IGNORED

Internet Exploder will Finally Be Retired

47of74

Internet Exploder is finally going away 

The end is finally near for Internet Explorer, one of Microsoft's most-reviled products that refused to die.

Microsoft announced this week that it will end support for Internet Explorer 11 on June 15, 2022. That final nail in the coffin came after years of flirting with IE's demise.

For example, in August 2020, Microsoft turned its back on IE for its own products. Workplace chat software Teams stopped working with IE last fall, and its 365 apps (including Office) will no longer work on IE by mid-summer 2021.

Once the most-used web browser, Internet Explorer had been on a steady downward trajectory for nearly two decades. Its share of the browser market fell below the 50% threshold in 2010 and now sits at about 5%, according to browser usage tracker NetMarketShare. Google's Chrome is the browser leader, commanding a 69% share of the market.

About time too. I always used chrome or Firefox at work if possible. 

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Thank You 1

My brain just pulled up a memory of using Netscape Navigator on the Micron computer Mr. Cartmann99 and I had back in the nineties. :laughing-rollingred:

• Upvote 4

My company is scrambling because several of our internal applications, including ticketing and time entry, are only accessible while on IE. 

I refuse to use chrome, which is spyware. I normally use Pale Moon, because I can customize it to appear just like I want. Yes, I’m very picky about my browser’s appearance, I have to look at it so frequently. I’m trying Brave, but am not in love with the look.

• 1 year later...

Internet Exploder is being retired today

Internet Explorer is finally headed out to pasture.

As of Wednesday, Microsoft will no longer support the once-dominant browser that legions of web surfers loved to hate — and a few still claim to adore. The 27-year-old application now joins BlackBerry phones, dial-up modems and Palm Pilots in the dustbin of tech history.

IE’s demise was not a surprise. A year ago, Microsoft said that it was putting an end to Internet Explorer on June 15, 2022, pushing users to its Edge browser, which was launched in 2015.

The company made clear then it was time to move on.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2