IGNORED

Jinger 56: Oh My Stars It's a Reality Show Book! How Surprising - Not

socalrules

So after Jeremy has jumped through all the hoops, and her parents finally approve of him, Jinger basically had to say yes to courting and yes to marriage. Her parents felt he was good enough so basically that has to be good enough for Jinger and so it must be love. There must always be the thought in the daughters’ heads about what if another man won’t jump through the hoops, so take him now. I have no understanding of why Jeremy would put himself through this nonsense for someone he doesn’t know unless he felt she would be the perfect meek, submissive wife and being from a famous family made the ordeal worth it. I assume those two married only knowing the most superficial of information about the other. 

Edited by socalrules
  • Upvote 9
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Idlewild

• SassyPants

• OldFadedStar

• QuiverFullofBooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

His mum does seem very nice and is no doubt talented. I keep thinking of Jeremy as like Lady Catherine in Pride and Prejudice’ had I learned to play piano, I would have been excellent’

OMG, guys, this excerpt from the book on Jeremy's insta is killing me - could he be more pretentious if he tried? 🤣🤣🤣

Memo to Jeremy:  

Posted Images

Expectopatronus

My mind just blows with the fact that JB knows the future husband better than his daughters do, even on their wedding day. I cannot imagine having to have daddy’s approval to even get to know a guy. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
JMO

It makes you wonder about the Jana courting rumors.  Is that guy currently jumping through all of these hoops?  And the hints over the years that there were other guys who came forward to try and get to know them but supposedly the girls shot them down?  I'm starting to think that JB did a lot of the time.  This was the first guy that she had a crush on, who had a crush on her and decided to jump through Daddy's hoops.  I want to know if the Duggar boys had to do anything half as humiliating for their brides.  I have a feeling Katy's dad put Jed through the ringer. 

• Upvote 7
Marionette
1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Nowhere in their discussion of the theological conflict does Jinger have any opinion about it. But she’s not supposed to - she believes what Jim Bob believes until she gets married, and then she believes what Jeremy believes. After they got married she had some time on her hands, so she started studying the Bible and borrowing Jeremy’s theology books. So did she have an insight on the big question of free will vs. predestination? Did she reconsider “spare the rod and spoil the child”? Nope, she decided God is totes cool with women wearing pants. (“I had to walk in truth and follow what I knew the Bible said.”)

You have some good points, thus I call bs on Jinger looking into the pants issue on her own accord. This is pure speculation, but I would not be surprise if Jeremy somewhat bullied or pressured her about how she dressed. He’s obviously been shaping Jinger into his ideal trophy wife, so I imagine him making comments like, “Babe, why don’t you try on some jeans? The Bible doesn’t say anything against it.” Then she went and looked and decided, “Oh yeah, I guess it doesn’t.” She hasn’t reconsidered any other issues because Jeremy has not influenced her in that direction. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
Travelfan

Calvinism requires some really twisted thinking.  I grew up conservative Christian but not Calvinist. I always had doubts about gods actual existence but kept them hidden out of fear of hell. I tried to convince myself I didn’t doubt. Fast forward many years and I’m married to a pastor living as a pastors wife still secretly fighting doubts. My husband starts leaning more Calvinist (not even a word I knew at the time). He follows MacArthur/Piper etc. I naturally follow and just assume this is all correct. As harsh as the doctrine is I could clearly see it right there in Romans. Suddenly I realize why I’ve doubted all these years, I’m not part of the elect.  Panic follows as I realize I’ll never shake these doubts (god has purposefully blinded my eyes to the truth) and I’m going to hell 100%. Eventually I realize that if you follow Calvinism out to it’s conclusion it ends up with god actually being the ultimate bad guy of the Bible. By then I had already decided that whole thing was made up anyway. I’m now happily an atheist, and finally enjoying a life free from the fear of hell!  My husband did eventually step down as pastor. He still believes and attends a different church. I’ll attend on special occasions (I still really like the church dynamic and social structure).  Calvinism is incredibly harsh and I can’t really understand why anyone would want to believe it. Why would you want to believe in such a cold hearted god??  Once I read it in Romans, there was no going back to Arminianism. I could clearly see the Bible followed Calvinism, but for me that harshness lead to atheism.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
justmy2cents
2 hours ago, JMO said:

It makes you wonder about the Jana courting rumors.  Is that guy currently jumping through all of these hoops?  

Unlike Ben and Jeremy, Stephen comes from a well known family. I’m sure he had to answer the questionnaire but probably didn’t have to spend hours and hours debating theology since they’re probably already on the same page. I could see that whole process being very off-putting.

• I Agree 1
Idlewild
1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

Unlike Ben and Jeremy, Stephen comes from a well known family. I’m sure he had to answer the questionnaire but probably didn’t have to spend hours and hours debating theology since they’re probably already on the same page. I could see that whole process being very off-putting.

Plus the Duggar leverage has somewhat diminished to say the least. Ben was a teenaged super fan who was clearly desperate to get Jessa, Jeremy was fame hungry who had failed to become a soccer star and was looking for another route to the life he feels he deserves. Jana’s supposed suitor doesn’t need the fame or money (and the way things are going the the Duggars don’t have that to offer for much longer, only infamy) and the Duggars need a wholesome distraction from their cesspool first born.

• Upvote 2
sableduck

It actually surprises me that they’d outline the level of control JB had. Jeremy, at least, should be aware of how weird and controlling it looks, and that it’s bad for their brand.

I honestly wonder what his parents thought and if it raised red flags for them. As a mother, I don’t want to control my kid’s lives, but if they got involved in something like this I’d be voicing my concerns.

• Upvote 2
Rachel333

I find the Calvinist belief that God actively chooses who goes to Heaven, and thus who goes to Hell absolutely repugnant. (I've seen Calvinists claim that God only chooses people to go to Heaven and everyone else was going to Hell anyway so it wasn't God's choice, but come on, it's the same thing as him choosing who goes to Hell.) Now, if you believe in an all-powerful God and believe in Hell then at some point you have to reckon with the fact that God could prevent people from going to Hell (and if you don't believe in Hell then there's still earthly suffering that presents the same problem), but Calvinism is just so direct about it in a way I find incredibly offputting. They really believe that God chose them to be saved and chose a bunch of other people to suffer in Hell for eternity, whereas I feel like the Arminian outlook is a lot kinder in that they don't think it's God's plan for anyone to go to Hell, but sin happens. (Again, I know this presents logical issues as well, but I still prefer it to Calvinism.)

(Also, I should mention that I'm not a Christian and don't actually believe in either anymore.)

On a shallow level too, I just find the new Reformed crowd unbearably obnoxious. They tend to be so pretentious and really into this image of themselves as cultured intellectuals.

• Upvote 2