IGNORED

Lori Alexander 79: False Female Bible Teachers Elevate Jesus’ Words over the Apostle Paul’s

Today on the blog, Lori tells us all about the money "career women" waste. First of all, women are spoiled by modern conveniences. Here's a list of the "conveniences" that have spoiled us that women in the "olden days" didn't have: 

no running water, no restaurants, no gasoline, no dishwasher, no washing machines, and so on. There was also no birth control, daycare centers, nor public schools. Women were NEEDED at home.

Of course, this is partly ignorance on Lori's part. The earliest public school was established in the U.S. in 1635 and public education became widespread in the 1830s. So Lori is hearkening back to some pretty old "olden days". And birth control methods such as barriers, spermicides and suppositories have been used for centuries. Not all of them were particularly effective, but they were used, and contributed to declining birth rates in the Victorian era in particular which led to legal bans. Restaurants were common by the mid 18th Century. 

Then she gets to the things that women spend money on as a result of working:

As I was reading this, I thought how much money career women must waste in order to be career women. They must make sure they have the proper clothing and shoes. Their hair and makeup must be just so. They need maintenance and gas money for the car....They must pay someone to care for their babies and children.

The list of what women must pay for to work is a bit rich coming from a woman doesn't work but   preaches (oh, oops, no penis, no preaching---shall we say "forcefully informs us") about wearing the right clothes, tells us her expensive makeup routine, and brags about driving very expensive cars. As for clothes, makeup, hair for work--that's all dependent on the kind of job you have. In Lori's vivid imagination it seems that women only work in offices with male bosses and likely wear expensive tailored business suits that must be dry cleaned. Reality is that most of us don't and probably don't spend a whole lot more on clothes for work than we would to clothe ourselves if we didn't work--other than buying a different style of clothes for work. A lot of women keep their hair trimmed, colored, etc...regardless. My mother retired in 2007.  She has continued to regularly get her hair cut and colored. It wasn't for work. And Lori very clearly gets her hair cut and colored regularly in spite of not working. As for makeup--I don't know any woman who wears makeup that does it differently for work than for other things. If anything, some younger ones wear LESS makeup to work than they do for going out and their weekend at home look is the same as work. Plus we know Lori spends a ton of money on makeup for not working.  Vehicles: this depends on your commute. Last fall, I worked a block and a half from home for 14 weeks. I had no car expenses. Some people do work close to home. And most women at home with children need a car for appointments and household errands so it is being maintained either way. Childcare is the only legitimately much higher expense on the list. 

Now let's look at Lori's list of things women aren't doing because of working: 

They don’t have time to make things from scratch such as food, clothing, candles, and other things. They must buy all of their stuff. They don’t have time to shop for deals.

Okay...first of all, we know that Lori doesn't cook at all, nor is she making clothes and candles. (Candles??? Where the hell did that come from???). But we've talked about cooking from scratch many times over...and we have established that many of us evil working harlots at FJ cook from scratch regularly in spite of working. At this point, I think that since Lori clearly does not cook, she is completely unaware that it doesn't take as long as she thinks. But about making clothes...

A sewing machine that is going to last and be adequate for a making a wide range of clothing is going to cost $200 and up. Patterns run $8 to $13. Fabric is expensive. You want to make your little manly man a pair of masculine jeans? The denim is going to run you as much as $30 a yard. And you don't have the thread, zipper, button, lining for the pockets, etc... yet. Or you can buy him a pair at Old Navy's back to school sale  for $16. 

At the end of the day, though, what I really take from today's blog is this: 

Could someone please ask Lori to post a youtube video of her candlemaking??? 

*Also, Lori, we do have electricity, now. We don't actually NEED candles. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 12
  • Thank You 4

In 2018, I went back to work after being a SAHM for a few years, so I have experience with both sides (I left that job a few months ago - it was horrible).  Here is my input regarding the expenses that she lists:

Clothes - I worked in a casual office environment, so jeans were the norm.  When I went back to work, I did have to buy a couple more pairs, since I wore a lot of sweats and shorts when I wasn't working.  I also bought a few more shirts and a couple of pairs of flat shoes.  So overall I did have some upfront costs, but they weren't expensive clothes, and I could wear them outside of work as well.

Hair and makeup - I started getting highlights after I started working, since I had extra money, but it wasn't a big change for me.  I also started wearing makeup daily again, but I don't wear a lot of it, so I don't spend much money on it. Overall, these were minor expenses.  One thing I want to note is that I do spend a decent amount on skincare.  My theory is that it is easier to prevent damage than to repair it later.  However, I spent this money both as a SAHM and while working.  And since Lori buys expensive skincare, she has no room to judge.

Car expenses - I had to fill up the tank one or two times more a month then when I wasn't working.  So this would be a small increase in expenses.  And I want to note that my car is a 2006 model - Toyota cars last forever.

Childcare - yes, this can be expensive.  However, my kids were teenagers when I went back to work, so this was not applicable at their age.

As another poster mentioned, it's easier to buy inexpensive clothes than to make them.  I've bought my kids many outfits at Old Navy, and I love shopping sales at Kohl's and Macy's.  Yes, even working women enjoy finding a good deal.

Lori really loves to make judgments about things that she has no direct knowledge or experience with.  She is so full of assumptions (and shit).

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

And most women at home with children need a car for appointments and household errands so it is being maintained either way.

This. Prepandemic, with Mr. NQ working out of the house all week, we would need two cars because with one either I'd have to drive him to/from public transit (and schlep the kids twice a day to do so), he added even more time to his commute by adding a second method of public transit to get to/from the primary one, or he took the car and I was stuck with little kids and unable to get them to preschool, the doctor's office, etc. It would be possible but difficult for us to have just one car even if I didn't work part time.

Edited by NotQuiteMotY
  • Upvote 8

We have three vehicles. For two people. With no  public transportation and commutes, a car in the shop can be a mess. They’re all old and all paid for. (2003, 2007, 2008–Ford and 2 GMs—most vehicles can last forever if well maintained. Not just Toyotas). 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

There is no other other lens than Lori’s.  She could attract many more non snarking followers but her heart is black it’s evident in her tone.  She does have any fruit of the Spirit.  Her pinned post on FB is "women are no longer marriage material."  That is for shock value, attention and stirring up the hornet’s nest.  She is the ultimate "pick me" girl, probably always has been, Ken hasn’t been enough, she’s always needed more.

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 5

Daycare would be the only major expense for a mother working outside the home, but depending on the salary it could be manageable. 

I'm a teacher, so I don't have extra special clothes, just clothes I would have anyway for going out in public (some of which are 8-10 years old). I kid you not. My big winter coat is over 20 years old and not one tear or stain on it, but I really only wear it in Jan. and Feb. 

I take my own lunch to school.  I wear make up and highlight my hair anyway.  My drive in my 2009 (paid for) car is about 20 minutes, so maybe a little bit more gas, but not enough to make a real difference.

• Upvote 12

Just popping back in to say in our family it's always been my husband spending on hair and clothes.  When we got married he was an officer in the Air Force, and those uniforms ain't cheap. They also needed to be dry cleaned because they were expected to be pressed perfectly.  

Then he became a pastor and had to have nice suits.

He's always had to get his hair cut about once a month because it grows so fast.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Have anyone seen anything, something about Alyssa? Her last IG entry is from 22 July, she usually post a couple of times every week.

And I know you don't have to keep your social media up to date, but from someone like her it's unusual to be quiet for so long.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Pink Muffin said:

Have anyone seen anything, something about Alyssa? Her last IG entry is from 22 July, she usually post a couple of times every week.

And I know you don't have to keep your social media up to date, but from someone like her it's unusual to be quiet for so long.

She wrote she had hope for another adoption soon. There were a couple possible matches. I have the feeling she will be devastated if she can't get a baby soon. She's been pumping milk for months and to relactate an adopted baby seems to be her biggest goal now. I understand the feeling, but sometimes we all should relax our dreams and standards. Adoption is difficult enough, but she makes it even more difficult asking for a newborn, with a particular skin tone, relactate, etc. Her perfectionism hurts her and her children, because I feel that if she is unable to relactate, she won't be fulfilled with the adoption. I hope to be wrong!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

23 hours ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

Daycare would be the only major expense for a mother working outside the home, but depending on the salary it could be manageable. 

I'm a teacher, so I don't have extra special clothes, just clothes I would have anyway for going out in public (some of which are 8-10 years old). I kid you not. My big winter coat is over 20 years old and not one tear or stain on it, but I really only wear it in Jan. and Feb. 

I take my own lunch to school.  I wear make up and highlight my hair anyway.  My drive in my 2009 (paid for) car is about 20 minutes, so maybe a little bit more gas, but not enough to make a real difference.

Are you my clone? or am I your clone?  You just described me as a teacher too (except I don't highlight my hair.)

• Upvote 5

I’ll admit I spend money on makeup, skincare, and clothes. I have a rather large wardrobe but my clothes for everyday and work overlap a lot because I tend to wear a lot of skirts and dresses regardless of the day. I just took myself on vacation for a week and wore dresses the entire time because it was so bloody hot and I don’t own many shorts. I’ve been plus sized since I was in high school so I think I’m making up for the fact that I had very limited options when younger. Of course plus sized options are still more limited and more expensive. I love makeup as well but as others have mentioned I actually wear less to work simply to save time. And not to brag but I have great skin and want to keep it that way so I take care of it. 
But so long as my bills are taken care of I don’t find that I or anyone needs to justify what they spend their money on. 

I think Lori assumes the worst about people even if she does the same things they are. For her buying expensive makeup is okay because it’s organic and she can afford it. But if others buy expensive makeup then they must be overspending. At the same time, she’d look down at anyone buying wetnwild makeup or E.L.F makeup because it’s not organic and natural. To be fair they got some great products thought. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

Good grief, is she on about the working women and $$ again? When was the last time she earned a damn paycheck? Why should she care so much about what other women do...what effect does that have on her life? Is she offering to make my car payment? Is she offering to pay my Ulta bill? No? Then do me a favor and STFU. Right now I juggle like crazy, putting things off and praying I don't go in the hole...but it's going to get better soon. Hell, I might even treat myself to a professional cut and color instead of the exclusive salon known as "my bathroom". However, unless she's offering to pay my bills, buy my clothes or groceries, she can take her awful opinions and attitudes to her self. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 5

On 7/30/2021 at 9:34 AM, louisa05 said:

Okay...first of all, we know that Lori doesn't cook at all, nor is she making clothes and candles. (Candles??? Where the hell did that come from???

I was ROFLOL at the candles, but too....I'm like how many F-in candles have YOU made, Lori?

I just can't with her this week.  All she does is insult others and hold herself up as the be-all end all.  Besides the usual things, now you can't drink coffee apparently and be Godly.

She is just one legalistic, walking BIG rule book.  She always talks about having joy, but she is the MOST JOYLESS person in the world.   How can her family stand her sanctimonious, better-than-thou attitude? 

Non-sequitur -- 2 things about Alyssa.  She was on vacation but is still struggling with her depression/failed adoption attempt. I get that...but she seems especially fragile. Also she posted about some Christian lifestyle blogger (Paige Hilken) in Southern Ca. who died by suicide this past week. She was a pastor's wife, homeschooling mom of 5 young children under the age of 6, a holistic lifestyle "influencer" with a perfectly curated IG page and blog.   And she also caught COVID and apparently had PPD and was in a mental health institution YET killed herself (there is a GoFundMe page that Alyssa linked to then unlinked) but the details are on that page. 

And all last week, Lori was posting about mental health and how psychiatrists, psychologists and basically the whole mental health industry was evil.   

The lessons here:  This strive for perfection (the beautiful "family" IG pages and stories by a lot of these folks ....just like Tenley ....Alyssa's friend) is just an illusion.  NOT REAL...and real people are paying the price.   Look, I'm sorry Alyssa's adoption fell thru.  But there were so many red flags and oversharing all the "beautiful" preparations and IG posts.  And then Lori constantly berating "women" for drinking wine, coffee and MOST OF ALL seeking mental health help.  It's a disaster waiting to happen...I hope not.

It's not even funny anymore.

I

Edited by SongRed7
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

9 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

I was ROFLOL at the candles, but too....I'm like how many F-in candles have YOU made, Lori?

I just can't with her this week.  All she does is insult others and hold herself up as the be-all end all.  Besides the usual things, now you can't drink coffee apparently and be Godly.

She is just one legalistic, walking BIG rule book.  She always talks about having joy, but she is the MOST JOYLESS person in the world.   How can her family stand her sanctimonious, better-than-thou attitude? 

Non-sequitur -- 2 things about Alyssa.  She was on vacation but is still struggling with her depression/failed adoption attempt. I get that...but she seems especially fragile. Also she posted about some Christian lifestyle blogger (Paige Hilken) in Southern Ca. who dies by suicide this past week. She was a pastor's wife, homeschooling mom of 5 young children under the age of 6, a holistic lifestyle "influencer" with a perfectly currated IG page and blog.   And she also caught COVID and apparently had PPD and was in a mental health institution YET killed herself (there is a GoFundMe page that Alyssa linked to then unlinked) but the details are on that page. 

And all last week, Lori was posting about mental health and how psychiatrist, psychologist and basically the whole mental health industry was evil.   

The lessons here:  This strive for perfection (the beautiful "family" IG pages and stories by a lot of these folks ....just like Tenley ....Alyssa's friend) is just an illusion.  NOT REAL...and real people are paying the price.   Look, I'm sorry Alyssa's adoption fell thru.  But there were so many red flags and oversharing all the "beautiful" preparations and IG posts.  And then Lori constantly berating "women" for drinking wine, coffee and MOST OF ALL seeking mental health help.  It's a disaster waiting to happen...I hope not.

It's not even funny anymore.

I

Fundagelicals freaking out over wine is pretty normal based on the ones I've been around. One principal at the Christian school was convinced all Catholics are alcoholics because of the one sip we're allowed (pre-Covid anyway) at mass. Because one sip will turn anyone into an alcoholic. And it was in our contract that we could be fired if they found out we drank any alcohol at all, ever. But coffee? Why are they upset about coffee now? That's new. 

On your more serious note, the perfectionism expected of these young Christian women was rampant prior to social media. It was a constant pressure on me as young woman at the Christian school. Among the things I was marked down for on teaching evaluations there were having a chip in my nail polish, needing my bangs cut, having a dry erase marker run out during a lesson (it was the dark ages of overhead projectors). We were told that we should have nail polish in our desk drawers to fix chips on the spot; we should have perfect appearance at all times, we should keep extra hose (we were required to wear them) in our drawers in case of a snag or run, and we should check all our markers before starting a lesson so one never ran out in the middle. Eating disorders were rampant in that school. We had around 160 high school students when I first went there and every single girl was very thin. Every single one. As much as social media has a toxic influence in that way, these women are getting it outside of social media as well. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 5
  • Love 7

I was thinking more about what I posted earlier.  I’m am so hopping mad.  Here is the website of that Christian blogger/lifestyle “influencer that Alyssa referenced: https://paigehilken.com/blog

She killed herself and the details are on a GoFundMe page.  https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-the-hilkens?qid=34e5ad1707b0c10d8d93f0fff9878d6a

I want to know what Lori would say. Here’s someone from outward appearances who did everything “right” according to Lori’s brand of religion. She was a pastors wife, she got married at 19 and quickly popped out 5 babies.  She became a holistic/natural “practitioner”, ate perfectly and ran a home based business , while homeschooling, blogging, maintaining a social media presence and remaining beautiful and skinny— just like Lori’s recipe for success.  She posted spiritual messages on her IG.

And she killed herself. We will never know the reasons but the illusion was FALSE.  It’s unrealistic.  And THAT is why Lori is so dangerous and why I worry about Alyssa.  

please Lori, explain what happened??!? I’m so hopping mad about this case and I didn’t even know who she was until yesterday What? She didn’t trust God enough? She “let” her emotions get the best of her? 

I am a Christian but this legalistic formalistic brand of religion is NOT faith.  God sees our brokenness, we do t have to put on airs because he loves as we are.   
Again we may never know what happened to this young woman, but now there are five motherless children,. But I blame situations like this on people like Lori. She may not be directly to blame but this is the kind of atmosphere that allows is kind of tragedy to happen. And it’s sickening

Edited by SongRed7
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

So I've been actively avoiding all things TTW, but I can't sleep and managed to stumble across this thread. Can someone update me on the TTW grandkids. The only one I've never really followed closely is Cassi. The last I knew she only had two kids, now I see an updated picture and she has 4!? Someone catch me up, please!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, becky_m2001 said:

So I've been actively avoiding all things TTW, but I can't sleep and managed to stumble across this thread. Can someone update me on the TTW grandkids. The only one I've never really followed closely is Cassi. The last I knew she only had two kids, now I see an updated picture and she has 4!? Someone catch me up, please!!

I think Cassi has had 4 in 4 years. Sometimes Cassi appears in Alyssa's stories and she looks exhausted and worn out. 

Stephen's wife is expenting their #4.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

15 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

I was thinking more about what I posted earlier.  I’m am so hopping mad.  Here is the website of that Christian blogger/lifestyle “influencer that Alyssa referenced: https://paigehilken.com/blog

She killed herself and the details are on a GoFundMe page.  https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-the-hilkens?qid=34e5ad1707b0c10d8d93f0fff9878d6a

I want to know what Lori would say. Here’s someone from outward appearances who did everything “right” according to Lori’s brand of religion. She was a pastors wife, she got married at 19 and quickly popped out 5 babies.  She became a holistic/natural “practitioner”, ate perfectly and ran a home based business , while homeschooling, blogging, maintaining a social media presence and remaining beautiful and skinny— just like Lori’s recipe for success.  She posted spiritual messages on her IG.

And she killed herself. We will never know the reasons but the illusion was FALSE.  It’s unrealistic.  And THAT is why Lori is so dangerous and why I worry about Alyssa.  

please Lori, explain what happened??!? I’m so hopping mad about this case and I didn’t even know who she was until yesterday What? She didn’t trust God enough? She “let” her emotions get the best of her? 

I am a Christian but this legalistic formalistic brand of religion is NOT faith.  God sees our brokenness, we do t have to put on airs because he loves as we are.   
Again we may never know what happened to this young woman, but now there are five motherless children,. But I blame situations like this on people like Lori. She may not be directly to blame but this is the kind of atmosphere that allows is kind of tragedy to happen. And it’s sickening

After looking at her blog, I'm torn. This is horrible and a tragedy, and it's awful for her family that not only was she struggling but that the help she did get wasn't working. PPD is a hard thing to deal with and not enough attention is paid to it in our society at large. And yes, this mindset that you're just not trying hard enough, not believing enough, not enough at all is making it much, much worse. I've said before, I had PPD with my first. If prayer and just trying harder had been enough, I wouldn't have called my OB crying and asking for help with getting therapy and/or medication.

At the same time, I'm mad at her after reading her covid entry; she knows her children have problems with their airways when they get sick and she invites someone into their home, without taking precautionary measures, during a pandemic that attacks lungs. And then her "treatment" is zinc and colloidal silver (although it does sound like she was attentive enough to get them to the ER if they do actually have breathing difficulties). I just get so mad when someone deliberately places their already at-risk children at greater risk! Even if the family member needed a place to stay, rather than just visiting, there are ways to limit potential exposure.

8 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think Cassi has had 4 in 4 years. Sometimes Cassi appears in Alyssa's stories and she looks exhausted and worn out.

4 under 4? I'd be surprised if she didn't look exhausted and worn out.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

4 under 4? I'd be surprised if she didn't look exhausted and worn out.

I'll be shocked if Kendra Duggar doesn't end up in the same boat. She already has 3 that are 3 and under.

• Upvote 5

On 7/30/2021 at 9:34 AM, louisa05 said:

Could someone please ask Lori to post a youtube video of her candlemaking??? 

*Also, Lori, we do have electricity, now. We don't actually NEED candles. 

I have a video of my sisters and I making candles! It's expensive. Much more expensive than just buying the damn things. And candles are luxury items. 

Spoiler

On 7/30/2021 at 11:09 AM, crawfishgirl said:

As another poster mentioned, it's easier to buy inexpensive clothes than to make them.  I've bought my kids many outfits at Old Navy, and I love shopping sales at Kohl's and Macy's.  Yes, even working women enjoy finding a good deal.

Lori really loves to make judgments about things that she has no direct knowledge or experience with.  She is so full of assumptions (and shit).

Truth.

Here's my breakdown of Lori's recent stupid blather:

Clothes - I literally wear the same thing at home and at work. Jeans, t-shirts, shorts or a skort if it's hot out, a hoodie or cardigan if it's cold. Shoes, the same. Lately I've been wearing some Keen hiking sandals everywhere, but I also might wear a pair of Vans or running shoes. Sometimes ugg-style boots in winter because I like them and they're comfy. When I'm home all the time I wore pajama pants more than jeans, but I still needed what a local radio personality calls "hard clothes" to wear outside the house, so work clothes are no extra expense.

Hair and makeup - I haven't had a haircut in a couple years now. I currently don't have color, but when I did it was done at home (and was PINK). I own a ton of nice makeup but very rarely wear it, and when I do it's not for work. In fact there are times I've gone to work bare-faced and put on makeup before I left to go out. 

Car expenses -I do have to put gas in the car, so this is a slight expense I wouldn't have otherwise. But it's not THAT much. And I'd have a car, anyway. There's no public transit to speak of in my town.

Childcare - no kids = no childcare expenses!

Time to find deals - I don't usually make too much effort at this, but I do try to check prices on things. My sister, however, who is married and works full time - she's a couponer. Like crazy. I won't go grocery shopping with her because it takes hours, but she saves tons of money. Does Lori clip coupons and shop for deals? I'll bet some $14 butter the answer is "Nope."

Of course, I'm single, so I have to work to live. I like having food and a roof over my head, thanks.

Lori's a lying brainless waste of oxygen. She's never made candles, and I doubt she's ever made clothes, either. She uses expensive makeup and dyes her hair. She doesn't cook other than to mix up some salmonella dressing and dump it in a bowl of lettuce. She doesn't craft, at all. She doesn't seem to garden, at all. I can't find evidence she does anything at all, other than occasionally go to the grocery store. She sits around and complains on the internet all day, and that seems to be her only hobby. She should use some of her free time to educate herself about actual history, if she's going to spout on about it.

If she did make candles and all those things she should show them on a Youtube channel. I'd love to see her trying to make candles or sew clothing from scratch cheaper than it can be bought. Can she make a wearable, fitting pair of jeans in less than an hour? Because you can buy a pair from Old Navy for $15 sometimes, and my hourly work rate is more than that. Skirts would be easier, I suppose, but still not necessarily cheaper. Can she make a T-shirt? For less than $3? Because I have a couple shirts that cost that.

• Upvote 10

I have been following Lori for over a year.  Sometimes I agree with her, many times I am really angry.  There are a handful of men who go there and smack women down every chance they get, we know who they are.  I was blown away a few months ago when she put Kenneth Shock’s massive ego in place, he hasn’t returned since.  As a Christian, the more I read her stuff, the more myopic my view of myself becomes.  The whole of the Bible isn’t what I need to be concerned with or study as long as I am living out biblical womanhood, and that is a narrow road according to Lori.  Any deviation of that and the people there think you are a whore, jezebel, and/or dress like a slut or prostitute and these are their words.  I know she teaches from only a few verses.  Her interpretation of modesty is flat out wrong.  She has made being a keeper at home and all that it implies her hill to die on.  I have checked out both her daughter’s IG pages and they are both nutrition specialists.  Disordered eating handed down from mom and dad?  Maybe.  Sean What’shisface told a woman her husband cheated bc she didn’t give him enough blow jobs.  I’ve checked him out online and he looks like a psychopath.  These are her people.  Everything is the woman’s fault, absolutely everything.  The more time I spend there, the shittier I feel.  I have to take a step back and see that this isn’t Christianity.  I also look at women whose studies I have done and enjoyed and thought "they aren’t teaching biblical womanhood, they’re off track, they’re wrong."  I’m not proud of this.  I do volunteer work for a prison ministry.  We have a weekly Bible study and it’s lead and written by women.  I think "No!  She isn’t supposed to be doing this, how do I know it’s the truth?!"  Look at what I have allowed myself to become.  I read on SSB a post about some key verses that didn’t have gender attached to them in the original text, that came in later translations.  It could blow the lid off Lori’s insistence against female leadership and pastors.  She will never listen because she has surrounded herself with "yes" people.  The people who should listen to it, would ignore it anyways because they have also built their brand on biblical patriarchy.  They would have to admit they are wrong.  I was in bed with a bad cold over the weekend (covid negative so that was good) and I didn’t have the energy to go on her page.  I was happier even with that damned cold.  I have made around 30 sock accounts that have been blocked by Lori.  I know I can stop and at some point I will give it up and not visit anymore.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

There’s a reason why candles and other crafts often have such a high price. I crochet, do embroidery, paint, draw, make wreaths etc (somehow my feminist brain figured out how to do these things) but that shit is expensive. Good drawing paper and colored pencils is expensive. A set of good colored pencils can cost over 100. Art supplies and the time cost are not cheap. And that extra work in most cases simply isn’t worth it time wise unless you’re super passionate about it 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

13 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

There’s a reason why candles and other crafts often have such a high price. I crochet, do embroidery, paint, draw, make wreaths etc (somehow my feminist brain figured out how to do these things) but that shit is expensive. Good drawing paper and colored pencils is expensive. A set of good colored pencils can cost over 100. Art supplies and the time cost are not cheap. And that extra work in most cases simply isn’t worth it time wise unless you’re super passionate about it 

Yes, absolutely! I knit - good yarn is not cheap. Different art media require different papers or surfaces, and none of the good ones are cheap. My favorite colored pencils so far are Prismacolor Premiere, and those are considered on the "cheap end" for decent pencils, and they are still not actually cheap. And colored pencil drawings take for-freaking-ever. 

I've been knitting myself a cardigan off and on for several months. When it's done there will be many many hours worth of work put into it, plus over $100 in yarn (and it's not that expensive a yarn, either). If I took my hourly pay and applied it to the hours spent knitting it, plus the yarn, that'd probably be a $1000+ cardigan. I've knitted myself socks before - those probably would have come out to about $400. The yarn itself was maybe $15 (two skeins of sock yarn - I knit them two at a time). 

Making things yourself is very enjoyable. It is not, however, always cost effective! I always laugh when people suggest I sell items I've knit - I could, and if I didn't use them myself I might - but it wouldn't be profitable. I'd be selling for cost with no labor included, because hardly anybody wants to pay $300 for a knit beanie. I enjoy knitting, but it's not a quick process for the most part.

Hand-knit socks are awesome and when fitted properly stay where they belong and don't get eaten by your shoes, and there's something amazing about wearing something you have made by hand. But ~40 hours of knitting, plus cost for the yarn (and the needles, and the time spent learning to knit, and the time spent finding the right pattern, and the cost of the pattern, and time spent making sure the pattern fits your feet...) compared to picking up a pair of socks at the dollar store? No brainer if you're trying to be frugal. You could buy enough socks to wear a new pair each day for a year before you'd reach the actual cost of the handmade ones. 

Lori, of course, has the time and money to do such things - but she doesn't. 

Put on an audiobook of the Bible and knit yourself a pair of socks, Lori. Come back when you're done and tell us about how making things yourself saves money.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

17 hours ago, Fallgirl30 said:

I have been following Lori for over a year.  Sometimes I agree with her, many times I am really angry.  There are a handful of men who go there and smack women down every chance they get, we know who they are.  I was blown away a few months ago when she put Kenneth Shock’s massive ego in place, he hasn’t returned since.  As a Christian, the more I read her stuff, the more myopic my view of myself becomes.  The whole of the Bible isn’t what I need to be concerned with or study as long as I am living out biblical womanhood, and that is a narrow road according to Lori.  Any deviation of that and the people there think you are a whore, jezebel, and/or dress like a slut or prostitute and these are their words.  I know she teaches from only a few verses.  Her interpretation of modesty is flat out wrong.  She has made being a keeper at home and all that it implies her hill to die on.  I have checked out both her daughter’s IG pages and they are both nutrition specialists.  Disordered eating handed down from mom and dad?  Maybe.  Sean What’shisface told a woman her husband cheated bc she didn’t give him enough blow jobs.  I’ve checked him out online and he looks like a psychopath.  These are her people.  Everything is the woman’s fault, absolutely everything.  The more time I spend there, the shittier I feel.  I have to take a step back and see that this isn’t Christianity.  I also look at women whose studies I have done and enjoyed and thought "they aren’t teaching biblical womanhood, they’re off track, they’re wrong."  I’m not proud of this.  I do volunteer work for a prison ministry.  We have a weekly Bible study and it’s lead and written by women.  I think "No!  She isn’t supposed to be doing this, how do I know it’s the truth?!"  Look at what I have allowed myself to become.  I read on SSB a post about some key verses that didn’t have gender attached to them in the original text, that came in later translations.  It could blow the lid off Lori’s insistence against female leadership and pastors.  She will never listen because she has surrounded herself with "yes" people.  The people who should listen to it, would ignore it anyways because they have also built their brand on biblical patriarchy.  They would have to admit they are wrong.  I was in bed with a bad cold over the weekend (covid negative so that was good) and I didn’t have the energy to go on her page.  I was happier even with that damned cold.  I have made around 30 sock accounts that have been blocked by Lori.  I know I can stop and at some point I will give it up and not visit anymore.  

You sound really conflicted about Lori's teaching. On the one hand, you can tell that she's got a lot wrong. On the other hand, you have a few opinions in common -- which makes you uncomfortable. There are a lot of ways to interpret the Bible, but Lori's way of saying, "This verse vaguely resembles something I already believe, so I'm not going to do any hard thinking about it." -- is basically the worst. She doesn't teach the Bible or 'biblical womanhood'. She teaches her own opinions (that she has long held) by dragging a half dozen proof texts briefly on stage with her. The opinions are probably what she was taught in church since childhood -- they are very old fashioned -- but they aren't the only way to look at the Bible. Modern Bible scholars are a diverse bunch! You'd probably be surprised what 'biblical womanhood' can look like these days!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Pammy said:

You sound really conflicted about Lori's teaching. On the one hand, you can tell that she's got a lot wrong. On the other hand, you have a few opinions in common -- which makes you uncomfortable. There are a lot of ways to interpret the Bible, but Lori's way of saying, "This verse vaguely resembles something I already believe, so I'm not going to do any hard thinking about it." -- is basically the worst. She doesn't teach the Bible or 'biblical womanhood'. She teaches her own opinions (that she has long held) by dragging a half dozen proof texts briefly on stage with her. The opinions are probably what she was taught in church since childhood -- they are very old fashioned -- but they aren't the only way to look at the Bible. Modern Bible scholars are a diverse bunch! You'd probably be surprised what 'biblical womanhood' can look like these days!

Correct!  A theologian she ain’t.  Realizing she really has an axe to grind and this is the way she’s chosen to do it.  In the process she’s become the "pick me girl" for the neck beards and she doesn’t realize it’s not a desirable goal.  She loves attention, she looks brittle and miserable.  I can tell she seems to be struggling cognitively from her latest video.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic