IGNORED

Nathan & Esther 5: No Room for the Holy Spirit Between Nathan and the Wedding Square

nelliebelle1197

8 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

As much as I loathe Nathan I actually think he looks nice in the suit. It's the most formal thing I've ever seen him wear. I don't think it matters that he's not thin--nothing wrong with people showing off their chunkier figures in the clothes they like. 

I guess it makes me a little salty because there’s no way in hell that any of those Bates boys would consider a woman with a few extra curves. So I cut him precisely the same amount of slack.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 10

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think most of those IG proposals are not a surprise. The couple had already agreed to marry and then they set the "oh surprise" party.

I feel like this is true of a lot of proposals, social media or not. I know in the case of my husband and I, we had had the wedding talk and agreed we wanted to get married and were both on the same page and I knew a proposal was coming and even had a time frame, but not exactly when or how. I feel like a proposal being a total surprise is a bad idea and leads to potential awkwardness. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8

12 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I'll never ever understand why fundies think they are just the most precious snowflakes. Over the top everything. Elaborate courtships. Elaborate engagements. Elaborate baby announcements and gender reveals. Reminds me of that line in Steel Magnolias- ""How precious is this wedding going to get, I ask you?" Ugh. ? 

I think that this is just another way to lure people into the cult and present themselves as wholesome and perfect. To me it’s like:”Hey, you too could get a man who loves you, who will propose to you in a super special way, with a happy, ever smiling family who will welcome you and help you out!” And with all the emphasis on courtship and marriage and babies, elaborate, instagram worthy proposals contribute to their image. And maybe it’s also because in such mega families those are their only moments to shine....

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 5

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh that’s definitely a thing now with the Bates proposals. It’s so over the top to me. But the Bates family is over the top. 

Everyone keeps saying this as though these Bates proposals have only just gotten elaborate but that's not true - going all the way back to the first ones, Chad did a whole horse and carriage ride and Zach did the first destination proposal on the beach in Florida, and then of course Brandon did the scavenger hunt in DC. They always seem to do the personal dinner too with family decorating a table for them.

I think the difference now is it's obvious how much wealthier the family has gotten since those proposals. Fireworks are not cheap. 

• Upvote 18

I think this also goes along with a baby shower/gender reveal for each pregnancy.  Did Christina Caldwell really need a full out baby shower (in a pandemic no less) for baby #9???  No.  But these are the only days that an individual is allowed to feel special.  In their world every child is a blessing to be celebrated until they are born and they need to be trained.  And you only get one chance to meet your forever soulmate that G#d has handpicked for you.  The rest of the time it's putting others first and slaving away taking care of your eleventy children.  

• Upvote 12

Did Nathan give away pieces of his heart to his last special girl? Yes or no? How many “ones” does each person get?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 7

20 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Did Nathan give away pieces of his heart to his last special girl? Yes or no? How many “ones” does each person get?

The whole point of courting is to not give away pieces of your heart. If you don’t marry that person then they weren’t the one. We all know their system is flawed. When you talk to someone with the intent to marry them, even without sex, you give away pieces of your heart. Pieces of someone’s heart are given away with emotional connections. So yes Nathen did give away a lot of pieces of his heart. He loved Ashley, or the idea of being married. She is very pretty and despite wearing pants shares a lot of his beliefs. I’m sure he was crushed when she ended things. 

• Upvote 18
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 2

I tend to think they lose way more heart pieces from courtship than run of the mill dating. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 18

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I tend to think they lose way more heart pieces from courtship than run of the mill dating. 

Yes they do. Casual or group dating would help them to not give away as many pieces. 

• Upvote 11

I had a boyfriend when I was 15 who broke up with me after 30 days for not having sex with him. I was upset for a few hours and moved on with my life ??‍♀️ 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 3

Ok, I watched the video he posted on Instagram and two thoughts. One, his face is basically in her boobs at one point when they are hugging while he is still on one knee.  Two, it really looks like the camera footage deliberately pulls back at one point and they could be kissing, though I am sure they are just dancing really close (with her hands on his face).

No way are they waiting a full year for a wedding. No way. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7

Since the thread title says something about a "wedding square",  Nathan bought a square diamond.

Hi Nathan!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

Nathan’s first name is Kenneth, so the portmanteau could be Keesther (pronounced key-ster). No one would have any idea who it was referring to, but it would make me chuckle. 

IMO he looks like a Ken more than a Nathan. But Lawson def fits better than William. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 4

My first thought when seeing the elaborate proposal, and fireworks was: ''Wow, I feel poor''.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 5

51 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

Nathan’s first name is Kenneth, so the portmanteau could be Keesther (pronounced key-ster). No one would have any idea who it was referring to, but it would make me chuckle. 

IMO he looks like a Ken more than a Nathan. But Lawson def fits better than William. 

Keyster fits. Their smug attitudes make the Bates boys total keysters. 

• Upvote 9

I thought for sure they were kissing. The video is full of sexual tension (ick!!!! bedroom eyes, basically motor boating, face caressing) and sneaky angles. Now knowing that some Bates did kiss (a lot) before marriage, I'm sure they did for this occasion. 

As for the couple, I wonder how they will fit in with the other married Bates' aesthetic. Nate is not a rugged or boy band looker like the men and Esther is not polished and filtered like the women. I wonder if they will create their own look or quickly fall into Lightroom line. Honestly to me they look more like a white trash (Sorry, I know people on here get offended at this term) couple. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

IMO “Nesther” is probably our best bet at remembering who the heck they are.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 9

I wonder where they will live. I’m sure Nate has money saved up from living at home and working, even though it’s not a lot. I wonder if they will rent then buy later on. 

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

I thought for sure they were kissing. The video is full of sexual tension (ick!!!! bedroom eyes, basically motor boating, face caressing) and sneaky angles. Now knowing that some Bates did kiss (a lot) before marriage, I'm sure they did for this occasion.

I've just gone to watch the video you are talking about and 100% they are kissing! Second to last shot she starts to lean in, and in the very last shot they're definitely swapping saliva. Good for them.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I hope the no kissing before marriage rule dies. It’s dying fast in the Bates family. Let’s hope that helps kill it for other fundies. It’s one of the stupidest fundie rules. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1

Meanwhile Katie’s not even holding hands with Travis. I wouldn’t be surprised by them kissing, just by them doing it in front of Kelly.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

28 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Meanwhile Katie’s not even holding hands with Travis. I wouldn’t be surprised by them kissing, just by them doing it in front of Kelly.

He’s a male. So Kelly can’t say shit and she knows it. It must be hard to raise boys into adulthood when you are the one who taught them they are better than you. Gil could say something. But I doubt he cares much at this point.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

There's a picture of her kissing his cheek on IG (you have to scroll through their costume pics to see it). Good for them.

• Upvote 5

Honestly I'm more concerned that they never get to talk alone or talk about anything but the bible than I am that they don't get to kiss. How on earth are these teenagers supposed to find "the one" without private, emotional, in-depth conversations? 

• Upvote 9
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic