IGNORED

Maxwell 48: The Maxwellhood of the Traveling Vest

Coconut Flan

33 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

Fundies constantly do that. It’s just one of the phrases they like to use to set themselves apart from those godless heathens. Same with “making memories as a family”. They put this label on pretty much everything they do with their kids, as if they were the only families ever spending time together. Some of them seem obsessed with the phrase. I keep thinking “just enjoy the moment - it doesn’t need an Instagram post hashtagged #makingmemories to be memorable.” 

Pretty much, my fundie watching has ruined the phrase "as a family" for me entirely. I cringe when I hear it and I make immediate judgments about people when I hear it. Justifiably, no. But, that doesn't change my immediate reaction to that phrase. What is the opposite of doing it "as a family"? Like, when you have dinner together "as a family" - what are others doing? What did you used to do when you all sat at the table & ate, you know, in the days before your entire life became "as a family"? 

"Making memories" is a freaking oxymoron. You don't MAKE memories. Memories happen as part of being a conscious human being. When I went to Walgreens the other day and ran into the brother of a high school friend who passed away, I was flooded with memories, happy & sad, of the life his sister & I shared as friends, the life I shared with their family as I hung around their house more often than not, as I reconnected with her many years after high school, as she got sick, as I attended her funeral. My life with her was not "making memories as friends" - it was living life and I remembered it. I have some great memories; I didn't make the memories, they are there because of the life I lived. Not all memories are good, and every human knows that. The things your family dealt with "as a family", like illness or death or loss of job or whatever happens in life that isn't sunshine & roses - did you all "make memories as a family" as you went through it or are you all going to completely forget it because your brain is only full of the things you choose to designate as memories worth making? 

Then, for fundies & all the perfect people out there to constantly be "making memories as a family" - I just want to freaking barf. 

They've turned living life into a hashtag and they're holding onto it for dear life. Because they are so damn special and all the heathens out there who don't make memories and aren't living life as a family are just worthless trash and are missing out. Our memories will be made by others who aren't our families and our minds will explode later with all the mixed up memories & people & human relationships.

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 13

1 hour ago, EmmieJ said:

I have one in-law that posts so.much.stuff - all about the trips she and family members take, or more recently, talking about how her husband leaves her handwritten love notes every day, and how blessed she is.  I'm glad that she appears to be happy in her life, but I do sometimes wonder if it's a case of "she doth protest too much."

I have a relative like this, she constantly posts on social media and it's all the "fun" things she and her family are doing.    Happy pictures of the kids, happy pictures of her and her husband, the latest trips etc.   Happy, happy, joy, joy to the point that I wonder if she's doing the same thing "protesting too much".  

• Upvote 13

At least we know from the post that Anna 3.0 isn't pregnant. Sarah wished a happy Father's Day to all her other brothers. Still keeping my fingers crossed that Anna is attending college in KC.

• Upvote 9
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 3

28 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

At least we know from the post that Anna 3.0 isn't pregnant. Sarah wished a happy Father's Day to all her other brothers. Still keeping my fingers crossed that Anna is attending college in KC.

That doesn't mean anything to me. It just means she hasn't given birth yet. I would not count someone as father until the baby is born or the adopted child moves in, etc. 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

That doesn't mean anything to me. It just means she hasn't given birth yet. I would not count someone as father until the baby is born or the adopted child moves in, etc. 

I wouldn't either, but the Maxwell's probably would because they are very much of the "life begins at the moment of conception" variety. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 5

7 minutes ago, DonutWench said:

I wouldn't either, but the Maxwell's probably would because they are very much of the "life begins at the moment of conception" variety. 

I don't think so. I don't remember them wishing other sons "Happy Father's Day" before the baby is born. 

21 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

That father's day post is short. It's less than 10 sentences and less than 100 words. 

I dislike Steve Maxwell immensely and I could have written a better post.  

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 3

22 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

That father's day post is short. It's less than 10 sentences and less than 100 words. 

With the Maxwells, my thought is always, "The less said, the better." So ... good on whoever strained it out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

It's just all tell, no show. We all know Steve is an awful dad but he has done some things that are not horrid. Played on the floor with the grandkids. Helped Sarah pick her first car. That kind of thing. They should expand on those anecdotes rather than the bland "god blah blah investing blah we're better than you" 

• Upvote 9
  • Bless Your Heart 1

20 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I don't judge.  Whatever the  man and woman feel comfortable with, I respect it.  I had an aunt who didn't have any children.  She lost her only baby when she was six months pregnant.  She told people that she was a mother to one child who passed.  It brought her comfort.  

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Foudeb said:

It's just all tell, no show. We all know Steve is an awful dad but he has done some things that are not horrid. Played on the floor with the grandkids. Helped Sarah pick her first car. That kind of thing. They should expand on those anecdotes rather than the bland "god blah blah investing blah we're better than you" 

I don’t think they know how. To them you show how Godly you are by talking about it. It would never occur to them that there are people living God’s word who never talk about religion but lead by example. Nor that there are many people who don’t believe in God but actually live their lives more in lines with his teachings than those who go to church every Sunday. I don’t think they see playing with the grandkids or helping a daughter buy the perfect car means much if a man isn’t letting people know where they will go when they die. They see Steve as extraordinary because they think he goes above and beyond to make sure his family lives by the rules of fundamentalism he has created which will keep them favor with God. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

14 hours ago, Foudeb said:

When I was in school one of my professors said that just about every class. I had her for most of my written communication courses, from technical to grant to creative. Anyway, no one in Steve's family (those great communicators he's made) would have passed any of her courses.

Don't (freaking) tell your audience anything. Show them everything. 

Steve & his spawn have no concept of that as a communication tool, or as a life's tool. They are incapable of understanding it in theory and would cry in their burritos trying to grasp the concept.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

I highly doubt Anna C is attending college. Didn’t Jesse write a post a while back about why he’d be homeschooling his children? Obviously college is not the same, but I doubt he’d be allowing his wife to attend a college, particularly a secular one. Even a Christian college likely wouldn’t meet the Maxwell’s exacting standards. Besides, Steve Maxwell has always been very much against being taught things by other people. I remember someone commented on a post ages ago, saying she was thinking about taking photography classes. Steve “advised” her to not take the classes and just teach herself with books. 

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I highly doubt Anna C is attending college. Didn’t Jesse write a post a while back about why he’d be homeschooling his children? Obviously college is not the same, but I doubt he’d be allowing his wife to attend a college, particularly a secular one. Even a Christian college likely wouldn’t meet the Maxwell’s exacting standards. Besides, Steve Maxwell has always been very much against being taught things by other people. I remember someone commented on a post ages ago, saying she was thinking about taking photography classes. Steve “advised” her to not take the classes and just teach herself with books. 

Sure, but how long ago did Jesse write this post? I believe he had just graduated high school. Do any of us have the exact same convictions (on anything!) we did when we graduated high school? There is a good chance that Jesse has changed a bit in the last few years as he has gotten "out" of the compound and seen a little more of the world. It may be slow but I hold out hope that some of the Maxwell children are taking small steps away. 

Edited by ElizaB
  • Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

@ElizaB ok, fair point. College would be a pretty huge step! Possibly Jesse would still feel a bit ‘weird’ attending college himself given how anti-college Steve was, but wouldn’t have a problem with Anna attending since she didn’t grow up in that kind of family (actually, I have no idea what the Craigs believe about college). I know a lot of fundies disdain college, but the Maxwells have always had that “teach yourself, don’t learn from other people” thing about them. Of course teaching yourself can be a great thing, but for Steve it’s much more about avoiding “outside (aka negative) influences”.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, ElizaB said:

Sure, but how long ago did Jesse write this post? I believe he had just graduated high school. Do any of us have the exact same convictions (on anything!) we did when we graduated high school? There is a good chance that Jesse has changed a bit in the last few years as he has gotten "out" of the compound and seen a little more of the world. It may be slow but I hold out hope that some of the Maxwell children are taking small steps away. 

I think college could happen for any of them, but not yet. They aren't "there" yet. And, honestly? If they stay economically fine (which they are likely to do if they are debt free) why would they? I have two college degrees and wouldn't trade that experience for anything. But many of my classmates who didn't "bother" going make more than I do. It isn't all about $$ but college is just not their world. Period. If it happens, celebrate. But don't hold your breath. I'd love to see Sarah say "to hell with it, no husband, I might as well go get a degree in X" and just do it. Or I'd love to hear that Anna Maxwell-from-birth is secretly doing a degree in anything but .... she might as well keep embroidering tea napkins for her Victorian hope chest. She won't leave the fold. Curmudgeonly tonight! LOL FREE the Maxwell daughters!

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

@ElizaB ok, fair point. College would be a pretty huge step! Possibly Jesse would still feel a bit ‘weird’ attending college himself given how anti-college Steve was, but wouldn’t have a problem with Anna attending since she didn’t grow up in that kind of family (actually, I have no idea what the Craigs believe about college). I know a lot of fundies disdain college, but the Maxwells have always had that “teach yourself, don’t learn from other people” thing about them. Of course teaching yourself can be a great thing, but for Steve it’s much more about avoiding “outside (aka negative) influences”.

Don't the Craigs have at least one daughter that is attending college (or graduated?). I do agree it would be a huge step for any Maxwell, but I think it is more likely to happen from someone married in if college is normal for their family. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, Foudeb said:

Bless your heart, you’re being kind and offering good advice to this Crackpot and his minions.

*I* say: Let them keep on with the investing and the banality-ing. it’s much more likely to turn more people off their stupid ideas than to attract them to a Maxhellish way of life. 

Free everyone else, keep Steve & Teri in their self-made morass! :D 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

Don't the Craigs have at least one daughter that is attending college (or graduated?). I do agree it would be a huge step for any Maxwell, but I think it is more likely to happen from someone married in if college is normal for their family. 

Anna's oldest sister Rachael graduated. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

The MaxKids were taught to parrot Steve’s beliefs, but there has absolutely been some transgressions among the boys. Wives in pants, attending church, apartment living, non-debt free homes, what is shared online, by whom, and when. Their beliefs are so rigid and ridiculous. I could absolutely see Anna Craig or someone like her smiling brightly and being like “what the fuck ever” when advised that college isn’t godly, and then going right on to do this thing they know isn’t a religious issue. Whether or not she did I don’t know. Chelsy is John’s little firecracker and it’s totally possibly that Anna is a firecracker too. 

• Upvote 10

If they plan on homeschooling, then it would be in their best interests for Anna to attend college.  It would be great if she is taking classes towards an education degree, and hopefully Jesse realizes it.  He had the nerve to rent an apartment that was thirty minutes away from the mothership, so maybe his perspective on life is slowly growing.  Teri attended / graduated (?) college, and look how poorly she handled homeschooling.  Maybe the kidults are realizing that their education was lacking.  And without credentials, their options are also limited, though I'm glad that they are doing well in their programming field.  Many people without degrees or technical training are not that lucky.  However, maybe that is not the field that they were initially interested it, but it was their only feasible option.  Look at Christopher - he was interested in being an EMT, but Steve talked him out of it.  Now he is doing a little photography, some lawn maintenance and working for his brother's company, but doesn't seem to be successful at any of it.  His options are limited, and this is his parents' fault for brainwashing him.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, crawfishgirl said:

If they plan on homeschooling, then it would be in their best interests for Anna to attend college.  It would be great if she is taking classes towards an education degree

Almost no one who homeschools does this though. I would doubt that's the plan.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2

Just realized that not only Jesse and John are hiring people but also Nathan. They seem to do well in the IT business. I wonder how they are able to find staff outside the family. Are they allowed to ask for religious beliefs and political views in an interview? It's forbidden in my country. If you are asked certain prohibited questions you even are allowed to lie.

Also Anna no.1 has her own linkedin page. She works for both companies. Is she allowed to have contacts to the non-maxwell employees? Is she allowed to talk to non-christian customers? Maybe Anna no.3 also works towards some kind of IT certification?

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Austrian Atheist said:

Are they allowed to ask for religious beliefs and political views in an interview? 

No and No.  legally, an employer cannot ask anything personal or that doesn’t relate to the job.  So questions about the above, or marital status, number of children/dependents, address (if it’s not on the resume, and more frequently it’s not), pets, hobbies, etc.  They can’t ask about a car unless it’s required for the job duties; otherwise they are limited to “do you have reliable transportation?” because transportation can be public transit or rides from other people.  Now, the candidate can volunteer any of this info, and once they do the employer can do with it what they choose; but any good career counselor will encourage job hunters not to do that.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

4 hours ago, Austrian Atheist said:

Just realized that not only Jesse and John are hiring people but also Nathan. They seem to do well in the IT business. I wonder how they are able to find staff outside the family. Are they allowed to ask for religious beliefs and political views in an interview? It's forbidden in my country. If you are asked certain prohibited questions you even are allowed to lie.

Also Anna no.1 has her own linkedin page. She works for both companies. Is she allowed to have contacts to the non-maxwell employees? Is she allowed to talk to non-christian customers? Maybe Anna no.3 also works towards some kind of IT certification?

They could probably hire of people that they find through church. I also remember Nathan hiring homeschool graduates that were family friends through conferences and graduates of Itonramp (or whatever that was called). I imagine most of their hires are not random strangers from the internet- which truth be told is probably the case with most small businesses. 

• Upvote 9

• Coconut Flan locked this topic