IGNORED

Dillards 89: I'd Watch a Netflix Xpecial and so Would My Mom

HerNameIsBuffy

Stepping back a topic to Jill in swimwear, I can't see her Instagram. (Insta has gotten harder and harder for me to see as someone who doesn't have an account.) So I found an article that shows the pics. 

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/pictures/jill-duggar-poses-in-swimwear-as-summer-approaches-photos/

I'd like to get a rash guard shirt and board shorts for swimming mainly because of the added sun protection. The practicality appeals to me, too!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

The swimsuits are cute and not over the top ~*modest*~. I would wear almost all of them without a second thought except the one that has knee-length biker shorts underneath the skirt. 

Edit- I checked out the website and while they do sell some below the knee swim skirts that seem entirely impractical unless you are literally just supervising children and have no intention of getting into the water yourself, it mostly seems like cute stuff.

Edited by bertnee
  • Upvote 9

I actually considered buying something from that site, but they didn't have the styles that I liked for tops and bottoms in my size in colors/patterns that I liked and would coordinate. 

• Upvote 3

Just saw some pictures of the Dillards on their FB page.  The four of them went camping for a few days over Derick's break and everyone looked like they were having a blast.  Jill is rocking a gold hoop in her nose as opposed to the little stud and looks very happy on their little getaway.   And I certainly can't blame them for wanting to flee the area for a bit and for taking advantage of the opportunity to do so.   

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4

On 5/14/2021 at 3:05 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I'd like to get a rash guard shirt and board shorts for swimming mainly because of the added sun protection. The practicality appeals to me, too!

I actually went to the site and found a short sleeved swim top, ordered it. It’s perfect for hanging around the water and finally deciding to get in. Sunburned shoulders make for horrible remaining vacation days. 

• Upvote 9

On 5/13/2021 at 12:13 PM, Cam said:

It seems a lot of swimsuit makers “think” women want the sexy look in bathing suits. Some women want it, which is fine, but there are tons of women who prefer a sporty look, often because they ARE chasing after and keeping up with kids at the pool or beach, which is a sport in itself! Moms want to be able to bend, stretch, reach, twist, turn and even run if necessary, without the butt or the boobs popping out of the beach wear. Women who aren’t moms want that, too! 

There are TONS of swimsuits that are made for and marketed to athletic women. No one wants to worry about their suit when swimming  or surfing or doing paddleboard yoga. (Or any other number of activities) 

There are both one and two piece versions available. It's just a matter of shopping for a suit at REI or a sports store instead of the trendy mall stores or a supermarket. And even then, there's usually a department store that carries some brands that aren't high-fashion but instead useful for actually getting in the water. I know it's been a thing in the past but I do think the athleisure style and culture is helping to get more realistic bathsuits for women nationwide. I don't think most younger women want the high-fashion look anymore, the crocheted string bikini and the black stringed low neck high leg suit with cutouts just seem like they are from another era. What even is the point of a suit you can't get wet? 

On 5/14/2021 at 12:05 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Swimoutlet.com has a huge selection of that stuff, and they have a ton of sales and coupon codes all the time. 

I bought my suit last year from REI, Prana put out a bunch of super cute, practical, and unique swimwear. I hope they update their selection for 2021 soon; but I'm sure it's more covid shortages/shipping issues. We're going to be feeling the effects of the pandemic economically for a while, IMO. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 4

I don't (& probably never will) agree with Jill on many things, but I hope that she has a happy birthday and continues to grow and evolve as a person.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 8

12 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Swimoutlet.com has a huge selection of that stuff, and they have a ton of sales and coupon codes all the time. 

Oooh, thanks for the link. I haven't had the chance to look closely yet, but at a glance they have both "D-cup and up" and "bra-sized swimwear" as options which are necessities for me! I might end up making a purchase before my beach trip this fall. 

Right now I have one swim top, and two swim bottoms. The top is from Fantasie and is basically a full underwire bra with an attached ruched cami, making it a tankini. It was pricy but actually supports and contains well enough to actually move around in. The matching bottoms were also pricy but since the top is black I just got a couple different ones at Torrid.  I've been wearing this suit for like 7 years, but I only need one a couple times a year unfortunately. This isn't a sporty suit by any means, but it's miles better than the shelf-bra or foam-cup-and-elastic ones I had for years, that did nothing at all for support and created a uniboob.

I think Jill looks pretty cute in her swimwear and I'm glad she's confident enough in herself to put photos like that out there. She's gone miles further away from the way she was raised than I ever expected any of them to go. I hope some other young fundie women are watching. 

(Wow, that sounded leghumpery. But I am willing to give credit where it's due - she's grown a lot and her kids are going to be better off than any of their cousins at this point. I hope she keeps that direction and doesn't double down on the hatefulness that is left in her beliefs.)

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 2

This thread inspired me to order a new bathing suit. I went with traditional bottoms but a rash guard top because my back and shoulders are always getting burned. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

Lands End also has some great modest options...I get mine and my girls’ suits there. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

I recently discovered Panache swimwear, the sizes go up to a K cup.  They have a website, also available through Amazon, Bare Necessities, etc.

Edited by Lurker
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

11 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

This thread inspired me to order a new bathing suit. I went with traditional bottoms but a rash guard top because my back and shoulders are always getting burned. 

This is my go to combo once I discovered rash guards! I love not having to worry about reapplying sunscreen to my back!! It’s been life changing, I feel so much more comfortable going to the pool and beach.

• Upvote 7

Question for those of you that wear rash guards or short sleeved swim tops. Do you still get burned on your arms/end up with a farmers tan from them? I have the issue every year that I always get burned on my shoulders once and then it peels, and if possible, I’d love to avoid that, but I really don’t want a farmers tan either. I feel like it’s impossible to avoid getting burned somewhere even when I put sunscreen on and reapply regularly. 

On 5/14/2021 at 1:25 PM, bertnee said:

The swimsuits are cute and not over the top ~*modest*~. I would wear almost all of them without a second thought except the one that has knee-length biker shorts underneath the skirt. 

Edit- I checked out the website and while they do sell some below the knee swim skirts that seem entirely impractical unless you are literally just supervising children and have no intention of getting into the water yourself, it mostly seems like cute stuff.

Iirc, modli was founded by orthodox Jewish women to sell modest fashions. They only recently pivoted to swimwear and don’t mention religion at all on their site. I think it’s good to offer varieties. We mock super religious swimwear but for many of these women, the other option is to not swim at all (or wear denim skirts like the rods). If it allows some semblance of normalcy and activity I think it’s a good thing. 

• Upvote 18

I was at a pool in Germany with my daughter, who was wearing a rash guard. The lifeguard came up and touched (!) her sleeve to “make sure it was a real suit and not street clothes.” They were very strict about policing especially the women’s swimwear, namely the Muslim women who were wearing longer suits, etc. It enraged me-it’s essentially taking away the freedom of women to wear what they feel comfortable in.

And don’t get me started on the French burkini ban.

These secularists think they are helping liberate women but in reality they are enforcing their own cultural and moral agendas.

Edited by Pleiades_06
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 10

15 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Question for those of you that wear rash guards or short sleeved swim tops. Do you still get burned on your arms/end up with a farmers tan from them? I have the issue every year that I always get burned on my shoulders once and then it peels, and if possible, I’d love to avoid that, but I really don’t want a farmers tan either. I feel like it’s impossible to avoid getting burned somewhere even when I put sunscreen on and reapply regularly. 

I wear long sleeve rash guards expressly so that I don't have to worry about sunblock/sunburns.  I'm very fair with a family history of skin cancer so I invest in having several,  mostly from Lands End and I wear a bikini bra top with cups and good support underneath. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I hate tight clothing so a rash guard isn’t for me (ASD sensory thing). I rarely go to a hot beach-type place so I wouldn’t need one anyway. I don’t mind using sunscreen. I got sunburn on my shoulder once, and that was probably because I was doing my sunscreen myself and couldn’t reach that bit of me properly. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

And don’t get me started on the French burkini 

This chubby ginger would love a Burkini. Just not in black (to hot). Top to toe coverage little to no sunscreen needed. Ummmm yes please. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

You shouldn't wear street clothes in a pool, especially a public pool. The fibers in cotton come apart and clog the filters. (And float around in the pool, being very gross) If I had my way, no one would swim without a swim cap if their hair was longer than an inch, either. Alas, I have to settle for "no shower, no swimming" Pools are expensive and super gross as they are. Yet people like the rods blatantly ignore common sense and make it harder for everyone to enjoy. Denim skirts should be a "come back when you are dressed appropriately" conversation.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 9

These posts just inspired me to purchase four new swimsuits for my vacation to Greece next month! (I may have gone over the top.)

I bought them all from Athleta and Land's End, because I have a long torso and big boobs and both brands offer tall options with decent support/coverage. So excited to lay on a beach for a week!

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

You shouldn't wear street clothes in a pool, especially a public pool. The fibers in cotton come apart and clog the filters.

Oh I didn't know that! I knew wearing street clothes in the pool wasn't the done thing but I'd never investigated why.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

I was at a pool in Germany with my daughter, who was wearing a rash guard. The lifeguard came up and touched (!) her sleeve to “make sure it was a real suit and not street clothes.” They were very strict about policing especially the women’s swimwear, namely the Muslim women who were wearing longer suits, etc. It enraged me-it’s essentially taking away the freedom of women to wear what they feel comfortable in.

And don’t get me started on the French burkini ban.

These secularists think they are helping liberate women but in reality they are enforcing their own cultural and moral agendas.

Growing up in Belgium boys had to wear speedo type swimsuits and not swimshorts because those could be worn as normal clothing. It was a pool hygiene thing. We also all had to wear swimmingcaps and we could only have swimming goggles, not toy goggles or snorkling masks or anything like that. 

It was definitely a hygiene thing and not a policing thing. I never saw rashguards then, but girls (children) wearing just swim bottoms was normal.

I understandthe lifeguard feeling the material if unsure about whether it is a swim material or not, with permission though! And the Burkini ban is ridiculous, really ridiculous.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

On the bathingsuit drift: I order my bikini's from Bravissimo. It's a UK based lingerie/swimwear store for D+ cup women. I love their bra's, I love their swimwear.
I like two pieces, but I don't like bra-style bikini tops. Unfortunately, non-bra like bikini tops in normal lingerie stores usually go in sizes like S/M/L/XL. Those kind of sizes don't work for me. Bravissimo swimsuits with non-bra like tops still have support and use your normal bra-size, so they fit and provide support. I love it. 

I recently bought this bikini, and I am in love with it!

Spoiler

image.png.671cdd94dcb53feef2f767cc88cebd28.png

• Upvote 21
  • Love 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic