IGNORED

Maxwell 48: The Maxwellhood of the Traveling Vest

Coconut Flan

Ok, I think I have found the house, it looks like it's probably the same looking at the realtor.com site and the Maxwell's blog pictures. BUT I could only find it under Anna's name.  When I put in Jesse Maxwell, nothing came up.  ?

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2021 at 4:25 AM, Alisamer said:

being able to get up and down from sitting on the floor is an indicator of health or something

Certainly an indication of how your knee joints are going! I am still recovering from a knee injury (long term cause sport, but something just snapped while I was walking to the train station) and right now sitting crosslegged or getting down to or up from the floor just feels painful to think about. Kneeling also out for the moment, which is at least meaning I'm doing lots of "from the hips" stretches to pick light things up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 8

On 6/9/2021 at 8:33 PM, Bethy said:

It's not like they need a unique name...are they worried about her being one of five Emmas in her kindergarten class? Oh wait - she IS the kindergarten class!

Seriously though, Deborah in the Bible was kind of a badass. She was a prophet and judge (the only female judge mentioned in the Bible) so it's almost surprising that a family with the kind of rigid gender roles the Maxes follow would name a kid after her. That being said, they needed a D name, and there are only three that spring to mind - Deborah, Delilah (out for obvious reasons) and Damaris, who literally only gets a mention as one of the followers of Christ in the early church ("and also a woman named Damaris" or something like that - we know literally nothing about her except her name.)

Don’t forget Dorcas.

• Upvote 6

I know I said it myself only a few pages back that women and girls wearing pants (particularly during physical work or exercise) shouldn't be seen as a sign of families suddenly turning progressive - but I was still super surprised to see ALL of the women (except Teri, and possibly except Sarah whose legs weren't visible) wearing pants for Jesse's house move. 

This is definitely the type of activity where they've been photographed on the blog doing while wearing skirts previously, so I have to think that Steve has relaxed his policies on them. Maybe he feels that once the girls reach a certain age they can be trust in pants? If Anna and Mary managed to persuade him then good on them. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

On 6/10/2021 at 10:18 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Personally their need to document every mundane activity with candids to post would be one of the worst things about being part of that family for me.  One, I'd be telling Sarah that unless she's shooting a documentary to put the damn camera down and actually help or get out of the way.  (I get super cranky when moving and would resent someone appointing themselves official photog.)

Two, who the heck can move while remaining camera ready?  Is this something other people can do and I'm the only one who would be a hot mess with a messy bun and scowling countenance?  

And to their many hands make light work caption?  Group chores are a nightmare for me.  You cut the lawn while I mop the kitchen, awesome.  Let's move out clean an apartment together?  No, I will clean and you will go find something to do so you're out of my way.  

Teri's disposition would look positively sunny next to mine were I a Maxwell.

I love this! I was wondering why the hell everyone looks so happy! I hate moving and I hate cleaning. My family would definitely not be smiling and laughing, especially the children.  I love your comment about Sarah.  Maybe this is her sly way of getting out of the work. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

@MamaJunebug,  I was trying to remember Dorcas!  I knew there was another D name and the name Tabitha kept coming to mind.  Tabitha is the same name as Dorcas.  It's weird that I couldn't remember Dorcas as there is a chapter in one of my favorite books The Peninsula by Louise Dickinson Rich about the Dorcas Society on the Gouldsboro Peninsula in Maine.  They were/are a group of women on the peninsula that met one afternoon a week to sew/knit/crochet things for the summer fair, cook food for invalids and otherwise do "good works and almsdeeds" as Dorcas in the Bible did.  This same group of women met on another weekday afternoon to do the same thing, but they didn't call themselves the Dorcas Society.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@MamaJunebug,  I was trying to remember Dorcas!  I knew there was another D name and the name Tabitha kept coming to mind.  Tabitha is the same name as Dorcas.  It's weird that I couldn't remember Dorcas as there is a chapter in one of my favorite books The Peninsula by Louise Dickinson Rich about the Dorcas Society on the Gouldsboro Peninsula in Maine.  They were/are a group of women on the peninsula that met one afternoon a week to sew/knit/crochet things for the summer fair, cook food for invalids and otherwise do "good works and almsdeeds" as Dorcas in the Bible did.  This same group of women met on another weekday afternoon to do the same thing, but they didn't call themselves the Dorcas Society.

Love stories about women, love Maine, thank you for the book mention!!

• Upvote 4

Debbie reminds me of a younger Abigail in this picture. Abigail had a similar grin at that age.

9E976CBF-F7CA-402B-AFBB-460CB5BC7B4E.thumb.jpeg.dc9e44cec81afad6c7b07fe5e5874e8a.jpeg

• Upvote 8

They celebrated Gigi's birthday - and told of it in a very painful way.

The Maxwell homeskooled lifelong learners would do well to take a writing class. A real writing class. They cannot tell a story to save their lives. Seriously. A 10 year old could tell the story of great grandma's birthday better than Sarah did. 

Reading books would help too, but we know that will never happen. They might read a word that contradicts what they've been told. 

• Upvote 11
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 2

OMG, that picture of Debbie is freaking me out a bit.  Go back and look at the baby pictures of Abbie - she is an absolute dead ringer for her big sister!

And color me SHOCKED that both Debbie and Axton are wearing amber necklaces.  IMO that's a pretty damn crunchy/woo thing for any Maxwells to do.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

OMG, that picture of Debbie is freaking me out a bit.  Go back and look at the baby pictures of Abbie - she is an absolute dead ringer for her big sister!

And color me SHOCKED that both Debbie and Axton are wearing amber necklaces.  IMO that's a pretty damn crunchy/woo thing for any Maxwells to do.

Chelsy’s family is into woo and she probably influenced the other Max wives. I hate amber necklaces. They are one of the stupidest woo gimmicks I’ve ever heard. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 10

I despise the amber baby necklaces.  They are a big thing in Mormon circles too.  My husband is an ExMo, and every family event we attend on his side of the family we see amber necklaces on babies. We secretly joke it's a way to pick out the anti-vaxxers in the family. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, MomJeans said:

We secretly joke it's a way to pick out the anti-vaxxers in the family. 

Yep.  The only person I know IRL who did that is a former acquaintance who put them on all 3 of her kids.  They've already had the mumps, who knows what else they'll get before they grow up.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 2

36 minutes ago, MomJeans said:

I despise the amber baby necklaces.  They are a big thing in Mormon circles too.  My husband is an ExMo, and every family event we attend on his side of the family we see amber necklaces on babies. We secretly joke it's a way to pick out the anti-vaxxers in the family. 

That's what a few of my friends & I say, Anti vaxxers don't need to be worried about being "marked" for not having had the COVID vaccine, they let the world know all by themselves. And those amber necklaces are just one of the ways they do it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

I admit I have a cousin who put those stupid amber things on her babies years ago. I think she is just the type to do what is “popular.” Thankfully she is not anti-vaccine and was thrilled to get her covid vaccine a few months ago. 

• Upvote 7

I'm pretty crunchy in many regards but I just can't with the amber necklaces either. There is zero scientific reasoning behind them. Not to mention that babies 4-10 months are most bothered by teething, and that age is also the worst for suffocation hazard from the beads or the necklace itself. By the time they're Axton and Debbie's age, they have most of their teeth and the discomfort is minimal, so the necklace is totally a status symbol to signal that the parent is into natural remedies.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 10

Oh man my son rocked an amber necklace. I didn’t think it did much but he looked like a little hippie. I also nursed him until he was three and co-slept until I got together with my now husband when he was four. He is fully vaccinated though! 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 8

Please tell me that Sarah TRIES to write in the most awkward manner possible:

"Our aunt and her husband (so Gigi’s daughter and my mom’s sister)"

Good grief.

Now, if Gigi wants to share that goodie box, I'm in--that looked delicious.

• Upvote 20

Today's helpful hint for Sarah:  your aunt's husband is your uncle.  You're welcome.  ?

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, danvillebelle said:

Today's helpful hint for Sarah:  your aunt's husband is your uncle.  You're welcome.  ?

Maybe Aunt Tami's husband doesn't know where he's going when he dies so that's why Sarah won't call him Uncle.

Edited by SPHASH
  • Upvote 13
  • Haha 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic