IGNORED

Sierra 5: Throwing Pots

Coconut Flan

54 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I certainly hope she doesn't add any more kids either, because she's got the 7 kids crammed into 2 bedrooms so she can have an office, according to an Insta post yesterday. I admire her hustle, but what is just crowded now maybe become unbearable as the kids get bigger and a few more are added to the brood. As for the "4 businesses" she's alluded to several times--I'd guess that 2 are the pottery sales and the pottery classes. Unsure what the other two are, since she's tried and stepped away from some many side hustles-- wedding/event planner; purveyor of chocolates and (far from shatterproof) desserts in a jar; Lipsense MLM distributor; Luluroe MLM distributor. Perhaps one of her businesses is simply social media Influencer (which may be more lucrative that all the others). Oh, and Michelle Duggar would faint at such as showing of thigh.image.thumb.png.43b4ce4b2c37c534f2034491e0240973.png

I think from reading the rest of the caption that her four businesses are pottery, keychains, stickers/window decals, and maybe the fourth one is social media? I looked at her website and she sells all of those things through there, which I would personally consider just one business, but maybe she includes all of those as separate ventures since they are different mediums. Also, didn’t she give up her master bedroom to her boys since there are five of them? I think the two girls share the other room together. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

@JanasTattooParlor I agree that her website (pottery, branded stickers and other crap) is one business. And if she's actually making money from social media then that counts as another business. Looks like she's shilling Dime Beauty (mlm or influencer brand - not sure?) on her most recent story highlights. 

Teaching pottery classes is a job, assuming the studio is paying/employing her and she's not renting the space for her classes. 

I would love to see her kids enrolled in school and Sierra actually having time to focus on building her business. I also really hope they are done having kids. 

• Upvote 15

16 hours ago, Lurker said:

She sells stickers and keychains as well as her pottery.  I guess that is counted as another business.  She does the random sponsored post, would you count paid influencer as a separate business?

If selling stickers and keychains are separate businesses, I guess the Bates Sisters have a giant conglomerate of companies selling sweaters, skirts, dresses... : )

But Sierra and Mark's finances are also a complete mystery to me. I can understand getting some freebies here and there as an Influencer--but I doubt that anyone is handing them free scooters, pottery wheels or gardening supplies.  And yeah, who is taking care of, and homeschooling these kids????

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 4

I was about to post how impressed I was with Sierra’s pottery based on the pitcher and mug in that insta pic it, then I looked at her website... she definitely has potential, but she’s not ready for prime time. A lot of the pieces look too think/heavy, and some of the glaze decorations are weird. Some look like the pieces everyone makes when they first learn to throw pots, and definitely shouldn’t be for sale anywhere. Some look nice, but all are overpriced given the quality of the work. In fact, now that I’ve looked at her website, I’m not convinced she actually made the pieces in her insta post.

• Upvote 8

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, indianabones said:

I wonder how long Sierra's pottery phase is going to last?

That’s what I was thinking. She’s always looking for something to make her happy. I say go to therapy instead of seeking happiness through hobbies, religion, and pregnancies. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 7

IMO, Pottery and keychains are better for  her mental health than more religion or another baby or dog.   But, yeah, she seems to have bursts of enthusiasm for home reno, kitchen demo, redecorating, etc. but I don’t know if anything gets really finished.

Edited by Lurker
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 13

6 minutes ago, viii said:

Nothing says ice cream bowl like a big ol' nipple! 

It must be ice cream made from breast milk. 

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It must be ice cream made from breast milk. 

Well, naturally! 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I say go to therapy instead of seeking happiness through hobbies, religion, and pregnancies. 

In all fairness, pottery can be pretty therapeutic. But I sincerely hope she's done with having kids (not very hopeful, though). And I can't fathom how she has the energy for all her projects. I have two kids, no job right now, and a pottery workshop every two weeks is about all I can manage.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Nothing if not critical said:

In all fairness, pottery can be pretty therapeutic. But I sincerely hope she's done with having kids (not very hopeful, though). And I can't fathom how she has the energy for all her projects. I have two kids, no job right now, and a pottery workshop every two weeks is about all I can manage.

If she was working with an art therapist, I would say good for her. But I think it’s probably just a pottery class. On one hand I have a lot of empathy for her but I’m also frustrated that she keeps having kids although she’s obviously overwhelmed by them.

• Upvote 8

I wonder if she'll keep at this newest thing longer since she seems to actually be making some money off of it - their finances are a mystery to me, but it has to be really helpful to have these "pottery drops" sell out almost immediately, plus I think she's teaching some classes? This has to be bringing in more cash than the glass-infused cupcakes, the MLMs, etc.

• Upvote 8

I give it until (home) school starts again and she gets overwhelmed with all of this and schooling kids etc.

• Upvote 11

6 hours ago, clueliss said:

I give it until (home) school starts again and she gets overwhelmed with all of this and schooling kids etc.

I always kind of figured she would enroll them in school once they are older. Because she always seems so overwhelmed with homeschooling them. I feel like she we will eventually reach her breaking point and enroll them. Maybe that will be when she has 7 kids in 7 different grades.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 7/12/2021 at 1:44 PM, HideousGreenShirt said:

Apparently the keyboard for her home office that Mark insisted was absolutely essential, sells for $170-200.

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20210712_213238.thumb.jpg.d18bf6d45e14bc9962464c6786347be7.jpg

She bought a wheel, she decorated and furnished her home office, Mark bought her the "entire rainbow" of glazes and a whole host of pottery items... 

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20210712_214211.thumb.jpg.e33aab6e542535c8de8fcde36f5bacb5.jpg

How do they afford all this? 

And how/why is she still homeschooling? 

Fine, have your 4 "businesses" but no way can she be efficiently schooling her 7 kids and keeping up with everything else. She has repeatedly said that Mark is constantly working and yet he magically appears at their lake vacations and breaks with her family. 

Their finances and insistence to homeschool are a permanent mystery to me. And while I hope she and her family are happy, I find it difficult to like her. 

I was just catching up on her instagram and noticed the $200 keyboard. I mean, I have a ~$250 keyboard but I'm also a software engineer in San Fransisco with 0 children so...

But anyway I'm gonna brag about my keyboard because I love it and mechanical keyboards are cool.

191407331_ImagefromiOS(9).thumb.jpg.7220879886b61324d11c993133ed35f2.jpg

And I gif I made of me putting it together

Spoiler

1063972895_ImagefromiOS(1).gif.7428ecb4b2340df621ad8137ce773748.gif

I plan on making a separate numpad with my friend who knows how to solder. We have the PCB, keycaps, and switches, I just need to find a case. 

Edited by TuringMachine
  • Upvote 19
  • Love 10

Sierra went to a funeral for her great-grandfather. Her grandfather and his siblings are still alive.  I barely knew my grandparents. Sierra's kids had their great-great grandparents. It's kind of wild to me.

• Upvote 12

13 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Sierra went to a funeral for her great-grandfather. Her grandfather and his siblings are still alive.  I barely knew my grandparents. Sierra's kids had their great-great grandparents. It's kind of wild to me.

That is wild to me also. I have a few friends that still have grandparents & we are 40 plus years old. I haven’t had any grandparents since I was 12. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

37 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

My great-great grandmother passed away when I was 2. I have a few fleeting memories of her, including her funeral. I had my grandma till I was 48 (my sister was 50.) wish we had a 5 generation picture.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

Unfortunately, I never knew any of my grandparents. They all died before I was born so still having a great grandparent as an adult is very unusual to me. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

There was an episode of Unexpected where they did a "five generations" photo. Everyone in it except for the babies had been a TV parent. Pretty mind-blowing TV for someone who's grandparents had all passed away before they became an adult.

• Upvote 1

I still have my moms parents, thankfully. I also had a great grandma and a great grandpa as a teen. 

• Upvote 1

My eldest son was born while all four of my grandparents were alive. My paternal grandfather died when he was 2, and my maternal grandfather died when he was 4, only a few months after my mom, so he doesn't have much memory of them. Both boys know my grandmothers, though. 

I doubt, though, that my grandchildren (god willing I have any) will know their great-grandparents. My mom is already gone and my dad is almost 70, and not in the best health. My ILs aren't doing well lately, either. 

Now, my maternal grandmother, though, has 25 great-grandchildren, ranging in age from 20 to 10 months, and her first great-great-grandchild was born last year. She's 86, and might just live long enough for the gggrand to remember. We'll see, though. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/27/2021 at 2:33 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I always kind of figured she would enroll them in school once they are older. Because she always seems so overwhelmed with homeschooling them. I feel like she we will eventually reach her breaking point and enroll them. Maybe that will be when she has 7 kids in 7 different grades.

Her two eldest were enrolled at a private Christian school originally, before they pulled them out. I got the feeling that it was money related. I doubt they would send their kids to school again unless that's changed.

Edited by indianabones