IGNORED

Jinjer 56: Oh My Stars It's a Reality Show Book! How Surprising - Not

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

Oh absolutely- I have to drink decaf due to hypertension and the nespresso decaf is best tasting for me. I have a few friends who are very serious about coffee though and they’d never drink Starbucks. Most have their go to independent coffee shops but if they are restricted to a chain they go to Cafe Nero- I don’t know if you have that in the US? 
When I was last in the US the nicest decaf I had was from Dunkin Donuts! There was one just down from where we were staying and the coffee was so good. Donuts were pretty good too.

Nero is the best. Out of all chains we have in Poland I think it's got the best quality coffee and they also sell great sandwiches and pastries. I am not a fan of coffee in general but I do enjoy a cappuccino from Nero once in a while

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, ScorpiousMalfoy said:

Nero is the best. Out of all chains we have in Poland I think it's got the best quality coffee and they also sell great sandwiches and pastries. I am not a fan of coffee in general but I do enjoy a cappuccino from Nero once in a while

Totally agree. We are luck enough to have amazing local coffee roasters and shops but if I'm having to do a chain coffee Nero are pretty good- nice coffee and the pastry's are good to. 

Edited by byzant
Sp
  • Upvote 2

Anyone watch Conan O'Brien? Jordan Schlansky would not be impressed by Jeremy's Nespresso. I bet he doesn't even have the instructions in Italian. 

• Haha 5

I'm definitly not a connoisseur.  When I get coffee, it's just black coffee with no fanfare.  No additions, no foam with a cute design on it.  If it's too strong, I dilute it with water.  If that doesn't work, I dump it out and drink something else.  It's just not my cup of tea...er...coffee.

I think if I were in the right mood, I would enjoy grinding the beans, using a fancy machine or trying my hand at adding flavors, playing with the foam, things like that.  But that would only be for the entertainment factor, and I'd hope like Hell that I didn't take a liking to that stuff.  It'd be horrible for my pocketbook, my teeth, and my general health.

Just now, Flossie said:

definitly

*definitely

Sorry, FJ won't let me edit.

• Upvote 3

My taste in coffee, like so many other things are pretty much the cheapo way out. I buy store brand k-cups (Kroger donut shop blend) and if I'm out and about, it's either 7-11 or Circle K. I will confess a weakness for the Caramel Macciato at Starbucks, but that's a once in a blue moon treat. 

• Upvote 2

Brewed coffee upsets my stomach for some reason. I drink Dollar General brand instant coffee with no problem though. Other instant coffees don't agree with me either. I do drink several cups of coffee a day, but only the one brand of instant. Weird!

• Upvote 4

I'm reasonably balanced on the fussiness scale with coffee: I do grind my own beans, and at home I only make it in a filter machine, except for Turkish coffee, which I make in a pot. I don't really want to faff around with mocha pots, and I don't really like French press coffee. One day, I will have a super duper espresso machine, but they are too expensive and my kitchen is too small. I drink so much coffee, that I really can't justify using those little aluminium pods, so wasteful.
I used to be much fussier with my beans (and would also roast my own), but supermarkets have some really good varieties now, and we even have two local coffee roasters where I live, so I can get my fairtrade Ethiopian beans without having to send off for them. Plus, since I moved to Germany, I have discovered Tchibo, and they have an amazing selection of beans that aren't too pricy. So, actually, I guess I am quite fussy, lol. Having said that, I will happily drink any coffee people make for me.

If I wanted to be showing off my #coffee#goals#coffeemaker#lifestyle on SM, then my espresso machine would be at least a Baby Gaggia - though would that be #relatable?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

I’m a hillbilly when if comes to coffee. I buy the refillable k pods and whatever fair trade coffee is on sale. Dump in some lactose free cream and either a tea spoon of sugar and I’m done. I don’t have the drive to make fancy coffee, although I like it when I have it elsewhere. 

• Upvote 4

On 6/18/2021 at 8:19 PM, candygirl200413 said:

hello fellow philadelphian who also has love for Rhys Hoskins ❤️ and I'm jealous you got to witness Luke Williams walkoff! 

I would LOVE to witness her at all and every philly sports team game though! 

Hello!! Yes, it was incredible to experience in-person! The atmosphere was absolutely electric. I screamed myself hoarse because I couldn't believe it. There is seriously nothing like a walk-off home run. It was an awesome way to beat one of our big division rivals.

They could always sit next to this guy at a Philly sports game:

download.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I’m a hillbilly when if comes to coffee. I buy the refillable k pods and whatever fair trade coffee is on sale. Dump in some lactose free cream and either a tea spoon of sugar and I’m done. I don’t have the drive to make fancy coffee, although I like it when I have it elsewhere. 

Thank you for using refillable pods. It makes me cringe hard hearing about people using the single-use pods. All that plastic…

Im a tea drinker, but occasionally pull out the little French press and locally roasted beans. Oddly to me, Portland has at least two relatively well-known and popular roasters, but I think they’re vile. They always taste sour to me, no matter who made it or how.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

14 hours ago, Jasmar said:

Thank you for using refillable pods. It makes me cringe hard hearing about people using the single-use pods. All that plastic…

To be fair, it also depends on how much coffee you drink. At the time we had our Nespresso machine, we rarely drank coffee at home, so we used perhaps four or five pods a month. And we figured that was still better than throwing away half a tin of coffee every six months or so because it had lost its aroma.

• Upvote 3

I’m going to hop in and say sometimes it’s about logistical issues.  I have a Farberware maker at work that uses either pods or ground coffee.   I use pods at work because dealing with ground coffee at work when we do not have a kitchenette to was stuff out properly is a pain in the neck.  (And due to covid restrictions shared food, coffee pots and I believe ice - at least in our fridge without an ice maker/dispenser - is banned).  

At home, my Farberware gave up the ghost recently and Walmart had the entire store in chaos due to remodel so I chose a Hamilton Beach unit that uses only ground coffee but brews individual cups.  

Finally, there are “eco pods” available from some companies ( Cameron’s for instance) that allow you to cut the bottom off their pod and compost the coffee and then recycle the plastic portion.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

At home, my Farberware gave up the ghost recently and Walmart had the entire store in chaos due to remodel so I chose a Hamilton Beach unit that uses only ground coffee but brews individual cups. 

My (very eco-conscious) husband took up drinking a cup of coffee a day and I actually got him one of those for his desk at work, since the alternative at his office was a Keurig with pods.

I'm pretty easy to please, coffee-wise; I routinely buy the store-brand coffee grounds for my daily coffee and will resort to instant. Sometimes I'll get a flavored or more specialty coffee, but I just want the caffeine. About my only hard line is Starbucks: their coffee is expensive for how it always tastes burned!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

Is it the one that makes either a pot or a cup? 

• Upvote 1

@NotQuiteMotY I never understood what people were talking about when they said Starbucks coffee tasted burnt-until I had a latte from Dunkin Donuts! I do not like their lattes but I like their iced coffee. I find it very interesting how varied our tastes are from person to person. I love Panera’s hazelnut and light roast blends. At home we drink an organic store brand blend from Dillons. I also loved Philz coffee when I visited San Francisco. I love coffee in general- it’s one of the simple pleasures in life. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I hate the taste of coffee. There's not enough sugar and creamer in the world for me to drink it. My father-in-law is OBSESSED with coffee. Has his own professional roasting set up in the garage, sources beans from around the world, only drinks out of specific mugs that have the right size lip and are made to keep the coffee the right temperature and are the right material to keep from interfering with the taste, etc. He even brings his own coffee in a thermos if he goes to someone else's house for dinner because they won't have the proper set up to make him his after-dinner coffee. And adding even a grain of sugar is a cardinal sin.

The first time I went to my now-in-laws' house for dinner, he tried to get me to drink a cup, and I didn't know what to do. My husband had mentioned his dad's passion for coffee and I was so scared of offending him. I think I waited until he was distracted and made my husband drink it. Luckily he's learned that no matter how much he tries, I will never be a coffee drinker so he no longer tries to force it on me. 

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, Jasmar said:

Im a tea drinker, but occasionally pull out the little French press and locally roasted beans. Oddly to me, Portland has at least two relatively well-known and popular roasters, but I think they’re vile. They always taste sour to me, no matter who made it or how.

I brew a fresh cup of coffee every morning - have a nice tea kettle that whistles when the water is ready to be poured over the coffee grounds.  I prefer the Lion brand of coffee that is available at my local grocery store.  I add some ghee and heavy whipping cream and that's how I start every single day.   If I am in a rush and don't have time to make coffee before heading off to work, McDonald's black coffee works in a pinch - I just bring along a little container with ghee and whipping cream to add in.  It's only a buck!

• Upvote 4

On 6/18/2021 at 2:34 PM, nvmbr02 said:

My mom lived in Bermuda for 3 years (2005-2008) she loved it! We didn't get a chance to visit her while there but I would have loved to. It is on my list. 

We lived in Guam for 3 years (2016-2019). I loved it there, though it was expensive to get back to the states which is difficult with aging parents. The water was pretty much like bath water year round. hot and humid in the winter, hotter and even more humid in the summer. And yes mold was an issue.

Oh wow! Guam was an option for us after Bermuda, it was one of the places my husband's work had a station. We were in the baby stage and our parents were mad enough we were a two hour plane ride away. Guam would've made them freak. That's so cool about your mom. I loved our time there!

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2021 at 2:02 PM, feministxtian said:

My taste in coffee, like so many other things are pretty much the cheapo way out. I buy store brand k-cups (Kroger donut shop blend) and if I'm out and about, it's either 7-11 or Circle K. I will confess a weakness for the Caramel Macciato at Starbucks, but that's a once in a blue moon treat. 

I'm a fan of flavored coffees and usually had 3 or 4 bags at home that I switch up. I currently have a creme brulee, a dulce de leche, a blueberry and honey and finally a neapolitan that is so good! I won't pay over $5.99 for a bag though. My best score was Starbucks Holiday for $1.99 like two days after Christmas with clearance and a coupon.  

No cream and just some sweetener. I do love cappuccinos and lattes but they are too rich and too pricey. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 3

My husband is particular about his coffee. He grinds his own beans (whatever dark free trade is on sale), boils water in the kettle, then uses his French press. Same Thermos and mug every day, two teaspoons of honey and about two of creamer. No Maxwell House or Folger's in this house.

He kept an old-fashioned hand grinder at his office with another French press. Now that he's likely working in our front room for the foreseeable, all of his coffee materiel is here at home.

He's pretty easy-going other than our preferences for scrambled eggs. I think years of Army coffee got to him.

• Upvote 2

By the time I'm done doctoring it up, my beverage no longer looks, tastes, or smells very much like coffee, so my official stance is that I don't like coffee. Except Turkish coffee. I love Turkish coffee with a bit of sugar. I even have a special pot and demitasse cups for it. I have been enjoying some iced coffee with the sweet Italian cream style creamer from Kroger and whipped cream on top.

I'm definitely more of a tea person though. Constant Comment is my everyday tea, but I have lots of others to choose from if I'm feeling fancy. I have an entire cupboard dedicated to tea. Now that is summer, I'll be making pitchers of ice tea. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Jinjer 56: Oh My Stars It's a Reality Show Book! How Surprising - Not
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic