IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 41: Marrying off the Kidults at the Speed of Light

Coconut Flan

I worked at a children's museum in college with a girl who was color blind. We were instructed to cut out a certain amount of shapes on colored construction paper. We went to sort the colors into piles....it did not turn out so well :pb_lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

My friend's brother is so color blind that he has to have his closet organized by his mom because otherwise he will wear whatever. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, viii said:

My friend's brother is so color blind that he has to have his closet organized by his mom because otherwise he will wear whatever. 

I come from a big family of color blind men--joining the military is a great solution to clothing issues! : )

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 1

My SIL is color blind.  We all buy him white or gray and white striped shirts and black trousers and jackets.  He always looks quite put together M-F.  On weekends you might see him coaching the baseball teams in almost any color combination.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • Love 4

Here's an idea. Covid vaccines aren't for kids because no parent wants their kids to be guinea pigs. Right? These big families, they're the ones that should be targeted to be research projects for the vaccines. They have lots of kids; they can sacrifice a few......the tests I'm sure can't be worse than getting spanked for crying, or not knowing better.........Ok I got that out of my system. Take it however you want.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 8
  • Haha 1

My brother is color blind. His biggest struggle is knowing when meat is cooked bc he can’t see the shades of colors from raw to done. 

My son is color blind. Certain games on my phone are very hard for him, but that’s the extent of his limits now. He’s only 6. And he’s sad he can’t see the fall leaves change colors. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

12 minutes ago, Lease257 said:

My brother is color blind. His biggest struggle is knowing when meat is cooked bc he can’t see the shades of colors from raw to done. 

That's also been an issue for the color blind men in my family. They are also bad at things like picking berries (blueberries, blackberries, etc.) because they can't easily see which are ripe.

And as I said, picking a career that comes with uniforms helps with the clothing decisions, but some positions are off limits--for example, being an  US Air Force pilot [https://www.airforce.com/frequently-asked-questions/medical/what-are-the-vision-requirements-if-i-hope-to-be-an-air-force-pilot]

PS The vast majority of color blind people are male. I think its something like 1 in 12 males have at least a bit of color blindness, but only 1 in 200 females. 

• Upvote 7

On 4/27/2021 at 5:06 AM, BullyJBG said:

Here's an idea. Covid vaccines aren't for kids because no parent wants their kids to be guinea pigs. Right? These big families, they're the ones that should be targeted to be research projects for the vaccines. They have lots of kids; they can sacrifice a few......the tests I'm sure can't be worse than getting spanked for crying, or not knowing better.........Ok I got that out of my system. Take it however you want.

Covid vaccines aren’t for kids (yet) because no one with a moral compass wants the health and well-being of a minor to be toyed with no matter how many siblings their idiot parents decided to have. The possible side effects and tests are likely not worse than child abuse, does your suggestion logically follow that kids in foster care or on the CPS radar should also be targeted? 

I can only hope the phrasing “sacrifice a few” in reference to human children was particularly dark humour and not how you seriously think.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 7

Phizer is applying for the FDA's emergency authorization use  for those 12-15 for that vaccine, although clinical trials are still going on for children under 12. In theory, middle school kids and those under 16 in high schools could be vaccinated before the next school year starts. As it is, Phizer is allowed for those 16 and over, which is why those 16-17 are getting that instead of the other vaccines, which are only for those for adults 18 and over.

• Upvote 6

Our high school has already had a vaccine clinic for the kid’s 16-18 in our district. I’m glad that many have already had one dose. It will help a lot with keeping the spread down in the high school. It’s already low since they wear masks. I think the spread has been through sports mostly. But if all the 16, 17, and 18 year olds are vaccinated, the spread might get down to almost nothing (even in sports). Fingers crossed.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 3

I’m sure covid vaccines for kids will be approved soon enough, it’s just that the risk:benefit assessment is different for them so it takes longer. My point was that children shouldn’t be targeted for medical trials on the basis of their parents’ abuse and/or lack of contraception.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

I assume that if the virus had targeted kids more, the trials would have prioritized them due to the cost/benefit ratio being different.

Coming from a medical family and as a kid that was great at getting shots, I'm sure I would've been volunteered for one of the trials. I'm also sure I would've been fine with it considering I've always had a very community-first mindset, and I don't have a history of reacting badly to vaccines and so statistically I would be a safe choice.

As it is, I look forward to the U-16s getting them now, just as peace of mind for their parents. Long COVID is terrifying, and a kid that gets COVID could end up with 90+ years of symptoms. Yikes. Although supposedly the vaccine does help those with long COVID, not sure if anyone here has first hand experience with it?

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

A client of mine's 8yo son had covid and developed type 1 diabetes. She said the pediatrician told them there may be a link because of the systemic inflammatory response to the virus. Very scary thought and a good reason to vaccinate kids when deemed safe.

That being said, to the parents of 19 kids "sacrificing a few" is not the same as asking someone to risk their only life/health and I think your comment was in poor taste regardless. Their parents already think of the kids as only numbered extensions of themselves, we don't need to play along.

Eta: I have not researched the claims to see if the medical community at large feels this is an issue.

Edited by GuineaPigCourtship
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I assume that if the virus had targeted kids more, the trials would have prioritized them due to the cost/benefit ratio being different.

Coming from a medical family and as a kid that was great at getting shots, I'm sure I would've been volunteered for one of the trials. I'm also sure I would've been fine with it considering I've always had a very community-first mindset, and I don't have a history of reacting badly to vaccines and so statistically I would be a safe choice.

As it is, I look forward to the U-16s getting them now, just as peace of mind for their parents. Long COVID is terrifying, and a kid that gets COVID could end up with 90+ years of symptoms. Yikes. Although supposedly the vaccine does help those with long COVID, not sure if anyone here has first hand experience with it?

Here in England it’s been explained thus far that as the risk of Covid in children is a lot lower the risk/benefit ratio of a vaccine is different.

The doctor explaining it compared it to measles, where the risk to a child is a lot higher from measles therefore the benefit of a vaccine outweighs any potential risk the vaccine has.

That said they are doing trials in younger people.

• Upvote 4

Ok, so we currently have two confirmed pregnancies- Jessa (due in the summer), and Anna (due in the fall). As always, I'm wondering who's quietly waiting in the wings.

The two newly married couples will likely announce by August (possibly sooner). Lauren, Abbie and Joy have each had a significant chunk of time since their last birth, so any of them are a possibility.

It's been less than six months since Jinger last gave birth, and she seems to be procreating at a slower pace than others. Kendra is on the quiverful fast track, but its only been a couple of months so we won't get an announcement from her until fall (at the earliest).

According to Duggar Data, Anna announced her current pregnancy sooner than predicted. Announcements are predicted for Lauren and Abbie in June, and for Joy in August.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 5

I was wondering just that myself @VeryNikeSeamstress I think, just based on the time from the last birth that we will soon hear from Joy, not quite sure about Lauren (I want to say June) she only has one kid and has had a rough delivery so I could see her announce soon but also waiting a little bit more.

I expect an announcement from Claire and Justin around Us mother's day or June at the latest. 

Jed and Katey could announce something around August (I have a strong feeling for them with August don't know why) 

Then in the fall, we have Anna giving birth to M7. 

If she keeps up this peace Kendra can announce in winter around Christmas again for #4 

Around Gracie's second bday I could see Abbie announce #2 

Can't around the same time as Abbie if she announces her and Stephen engagement in the summertime 

• Upvote 6

I think the timing of the next announcement for Joy will be very significant. I wouldn't be completely shocked if she and Austin did not choose the QF path since he wasn't raised in that kind of family and so far seems to value having a close relationship with his children as individuals. I can see him exerting himself as headship to limit their family size. I think if they decided to not be QF then they might do what many typical families do when they want more than 2 children: have 2 fairly close together, then wait until the second one is 3+ to have another.

• Upvote 2

I agree with you that the time will be telling and that Austin seems to value a close personal relationship with his kids, but I'm not sure they will choose to ditch the Quiverfull movement, after all, they seem to have been both baths in the kool-aid. They have had the first three pregnancies close togheter, I know that after Annabel, they maybe want to have another one close, but if this is an indication of their path...

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 6

4 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Ok, so we currently have two confirmed pregnancies- Jessa (due in the summer), and Anna (due in the fall). As always, I'm wondering who's quietly waiting in the wings.

The two newly married couples will likely announce by August (possibly sooner). Lauren, Abbie and Joy have each had a significant chunk of time since their last birth, so any of them are a possibility.

It's been less than six months since Jinger last gave birth, and she seems to be procreating at a slower pace than others. Kendra is on the quiverful fast track, but its only been a couple of months so we won't get an announcement from her until fall (at the earliest).

According to Duggar Data, Anna announced her current pregnancy sooner than predicted. Announcements are predicted for Lauren and Abbie in June, and for Joy in August.

Joy had a baby last August. I hope 8 months does not make a Long time since a last pregnancy. These folks really skew things, don’t they?

• Upvote 11

7 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

I was wondering just that myself @VeryNikeSeamstress I think, just based on the time from the last birth that we will soon hear from Joy, not quite sure about Lauren (I want to say June) she only has one kid and has had a rough delivery so I could see her announce soon but also waiting a little bit more.

I expect an announcement from Claire and Justin around Us mother's day or June at the latest. 

Jed and Katey could announce something around August (I have a strong feeling for them with August don't know why) 

Then in the fall, we have Anna giving birth to M7. 

If she keeps up this peace Kendra can announce in winter around Christmas again for #4 

Around Gracie's second bday I could see Abbie announce #2 

Can't around the same time as Abbie if she announces her and Stephen engagement in the summertime 

I could definitely see a Mother's Day or Father's Day themed announcement from Justin and Claire. Mother's Day may be a bit of a stretch though unless she got pregnant in the first week or so of their marriage 

• Upvote 3

I don't know if this goes here on in the Joe and Kendra thread, but I just saw on Tumblr that Lauren is wearing the J&J service t-shirt that James was wearing sometimes ago on his Instagram...so speculation about this, them together have started again. What do you think? An old shirt gifted from Kendra? Something a friend would give to his sister in law little sister? Or there is something? 

https://notfun-damental.tumblr.com/post/649721468618407936/looks-like-lauren-caldwell-is-wearing-james-shirt

• Upvote 3

It doesn't have to be exactly his tshirt. I wouldn't go that far in speculaion. It might be just one of few they passed  around for advertisment reasons.

• Upvote 10

I fully expect Lauren to announce a pregnancy within the next couple of months. I think Abbie won’t be far behind. They are both at the right time after the birth of their first (at least in Duggarland). 

Both sets of newlyweds will also announce by fall at latest. I wish these kids weren’t so determined to reproduce as soon as possible. It’s like watching royalty trying to generate heirs to the throne,

I seem to recall Joy saying during her wedding episode that she and Austin had discussed children and would take as many as they were given. However, she’s had some rough experiences, they’re a very practical couple, and Austin seems to adore her. I have to wonder if they’re rethinking that decision. While I don’t think they’re done by any means, I wouldn’t be surprised if subsequent births are more spread out. 

Jinger and Jeremy will go until they get a boy and then stop. I suspect Jeremy really wants a son, but they also don’t seem like they’d want a mega-family. 

jill and Derick - I could see them trying for a girl and then stopping. I could also see them being done with two. If they try again, it will be after Derick takes the bar, which will probably occur over the summer. Bar prep is brutal, but once you’re done, there is usually a slight down period between the exam and actual admission to the bar. 

• Upvote 9

I think Lauren and Abbie will announce soon - I am surprised they haven't already, tbh. 

I think Joy will announce shortly. It'll be interesting to see her child gaps. I think the loss of Annabelle will affect her decision on her quiver, but who knows. Her and Austin have both proven to be dumber crayons in the box. 

I see Jinger and Jeremy with 5 kids. 

I doubt Jill and Derick are done - they've both stated many times they want more kids. I could see them having two more closer together and being done at 4. That's a manageable family. 

• Upvote 11

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Discipleship Summit for Single Young Fundies
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic