IGNORED

(CW: Child Sex Abuse) Josh & Anna 29: Left with Nothing but a Flip Phone Full of Shame

nelliebelle1197

24 minutes ago, bertnee said:

I'd like to know that the child victims are alive and safe now and being helped, but I can't even search for it because I really don't want to know more about the video and obviously I don't even know the names of the victims. But I just really hope they are. 

A true crime youtube channel I follow covered this story a long time ago (and thankfully was very vague on the details) but she mentioned two of them, including the one it was named after are alive and being helped, the other has passed. 

And this is making me sick to my stomach again. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 4

21 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I wonder if they are hoping to set their daughter up with one of the remaining Lost Boys.... Jason?  But their son being close friends with Jed, Jer, and Austin makes it less weird that JB asked them to help Josh.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Agreed - and because they had most of those kids while still broke and then TLC came along to make JB and M millionaires it just reinforces the magical thinking that you can have a ton of babies and God will not only provide, but reward.  JB and M are living breathing prosperity gospel right at home.  

Anyone with a half a brain should be able to understand that JB /M were the first prolific reproducers who were willing to sell their family’s privacy away for cash. That unusual situation as been done, check. So what are Joe and Kendra or Ben and Jessa going to do that anyone wants to pay good money to see or hear? Here’s a clue to them all, having a bunch of kids that you really can’t support or adequately parent isn’t it.

• Upvote 14

28 minutes ago, bertnee said:

I found the podcast they referenced because I really don't know much about the dark web and how it works. The podcast was specifically talking about the horrific video by the Australian man, which was referenced by the prosecutor in Josh's case as one of the worst ever and was apparently one of the files Josh had on his computer. 

I referenced the CBC podcast series Hunting Warhead which is a highly disturbing but very informative account of how CSA materials are distributed, who creates & accesses them on dark web sites, how those dark web sites work, and how LE goes after it all.

I don't recall the specific Australian video you mention but Australian LE were instrumental in taking down the particular dark site described in this podcast and its owner. The owner is a Canadian and was convicted of CSA crimes in the US where he is currently imprisoned.

Edited by hoipolloi
Clarity
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 8

39 minutes ago, coffeebean7 said:

Oh I know it.  Lovely field to work in.

It has it moments. But it has really good ones too. We see a lot of people come through our doors with genuine addiction and mental health issues and sometimes they need to hit rock bottom or need to have someone literally guiding them in the right direction to turn their lives around. Not all of our Probationers are bad people, some of them have done things because of a mental health, addiction, desperation, etc standpoint. We always say Rehabilitation is the name of the game, but not everyone can be "Fixed" and at that point it's giving the the tools to not re-offend. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 19

Will the news never learn? The Rebers are not a “clean cut Christian” couple. They are deep in it, and, yes, their 22 year old daughter is a SAHD.

Sometimes it blows my mind that “journalists” will troll here and Reddit for what Duggar “fans” are thinking but not do some basic actual investigative work.

• Upvote 16

11 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

death to self

I had totally forgotten about this phrase until reading this.  A shudder just went through me.  

Fundy lite family member would preach this when I was a kid, death to self.  It bothered me so much.  I liked me, no matter what anyone else thought.  I still like me, despite everything.  I didn't understand why God wouldn't like me, and why would be want who I am to die metaphorically and become something else?  

I was either a pre-teen or very early teen, but I do remember how creepy and sad I felt when she said that and changed how I saw her....I went from seeing her as pushy to crazy.  Grown up me would use the word deluded, but past little me was very unnerved by this.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 15

Just now, neuroticcat said:

Will the news never learn?

The problem, as Crissy Stroop and many other ex-evangelicals have pointed out, is that the news media in the US privilege Christianity above all other religions. IOW, Christians are always assumed to be good with any wrong-doing depicted as an aberration.

Until this kind of bullshit "reporting" stops, and the media begin to examine Christians & Christianity with the same scrutiny they give other organizations, we can expect that the Duggars' loathsome beliefs & everything else will get a pass.

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, Sullie06 said:

It has it moments. But it has really good ones too. We see a lot of people come through our doors with genuine addiction and mental health issues and sometimes they need to hit rock bottom or need to have someone literally guiding them in the right direction to turn their lives around. Not all of our Probationers are bad people, some of them have done things because of a mental health, addiction, desperation, etc standpoint. We always say Rehabilitation is the name of the game, but not everyone can be "Fixed" and at that point it's giving the the tools to not re-offend. 

So you distinguish between "Fixed" or rehabilitated  and trained not to re-offend? The distinction interests me. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I just want to clarify one thing for those of us who aren't waist deep in the True Crime Podcast World, and I understand why @HerNameIsBuffy's post is pinned/recommended but based on my reading, no names of websites have ever been mentioned here. The truth about these areas of the Dark Web is that by the time a journalist or LEO or FBI officer knows the name of a site, that site has jumped ship and move somewhere else. Some of the sites exist for hours, or days. They bounce fast. Kind of like a subreddit that keeps getting banned or locked but even faster, and with even fewer breadcrumbs to find the new one. 

Even though I understand why it's being redacted here, no information here would lead anybody to a live site. They're too short-lived, fast-moving. I just want people to know this because it might put some minds at ease here.

(Of course, knowing this means we know that Josh knew people involved in this, probably had online friends, and I'm very interested to see what comes out in discovery about his bitcoin activity, if they can find any of that. I bet they have found evidence of bitcoin farming or purchasing.)

Edited by Antimony
  • Upvote 20
  • Thank You 1

31 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Out of curiosity how do they enforce the no electronics thing? I'm trying to think of how you'd police that at home and I can't come up with an effective way to do it.

And does it apply to the workplace?  Like if we hire someone for a production position they won't need to use the computer, but if they are promoted to supervisor they will.  In those cases would someone who was barred from using electronics be able to get a waiver for work?  

Regular electronic sweeps is the biggest way to monitor it. Where I'm from our Probation Conditions have search clauses. We can come into an offenders home, car, business, etc and perform a search without a warrant at any time. Also we work with local utility companies to monitor service at offenders addresses. We have software that monitors social media and such for offenders. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 11

1 minute ago, Antimony said:

I just want to clarify one thing for those of us who aren't waist deep in the True Crime Podcast World, and I understand why @HerNameIsBuffy's post is pinned/recommended but based on my reading, no names of websites have ever been mentioned here. The true about these areas of the Dark Web is that by the time a journalist or LEO or FBI officer knows the name of a site, that site has jumped ship and move somewhere else. Some of the sites exist for hours, or days. They bounce fast. Kind of like a subreddit that keeps getting banned or locked but even faster, and with even fewer breadcrumbs to find the new one. 

Even though I understand why it's being redacted here, no information here would lead anybody to a live site. They're too short-lived, fast-moving. I just want people to know this because it might put some minds at ease here.

(Of course, knowing this means we know that Josh knew people involved in this, probably had online friends, and I'm very interested to see what comes out in discovery about his bitcoin activity, if they can find any of that. I bet they have found evidence of bitcoin farming or purchasing.)

The name of said video has been mentioned. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Pearls of wisdom from someone I used to work included never take parenting advice from someone whose children are not fully functioning contributing adults. 

Kinda discriminatory to those of us with disabled children.

• Upvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Eyeroll 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 7

10 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I wonder if they are hoping to set their daughter up with one of the remaining Lost Boys.... Jason?  But their son being close friends with Jed, Jer, and Austin makes it less weird that JB asked them to help Josh.  

You think?  My kids have a lot of friends and if any of their parents asked me to house their sex predator son it would be a resounding no.  

I cannot believe they are doing this with a young adult daughter in the house.  When my 20 something daughter lived at home I'd warn her not to walk past the house if Smuggar lived on the same street, much less put him up in the guest room.  

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 23

3 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

Where I'm from our Probation Conditions have search clauses. We can come into an offenders home, car, business, etc and perform a search without a warrant at any time. 

Don't know about Arkansas, but I believe these conditions are in place in many US states.

Being an offender on probation means agreeing to warrantless, unannounced searches & other kinds of oversight. 

• Upvote 9

4 minutes ago, RainbowSky said:

The name of said video has been mentioned. 

Yea, I get that but it isn't a website. That is extremely public information that does not lead you to the sites where people might have it. Stephanie Soo, a True-Crime mukbanger of all people, has mentioned this name. It isn't sufficient information to be newly dangerous -- if somebody wants to know about it for nefarious purposes, they already do. It isn't a secret. It isn't a website you'd have to look for, is my point. 

This doesn't work like me telling you that Jurassic Park is a cool movie and then you can go to Netflix and search "Jurassic Park". It's much much much much much more complicated. It's more like if you had to know how to go to a different city, walk into a gym, go to a locker, type in a code to open the locker, find a phone in the locker, dial a phone number, tell the person who answered a password, and then say, "I'd like to get a DVD of Jurassic Park." The Jurassic Park isn't the sensitive information, the city, gym address, locker location, locker code, phone number and password are the sensitive information.

Edited by Antimony
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

I’ve read people say Josh has been released earlier today but I can’t find information via Google?

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Antimony said:

Yea, I get that but it isn't a website. That is extremely public information that does not lead you to the sites where people might have it. Stephanie Soo, a True-Crime mukbanger of all people, has mentioned this name. It isn't sufficient information to be newly dangerous -- if somebody wants to know about it for nefarious purposes, they already do. It isn't a secret. It isn't a website you'd have to look for, is my point. 

This doesn't work like me telling you that Jurassic Park is a cool movie and then you can go to Netflix and search "Jurassic Park". It's much much much much much more complicated. It's more like if you had to know how to go to a different city, walk into a gym, go to a locker, type in a code, dial a phone number, tell the person who answered a password, and then say, "I'd like to get a DVD of Jurassic Park." The Jurassic Park isn't the sensitive information, the city, gym address, locker location, locker code, phone number and password are the sensitive information.

I mean, some people might not want to know specifics. If they're curious about exactly how depraved he was and read what the images that he had were and were like "That's disgusting but there couldn't possibly be anything worse, right?" And check it out? Yeah. There's worse. 

Edited by RainbowSky
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

So you distinguish between "Fixed" or rehabilitated  and trained not to re-offend? The distinction interests me. 

Some people have mental health diseases they will always have. We can't "fix" that but we can get them therapy, medication, maybe a better living environment. Some people have things that can be "fixed" such as lack of education, homelessness, peer associations. Addiction is another one, they will always have addiction issues but they can be in recovery and change their lives.  They will always have these issues but they can learn tools to keep them from falling into a place where they re-offend. 

Other people don't have any distinct reason. Maybe it was peer pressure. Maybe they didn't realize they were committing a crime (you would be amazed at how often that happens), maybe they just made a poor choice. 

THen you have people who constantly circle around the system. Jail, Probation, Rehab, Parole. They just continue to offend. Maybe they don't want to change. Maybe it's a lifestyle. 

Edited by Sullie06
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

1 minute ago, luv2laugh said:

I’ve read people say Josh has been released earlier today but I can’t find information via Google?

It's all over Twitter, per Googling. I'm really bad at The Tweeting lol

• Upvote 2

This pertains to the case against one of the January 6 asshats, but I could see one or more Josh's legal team saying exactly this to themselves!

857337954_AtleastImnotgoingtojail!.thumb.jpg.25dbdc5f94aba26b1d5548c66f7af5ea.jpg

• Upvote 15

3 minutes ago, RainbowSky said:

no names of websites have ever been mentioned here.

That's because I redacted them when they were mentioned....and I had to redact them out of the posts that quoted them.  

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 11

30 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

Isn’t he a pilot or something? ?

The real JD?  Not possible!  I think you might be confusing him with Timothy Rodrigues, renowned future missionary pilot. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 23

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

You think?  My kids have a lot of friends and if any of their parents asked me to house their sex predator son it would be a resounding no.  

I cannot believe they are doing this with a young adult daughter in the house.  When my 20 something daughter lived at home I'd warn her not to walk past the house if Smuggar lived on the same street, much less put him up in the guest room.  

And will an adult have to physically accompany and monitor Josh during his wakening hours? If so, I’m envisioning the M kids being dumped at the TTH, while Anna babysits Josh. Hell, I could see Anna moving on into the Rebels’ in-law unit. Maybe he’d rather be in prison-

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sixcatatty said:

I want Josh Duggar jailed as much as anybody but those "technicalities" are called Constitutional rights, specifically the FOurth Amendment right. He has a right to present a defense, including one that doesn't hold water. Even Josh Duggar has them. I want this trial done right (constitutionally) so that he has no winning appealable issue.

Yes, thank you.  The fourth amendment is not a technicality.  Neither is the eighth.  It's kind of a pet peeve of mine.  Along with people who whine about jury duty.  It's a small price to pay to preserve that right.   

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 5

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic