IGNORED

The Exvangelical Movement

Howl

Exvangelicals are people who have left Evangelicalism in the rear view mirror.  Many are children of famous fundy families. 

Abraham Piper, John Piper's son, is exvangelical and now has a huge following on TikTok. 

A Pastor’s Son Becomes a Critic of Religion on TikTok John Piper is one of the most influential theologians in America. His son Abraham calls evangelicalism “a destructive, narrow-minded worldview.”

Abraham Piper became a sensation on TikTok nearly overnight. He posted his first video in November, and he now has more than 900,000 followers, many of them young people who thank him for capturing their experiences so precisely. His unlikely path to online stardom: irreverent critiques of evangelical Christianity aimed at others who have left the faith...

...Melissa Stewart, another popular “exvangelical” personality on TikTok, grew up in an Independent Fundamental Baptist church in Minnesota. When she married at 18, her pastor used John Piper’s work in premarital counseling sessions...Ms. Stewart is now divorced and in law school. On TikTok, where she has about 179,000 followers, she posts about feminism, sexuality and atheism. “To see someone who didn’t just come from that world but came from that family, who has clearly done the work to get out, and is so introspective and gentle and grounded” gives a lot of people hope, she said in an interview. 

...[Abraham] Piper is one of a number of children of prominent conservative Christians who have publicly rejected elements of their parents’ teaching. Jay Bakker, the son of the televangelists Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, is an advocate for L.G.B.T.Q. acceptance in the church. The five children of the combative evangelist Rick Joyner recently told the Times columnist Nicholas Kristof that they vote Democratic...

...In his videos, Abraham Piper repeatedly insists he is not trying to convince anyone of anything. “Do you know how boring and soul-sucking it is to base your whole life on making sure other people change to become more like you?” he asked his followers in February. It’s not that nothing matters, he added. “But you get to pick what. You decide what matters. Lighten up, get laid, go bowling.”

Some exvangelicals to follow: 

Chrissy Stroop

• Twitter
  • cstroop.com
  • Empty the Pews: Stories of Leaving the Church Chrissy Stroop and Lauren O'Neal put together a collection of  "Twenty-one timely, affecting essays by those who survived hardline, authoritarian religious ideology and uprooted themselves from the reality-averse churches that ultimately failed to contain their spirits." 

Blake Chastain: 

Daniel Ortberg: Twitter.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 27
  • Love 1

OOOH - thank you!!!  (I feel like maybe I fit in that category)

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 8

I am a devout exvangelical, thanks in part to Free Jinger (although there were a LOT of other influences and reasons for my shift). It makes me so happy to hear from others who left that supremely toxic subculture, and who are calling it out publicly.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 11

I would add to your recommendations The Life After podcast and secret group on facebook. It's a very supportive deconversion/questioning community!

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 10

Former Desiring God Writer Paul Maxwell Renounces His Christian Faith

Is it something in the air?  Is it contagious? 

Paul Maxwell wrote "The Trauma of Doctrine: New Calvinism, Religious Abuse, and the Experience of God" so with a title like that this announcement isn't much of a surprise: 

“...I love all the support and friendships I’ve built here [Instagram]…I think it’s important to say that I’m just not a Christian anymore, and it feels really good. I’m really happy…I’m really happy.”

and 

I’m in a really good spot. Probably the best spot of my life. I’m so full of joy for the first time. I love my life for the first time…and I love myself for the first time.”

Apparently,  Paul Maxwell being happy about this makes many male Calvinists very unhappy, and there will be a lot of snippy remarks and huffing about this including The Very Dr. Reverend DUI, who hopes that Paul Maxwell, among others, wander miserably in the dark night until they re-find Jesus.   

I don't think Paul Maxwell could GAF, he's in too good a mood. 

Edited by Howl
  • Thank You 10

This is a trend on TikTok. Exvangelical and Ex-Mormon accounts getting hundreds of comments from fellow ex-es. Lots of deconstruction of beliefs as they call it. Mostly millennial and Gen Z people, but a few older as well. It's pretty heartwarming to see their testimonies or how they broke free. It's like the entire fever dream of Free Jinjer and it is pretty amazing. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 10
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Apparently,  Paul Maxwell being happy about this makes many male Calvinists very unhappy, and there will be a lot of snippy remarks and huffing about this. 

Largely because much of their identity is that of a consumer of this particular ‘brand’.  For all their talk about ‘functional idols’ they will put their roles in their bios (father, husband, pastor, etc) and plaster their feeds with pictures of the latest theological tomes they bought. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 4

4 minutes ago, stylites said:

Largely because much of their identity is that of a consumer of this particular ‘brand’.  For all their talk about ‘functional idols’ they will put their roles in their bios (father, husband, pastor, etc) and plaster their feeds with pictures of the latest theological tomes they bought. 

I’m afraid I agree. Same song, different verse. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

I wish I were as buoyantly joyful as Paul Maxwell seems to be, but I honestly miss believing in God. I do NOT miss fundigelicalism, the misogyny, bigotry, willful ignorance, corruption, black and white thinking, anti-intellectualism (or the reverse, the spurious pseudo-intellectualism of Calvinism). But I do miss believing that someone had my best interests at heart and loved me unreservedly.

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 28

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

By following a few exevangelicals on Twitter, I'm finding more interesting people who have been retweeted by those folks.  In addition, there is a lot of discussion going on at the intersection of Trumpism and fundamentalism, but oddly we don't seem to have a thread specific to that.  This twitter thread addresses that. There is also a link to an unroll of the thread and a link to a Matthew Sheffield essay the thread is based on. 

Read unrolled thread here: Liz Cheney, Trump, and the epistemic collapse of fundamentalism

Thread is based on this essay: Liz Cheney won’t be the last casualty of conservatism’s epistemic collapse  The intellectual destruction of Christian fundamentalism has caused the American right to believe that truth is entirely the product of social power

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 10

Here's the unroll of a twitter thread on this same topic: 

Trump's ability to assert obvious lies -through ceaseless repetition, in the face of obvious evidence to the contrary- resonates so strongly with American Christian religious zealots because it is the apotheosis of "presuppositionalism"...

(His explanation is helping me get a handle on presuppositionalism!)

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 9

Thanks for those links, @Howl. In return, Here's another recommendation.

I've recently started listening to Christian Rightcast which does very deep dives into the Christian right. The podcast isn't the most dynamic production but their coverage is very thorough and it has actually helped me have a better understanding of the origins of of Christian reconstructionism & its descendant cults. It's best for listening while doing minor, mindless tasks or while exercising.

The most recent podcast looks at the trajectory of reconstructionism in US political & cultural life -- from Rushdoony to Gary North & Ron Paul, the rise of Kinism, and even Doug Phillips & VF get a few mentions. MUCH more on VF is coming in future episodes on Christian homeschooling as well as a deep dive on Gothard, ATI, the Duggars, and purity culture.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 10

As an exvangelical I'm so tired of the arguments "You just want to sin," and "you want pre/extramarital sex." They refuse to believe we could have problems with the theology itself and convince themselves it's just because we don't like the rules anymore. 

• Upvote 22
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 3

13 hours ago, Giraffe said:

They refuse to believe we could have problems with the theology itself

I see this stated repeatedly by exvangelicals on twitter, with a second criticism  that evangelicals think of all sorts of incorrect assumptions about why people leave, while refusing to engage directly with exvangelicals to understand the actual reasons they left. 

Actually, there are plenty of sources that clarify why  people leave fundamentalism, but it's easier for fundies to create a narrative that passes judgement and casts leavers as immoral. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 11

Late to this thread; I've actually met the family, and his father knows who I am, though I doubt Abraham would remember me.

I used to follow Abraham on Twitter, but his posts trailed off. I guess he moved to Tik Tok (I'm not on there). He's also an artist and has an Instagram account for his art, and was trying to get a local art group going on Reddit.

He's very Internet media savvy. The NY Times article mentions BrainJolt but he's been involved with several successful Internet companies including "22 Words". Doesn't surprise me a bit that he's equally popular on Tik Tok. I love his quirky sense of humor.

But anyone who dismisses him based on the easygoing style, snark, and occasional profanity should look deeper -- he's a very reflective thinker. I find the journey he's taken inspiring, given the family he comes from. I can only imagine how hard/awkward family interactions must be for him.

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, Howl said:

I see this stated repeatedly by exvangelicals on twitter, with a second criticism  that evangelicals think of all sorts of incorrect assumptions about why people leave, while refusing to engage directly with exvangelicals to understand the actual reasons they left. 

So many times, this comes down to "You did it wrong" whether it's leaving evangelical churches, not having your children turn out to be VF-perfect clones, or, really, nearly any matter where someone doesn't measure up in the eyes of their co-religionists. IOW, evangelical beliefs, churches or leaders themselves are never ever at fault. 

13 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

But anyone who dismisses him based on the easygoing style, snark, and occasional profanity should look deeper -- he's a very reflective thinker. I find the journey he's taken inspiring, given the family he comes from. I can only imagine how hard/awkward family interactions must be for him.

An interesting viewpoint. Thank you. I give him a lot of credit for speaking out.

Another child of a famous if not foundational fundie is Francis Schaeffer's son, Frank. Frank's memoirs (The God Trilogy) about growing up at L'Abri while white evangelicalism was on the rise in the 1960s & 19970s, BTW, are fascinating and probably have Edith & Francis revolving endlessly in their graves.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

Well, Russell Moore is not an exvangelical but he's leaving the SBC's leadership -- is the ship leaving the sinking rats? ?️  ?  ? ?

Moore’s departure from the convention’s Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission (ERLC) follows other high-profile exits from the denomination, including popular Bible teacher Beth Moore (no relation) and Black pastors. Some evangelicals are wondering what their departures signal about the direction of the convention, which has included louder voices on the far right in recent years.

Russell Moore will be joining the staff of Christianity Today, the evangelical magazine founded by the late evangelist Billy Graham, where he will write content and help launch a “Public Theology Project,” hosting events and gatherings about theology.

• Thank You 8

Chrissy Stroop noted on twitter today that the SBC is now so far to the right that an ultra conservative like Moore is considered not conservative enough. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 2

I’ve been following former Mormons like Exmo Lex, Jimmy Snow, and Zelph on the Shelf on YouTube. They say that the majority of devout Mormons are convinced that people leave the church because someone “offended” them (implying it was their own choice to feel offended) or because they wanted to “sin” (have sex outside marriage, drink coffee, consume alcohol/drugs)—not because, on close examination, the theology of the church just fell apart. On forums, ex-Mormons seem more likely than other formerly religious people to segue directly into atheism rather than into a more liberal or less restrictive religion.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

1 hour ago, Hane said:

On forums, ex-Mormons seem more likely than other formerly religious people to segue directly into atheism rather than into a more liberal or less restrictive religion.

No offense to any LDS here but so much of the LDS church's beliefs -- even mainstream LDS, never mind the FLDS -- are so fantastical, starting with the Joseph Smith origin stories . It doesn't surprise me that LDS who have had it with their church move right into atheism.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 13