IGNORED

Sierra 5: Throwing Pots

Coconut Flan

I really hope so. She turned 30 last year and the Duggars who are getting the most positive attention have abandoned qf. Either might have inspired some soul searching.   

Sierra was indoctrinated into this culty brand of Christianity at a vulnerable time in her life and an impressionable age. Most people who convert into high demand religions do so in their late teens or early twenties. 

• Upvote 6

If this is truly what she has to do when she makes pottery, then there is no way she can homeschool her kids properly during the school year. There just isn’t enough time in the day! I’m waiting for a post about a breakdown after school starts up again in her home. 

1C812631-49DB-4803-83FE-73FBE7AE4698.jpeg

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

Yeah and um, I like Sierra for the most part (appreciate the fact that she isn’t a preachy hypocritical arse like Kristen Young) but also what will happen to this business when she has #8?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Sierra has also been teaching 2 classes a week at the studio (a 2-hour round trip drive). Maybe that will need to be dropped. I assume that has made her a few bucks, although I think she's spent it all on pottery tools & decorating her home office.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Sierra has also been teaching 2 classes a week at the studio (a 2-hour round trip drive). Maybe that will need to be dropped. I assume that has made her a few bucks, although I think she's spent it all on pottery tools & decorating her home office.

It sounds like she’s living a dream life this summer and when the school year comes back she will be snapped back into the reality of her life. Sad. 

• Upvote 7

Yesterday there was a long Instagram post about hauling an unforced bowl and the kids to the studio and her constantly reminding the kids not to touch.  A child did touch and the bowl broke.  And while she was babbling about how she would have reacted in the past, and the. Seeing here she is driving an hour each way, I just have to wonder, why was the bowl in a spot in the car/van where one of the younger kids could have gotten to it?  Or am I just trying to make sense out of Sierra and should stop?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

She is probably pregnant if she is stepping back from teaching. Coupled with the fact she described it as a new season. I don’t want to say it’s unfortunate, but I was hoping this hobby would stick for her and possibly put off having another child. 

• Upvote 7

17 minutes ago, Mabel said:

She is probably pregnant if she is stepping back from teaching. Coupled with the fact she described it as a new season. I don’t want to say it’s unfortunate, but I was hoping this hobby would stick for her and possibly put off having another child. 

Ugh I hope it’s just homeschool season and not pregnancy season. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

18 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Today Sierra said she will no longer be teaching classes. Did she teach a year?

It is possible that this studio offers more classes in the summer than during the school year. Or possibly demand has dried up.  Or she realizes she's making more money making pots at home (and firing them at the studio) than in the hours spent driving to/from the studio and teaching the class. But I  hope that she is doing this to focus on homeschooling.

Let's assume her classes were one hours long, and it took 30 minutes  to set up/clean up, then 2 hours driving time. Who was taking care of the kids during that 3 1/2 time slot.? She's always carrying on about how Mark works very long hours.

• Upvote 6

Sierra posted that she has a big announcement on sept. 1st but said in the comments that she isn’t pregnant nor moving. I’m guessing it has something to do with her business.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

It seems she's doing pottery boxes. Kind of like loot crates. 

I hope she packages the pottery better than those cupcakes in a jar.

Edit: not just pottery but also the boxes will have some of her favorite things from small businesses

Edited by Spock
Adding more info
  • Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 1

Just a bit of a thread drift… is there any mlm people like to buy. I used to love nutrametics in the day and everyone owns some Tupperware so it has to be selling well. I love scentsy but ridiculous price. Loved me some Avon in the day. I used to love when I was a teen the la reve perfume knock offs. 
avon does seem to do some good community work. At least they have good pr to make me think that anyway. 

• Upvote 1

My mother in law has given me some 31 bags that have really held up over the years. The only time I’ve ever bought from an mlm myself was Tastefully Simple and they had a really good beer bread mix. But it was 100% a guilt buy at a friends party when I absolutely didn’t have the money for it. 

Pro tip: getting rid of social media has eliminated the “hey girl” messages!

• Upvote 3

I have never bought a 31 bag but I’ve had like 5 gifted to me. I do use them fairly often. They are pretty good bags. But I would never buy one directly because I refuse to monetarily support MLMs. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I have seen her interacting online with some local small businesses so it's definitely possible she could be doing fancy frosted cookies individually packaged (AR just changed the law about shipping cottage baked goods cooked in a home kitchen) and tea towels or an art print tea from a local tea shop etc. Hopefully she has enough business sense not to include samples from Beauty Counter or Young Living or something 😐

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Just a bit of a thread drift… is there any mlm people like to buy. I used to love nutrametics in the day and everyone owns some Tupperware so it has to be selling well. I love scentsy but ridiculous price. Loved me some Avon in the day. I used to love when I was a teen the la reve perfume knock offs. 
avon does seem to do some good community work. At least they have good pr to make me think that anyway. 

MLMs do not treat the people involved with them fairly and for that reason, I don't think I would buy from them. I have never had to, and I'm trying to keep it that way. 

Most of the salespeople aka "huns" start selling the product, because they enjoy the product and believe in what they are doing. However any product that comes from an MLM can be bought elsewhere and you don't have to support a cult and an abusive system to buy it.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I know Tupperware still exists because I have seen a booth at a craft fair type situation once but are there still Tupperware parties? I remember them when I was a kid but I've never been 'hunned' or invited to a party as an adult. I have a handful of vintage pieces that I love and actually use a lot so they definitely used to be worth the high cost but I imagine people aren't inclined to spend that money when Rubbermaid makes such cheap almost disposable versions now 

• Upvote 5

Yeah the only way to facilitate the pyramid of commissions is to highly inflate the price. There are always better alternatives to legitimate products which are less expensive. There is also the whole category of mlm that is offering miracle cures to health concerns. Those illegitimate products in my opinion are the fancy icing on the pyramid scheme to claim it’s about the product. 

Im worried about this escalation of work for Sierra. Surely it would be possible for her to sell things locally at fairs and such. Coordinating crafters and shipping and soliciting subscribers and even setting aside the physical space for storage and assembly… it just feels like a lot. Right as school is starting back. 

• Upvote 6

I buy mlm products if I like them. The most recent was some Tupperware bowl replacements for mine that are probably as old as when I got married, which was 93. One of my friends sold Lia Sophia and was able to support her family on it. And I always order beer bread from tastefully simple every fall for the holidays. 

• Upvote 1