IGNORED

The Exvangelical Movement

Howl

He's still out in El Cajon running off at the mouth.  His church is across the street from a friend of mine.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jasmar said:

Huh. I thought David Jeremiah died a few years ago. I used to love him back in the day ?

I thought he was dead too. I used to listen to his radio program. 

The beginning of the end of the world has been a long time coming. Good to know some Twitter posts sped things up. 

• Upvote 5

Tim La Haye of the Left Behind Series died a few years ago. I hadn't realized how old he was until he died a few years ago. When I goggled David Jeremiah on Wikipedia they mentioned his predecessor at Shadow Mountain Community church was nothing other than ....Tim La Haye. Six degrees of fundies. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

I remember being astounded when I found out Tim La Haye was the pastor out there.  I was almost tempted to go hear a sermon.  

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I can't decide if I should roll my eyes or laugh maniacally. It seems like every generation can point to anything as proof of the end times. 

Yeah which end times is this one, the twentieth or twenty-first or...? I've lost track.

• I Agree 4

And when the end invariably doesn’t come, they’re like “Oops, I forgot to carry the one.”

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Jasmar said:

Huh. I thought David Jeremiah died a few years ago. I used to love him back in the day ?

A tweeter pointed out that there must be some massive air brushing of that photo, considering Jeremiah's advanced age. 

• Upvote 5

On 6/26/2021 at 10:22 PM, danvillebelle said:

OFM = orange Florida man.  I refuse to even type his name any more.  Pretty sure the neighbor's black flag is the Civil War/we will not surrender meaning.  All any of our neighbors get from me is a wave, if that.

The black flag could also possibly connote that they identify as being anarcho-capitalist ( Wikipedia article explaining the meaning of the term ) .  From what I have read , in articles which I will post below , if any are interested in reading , there has arguably been a libertarian alt-right pipeline .  https://www.salon.com/2017/08/24/now-the-libertarians-have-known-sin-reckoning-with-the-rise-of-the-alt-right/  ,  https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-insidious-libertarian-to-alt-right-pipeline  

Edited by Marmion
Accidental triple post
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 2

8 minutes ago, Marmion said:

The black flag could also possibly connote that they identify as being anarcho-capitalist ( Wikipedia article explaining the meaning of the term ) .  From what I have read , in articles which I will post below , if any are interested in reading , there has arguably been a libertarian alt-right pipeline .  https://www.salon.com/2017/08/24/now-the-libertarians-have-known-sin-reckoning-with-the-rise-of-the-alt-right/  ,  https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-insidious-libertarian-to-alt-right-pipeline  

Thank you.  I seriously don't get out much anymore, other than my rabbit tracks of usual places. The other day I was behind a minivan that had a "Q" sticker in USA flag colors/tropes.  Wasn't sure of the meaning.  Pretty sure of it now.

What would I be without my FJ sisters "on the outside" to keep me informed of what's there? This place is a flippin' duckduckgo / google, and I mean that in the best possible ways.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

I really enjoy exvangelical twitter; there's a lot of reflection on cultural context of evangelicalism and fundamentalism, now and in the past.

Unroll of this Twitter thread for non-Twitterati

Evangelicalism has always, always been in the service of white supremacy, colonialism, capitalism, & misogyny. Through its earlier forms of puritanism, it has long been a tool of subjugation & slavery, insisting on prescriptive (i.e. "godly") social structures & institutions. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 9

If I was going to draw from current events for an end times prediction, I’d be citing… oh, I dunno, the global pandemic that’s killed 4 million people in 18 months, or the worsening climate crisis and associated fires, floods and famines. Maybe even the growing support for fascism in western countries, abhorrent treatment of refugees, ever-widening chasm between rich and poor in capitalist societies, or addictions to smartphones and social media spurred on by paying advertisers. Plenty of fodder to draw from without resorting to the spurious notion that some people leaving one narrow and abusive branch of Christianity is of historical and worldwide significance. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1

Putting this here because it's written by an exvangelical in response to Jennifer Rubin's recent op-ed in the Washington Post. 

For white evangelical Protestants, the degradation of democracy is not regrettable. It's desirable  The point is rule by God's chosen.

Jennifer Rubin argued Monday that white evangelical Protestants are “panicking,” as their numbers shrink and they lose purchase on democratic politics. 

author's critique of Rubin's op-ed (WEP = White Evangelical Protestant)

Rubin has been right more often than not since 2016. In this, however, she’s dead wrong. She continues giving WEPs a kind of benefit of the doubt that so-called “exvangelicals” would never give, because they know better. WEPs are not panicking. They are not embracing anti-democracy out of fear of losing their place in the republic. WEPs are anti-democratic because that’s what it means to be a white evangelical Protestant. Young adherents are leaving not because the faith has become politicized but because they have realized how deeply political the faith already was.

What exvangelicals know that normal people like Jennifer Rubin cannot know, because they did not emerge from that religious tradition (I think she’s Jewish), is that WEPs believe they are God’s chosen (or will be). They tend to believe the United States was given to “real Americans” by God to be ruled in His name. Those who are not God’s chosen are pretty much disposable. (After all, He knows who the righteous are.)

The WEP identity is furthermore based not so much of what they are but on what they are not. We are not them. They are enmeshed in the world. We live here temporarily until The End. They represent a multiracial republic. We believe Christ is our King. The degradation is democracy isn’t regrettable. It’s desirable. Theocracy is the goal.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

If certain denominations started training children to recognize abuse, those children would realize that the theology of “you better accept  this gift of salvation or you will get tortured for eternity” is abusive. 

• Upvote 19
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did find the Josh Harris threads, but realize this is perfect for the exvangelical thread. 

Who better to help you deconstruct from harmful teachings that he once propagated and you can pay him to do it! Harris is, of course, savaged in the comments.  One person pointed out that this is just "pay to become an apostate." 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 9
  • WTF 7
  • Haha 2

I'm not exvangelical, I'm ex-orthodox.  But I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and needed somewhere to say this, and figured this would be the best place.

I have been thinking about and trying to pinpoint what was the beginning of the end for me.  And I realized that it was actually several years before I left (which was 2018).

It was being assigned a priest who lived in a 300K house and took 4 vacations a year, and the *small*, struggling mission parish that we were, being expected by the diocese to pay him 60K a year.  The icing on the shit cake was that his pastoral care was literally non-existent.  I was like....what the cinnamon toast fuck is this, and how does it resemble trying to follow Jesus in any way at all?  My family with 4 homeschooled kids and one low to moderate income is supposed to tithe...so this asshole can go on week-long vacations and keep his kids in private school?  His wife and kids were snobby and entitled and I could never stand any of them.  They made it abundantly clear that their feelings were they'd landed in hickville (YOU TOOK THE ASSIGNMENT, ASSHOLE) and were just making the best of it until they could go elsewhere.  Which they did, in the fall of '18, shortly after I left for good.

I hear the replacement priest is much better and seriously chill, and I wish them peace, but I wash my hands of it.  I'll never be a part of any hierarchical/patriarchal entity again.

I also take a small bit of comfort in that the assignment he took is in a coastal area that will be underwater by 2100. 😁

• Upvote 3
  • Love 16

22 minutes ago, Howl said:

Who better to help you deconstruct from harmful teachings that he once propagated and you can pay him to do it! Harris is, of course, savaged in the comments.  One person pointed out that this is just "pay to become an apostate." 

Scammers gonna scam.  He is his father's son.

Edited by danvillebelle
  • I Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

Totally aside, but the "Reformed Phil Coulson" username made me laugh.

Oooh, could you "deconstruct" this for me?

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Howl said:

I did find the Josh Harris threads, but realize this is perfect for the exvangelical thread. 

Damn that takes a lot of nerve! He wants to make money saving people from the very thing he sold them. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1