IGNORED

Maxwell 48: The Maxwellhood of the Traveling Vest

Coconut Flan

@Bethy, I was pleasantly surprised to see 3nna listed as co-owner of the house. Didn’t one of the Maxwell sons propose by giving his fiancée a key to his house?

• Upvote 8

There's also a woman named Dorcas in the Bible. She was known for her "'good works and acts of mercy,' sewing clothes for the poor." If Debbie had been a Dorcas, maybe she could have become known for replacing contrasting buttons on the aunts' clothing.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 12

15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I only know one Damaris in real life. It’s a rare name indeed. But I’m kind of wondering if Pris and Pecan will use it since they use D for daughters. It’s Davia and Destiny already. They seem to like less common fundie names so maybe they will go with Damaris. 

It seems to be about 50/50% on who goes for Bible names and who for other names. If they have many boys they'll be to ones like Preston and Payton before long. Girls--maybe Darcy or Daisy? But IBLP doesn't like girls getting male names so Darcy might be seen that way. Or they could spell it weird.Darci or something (Like Jordyn Duggar)

On 6/8/2021 at 10:30 PM, Bethy said:

I know we've snarked pretty hard on Kristina (Arby's proposal) on here, but when she started wearing pants she was like, "I realized I was doing skirts only because that's what my parents said, and I didn't believe it was necessary myself, so I stopped." I had a lot of respect for that.

Wow! I'd forgotten all about the amazing Arby's marriage proposal! Are they still married???

On 6/8/2021 at 10:34 PM, ElizaB said:

I just hope the day comes when the Maxwells out themselves as super liberal hippies who have had their entire internet persona as a piece of performance art. 

I think J-Rod wins the performance art bit with this Oscar-worthy "film"

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, NoseyNellie said:

I looked through the post a few times. Looks like there is a photo of pretty much every family member BUT the homeowners ... passive aggressive much? (or am I missing it?)

Personally their need to document every mundane activity with candids to post would be one of the worst things about being part of that family for me.  One, I'd be telling Sarah that unless she's shooting a documentary to put the damn camera down and actually help or get out of the way.  (I get super cranky when moving and would resent someone appointing themselves official photog.)

Two, who the heck can move while remaining camera ready?  Is this something other people can do and I'm the only one who would be a hot mess with a messy bun and scowling countenance?  

And to their many hands make light work caption?  Group chores are a nightmare for me.  You cut the lawn while I mop the kitchen, awesome.  Let's move out clean an apartment together?  No, I will clean and you will go find something to do so you're out of my way.  

Teri's disposition would look positively sunny next to mine were I a Maxwell.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1

15 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:
15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It seems to be about 50/50% on who goes for Bible names and who for other names. If they have many boys they'll be to ones like Preston and Payton before long. Girls--maybe Darcy or Daisy? But IBLP doesn't like girls getting male names so Darcy might be seen that way. Or they could spell it weird.Darci or something (Like Jordyn Duggar)

Paul in the Bible converted Damaris. And their oldest is Paul. I bet they will use Damaris because of that connection. 

• Upvote 8

Unless the boys took direct, intentional steps after getting married to put their wives names on the houses, they are not. It's not an automatic thing upon marriage. Just marrying doesn't put their name on the mortgage or title. They could refinance to get her name on the mortgage without having to go through all the legal hoops, but they claim to be mortgage free.

Jesse bought his house after marriage so - he knew his wife's name a the time of purchasing the house and could put her name on it. Same with the house Joe just bought. 

Not so much for John, Chris & Nathan. Hell, if they're into putting their "intended's" name on the title when buying the house, Joe's first house would have been in Elizabeth Munck's name, because she was the love of his life during the month he bought the house. 

• Upvote 10

21 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Unless the boys took direct, intentional steps after getting married to put their wives names on the houses, they are not. It's not an automatic thing upon marriage. Just marrying doesn't put their name on the mortgage or title. They could refinance to get her name on the mortgage without having to go through all the legal hoops, but they claim to be mortgage free.

Jesse bought his house after marriage so - he knew his wife's name a the time of purchasing the house and could put her name on it. Same with the house Joe just bought. 

Not so much for John, Chris & Nathan. Hell, if they're into putting their "intended's" name on the title when buying the house, Joe's first house would have been in Elizabeth Munck's name, because she was the love of his life during the month he bought the house. 

But Nathan's house is only in Melanie's name?  Also, these guys are supposed to be providers, their wives names should be on the houses to give them one less things to do in the event of their death.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

But Nathan's house is only in Melanie's name?  Also, these guys are supposed to be providers, their wives names should be on the houses to give them one less things to do in the event of their death.  

?? I'm not sure what you're questioning - me or the Maxwells?

I didn't know their house was in only her name. If that's the case, they both had to have intentionally taken the steps to do so after their marriage. 

I didn't say it's impossible just that it's not automatic when you get married. If you want joint names on a house already purchased under one name, there are legal hoops to jump and steps to take. and that costs money and can be a huge PITA - although not impossible. Depending on the state, a quitclaim deed could do the trick but there are still loopholes that need to be closed.

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

?? I'm not sure what you're questioning - me or the Maxwells?

I didn't know their house was in only her name. If that's the case, they both had to have intentionally taken the steps to do so after their marriage. 

I didn't say it's impossible just that it's not automatic when you get married. If you want joint names on a house already purchased under one name, there are legal hoops to jump and steps to take. and that costs money and can be a huge PITA - although not impossible. Depending on the state, a quitclaim deed could do the trick but there are still loopholes that need to be closed.

Sorry, I'm always questioning the Maxwells :) 

I agree with you, it has to be deliberate but it's something I would do if to protect my spouse unless there is some estate thing where it's easy to transfer after a spouse dies.  I just know dealing with my mom's house after she died was a pain with having to show death certificate for everything and if I were married I'd want to save my partner the hassle.  

• Upvote 6

Ultimately it comes down to state laws on community property combined with having a will and / or trust. 

Then you don't need to deal with the nitty gritty details of titles, car titles, bank accounts, etc....it's smarter to hold them all jointly, and easier in transition process for the survivor(s) but we're (as in most state laws) way past the days where the man made the money & got everything because his name was on it or left his survivors nothing because they held nothing in their name. 

I don't give the Maxwells credit for a lot but they are obsessive planners. No doubt, every i is dotted and every t is crossed and they have wills and trusts and investments and everything and anything else. I doubt any wife would be left hanging if anything happened to the man of the family. 

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Wow! I'd forgotten all about the amazing Arby's marriage proposal! Are they still married???

Yes - she was homeschooling the kids (there are five, total) at first, but then decided she couldn't meet their needs and sent them to public school. (Last I knew she pulled them again to homeschool this past winter/early spring, since online learning was turning into such a huge disaster, which I also can't snark on. A lot of parents had to make tough calls and found that sitting in front of screens for seven straight hours every day wasn't working for their kids.) She was keeping a blog for a while and was really open about struggling with anxiety and how unhelpful church people can be when it comes to mental health issues. Of all the fundies I have followed over the years I feel like she's one of the ones who's shown the most growth. It's not just about the pants - she's dealt with a lot of things, and been open about the ways Christians are often unhelpful in their responses.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, Bethy said:

Yes - she was homeschooling the kids (there are five, total) at first, but then decided she couldn't meet their needs and sent them to public school. (Last I knew she pulled them again to homeschool this past winter/early spring, since online learning was turning into such a huge disaster, which I also can't snark on. A lot of parents had to make tough calls and found that sitting in front of screens for seven straight hours every day wasn't working for their kids.) She was keeping a blog for a while and was really open about struggling with anxiety and how unhelpful church people can be when it comes to mental health issues. Of all the fundies I have followed over the years I feel like she's one of the ones who's shown the most growth. It's not just about the pants - she's dealt with a lot of things, and been open about the ways Christians are often unhelpful in their responses.

She's also a Q follower. 

There is a crazy "preacher" I was following for a while who claimed to have the inside scoop on tRump declaring Martial Law and all that - I found him because Ms. Kristina is a fan/follower of his. She believes the election was stolen, blah, blah, blah. 

She may have taken a less legalistic approach to anxiety - because she actually has to deal with it. But everything else? She's right there with the rest of the evangelical tRumpers who think Lin Wood was given a raw deal and the My Pillow guy has all the answers.

Same with homeschooling/not homeschooling. She's been confronted with it and had to make a choice. 

It's not that she has opened her mind, it's as closed as it's always been to "other" people and "other" problems and "other" issues. The only things she opens her mind about are what is directly in front of her and what directly affects her life. 

The rest of the world - she see's Q as the answer; ain't no growth there. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 11

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I looked on the Leavenworth county website and Nathan and Melanie are both listed as owners. Christopher alone is listed for his. I cant find John or Chelsy, have they moved or do they rent? (Or I could be reading it wrong)

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

7 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I think J-Rod wins the performance art bit with this Oscar-worthy "film"

If I took a shot for every time she said um I would be drunk in less than two minutes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

If I took a shot for every time she said um I would be drunk in less than two minutes. 

I got 60 seconds in and couldn't watch anymore.

Talk about brainwashing. 

If she was being "protected" from public/private school she wouldn't hold so much disdain for either without experience. She has been told and groomed. 

Those skinny kids don't have a chance in hell of being productive, contributing members of society. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 6

21 hours ago, Hane said:

@Bethy, I was pleasantly surprised to see 3nna listed as co-owner of the house. Didn’t one of the Maxwell sons propose by giving his fiancée a key to his house?

I know someone whose husband proposed by taking her to his house, where there was a bottle of champagne in an engraved ice bucket waiting for them.  The engraving read, "The HisLastNames" which she found romantic and sweet but which would have irritated the hell out of me.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

21 hours ago, Hane said:

Didn’t one of the Maxwell sons propose by giving his fiancée a key to his house?

I think that was Nathan who gave a key to Melanie. I thought I read that somewhere on their blog. (I could be wrong though). 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

I think that was Nathan who gave a key to Melanie. I thought I read that somewhere on their blog. (I could be wrong though). 

Yes, it was. Just read it yesterday when the long lost (in my world) link to the wedding/engagement story were posted. 

He hired a Limo, picked her up, took her to "his" new house across the street from daddy's house - he had permission from both fathers to be alone with her in order to propose, so don't go getting any ideas about them being autonomous adults - and it was only the 2nd time she'd ever seen the house, even though they'd been "courting" for six months or something - and he decorated the table (there were Precious Moments', ya'll) and put the key & engagement ring in the middle of the table. 

They took the limo out to dinner, then of course went back to the fathership to be congratulated & prayed over by two giant ass families. One person at a time doing the praying. 

Pretty sure that's when the crying started, even though they didn't say so. Nathan was going to be moving ACROSS THE STREET and leaving the family forever and ever and ever! 

I wonder if Nathan cried when the fathership moved house around the corner and they were no longer directly across the street from each other? Now, Chris would be the closest, with that shared back yard and Gigi right next door. Nathan was still all the way on the other side of the street from Chris & Gigi and mommy & daddy were all the way across the street AND around that corner! Oh, the separation anxiety! 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I got 60 seconds in and couldn't watch anymore.

Talk about brainwashing. 

If she was being "protected" from public/private school she wouldn't hold so much disdain for either without experience. She has been told and groomed. 

Those skinny kids don't have a chance in hell of being productive, contributing members of society. 

I watched the whole thing. Gabriel was my favorite. They all spewed at the same crap about evil public school. Gabriel kept messing up, poor kid, and they had to redo it. I will say the ending was great. Jill was recording, I guess in the bedroom, and David walked in with a snack, chicken wings I think, a whole plateful. She laughed saying that she was recording and would have to eat a snack with David when she was done. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I can't imagine anything more annoying than trying to move house with a bunch of kids (mine or anyone else's) underfoot, and trying to be pleasant while they "help".  Yoinks-a-doinks, hard no thank you.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, fundiewatch said:

I think that Joe may have also given a key, to Elissa. ?

John and Chelsy at their wedding, although Joe could have course we will never know.

Edited by SPHASH
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

55 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

John and Chelsy at their wedding, although Joe could have course we will never know.

I love how quickly MaxFacts can get checked!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

When one of my family members did a big move this spring they had a number of family to help out, thanks to vaccines - YAY SCIENCE! And they have a very, very active toddler. One of the adults was assigned to directly watch the toddler at all times, like, ‘I’m going to the bathroom, will you keep an eye on N?’ ‘I’ve got N so you can go do the bed.’ I can’t imagine a scenario where there are multiple small children and nobody in particular watching them, but I guess the Maxwell grandkids are maybe a bit more independent and used to watching each other? I don’t know. In previous years we’ve had kids staying with Grandma for 3-4 days while the move takes place. It gives everyone great peace of mind.

Also, if you introduce a toddler to a house with stairs and they’ve only ever lived in a one floor apartment before, be prepared to either put the baby gates up *immediately* or spend hours going up the stairs, turning around, going back down, repeat. It was endlessly entertaining.....for the kid.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

On 6/8/2021 at 9:36 AM, HereticHick said:

Their house is in Olathe, which is in Johnson County. I don't want to be creepy and post the deets, but it can be easily found on the Johnson County Government's site.

About 30 miles away from Maxwellvania!

Can you send it to me because I am in fact nosy and cannot figure out what to do on that website.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic