IGNORED

Upcoming Babies 20: So Many Babies, So Many Spirits to Crush

Bethella

1 minute ago, hollyandivy said:

I have no middle name - my grandmother has 8 middle names, so signing any legal documents was a nightmare, it resulted in no middle names for her own children or grandchildren. The great grandchildren all  have middle names.

My mom doesn't have a middle name either. It's so weird - her older brother & 3 younger siblings do have middle names, so it's not like it was a pattern / plan for all the kids. If I ever asked / knew why, I've since forgotten. 

My husband was born in the 70s and his middle name is unique. I doubt anyone else has his middle name (besides our son). It’s just not a normal middle name. It’s a thing. And most people don’t use this thing as a name. I have a fairly common middle name and it’s the same middle name as my sister and my mother. My sister and I didn’t appreciate having the same middle name as kids. But as adults we are completely fine with it. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2021 at 6:14 PM, fundiefan said:

My BFF was Lisa Ann. And the only thing that was off about that was that she wasn't Lisa Marie because every single Lisa on the planet in the 70's & 80's  was Lisa Marie. Her older sister's middle name was Marie so her parent's didn't want to use it again. And they lamented the fact they didn't know Lisa would come along & save the "right" middle name for her. 

*waves* Lisa Joanne here born early’80s. Does that mean I’m not from this planet? Might explain a few things.

My mum and uncle have no middle names.  Mum has a 1 syllable first name and was born with a 1 syllable surname. She always felt rather short-changed in the name department. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Leila25 said:

Did I miss a pregnancy announcement from Courtney??   Noticed the pregnant emoji just now on her IG.  

That's the announcement. 

• Upvote 8

14 hours ago, hollyandivy said:

I have no middle name - my grandmother has 8 middle names, so signing any legal documents was a nightmare,…

Eight!?!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, hollyandivy said:

I have no middle name - my grandmother has 8 middle names, so signing any legal documents was a nightmare, it resulted in no middle names for her own children or grandchildren. The great grandchildren all  have middle names.

This is going to show my age in long-ago interwebz phenomena, but this reminds me of the kooky couple who named their daughter with so many middle names that her initials spelled P.A.R.A.D.O.X.I.C.A.L . ?? And they were all "the gubmint is trying to keep us down!!11!" when the birth certificate people were like "um, no".  And then they went full nutters and she tried to give him a home vasectomy on the kitchen table or something? Anyways.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 8
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, hollyandivy said:

My siblings and I each have three names. My son will only have one since having so many names can be a real pain in the ass.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, caitrona said:

This is going to show my age in long-ago interwebz phenomena, but this reminds me of the kooky couple who named their daughter with so many middle names that her initials spelled P.A.R.A.D.O.X.I.C.A.L . ?? And they were all "the gubmint is trying to keep us down!!11!" when the birth certificate people were like "um, no".  And then they went full nutters and she tried to give him a home vasectomy on the kitchen table or something? Anyways.  

I remember that!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

My siblings and I each have three names. My son will only have one since having so many names can be a real pain in the ass.

Same here! My parents were big fans of middle names, so my brother and I got two each. My husband has no middle name at all, and neither do our kids. One area where I gladly opted to do things their way…

• Upvote 3

I’ve talked about this before. My sister & I have 4 names. I don’t use my middle names at all. I use all 4 of my initials for my dog walking business. It’s the first time in my life I used all 4 of them. 

• Upvote 3

And here I was torn about my younger son’s two middle names when he was born! We had to include both grandfathers’ first names in his middle names. I couldn’t use just one and not the other. And their names sounded so nice together! But when we say his full name it sounds kind of long. But at least it flows and sounds good. 

• Upvote 4

We gave our kids one middle name each, both named after a family member (one from MrAdidas’ side and one from mine).

Funny story. The men in my family all have two middle names and I thought we were going to carry on the tradition … but when my son came back from being weighed he had a different middle name on his name card than the one I thought we’d locked in ? . I thought we were going to use DH’s middle name as well as my dad’s middle name, but hubby changed his mind. I didn’t care at all, my husband had decided to honour his grampy instead.

My brother used our dad’s middle name for his son, which was sweet. Dad was chuffed beyond words.

• Upvote 2

My middle name is my mother's first name. Mum's middle name is my nana's first name. My nana's middle name was her mothers first...... Something similar happened to my brother, and he has my father's first name as his middle name.

I guess it makes naming your kids easier if the middle names are already sorted!

• Upvote 1

Our hypothetical future kids will likely have 5 names. For a girl, it would be: Firstname Hismumsname, Mymumsname MySurname-HisSurname. I'm sure it'll be fine. It's rare that they will use all of them. 

I have always liked long names. When I was a teen, I dreamt that I would marry Prince Harry and have 8 kids, with 8 names each. Loved coming up with 64 royal-sounding/royal-suitable names! 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Katzchen24 said:

My middle name is my mother's first name. Mum's middle name is my nana's first name. My nana's middle name was her mothers first...... Something similar happened to my brother, and he has my father's first name as his middle name.

I guess it makes naming your kids easier if the middle names are already sorted!

Similar tradition for males in my family. My brother’s middle name is my father’s first. My father has his father’s first name as his middle. When I was little, I thought all boys’ names worked that way. 

• Upvote 1

The first letters of my maiden name(s) spelled an acronym that was my Great-Grandmother's first name. (Actually, ALL of my names were portmanteaux or variations on family names.) My mother did this intentionally, and I always thought it was cool.

Not my name, but for an example: Jessica Ann Namely = "JAN". 

My best friend was open to naming her youngest after me in some fashion, but didn't particularly care for my given names or nicknames. But the "Jan" name suited her perfectly.  It thrills me to know that a little piece of my GGma's legacy is toddling around, especially since I'm not likely to contribute to the future of humanity on a genetic level. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

I'm pregnant and Mr. Fish and I are trying to do the opposite of a lot of people here: avoid family names as we may only have 1 and don't want to leave anyone out. And frankly I don't have any particular family favourites I want to honour. We are also avoiding names of Mr. Fish's annoying students so many are crossed off the list!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

My mother was born in 1920, and her name was Lillie Mae.  She HATED her name, absolutely loathed it.  And now, those two names are so common and apparently loved by many people.  I gave my daughter a unique (actually correct in its native country) spelling of her first name, and she still holds it against me.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

Courtney posted her bump pic. 

oy vey. 

Honestly? Is she far along enough to HAVE a bump? 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Hazelbunny said:

Honestly? Is she far along enough to HAVE a bump? 

Yep. She does typically have bumps pretty early and she posted saying "stick baby stick" - so I'm betting she's not much more than 12 weeks at this point, if that. And, given it's only been 8 months since the rough birth of #11, when the doctor told her to wait, I can imagine there is a chance the baby will not "stick".

So, Caris is 8 months old. Doctor told her to wait - for them, apparently "waiting" means getting pregnant six or so months after birth instead of the typical 3. Because that extra few months just healed things right up and her body is 100% ready to nourish another fetus to full term, all healthy & shit. 

God, I swear people are f*cking stupid. I don't wish bad thigs to babies or moms. but I can and do wish for an end to the insanity. She has 11 f*cking kids; is that not enough? What the hell is her husband going to do with 12 kids if this birth does her in? If this time, the complications can't be overcome?

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 7

My ex-father-in-law and my dad happen to have the same first name, which made picking my son’s middle name easy. My daughters don’t have family names though, just names that we liked and were meaningful to us in other ways.

• Upvote 3

On 8/1/2021 at 11:03 PM, Hortense Peyrac said:

According FB of different family members, I assume in february...

Probably around February 9, according to fundamentalists wiki!

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic