IGNORED

Lori Alexander 79: False Female Bible Teachers Elevate Jesus’ Words over the Apostle Paul’s

On 10/8/2021 at 2:07 AM, Idlewild said:

My mother was fired in 1956 because the company she worked for had a policy of not employing married women. This was in England, a large, well respected company. I still have the letter- I gave a copy to my organisation’s hr manager & she uses it in presentations about inclusion policies and why we need them. 
My mother retrained as a social worker & did more good than Lori can imagine. 

My parents married in 1957 and she was one of the first women to be allowed to remain in her rather lowly position in a large British chemical company.

• Upvote 7

My mother hid her pregnancy with me for seven months so she wouldn’t get fired. She’s 5ft 1.5 inches and weighed around 100lbs pre-pregnancy. Not sure how she managed that. But she did. 

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

My parents married in 1957 and she was one of the first women to be allowed to remain in her rather lowly position in a large British chemical company.

My mother was a WAVE in the 50s and when she got married in 1957 she had to leave the Navy. Even if they'd allowed her to stay, though, she'd have had to quit a few months later because she got pregnant with me almost on her wedding night. 😏

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, Idlewild said:

@Seahorse Wrangler it wasn’t ICI was it? That’s who fired my mum! 

It was, not that she stayed for very long as my father didn't like being the first back to a cold, dark supperless home.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

It was, not that she stayed for very long as my father didn't like being the first back to a cold, dark supperless home.

Don’t ever let Lori know that.  🤫 

• Haha 1
  • I Agree 5

This year Lori has decided that Halloween is OK as long as you give out tracks with the candy (or maybe just tracks) and discuss the Lord with the parents. 

The leghumpers are fairly evenly divided between Yes - candy and tracks and NO! NO! A thousand times NO!!!  - it's a wicked evil satanic pagan holiday; hide in your house with the lights off.  A very few are Aw what's the fuss, it's a fun holiday for children.

Since Lori routinely changes her mind about Halloween, I'm positive next year she'll be proclaiming it's a wicked evil satanic pagan holiday and commanding her leghumpers to hide in their houses with the lights off.   

Should I tell Lori my favorite holiday is Halloween? That we get 400-500 children every year and give out just candy  - no tracks in sight. I love seeing all the costumes, especially the very little children who come about 5:00 pm.

Sigh, but then we're non-Christian Catholics so what do you expect.

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 5

11 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

That we get 400-500 children every year and give out just candy  - no tracks in sight. I love seeing all the costumes, especially the very little children who come about 5:00 pm.

Apparently at my house I can expect 1000+ kids.  My neighborhood has a reputation for being a great place, and I'm on the street that gets busiest.  

I've been telling friends who won't get trick or treaters to come to my house and bring their own candy.  Because, you know, I'm a wonderful friend who loves opening up the option of participation to anyone who wants to.  It has nothing to do at all with sparing my own candy budget.  Nothing.  Promise.  😁

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Since Lori routinely changes her mind about Halloween, I'm positive next year she'll be proclaiming it's a wicked evil satanic pagan holiday and commanding her leghumpers to hide in their houses with the lights off. 

Lori is ALWAYS right ALWAYS no matter what side of the argument she's on....drinking is fine and she extolled the virtues of wine and her sister's margaritas until alcohol was bad.  Same thing with Halloween.  Basically EVERYTHING  Lori thinks is the only correct, sound, rightest of the right thing ever. 

Edited by SongRed7
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

Today Lori shares her notes from a sermon by Costi Hinn, a current Baptist pastor living in Arizona -- not someone who comes by his misogyny honestly by living in the 1800's (like many of Lori's favorite sources) but a just a basic sexist pig of our own era.

Hinn, in spite of all evidence to the contrary, believes that women are "dominating" their husbands, and that it's a huge problem in the church. He has a nine-point list as an attempt to prove his bullshit.

And here they are...

1. Women "dominate their husbands" by having emotions (moods!) and sharing them in marriage. Hinn opposes honesty between spouses because it might lead to the woman getting 'her way' from time to time.

2. Women "dominate their husbands" by using the 'silent treatment'. While the actual 'silent treatment' isn't healthy in marriage, I don't think this is what Hinn actually means... because most people don't intentionally sabotage important relationships in that way. Hinn just wants things both ways: problem #1 is talking too much, but problem #2 is talking too little. The only way to win is to say exactly what your husband wants exactly as often as he wants you to.

3. Women "dominate their husbands" by 'avoiding' fulfilling his every request and desire and declining to act in full obedience to his will.

4. Women "dominate their husbands" by 'manipulation' such as expressing emotions (see #1), having times when we don't want sex, the 'silent treatment' (already mentioned in #2), and expressing valid opinions. Hinn (or Lori?) believes that these things are not 'meek' or 'quiet' enough, therefore they are acts of "domination".

5. Women "dominate their husbands" through 'threats'. What kind of threats? It doesn't matter. It's just wrong for a woman to say she is going to do something her husband might not like.

6. Women "dominate their husbands" through 'anger'. I don't know why they are being specific about this. If expressing any emotion is wrong, why would anger be a special case? As usual, it doesn't matter to Lori if you are actually correct... if you had an emotion while you were explaining things, that makes you wrong.

7. Women "dominate their husbands" through dishonesty. This does have a grain of truth -- we should not lie to our loved ones. However, we should not *need* to lie to our loved ones. Hinn relates this to budgeting (done by the man) and spending (by the wife) calling out hidden spending as an act of disobedience -- and therefore "domination" by the wife. Lori says instead, in order not to "dominate" your husband, the only option is to: "Do what he tells you to do, exactly how he tells you to do." Clearly in this context, financial abuse is normal -- which is what makes them object to women spending without permission.

8. Women "dominate their husbands" by nagging. Because it's wrong to even keep talking about your goals and desires as a married woman. Lori advises simply giving up on your hopes and dreams instead of "dominating" your husband by mentioning them from time to time.

9. Women "dominate their husbands" by 'playing the victim' -- by telling others the truth about what goes on in their marriage, getting outside perspectives, and maybe even getting help.

Clearly neither Mr. Hinn nor Lori knows the definition of "to dominate" -- which is clearly, in every one of these nine points -- what the *husband* is doing. The women might be bucking that system (as any self-respecting person would!) but that doesn't mean she is becoming "dominant" or even that she wants to!

The ending proof-text is six full verses out of 1 Peter, who is giving some difficult advice for women forced to endure Roman marriages that they couldn't leave, in a culture where they had no rights. Peter is trying to offer some comfort to those oppressed women. Lori is trying to turn all of us into oppressed wives here-and-now because she just really likes that idea.

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 1

There's a televangelist named Benny Hinn.  I wonder if they are related?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

Had to look him up, because I wondered the same thing. Costi is a nephew of Benny's. 

• Thank You 4

What a depressing list of absolute bullshit. Why any woman would want to live this way and raise her daughters to expect this kind of marriage is beyond me. 
Lori pays lip service to believing in all this but does whatever she pleases. Massive hypocrite.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Botkinetti said:

What a depressing list of absolute bullshit. Why any woman would want to live this way and raise her daughters to expect this kind of marriage is beyond me. 
Lori pays lip service to believing in all this but does whatever she pleases. Massive hypocrite.

One of my favorite things about fundagelicals is that they preach this stuff which basically says that good Christians must be miserable. Then they simultaneously preach that Christians like them are so much happier than everyone else. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

16 hours ago, kpmom said:

Isn't he the one who always yelled "BE HEALED" and smacked people in the forehead, who then fell backward and were miraculously cured of their ailments?

That's the vision I get when I hear that name. Theatrical evangelism, Jim Jones style.

• I Agree 4

51 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Isn't he the one who always yelled "BE HEALED" and smacked people in the forehead, who then fell backward and were miraculously cured of their ailments?

That's the vision I get when I hear that name. Theatrical evangelism, Jim Jones style.

You're thinking of Ernest Angley, who did just that. 🤣 I never actually watched Benny Hinn, though, so I don't know if his was a similar style. Angley was one of those who, if you happened to pause on his show while channel-surfing, caught you in his snare and kept you watching in utter disbelief and amazement! 😲

• Haha 1
  • Thank You 2

6 minutes ago, Loveday said:

You're thinking of Ernest Angley, who did just that. 🤣 I never actually watched Benny Hinn, though, so I don't know if his was a similar style. Angley was one of those who, if you happened to pause on his show while channel-surfing, caught you in his snare and kept you watching in utter disbelief and amazement! 😲

Hinn did the same schtick. He had a big crusade in the city when I worked at the Christian school. They let kids and staff out of school to attend. Those of us who did not want to were chastised. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

I had bible study w/my group and my pastor last night. I asked him about what Costi Hinn said. Pastor's reply was one for the books. "Do you know how dead I'd be if I tried ANY of that stuff with my wife?". I've met his wife, she's about 5 foot nothing and is a nurse. She just rolls her eyes every time he says something goofy and tells him to "tighten up". Pastor is 6 feet of wonderful, scary smart, and goofy with a laugh that could be heard from downtown Parker to the far side of the Springs. 

• Upvote 6

In the category of why do I even care.....on IG Lori as one of her infamous "Ask me anything" prompts. Who are these women who are seeking out Lori's opinion on everything from what headache medicine to take (or not take), if Halloween is ok (apparently it is OK this year, but come back next it might change) how much sex to have, what kind of food to buy on a limited budget, what kind of sardines to buy, what to do if your husband dies and you have young children (marry again quickly!!), if you should work and the kids are grown and no grand kids, what kind of recreational activities should you take your kids to, how to satisfy your husband during "that time of the month," should you tithe or not, how long to breastfeed and a whole host of other things. 

Who are these ninnies who are writing to Lori for advice??  Can't any of them think for themselves?  Do they think Lori's middle name is "World Book Encyclopedia" and she has all the answers for everything?

Listen ladies (seeking Lori's advice)....Lori's opinions are just that opinions. Maybe figure out what's right for you. Here's a tip: Lori is not and AUTHORITY on anything. 

GEEZ

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

30 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

Listen ladies (seeking Lori's advice)....Lori's opinions are just that opinions. Maybe figure out what's right for you. Here's a tip: Lori is not and AUTHORITY on anything. 

Remember, opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one but some of them are REALLY fuzzy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

The way I heard it was “Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one, but some are bigger than others.”

• Haha 4

Today Lori is reposting from Facebook, where she is wasting her precious time on social media, but other women shouldn't be allowed to waste time like that. Just Lori.

Lori's friend Joseph Spurgeon has an issue with families choosing to co-sleep with their children. Lori likes what he has written because it's patriarchal nonsense, and it mentions lust. Lori loves to read and write about lust.

There's no particular reason for Lori to need to emphasize that "Husbands Decide on the Family Bed" -- because her only basis for that claim is that "Husbands Decide" everything because "Wives are commanded to obey their husbands in everything, except when a husband asks his wife to sin against God."

Except neither of those things are true. 

The command is that, in a context of Christian marriage where spouses know that they are called to put other people first, women are reminded that being selfless towards their husband is part of that calling. It's no big deal, just a reminder of a general principle of Christian relationships that is supposed to go both ways, not only in marriage, but also in parenting, other family relationships, and the relationships among fellow believers. No "obedience" is stated or implied (except once in the KJV which is inconsistent about translating this 'selflessness towards others' concept).

In the context of the 'selflessness towards others' command, there is no need for any "except when a husband asks his wife to sin" -- exception. Because no degree of putting others first would encourage or require a person to allow sinful behaviour, or to oblige unhealthy requests of any kind. It's not 'a good thing' to participate in sin with someone else, so participating in sin with someone is not a way of 'doing good' for them. Not even close!

Anyhow Lori is stuck on who gets to decide where children sleep. If the man is happy to co-sleep, Lori thinks that makes it fine. This decision, like all decisions, depends solely on the manly whims and preferences of the man.

Spurgeon, on the other hand, is very worried about men's manliness being compromised by these sleeping arrangements. He quotes from Hebrews about 'marriage beds' being 'undefiled' (a discussion about marital and sexual fidelity) as if a *baby* in a bed could make the physical bedding unholy by its mere presence and existence.

Contrary to the Bible, Spurgeon asserts that a 'marriage bed' is 'reserved for husband and wife' -- interpreting the metaphor (sexual partnership) as the physical object (a place to sleep). This shows poor reading comprehension, a drastic ignorance of human history, and a bit of a blind spot for the one piece of Bible trivia that confirms in Jesus' day it was normal for families to sleep in one 'bed'...

Luke 11:7 (KJV) "And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and *my children are with me in bed;* I cannot rise and give thee."

Ignorant unbiblical Spurgeon actually encourages men to be "jealous" (towards his own children!) and produces dire warnings of what happens if a man were to "allow your wife to keep a child in the bed"... Bitterness. Sexual lust. Exhaustion. Sexual intimacy: ruined! Temptations! A whole marriage down the drain!

Clearly this is an occasion for the alleged "authority" of men to take centre stage. They are obligated to "fight and lead your wife" -- because the other option (being proactive and creative about times and places for sex) would be just way too hard for these giant man-babies in active competition with their actual babies.

Oh, apparently newborns are an exception... but otherwise this is a "rule".

For a prooftext Lori returns to an old favorite. Paul reminds married Christian women (who already know that Christians are called to always submit to one another) that such 'how we treat one another' behaviour includes their husbands too. Lori thinks that it means wives should treat their husbands like gods and husbands should treat their wives like a brainless assistant.

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, smittykins said:

The way I heard it was “Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one, but some are bigger than others.”

I knew it as "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one but some are shittier than others"

• Haha 3

Some much of what Lori believe/likes is really only feasible in modern society and only in certain parts of the world.  Does Mr Joseph not know that many families didn’t necessarily have separate beds/ bedrooms in the past? What does he think happened in one room cabins/homes? Of course it’s really beyond these people to know history and have knowledge of different cultures. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic