IGNORED

Maxwell 48: The Maxwellhood of the Traveling Vest

Coconut Flan

20 hours ago, Hane said:

Pristopher’s sad sepia wedding gown pictures have such a “For lo, the flesh is as the grass/And all the goodliness of man/Is as the flower of grass/For, lo, the grass withereth/ And the flower of grass decayeth...” feel to them—as if “Your pathetic pretty wedding gown is worthless if you don’t know where you’re going to go when you die!”

(The lyrics above come from my recollections of something I once sang in a choir—college maybe? Was it Brahms’ Requiem? I’d be much obliged if anyone could tell me what that piece was— @thoughtful, maybe?)

2nd movement of Brahms German Requiem. 
Apologies if this was already answered; I’m way behind.  

• Thank You 5

50 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Thank you and @Bluebirdbluebell!

Rebellious, you say?  Hmmm....does the Christopher Maxwell family attend the church that the rest of the father ship attend these days? I confess to harboring a not so secret desire that he and Anna do their own little rebellion and start to break away from the fathership as well.

Problem is, of course, his substandard education and training in anything other than lawn maintenance. Who would bankroll any attempt of his at a really significant business?… Well, be optimistic Junebug, maybe Anna‘s father! Maybe his successful younger brother. I can hope.

The family who still lives on the compound go to the same church. I do hope that Chris and Anna have their own rebellion. However, AnnaMarie, to me, seems to be the fundiest wife of all the Maxwell daughter-in-laws. Plus, Chris seems to have leaned on his parents and sisters last year for help with running his home when AnnaMarie was seeking treatment. So, a rebellion against Steve may take a little more time for them. 

Edited by NancyDrewFan1989
clarification
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

The big takeaway from the pictures of jeans on Melanie and her daughters is that we see only what the Maxwells want us to see on their blog, and we only see the smallest slice of what the second-generation families are up to.

I doubt that Melanie ran out and bought jeans just to mulch Gigi's yard; these were already in the wardrobe and are probably worn whenever she thinks it's appropriate (yardwork.) She was wearing a skirt in the photos the next day, so she may also make an effort to wear skirts when she knows that she and her daughters will be around Steve and Teri, respecting their prejudices. So maybe Melanie and her family are rather more relaxed about skirts-only than has been shown on the blog, or even than Steve and Teri realize.

• Upvote 27
  • Thank You 2

I’ve seen pictures of Abby, Bethany and Christina in more “normal length” skirts (basically just not below the knee) with legging s under and to be honest that’s quite a common look anyway and I often haven’t thought twice when I see it - I see young girls wearing dresses with leggings a lot. It’s when the dress is longer that I think it’s pointless (unless it’s cold).

Now Ruthanne, Lydia and Elizabeth are a totally different story, Some of their outfits just remind me of the FLDS Mormons. There was photos last year, I think in the summer - long dresses with long sleeves, and sweat pants underneath. Totally unnecessary. One or the other, no need for so much layering. 

Isnt it just so convenient that the girls have to be modest and what the girls absolutely must wear is the item that makes it much harder to be “modest”?

Im in England. Our kids wear uniform to school. For the girls, stereotypically, it’s dresses in the summer (although most state schools like mine have thankfully made the uniform more flexible and they can now choose shorts or dress). 
The younger kids basically don’t care, they fly around the field doing cartwheels and all sorts and don’t give a damn what ends up on show. They shouldn’t! They change in front of each other for gym and stand around chatting in underwear. Boys and girls.
Older girls I am seeing lots of shorts or skorts. It’s natural to become more aware as you grow. 

I just don’t understand the constant talk of staying pure yet they break the girls innocence so early. They teach the girls that they must be covered to not cause a boy to lust. It goes against every child’s instincts and makes them way to aware way too young, it’s ridiculous.

Edited by allyisyourpally5
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Thank you and @Bluebirdbluebell!

Rebellious, you say?  Hmmm....does the Christopher Maxwell family attend the church that the rest of the father ship attend these days? I confess to harboring a not so secret desire that he and Anna do their own little rebellion and start to break away from the fathership as well.

Problem is, of course, his substandard education and training in anything other than lawn maintenance. Who would bankroll any attempt of his at a really significant business?… Well, be optimistic Junebug, maybe Anna‘s father! Maybe his successful younger brother. I can hope.

Christopher works for Joe, like Jesse.

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

I’ve seen pictures of Abby, Bethany and Christina in more “normal length” skirts (basically just not below the knee) with legging s under and to be honest that’s quite a common look anyway and I often haven’t thought twice when I see it - I see young girls wearing dresses with leggings a lot. It’s when the dress is longer that I think it’s pointless (unless it’s cold).

Now Ruthanne, Lydia and Elizabeth are a totally different story, Some of their outfits just remind me of the FLDS Mormons. There was photos last year, I think in the summer - long dresses with long sleeves, and sweat pants underneath. Totally unnecessary. One or the other, no need for so much layering. 

Isnt it just so convenient that the girls have to be modest and what the girls absolutely must wear is the item that makes it much harder to be “modest”?

Im in England. Our kids wear uniform to school. For the girls, stereotypically, it’s dresses in the summer (although most state schools like mine have thankfully made the uniform more flexible and they can now choose shorts or dress). 
The younger kids basically don’t care, they fly around the field doing cartwheels and all sorts and don’t give a damn what ends up on show. They shouldn’t! They change in front of each other for gym and stand around chatting in underwear. Boys and girls.
Older girls I am seeing lots of shorts or skorts. It’s natural to become more aware as you grow. 

I just don’t understand the constant talk of staying pure yet they break the girls innocence so early. They teach the girls that they must be covered to not cause a boy to lust. It goes against every child’s instincts and makes them way to aware way too young, it’s ridiculous.

The US is very uptight about the human body and sexuality. And "naughty" words. The patriarchy is still holding us in its grip. 

But, we are fine with guns and mass shootings and murdering people of color and open attempts to destroy democracy.

Basically, stay in England where you're safer & less in the grip of the American GOP and Evangelicals. 

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I read the new blog post about them mulching Gigi's yard. I know it's one of their favorite verses, but is anyone else struck by how intense the bible verse is at the end of the post. 

I just read this verse too  and thought how odd it is to post such a depressing verse after posting about a supposedly happy, family event. What does that verse have to do with the mulching event? Haha maybe it is a passive aggressive way for her to point out how horrible it was for the women to be wearing pants. 

• Upvote 6

Steve has a thing about that Redeeming the time verse.  He even wrote a book about it.

To him it means being productive all the time (except Sundays), and not wasting the time we are given on earth with, you know, fun.

• Upvote 10

Modesty is a difficult, personal thing because I think that we all agree that fundie standards are ridiculous and that total nudity for adults shouldn’t be allowed at a grocery store but the lines in the middle get all muddled. Some people are fine with kids being naked at a public pool, but some aren’t. It’s generally considered okay to change a young baby’s diaper in public, (like at a park, on the ground, not on a restaurant table) but what about an older toddler? When do you start teaching modesty to kids, and how do you do it so that they still love their bodies? At what age should a parent of the opposite sex begin covering up in front of their kid? How do you prevent sexual exploitation and abuse without scaring a kid? At what age is it no longer acceptable to bathe all of the cousins/siblings in one tub? With disabled kids, how do you teach them that their body is private when they also see all these doctors and therapists who handle their bodies and watch their bodies?

Its hard. But I think most parents are capable of teaching it right. But not Steve. And not jRod. They are wrong.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

To modesty: All this b.s. about causing a brother to stumble got me wondering how close that is to anyhthing that's actually in the Bible.  So I did a concordance search of "stumble" online and most of the verses have nothing to do with dresses, or male responses to seeing a female.

An awful lot of the verses refer to Jesus of Nazareth as the "stumbling block" for people who refuse to believe He was true God and true man.  

OVERWROUGHT GENERALIZATION HERE: Fundies muck up everything, but especially at s*x. That is all.

• Upvote 13

3 hours ago, moreorlessnu said:

After googling "hanging wedding dresses", this one made me laugh: 

https://elements.envato.com/backlit-elegant-wedding-dress-hanging-in-a-window-EXBFQV3

So, is this an example of how not photograph a hanging dress? I cant' stop laughing either. I can only imagine how the bride felt when she saw the photo. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, anachronistic said:

Its hard. But I think most parents are capable of teaching it right. But not Steve. And not jRod. They are wrong.

Steve is far from capable of teaching anything about modesty right. A couple of years ago he wrote a blog post about how he or one of his sons found themselves sinfully lusting because a woman was wearing a bathing suit and blamed their feelings on her. Plus, Steve and Teri made it clear they avoid public swimming areas like beaches, pools and lakes because they do not approve of bathing suits. Teri has been teaching her grandchildren to swim in a friends pool for a few years now. Then again, like it's been said the Maxwell's only choose what they want to see. So, for all we know the Maxwell daughters, granddaughters, and daughter in-laws have been wearing jeans for years. Here's to hoping one of the Maxwell grandchildren or kidults breaks free and writes a tell all with proof showing Steve and Teri being hypocrites. 

• Upvote 13

So what do the Maxgrands wear when they swim?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

So what do the Maxgrands wear when they swim?

Teri used to be a lifeguard and swimming instructor. She teaches the grandchildren in a private pool at a neighbor’s place. I'm not sure what they exactly wear. From the pics it looks like t-shirts and some longer swimming trunks. 

(I live in a country with nudist areas and mixed gender nude saunas and spas. We don't really have modest swim wear and most public pools ban swimming in leggins and t-shirts. Some allow burkinis if they are made of a proper fabric. The concept of swimming in modest clothes seems unsanitary and dangerous to me.)

Edited by Austrian Atheist
typos
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2

16 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

To modesty: All this b.s. about causing a brother to stumble got me wondering how close that is to anyhthing that's actually in the Bible.  So I did a concordance search of "stumble" online and most of the verses have nothing to do with dresses, or male responses to seeing a female.

An awful lot of the verses refer to Jesus of Nazareth as the "stumbling block" for people who refuse to believe He was true God and true man.  

OVERWROUGHT GENERALIZATION HERE: Fundies muck up everything, but especially at s*x. That is all.

And it's interesting that when Jesus talked about men lusting he didn't blame the woman at all.  He put the responsibility on the men.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

It's Memorial Day and there is no post about ABORTION.  I'm shocked.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

On 5/26/2021 at 6:51 PM, SassyPants said:

About Abby not looking happy... and this is not a knock on Abby, but more an indication of how odd and dysfunction the Maxwell’s’ approach is. Abby does not really fit in with how Steve likes to portray the family. All of the women tend to be dainty, exercise fiends, and Abby has a totally different frame. I hope to Bob that Steve does not make nasty comments or attempt to counsel her. She is at a tender, impressionable age. I hope the adults in that family are nothing but kind, loving and accepting of Abby for who she is and not who they think that she should be. Eff all that control, control, control and self deprivation.

My daughter was also a sturdy, stout girl from her toddlerhood.  Once we were at an outdoor BBQ and my parents, several siblings, and lots of kids were there.  Someone set out a big bowl of potato chips and all the kids gathered around, taking handfuls.

When my daughter, age 12, went to grab a handful too, my dad said "Are you sure you should eat those?  Look at yourself".  She is still humiliated and angry about his unkind remarks 20 years later.  And I'm angry at myself for not standing up to my extremely patriarchal, domineering father and telling him he has no right to criticize my daughter.

• Sad 18
  • WTF 3
  • Love 6

On 5/29/2021 at 1:26 PM, allyisyourpally5 said:

This reminds me of the quote about young kids wearing "too sexy" of clothes. (pardon me as I miss quote it)- if you think she's to young to wear it, she also too young to be invoke sexual thoughts by wearing it. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

Maxhell keeps rolling out the surprises this weekend! Today we're at the cemetery, where the family is honoring Grandad. Aunt Tami appears to be in town. Nate and Chris and their families appear to be the only "extended family" participating. And Mel and her girls are, once again, in pants. This time, capris! It looks like it was a crappy, rainy day at the cemetery, but skirts with those rain boots would've provided the exact same warmth and coverage. But my heart is warmed by seeing Nate's family break away from the legalism a bit. 

• Upvote 18

Lots of females in pants. I know that this is not the take away from this post but it makes me happy. C3A3021E-0EC5-45D5-92CD-3BAF7EE8ED8E.thumb.jpeg.fa396c2cd8306e064f91ad7d48842e8f.jpegA3E2C560-0E77-4235-A071-0FFCC97FBCC0.thumb.png.7429a356bf6977dcc79368babb30138d.png

• Upvote 14

43 minutes ago, Bethy said:

Maxhell keeps rolling out the surprises this weekend! Today we're at the cemetery, where the family is honoring Grandad. Aunt Tami appears to be in town. Nate and Chris and their families appear to be the only "extended family" participating. And Mel and her girls are, once again, in pants. This time, capris! It looks like it was a crappy, rainy day at the cemetery, but skirts with those rain boots would've provided the exact same warmth and coverage. But my heart is warmed by seeing Nate's family break away from the legalism a bit. 

I see John’s family off to one side. Mostly I see Elliot and part of Chelsy. So they were there. Basically everyone who still lives within a mile of the Maxborg was there. The ones who live outside of Leavenworth (Jesse and Joe) weren’t there. This is partly why I was glad to see them move away. Not because I want them to not go to the cemetery. But because they are now not expected to come to every single get together Steve and Teri orchestrate. And I say good for them. They need lives outside of Maxhell. I truly hope they are making a lot of friends and doing more things than are allowed in Maxhell. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, kpmom said:

And it's interesting that when Jesus talked about men lusting he didn't blame the woman at all.  He put the responsibility on the men.

And there was a time they brought 'a woman caught in adultery' before him (to try to trick him into either breaking their laws or get Rome upset (Rome took a dim view of other people handing out the death penalty)) and he used their own guilt against them until there was no one to accuse her.  But the question is what happened to the man caught in adultery?  Presumably the accusers were trying to cover up for him by getting rid of her and Jesus was having none of it.

• Upvote 11

• Coconut Flan locked this topic