IGNORED

Nathan & Esther 5: No Room for the Holy Spirit Between Nathan and the Wedding Square

nelliebelle1197

15 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I've been to one wedding like this. It blew my mind. WTF are you supposed to do in the middle? It took me over an hour to drive to the church. There's no way I'm driving home and back again. Most weddings I go to are night time formal weddings. I never understood my friends wedding tbh. Like how do you function on a wedding day? I'm actually curious. Like what happens in the middle? It seems like a whole big waste of a day.

I should say most of our weddings are Jewish weddings. Saturdays after shabbos or sunday nights. We don't do day weddings ever.

It depends, as I said a lot of weddings are held in one location and those locations usually have activities for the guests. Or, in my husband's social circle, everyone lives in the city and it is common for people to go home and change between the ceremony and reception as receptions are often far more formal. For my wedding, the guests were all from me out of town and most went back to their hotels and we also had our home set up for family to drop in (with my mother as hostess). 

But yes, weddings are full day affairs. If it is an out of town wedding, it dominates the whole weekend. But most ceremonies are early afternoon and the reception will go to about 1 a.m.

• Upvote 2

The fact that weddings dominate a whole day is why my husband was so salty the year we got invited to 12 weddings. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 15

I'm a bridesmaid in an upcoming wedding where the ceremony start time is around 5 or 6pm. I have to report to hair and make up at 7:45am. Insanity.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 20
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

55 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I'm a bridesmaid in an upcoming wedding where the ceremony start time is around 5 or 6pm. I have to report to hair and make up at 7:45am. Insanity.

Yikes!! Good luck!

(I've never been asked to be a bridesmaid, probably because I'm not super organized and my closest friends are living in sin or single. Sometimes this bums me out but mostly I'm grateful to avoid these situations!)

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

Most weddings that I have been to are at 2:30 ish. Mass until 4:00 and then reception at 5:30 or 6:00. I had one friend who got married at 5:00, had an extra long Mass (2 hours) and then reception immediately following the ceremony. I think the reception was about a 15 minute drive. They took pictures before Mass. I have one cousin who lives in the south and her reception ended at 8:00 which was different for me. They also had a light buffet rather than a sit down meal. I’m used to a meal and then dancing until 1:00. Usually around 11:00 sandwiches or kielbasa, crackers and cheese come out. 

• Upvote 6

I’m so glad most of my friends and cousins have gotten married. I hope I’m never in another wedding. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

I was in one this summer.  The bride was... not the most fun to deal with, but I was impressed that she collected all 200 guests vaccine cards and made the wedding party all  do rapid tests before the rehearsal and the wedding day. (This was before delta really took off.)

• Upvote 16

I'm in 3 just this month/next month alone! I THINK this should be the end of that, Rufus Bless.

• Rufus Bless 7

On 8/11/2021 at 7:40 AM, PurpleCats said:

I was in one this summer.  The bride was... not the most fun to deal with, but I was impressed that she collected all 200 guests vaccine cards and made the wedding party all  do rapid tests before the rehearsal and the wedding day. (This was before delta really took off.)

That is impressive, was it a child-free wedding? I would nervous someone would test positive while vaccinated and spread it to little kids. I'm annoyed that people I know had a big event where people allegedly vaccinated (no idea about vaccine cards) and there were many young children running around (under 12). 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

That is impressive, was it a child-free wedding? I would nervous someone would test positive while vaccinated and spread it to little kids. I'm annoyed that people I know had a big event where people allegedly vaccinated (no idea about vaccine cards) and there were many young children running around (under 12). 

I am still mad as _____ that my mother's family had an event sans masks. About 70% were not vaccinated and two (or more) of them insisted on hugging my mother who is a recent cancer survivor and my father who has leukemia. 

• Sad 4
  • WTF 8
  • Love 4

@Bluebirdbluebell her niece and nephew were in the ceremony but left after.  Pre Covid she had planned it child free, thankfully.  I wouldn’t have wanted tj attend with lots of unvaccinated kids running around.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

One of my favorite parts of FJ is hearing the different wedding customs and what people find normal or not. Especially now that people seem more accepting of different regions/groups having different experiences.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

One of my favorite parts of FJ is hearing the different wedding customs and what people find normal or not. Especially now that people seem more accepting of different regions/groups having different experiences.

Sometimes I just forget that wedding traditionals differ. Like most of the weddings I've been to were at later in the day, but I don't mind earlier in the day weddings. 

I will say I try to be sympathetic to different wedding traditions. My big problem with most of the wedding tradditions I don't like is there's an underlying misogyny to them. Sometimes it's more obvious and some it's more hidden, but I wish weddings would be less sexist.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Sometimes I just forget that wedding traditionals differ. Like most of the weddings I've been to were at later in the day, but I don't mind earlier in the day weddings. 

I will say I try to be sympathetic to different wedding traditions. My big problem with most of the wedding tradditions I don't like is there's an underlying misogyny to them. Sometimes it's more obvious and some it's more hidden, but I wish weddings would be less sexist.

That’s interesting. I’m thinking more of the times of day, amount/type of food, venue, level of formality, specific activities - money dance, dancing, alcohol, bouquet throwing etc. What are the wedding traditions that you find particularly sexist? The one that comes to mind for me is the father walking the bride down the aisle and “giving” her away. I admit I had my dad walk me down the aisle at my second wedding - despite having teens/young adult kids, living with my partner for a good 10 years, etc —- I really wanted to walk alone, but the combination of my super poofy dress, train and super high heels made me rethink that. I was just scared of tripping and face planting, but my Dad was super touched and honored 😅

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I really wish I knew of a way to find out Nathan's salary for being Medic Corps Director of Operations: https://mediccorps.org/who-we-are-2/

He doesn’t get paid at all; no one does. It’s on their 2019 Form 990, easily found online (under Medical Evacuation Disaster Intervention Corps). In 2019 they raised almost $24,000 and spent about $10,000.

aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20210817T020626Z

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

Is this scam charity set up like IBLP in which the leaders don’t officially get paid anything or at least very little, but they use company money to pay for flights, food and other perks?

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Is this scam charity set up like IBLP in which the leaders don’t officially get paid anything or at least very little, but they use company money to pay for flights, food and other perks?

Yeah, but that’s true of a lot of nonprofits. No individual can be benefiting all that much, if the organization is spending less than 10K a year and at least some of that is legit.

• Upvote 4

If I had gotten married young when I was still in college I would probably have liked to host an afterparty with my friends.  But then again we weren't athletes so I think it would just have been day drinking and drinking games, not volleyball.  😆

• Upvote 6

Late afternoon to evening weddings are the norm in my social circle, but so are relatively large weddings (100+).  But we had only 10 guests, which made me feel like I was planning a fundamentally different kind of event. That really freed me to just do whatever I wanted. 

I got married at 10am on a Sunday. Practically heretical, I guess. We all went to a 3hr boozy brunch afterwards in a lovely restaurant garden, and we kind of paraded there since it was only a 10 min walk away. Then we all had a few hours to rest (we provided the hotel rooms, so we were all staying within a few blocks of each other and the venues) followed by an outdoor catered buffet dinner around 7.  We had planned to go out dancing afterwards but it turned out we were all too tired from eating and drinking all day. 😅   We took everyone out to dinner the night before too, and had a homemade breakfast buffet (provided by my mother) the morning after the wedding. I think we just like to eat lol. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 10

21 hours ago, JMO said:

If I had gotten married young when I was still in college I would probably have liked to host an afterparty with my friends.  But then again we weren't athletes so I think it would just have been day drinking and drinking games, not volleyball.  😆

You know what’s funny? In my early 20s, I would have been way more likely to have a fancy wedding because at that time, I felt I had to prove how grown up I was. Now that I’m close to 40, I don’t give a fuck and would probably let people go play corn hole, volleyball, or whatever if that’s what they wanted to do at my wedding reception. If that’s how they had fun, I’d be fine with it. I care so much less about the approval of others now that I’m older. It’s a nice feeling. If I could talk to my early 20s self, I would tell her to give way less of a fuck what others think. Because the people who love you will accept you no matter what. And everyone else can fuck off 😉

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

So where exactly are they going to take critical patients? Do they have emergency equipment in their airplane to keep individuals stable? Other than Abbie, do any of them have a hot clue what to do if someone codes midair? Grrrr. I’m beyond frustrated with these cosplaying morons. How dare they risk lives ?! 

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, Expectopatronus said:

So where exactly are they going to take critical patients? Do they have emergency equipment in their airplane to keep individuals stable? Other than Abbie, do any of them have a hot clue what to do if someone codes midair? Grrrr. I’m beyond frustrated with these cosplaying morons. How dare they risk lives ?! 

I haven’t seen Abbie in any of their photos. Do you think she’s with them in Haiti?

• Upvote 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic