IGNORED

Maxwell 48: The Maxwellhood of the Traveling Vest

Coconut Flan

I have some friends that I like to spend time with.  We usually go to a restaurant and get together every four months or so.  I like Olive Garden but hate going there with these particular friends.  One of the friends in the group loves to spend hours and hours there and really drives the poor waitresses crazy with her silly demands (more water, more this, more that..) long after normal groups have finished their meals.  To make up for this I always end up leaving an extra 20 dollars in tip for the poor thing who would like very much for us to leave already so she can serve other customers.   It's not a problem everywhere we go, but the OG is always ridiculously busy and she doesn't seem to get the message that we shouldn't really dawdle there.  

• Upvote 10

I hate that when groups think that because they made an order that they're entitled to the table for the morning, afternoon, or evening.  My daughter and her family had to give up one of their favorite breakfast spots because a couple groups of women started meeting for breakfast every Saturday morning at around 8 and held onto the tables until 11 while they chatted.  It's a very small place and it created very long waits for tables.  I asked the waiter why they didn't move them along or suggest an alternative and he said it would be bad for business.  I looked at him and said and people like us leaving isn't?  My SIL is a really great tipper since the grandkids came along.  He calls it the child tax because of either the extra trips or extra clean up or both.  I expect we were missed.  

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

Restaurants should add a mandatory 20% tip on any table that announces to the server that they are going to pray and asks what the server would like them to pray for. ?

Teri sure slipped out of that commenter's remark about leaving the tip by putting it squarely on Chelsy's shoulders, didn't she?

The server's praying that they get an actual monetary tip.  Also, that hairstyle really flatters NR Anna.  

Edited by FloraKitty35
added more to post
  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Why would the PG mom with a 2 YO and 1YO have to be the person to set it up? Why couldn’t Teri or Sarah arrange it? 

If setting up an enjoyable time was up to Sarah (or Teri, heaven forbid,) it would be scheduled for years down the road.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 9

On 6/24/2021 at 10:01 AM, fundiefan said:

OfChris looks wonderful. I hope that means she is healthy. I also know she won't do it because fundie women & long hair is like some kind of banner of specialness, but I would love it if she kept her hair short. It's got gorgeous curl and brings out her face so well. 

Recently read on Titus2 that AnnaChris will be letting her hair grow long. Each to her own, but I agree with you! The short, curly style is beautiful and very feminine. 

On 6/24/2021 at 3:46 PM, freejugar said:

When I read the post title, I thought of something completely different LOL.

Apparently Anna Marie is on a special diet

This is riveting!

Hope the driver (Teri? Sarah?) was driving a car with more than 5 seats/seatbelts … or, Rodrigues-like, did somebody have to squat on the wheel well for the drive back? 

• Upvote 4

On 6/25/2021 at 1:13 AM, Jasmar said:

Questions, I haz: What made Chelsy think any restaurant anywhere would let a diner bring in their own food? And what the heck, Olive Garden actually agreed? 

I mean, it’s nice because that meant Anna was able to participate, but it just seems very strange to me.

They probably told the place it was a cancer diet and got away with it.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

On 6/25/2021 at 7:54 AM, Bethy said:

And even more so if they made a big show of praying before the meal or asking the server how they could pray for them, and then tried to leave a stingy tip, but it got more than doubled by the automatic gratuity. That would amuse me.

As a Christian, the thought of pretentious religionists boasting about Jesus and then under tipping the server makes me think very unChristlike things.

9 hours ago, MomJeans said:

When Teri commented on the blog that she hopes this becomes an annual tradition I wanted to scream "Terri, this can be a monthly thing! You don't have to wait a year. 

She also has a little outdoor picnic with her grandchildren once a year. I bet she’s just overwhelmed at the thought of being with several people and the process of getting it set up. And also, she as much as said the lunch was f*n. Can’t be having too much of that in a life, can we now? 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

17 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

They probably told the place it was a cancer diet and got away with it.

A friend of mine who also has cancer and sees a homeopath (in addition to her regular oncologist) was given a suggestion of a special diet. She said it especially helped with the symptoms of the chemo and not having as many side effects from it. As Anna has seen a homeopath I imagine she is following something similar. 

I'm sure it is not uncommon for people to need to bring their own food into a restaurant. With the severity of food allergies these days I am sure it isn't an off the wall request. As going out to dinner is a really big social event it would be hard to always be left out.  if If it is for a health reason I'm sure a lot of restaurants are fine with it. It is good business to be inclusive of those with special dietary needs that the restaurant just can't accommodate.  

• Upvote 10

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

My daughter and her family had to give up one of their favorite breakfast spots because a couple groups of women started meeting for breakfast every Saturday morning at around 8 and held onto the tables until 11 while they chatted. 

OMFSM!  My absolute favorite restaurant had a group of arrogant, entitled women who weekly laid claim to about a fourth of the place’s Seats and played bridge, waiting until they’re dang good and ready to order. 

I was there one such day and couldn’t believe they got away with it. Our server advised us to avoid that day as it was a weekly occurrence. 

I, not giving one second’s concern to what any of the Bridgers would think of me, remarked loudly that that sounded VERY wrong.  Within about 10 minutes, their server came out and told them all that they would NOT be able to play without ordering first. 

There was a general huff from the card players and he shut it down immediately. “No,” he said, “we have customers waiting for tables and your orders coming in late create a jam in the kitchen. This is the LAST time you’re ordering late.”

The Currency Of Karens* sniffed their disgust but got their orders in.  The local Junior League used to cater to bridge groups, but it closed its cafe years ago. I guess they had migrated to the po’ side of town after that. 

I still love that place and so far haven’t re-encountered bridge day. Hope my streak continues. 

*A Currency Of Karens. Similar to “a murder of crows.”  I made the Karen one up. Like it? 

:?

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 15

9 hours ago, MomJeans said:

(I have a family member with a severe food allergy, and some restaurants will not allow him to bring his own food in.  It's likely a liability/insurance issue. For his part, he just calls ahead, and if it's a no-go, he eats before he goes, and orders bottled water.)

When Teri commented on the blog that she hopes this becomes an annual tradition I wanted to scream "Terri, this can be a monthly thing! You don't have to wait a year. You are an adult, if you want to have dinner with your daughters/in-laws, you can do so as much as you want!"

Just FYI on bringing your own food, in some jurisdictions it is a health code violation and a restaurant can get into a load of trouble.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Caroline said:

I have some friends that I like to spend time with.  We usually go to a restaurant and get together every four months or so.  I like Olive Garden but hate going there with these particular friends.  One of the friends in the group loves to spend hours and hours there and really drives the poor waitresses crazy with her silly demands (more water, more this, more that..) long after normal groups have finished their meals.  To make up for this I always end up leaving an extra 20 dollars in tip for the poor thing who would like very much for us to leave already so she can serve other customers.   It's not a problem everywhere we go, but the OG is always ridiculously busy and she doesn't seem to get the message that we shouldn't really dawdle there.  

I used to be part of a group that met semi-regularly in a diner. We met later in the evening, so not prime dinner time, but I had to have a stern talk with my group and say "Look, I know you only had a muffin, and you only had coffee, and you over there only had a glass of water, but we need to tip this at like 150% to make up for the fact that in the two hours we were here the server could've had a table full of people who actually ordered food and tipped accordingly.

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 4

18 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Just FYI on bringing your own food, in some jurisdictions it is a health code violation and a restaurant can get into a load of trouble.

Yes, that's why he calls ahead and asks permission, and doesn't bring food if they say no. Because the restaurant has liability issues.

Edited by MomJeans
  • Upvote 7

Rats.  I wish they had announced the party before it happened.  I would have gone to observe and give a report.  I know which OG they were at.  I'm not a fan, but my husband is, so I've eaten there.

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2021 at 3:17 PM, fundiefan said:

I think the Maxwells are so schedule-brainwashed that they have no concept of how to just live life. They're lost in the rules and specifics and the written schedule. To the point where I don't think there is anything healthy about it. 

Overscheduling is good if it helps a person in an acute depression. But one of the goals of therapy is to learn to cope with life again, the wonderful, sad, messy life and its uncertainties. But instead of getting depressed Teri the help she needed, Steve decided coldly and without consulting her to reverse his vasectomy so she would have more children she couldn‘t cope with. Her last resort was extreme scheduling with the result that her children grew up with an extremely unhealthy system. When I read Sarah‘s posts about everyone being so busy even though it doesn‘t seem to be so much it feels to me like a depressed person wrote that post. Except as far as we know Teri is the only one with that diagnosis. But for Sarah the „depressed way to live“ is the only way she knows and that‘s extremely concerning to me.

• Upvote 15

Here's another thing I was thinking about, regarding tipping: do the Maxwells have any concept of how hard the server is actually working? Given that these people think their lives are "so hectic" when from what we can observe, there is nothing happening, given that they're so hung up on scheduling mundane tasks like dusting their ceiling fans and polishing their cupboards - would any of them even be able to handle the hectic pace of a restaurant, whether sit-down or fast food? Do they know how low the server's base hourly pay is, and how much he/she relies on those tips? Or do they just figure that if it's a man, he should've educated himself better like they did, and that if it's a woman, well, she shouldn't be working outside the home anyway so it's fine if she doesn't make enough to pay her bills?

• Upvote 12

8 hours ago, MaryatHome said:

Rats.  I wish they had announced the party before it happened.  I would have gone to observe and give a report.  I know which OG they were at.  I'm not a fan, but my husband is, so I've eaten there.

Um, yeah, I believe that doing this might fall under ‘touching the poop’ and it just sounds like a really creepy, stalkerish thing to do. We know Steve reads here and comments like this probably make them more secretive, not less. It’s one thing to go to public conferences, public church services, or to legitimately randomly happen upon a family in the course of your own daily activities, but secretly observing a family group at a restaurant when they are just doing their own thing seems wrong to me.

You may have been joking here, in which case, I apologize. I just don’t want to give these families, who already think the Big Bad Blue Biden is spying on them, reason to hate their critics / liberals in general even more.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

I know many people who bring their own food to restaurants. I presume they've called ahead - I know for sure two of them have because I was there when they did. Every one of them has been allowed. 

I know health codes, liability, etc. are involved, but I think a key to being able to do it is being a reasonable person. Don't bring a 4 course dinner in a bag. Don't bring smelly food that can drift to other patrons. (Imagine eating at a pizza restaurant and someone opens their can of sardines next to you). Basically, just pack a lunch. 

I think, as with most things in life, if you're just not a dick about it, most places will accommodate you if they can

7 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

Um, yeah, I believe that doing this might fall under ‘touching the poop’ and it just sounds like a really creepy, stalkerish thing to do. We know Steve reads here and comments like this probably make them more secretive, not less. It’s one thing to go to public conferences, public church services, or to legitimately randomly happen upon a family in the course of your own daily activities, but secretly observing a family group at a restaurant when they are just doing their own thing seems wrong to me.

You may have been joking here, in which case, I apologize. I just don’t want to give these families, who already think the Big Bad Blue Biden is spying on them, reason to hate their critics / liberals in general even more.

I don't know what any of the emoji's mean and my eyes blurred trying to find one. But my response to that is *snort*. A couple of times. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

And besides, these are people who don't announce family WEDDINGS until after the blessed event has occurred. Ain't no way you're going to know when they're going to a restaurant.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Bethy said:

Here's another thing I was thinking about, regarding tipping: do the Maxwells have any concept of how hard the server is actually working? Given that these people think their lives are "so hectic" when from what we can observe, there is nothing happening, given that they're so hung up on scheduling mundane tasks like dusting their ceiling fans and polishing their cupboards - would any of them even be able to handle the hectic pace of a restaurant, whether sit-down or fast food? Do they know how low the server's base hourly pay is, and how much he/she relies on those tips? Or do they just figure that if it's a man, he should've educated himself better like they did, and that if it's a woman, well, she shouldn't be working outside the home anyway so it's fine if she doesn't make enough to pay her bills?

Honestly, the Maxes don’t strike me as the kind of fundies who would leave a tract in lieu of a tip. Regardless of the reasons, they have an admirable work ethic, respect hard work in others and I think they’re aware of how difficult the job of a server can be and how the poor the pay is. So while they may not go above and beyond what’s customary in their area, I can’t see them walking out leaving just a tract as a gratuity. 

I suppose now that two families live out of the area they have more to talk about these days but otherwise, I can’t imagine what kind of scintillating conversation a family could have when they’re up each other’s butts 90% of the time, don’t watch/read the news and know nothing of popular culture. And thank goodness, Abby wasn’t included. She’s not an adult so let her have at lease some semblance of life as a teen, even though she was most likely picking up the slack for Melanie while she was gone. 

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, sparkles said:

Honestly, the Maxes don’t strike me as the kind of fundies who would leave a tract in lieu of a tip.

This might be one of those FJ speculations about the Maxwells that mysteriously turned into "fact" over the years.  Memory fails as to whether the Maxwells have actually stiffed servers by leaving a tract instead of a tip, but they certainly leave plenty of tracts for servers. 

But, of course, they really like to go above and beyond by asking how they can pray for the server too.  That one is indelibly engraved on my memory, as is Steve's very unusual self-justifying response to a reader's negative comment.

Here you go:  https://blog.titus2.com/2010/11/30/to-care-or-not-to-care/

The comments are worth reading too.

The link Steve gives there to the original post is broken.  Perhaps they wiped it along with the wedding that didn't happen posts as too embarrassing.  It was quite exceptionally bad even by Maxwell standards.  Someone clever with the Wayback machine may be able to unearth it, however.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2

14 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

The link Steve gives there to the original post is broken.  Perhaps they wiped it along with the wedding that didn't happen posts as too embarrassing.  It was quite exceptionally bad even by Maxwell standards.  Someone clever with the Wayback machine may be able to unearth it, however.

I think this is it: https://web.archive.org/web/20110809010101/www.titus2.com/blog/index.php/2010/11/13/an-unusual-birthday-a-day-in-the-life-of-anna/

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

That birthday report kills me. Super good example of Sarah/the family reporting “since Anna has graduated, she’s busier than ever!!1!” when her day was Bible study, playing with a niece at granddad and Gigi’s, and cleaning the stove. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

Yes!  Many thanks.  Anna's birthday post is such a classic, and not in a good way.

"Dad asked the waitress how we could pray for her, and she was surprised by such a request and paused. She asked us to pray for “strength,” and upon inquiring what that exactly meant, she said she was a single mom and needed “strength.” We definitely prayed for that and for her salvation! "

I think the waitress said. "God give me strength!" when confronted with the Maxwell family.

Yes, all single moms must need salvation, in the gospel according to the Maxwells.  They did at least get one critical comment that must have burned Steve enough to respond. .

• Upvote 16

38 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

This might be one of those FJ speculations about the Maxwells that mysteriously turned into "fact" over the years.  Memory fails as to whether the Maxwells have actually stiffed servers by leaving a tract instead of a tip, but they certainly leave plenty of tracts for servers. 

But, of course, they really like to go above and beyond by asking how they can pray for the server too.  That one is indelibly engraved on my memory, as is Steve's very unusual self-justifying response to a reader's negative comment.

Here you go:  https://blog.titus2.com/2010/11/30/to-care-or-not-to-care/

The comments are worth reading too.

Oh, I know they leave tracts and that they always try to witness or whatever to people who really don’t have the time (and most likely the inclination) for that crap but I’m just saying I don’t think they do that exclusively in place of a tip. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic