IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 6: Everything about this Is Kind of Cringe

HerNameIsBuffy

6 hours ago, Xanariel said:

Another new extract from Lacey's book published in the Times - he says that the conversation about their kids' skin colour happened prior to their engagement and it wasn't asking about how dark they would be, just a general speculation about what any babies might look like (doesn't say who it was). He says that there were no conversations had with Harry or Meghan on the topic when Meghan was pregnant with Archie and actually states that Meghan lied about this in the interview - "she made that up - although that is not to say that it did not matter". 

My memory, from watching the relevant bits from the Oprah interview, is that Meghan implied that the conversation about race happened while she was pregnant but that Harry implied that it was earlier. (He referred to it in connection to something that was said before they married.)  Other reports have suggested that the discussion was more about upbringing and background than race, that the concerns were classist more than racist.

I can believe that such a discussion might have been misinterpreted by Meghan who was perhaps more conscious of her race than of her social class.  (Americans tend to be rather dim about social class.)  

Suppose someone said to Harry, “You have to consider her background.  She isn’t one of us.  Your mother had a hard time, and she was one of us.  Imagine how it might be for Meghan.  And what about your children? Where will they belong?”  And supposed Harry reported this to Meghan.  She might hear “not one of us,” as “not white.”  I would hear it as “not upper-class British.”  ??‍♀️

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic