IGNORED

Dillards 89: I'd Watch a Netflix Xpecial and so Would My Mom

HerNameIsBuffy

23 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

Stupid question, but this discussion made me think... what are lawyers or attorneys called in English? ?

In French, a lawyer is called ''Maître''. Derick would literally be adressed as Maître Dillard if he was practicing law in a French-speaking country. Pretty sure the ''maître'' isn't related to ''master'' in the sense of someone having an autority above others, but in the sense that they are a master of the law.

No titles that I might be unaware of in the English language?

Esquire as in Derick Dillard, Esquire.  

• Upvote 7

45 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

Stupid question, but this discussion made me think... what are lawyers or attorneys called in English? ?

In French, a lawyer is called ''Maître''. Derick would literally be adressed as Maître Dillard if he was practicing law in a French-speaking country. Pretty sure the ''maître'' isn't related to ''master'' in the sense of someone having an autority above others, but in the sense that they are a master of the law.

No titles that I might be unaware of in the English language?

Not a stupid question at all.  They are addressed as Mr. (or Ms.) but their names have Esquire added at the end.  (John Smith, Esquire.  “Dear Mr. Smith.”)   This is in the USA.  (Other English speaking countries may have different forms.)

Edited by EmCatlyn
Add about other countries.
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

7 hours ago, viii said:

Was James on her buddy team?

He was, and since he was young, I've had my eye on him as the son that may be most likely to break the fundie chains forced on him by his parents. ( I'm sure they are trying very hard to get him married off though.)

He's very close to Jill still.  During the last Duggar Christmas extravaganza filmed by Jessa, at one point he appeared to be facetiming with Jill's kids and he held up the phone to the crowd to show them.  No one paid any attention to him.  

So I'm happy to see he made the graduation, and wouldn't be surprised if he was the only sibling of Jill's that did. 

• Upvote 24
  • Love 7

47 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

He was, and since he was young, I've had my eye on him as the son that may be most likely to break the fundie chains forced on him by his parents. ( I'm sure they are trying very hard to get him married off though.)

He's very close to Jill still.  During the last Duggar Christmas extravaganza filmed by Jessa, at one point he appeared to be facetiming with Jill's kids and he held up the phone to the crowd to show them.  No one paid any attention to him.  

So I'm happy to see he made the graduation, and wouldn't be surprised if he was the only sibling of Jill's that did. 

IIRC, Derick was only allotted 6 tickets. There was Jill, Cathy & Ronnie, Dan & Deena, and James. I guess kids under a certain age don't count.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 10

4 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

ahhh thank you i take my BEC back I did not see the mask in the lap 

She may not be able to be vaccinated yet, she may not be strong enough yet to be done. My Friends  Mum is recovering from breast cancer and cant be done yet, I know Cathy's was a while ago but she does still look quiet frail. If indeed she can not have it yet for medical reasons, for people like her I am happy to have the shot to help with herd immunity to protect the frail.

Most cancer patients are eligible for the COVID vaccine.  I received mine in January - 3 months after completing high dose chemo/radiation therapy.  Cathy was treated for Cancer in 2014.  As far as I can recall, there has been no indication of a relapse.  She is more than 5 years out from treatment and is most likely considered "cured".  I would be very surprised if she wasn't vaccinated. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 9

In her Instagram post about the graduation Jill uses the hashtags #publicservice #publicinterestlaw

I’m not sure what this will mean- possibly that he’s going to be working for one of the Christian groups that defends people against so called persecution?

• Downvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thank You 3

Does anyone know what a pro bono leader is? 

derrickprobono.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 8

6 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Not a stupid question at all.  They are addressed as Mr. (or Ms.) but their names have Esquire added at the end.  (John Smith, Esquire.  “Dear Mr. Smith.”)   This is in the USA.  (Other English speaking countries may have different forms.)

In UK it’s just Mr or Ms as esquire is used generally in old fashioned address of males. E.g. A letter addressed to John Smith Esq. doesn’t indicate that John has any law qualifications. 

Edited by Lavenderdilly
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

Just now, Lavenderdilly said:

In UK it’s just Mr or Ms as esquire is used generally in old fashioned address of males. E.g. A letter addressed to John Smith Esq. doesn’t indicate that John has any legal qualifications. 

yes, it would traditionally be used for a gentleman who didn't have any title (basically to imply a certain 'quality' of social status), and even further back for a young man in training to be a knight. It's still used in legal paperwork sometimes as basically a respectful title where no other is relevant. But you don't gain it with legal qualifications as you do in the US.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 4

In England when addressing the court we have to refer to our opponent as’my friend’ for a solicitor and ‘my learned friend’ for a barrister. Even if you can’t stand them! 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 21
  • Thank You 5

A little late to this, but weighing in on what a US attorney is called. Once you are admitted to the bar, you are entitled to use “Esquire” after your name in written address (“John Smith, Esq.” not “Mr. John Smith, Esq.”). Some lawyers insist on it, others find it pretentious. It’s historically a male form of address so it looks a little weird coupled with a female name. 

You are also entitled to call yourself “John Smith, Attorney at Law.”

In spoken address, attorneys are simply “Mr./Ms. Smith.” No special title. Occasionally, especially in court, someone will address an attorney as “counselor” or “counsel.” I suspect judges do it do they don’t have to remember attorney names. 

One final thing - “attorney” and “lawyer” are interchangeable in meaning in the US. Most lawyers I know, including myself, prefer to be called an “attorney,” probably because it sounds more erudite. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 12

7 hours ago, Idlewild said:

In her Instagram post about the graduation Jill uses the hashtags #publicservice #publicinterestlaw

I’m not sure what this will mean- possibly that he’s going to be working for one of the Christian groups that defends people against so called persecution?

From Wikipedia 

Public interest law loosely, refers to legal practices undertaken to help poor or marginalized people, or to effect change in social policies in the public interest, on 'not for profit' terms (pro bono publico). In general terms it means a legal action initiated in the court of law for the protection of Public Interest.[1]

It is not a body of law or a legal field, matters lawyers work on. Rather, it denotes the clientele they represent. Instead of serving powerful economic interests, it stands for the advocacy of otherwise under-represented or vulnerable individuals, especially those living in poverty. It has grown to encompass a broader range of activities, typically the field of non-lawyers like civil rights, civil liberties, women's rights, consumer rights, environmental protection, and so on.[2] Nevertheless, a common ethic for public-interest lawyers in a growing number of countries remains “fighting for the little guy”.[3]

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 14
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

Does anyone know what a pro bono leader is? 

Probably a "leader" - however defined- in a group of students who provided legal service free-of-charge to needy persons under the supervision of lawyer law professors. It could be simply that he provided service, and all of his classmates who did so were "leaders." Or it could mean those who met certain goals were "leaders." 

It is pretty standard for law schools to provide such service, perhaps in partnership with some non-profit organization(s).

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

IF he's been focusing on public interest law that might explain why he has said law school was "eye opening" and also perhaps contributed to his bigoted posts dying down. Could be because he realizes the internet is forever and he doesn't want anything else out there for people to google about him, but I have a tiny kernel of hope that it's because he's actually learning and growing. 

I would think in that type of law work he's going to meet and probably work with or represent a much more diverse group of people than he's accustomed to, unless he's going the hard opposite and planning to work for some super-Christian group constantly claiming persecution. But even so, he'd have had to have exposure (again, since he did go to real college and has traveled) in law school to a variety of people and learned about a variety of cases of different types. 

I've heard a few people speculate that Derrick went down the fundie hole looking for stability and hope after having a rough time dealing with his dad's death. 

I don't know how much that is true, and he's said some horrible bigoted things just a few short years ago, but people can learn and change and I hope he has. Jill certainly has in the past few years. I could see a focus in public interest law opening his horizons even further. 

• Upvote 24

So Jill's visits at the big house had to be monitored...but Josh got to come and go through out the Duggar property?? Sorry this just popped in my head?

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 11

38 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

So Jill's visits at the big house had to be monitored...but Josh got to come and go through out the Duggar property?? Sorry this just popped in my head?

And a lyric from the Clash's "White Man in Hammersmith Palais"  just popped into mine:

If Adolf Hitler Josh flew in  came home today
They'd send a limousine anyway

And Jill would still not be welcomed.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Well sure.  Josh knows how to apologize when he sins.  Jill is shameless.  Also: he’s a man.  

Not to mention: Jill would probably try to influence her younger siblings (ie: tell them the truth about their family). Cant have that!!

Edited by Jlurker
Added the “not to mention” PS
  • Upvote 22
  • I Agree 1

No matter how hard the breakup with the Big House was/is for Jill, she and her family are a bajillion times better without her parents and their tenets in their lives. Sure it’s a shock and likely physically hurts to learn the truth about her parents and their real motives, but she knows now, and her husband seems patient and supportive of her efforts. Jill will be OK-

And maybe some of the others can use the Dillards as positive role models.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 33

9 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

And maybe some of the others can use the Dillards as positive role models.

I really hope the likes of James (&Jennifer if she is ever allowed to visit) see them and understand that they are good, kind people, live in a nice home and are happy, despite the children going to school and Derick not working in Duggarland. Part of the reason cults like this exist is that the parents put the fear of God into children about public school and any ‘worldly’ pursuits.

• Upvote 21

On that same instagram page that posted about Derick's probono medal, there is this post from last month that shows him working at a naturalization clinic.

freejinger.jpg

• Upvote 23
  • Thank You 25

Very cool that James got to go even with the family issues. That's an important step for Derick and out of them all, James got to see it and see his big sister mom's family presumably getting a way to have a good life. 

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

IF he's been focusing on public interest law that might explain why he has said law school was "eye opening" and also perhaps contributed to his bigoted posts dying down. Could be because he realizes the internet is forever and he doesn't want anything else out there for people to google about him, but I have a tiny kernel of hope that it's because he's actually learning and growing. 

I would think in that type of law work he's going to meet and probably work with or represent a much more diverse group of people than he's accustomed to, unless he's going the hard opposite and planning to work for some super-Christian group constantly claiming persecution. But even so, he'd have had to have exposure (again, since he did go to real college and has traveled) in law school to a variety of people and learned about a variety of cases of different types. 

I've heard a few people speculate that Derrick went down the fundie hole looking for stability and hope after having a rough time dealing with his dad's death. 

I don't know how much that is true, and he's said some horrible bigoted things just a few short years ago, but people can learn and change and I hope he has. Jill certainly has in the past few years. I could see a focus in public interest law opening his horizons even further. 

Maybe he was hit in the face that different people are still people? Hopefully.

Edited by RainbowSky
  • Upvote 23

I always liked James, he had a spunk to him that they didn’t quench and he was kind to Jenni. Jenni and Jordyn have a place in my heart as they were arguable the most neglected by their parents and lost their sister moms really young. In my fantasy world, James will find a way of pursuing a career that interests him outside of the compound. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic