IGNORED

Maxwell 47: Vestigial Tales of the Messy Towel Drawer

Coconut Flan

On 5/17/2021 at 12:33 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m shook.

They actually posted the picture of Chelsy in her very tight skinny jeans on the Maxwell blog. I really thought they would crop them out! Is Steve softening on his stance on pants!? What is going on? What is life?

I doubt very much that Steve is softening his stance, and we won't see pants on any of the women who live under his headship. I also think he realizes he can't hide Chelsy's pants wearing as it's all over her blog and probably whatever social media she has too. Here's what's interesting to me: when they did the photoshoot to announce the last pregnancy, when she was first spotted in jeans on her blog, the pics included on the Maxblog were all cropped so it would be impossible to know that she was wearing jeans. That makes me wonder if John and Chelsy specifically sent over pics that wouldn't make sense with the pants cropped out - like the one where they're standing in a line holding hands. To crop out her pants, they'd have had to crop out both of the kids. 

• Upvote 15

On 5/17/2021 at 7:55 PM, SPHASH said:

So Chelsy and John will have three kids under the age of three by fall and have been married less than four years.  At the rate they are going no way in hell will they ever leave Leavenworth.  Three unmarried sisters at their disposal to help with the childcare is too good to pass up.  I can't see them moving to Iowa like I'd hoped cuz Becky doesn't seem like the type to help because she is cold-hearted, the band touring, plus the Bontragers believe in marrying their kids off so no unmarried sisters to help.

There are a lot of ways living near and being related to the Maxwell's would be awful- but as far as needing help with things they are a pretty top notch family to have.

In emergency type situation they are more than willing and capable to completely take over and run a household for someone. They literally had someone living with Christopher whenever the kids were awake this past year. When Melanie was on bedrest with Bethany they took care of Abby and the house cleaning/other chores.

They also help out in small ways. On a weekly basis the Aunts do a playtime at their house and Teri comes over to read to the kids in each family. While these two things may seem little having your small kids taken care of by others twice a week can be a huge relief. 

I imagine if Chelsy is having a rough day one phone call someone can run over to help out. I don't have the support they do and while I would never trade my life for hers, I am partially jealous of the amount of support they have.  

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

30 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

There are a lot of ways living near and being related to the Maxwell's would be awful- but as far as needing help with things they are a pretty top notch family to have.

In emergency type situation they are more than willing and capable to completely take over and run a household for someone. They literally had someone living with Christopher whenever the kids were awake this past year. When Melanie was on bedrest with Bethany they took care of Abby and the house cleaning/other chores.

They also help out in small ways. On a weekly basis the Aunts do a playtime at their house and Teri comes over to read to the kids in each family. While these two things may seem little having your small kids taken care of by others twice a week can be a huge relief. 

I imagine if Chelsy is having a rough day one phone call someone can run over to help out. I don't have the support they do and while I would never trade my life for hers, I am partially jealous of the amount of support they have.  

If only they could cook they would be great for emergencies.  Sadly, the only Maxwell I'd want to get meals from is the former Bontrager.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

When will proper manly attire be back in fashion?

220px-After_Hans_Holbein_the_Younger_-_P

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 22
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

If only they could cook they would be great for emergencies.  Sadly, the only Maxwell I'd want to get meals from is the former Bontrager.

True enough, but I think Elissa could cook rather well. I know she kept a vegetable garden when they lived in Leavenworth.

• Upvote 8

I think Steve justifies Chelsy wearing pants by hypothesizing that she only does so because her husband permits it (which could possibly be the case).

Anyway with three children in 3 years,  I doubt Chelsy and John would move to Iowa. As others have said the help the three unmarried adult women could provide is gold. Chelsy's sibling are largely married and have their own children so they would not be as flexible in providing childcare. Chelsy's  younger siblings left at home will soon be married (if the Bontrager's track record is anything to go by) and even if they aren't they are too busy touring to help out Chelsy. 

• Upvote 5

Too bad Steve can’t pull an Erica Schupe and self/family course correct. These people merely exist.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

28 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Too bad Steve can’t pull an Erica Schupe and self/family course correct. These people merely exist.

Was she the one with the jellybeans and kids stacked like cordwood?  (Some of these people I only know via post count titles.)

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

When will proper manly attire be back in fashion?

220px-After_Hans_Holbein_the_Younger_-_P

Check out the wide stance on King Henry! ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Talitha Cumi said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the resemblance to DPIAT!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

26 minutes ago, Talitha Cumi said:

Well, that codpiece needs plenty of space!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

31 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Was she the one with the jellybeans and kids stacked like cordwood?  (Some of these people I only know via post count titles.)

I believe she was the one with the jellybeans, and she was definitely the one with the *grin* *wink* *"rye" smile* blog asides, but I think the "children stacked like cordwood" was someone else.

• I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

On 5/17/2021 at 1:26 PM, SassyPants said:

When I find comfortable, affordable clothes that fit, I always buy more than one of those items.

Same! I once found some loose, black, knit pants (basically t-shirts for your legs - but with POCKETS) that are comfy enough to wear as PJs but can be worn in public without judgement. My sister had a pair, and recommended I get some for an upcoming trip. 

They were on clearance at Walmart for $1. I bought every pair in my size, like 8 of them. 

It took me a while to warm up to skinny jeans, but now that they're apparently going out of style I can't bring myself to go back to looser ones. I have a pair of jeans that might actually be kind of flares more than loose, and I keep picking them up and putting them back without wearing them. I look better with tighter clothes on the bottom and looser tops, usually. 

As for jeans buying - I've found lately that Old Navy's jeans are awesome for me. 

On 5/18/2021 at 4:11 AM, Foudeb said:

Unpopular opinion : I don't think Steve cares about the skinny jeans. She's popping out a new maxwell every year and likely has enough tact to say and do the right things in his presence. That's... Likely enough. 

Maybe, but I'm not sure. It seems like if he didn't care then the unmarried "girls" would at least be allowed to wear some kind of pants when doing work or workouts. This is mr. "no contrasting buttons" after all. The guy who had a photo of a child's baptism poorly photoshopped over because a sliver of her belly showed, and whose older daughters and wife regularly hike "14ers" in ankle-length heavy denim skirts. (When I was looking into the possibility of starting hiking, one of the very first things in the info I found was "cotton kills, so don't wear it if you can help it!" - it's a hypothermia thing. Imagine being out hiking up a mountain and being caught in a heavy rainstorm in a long denim skirt!)

I think he let it slide this time because it was impossible not to without being extra obviously ridiculous. 

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

that are comfy enough to wear as PJs but can be worn in public without judgement.

Once I realized this works with yoga looser fit slightly flared yoga pants they became 90% of my work wardrobe.  As long as my top goes to top of my thighs they look like work slacks.  I only wear actual grown up pants with shorter tops now.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Once I realized this works with yoga looser fit slightly flared yoga pants they became 90% of my work wardrobe.  As long as my top goes to top of my thighs they look like work slacks.  I only wear actual grown up pants with shorter tops now.

I saw a commercial for sketcher gowalk pants, I think I need to buy a pair for when I am required to go back into the office. I don't know if I can wear real pants for 5 days 9 hours a day. I haven't gained weight while working from home but I am very comfortable in my yoga pants, sweat pants, hoodies, long sleeve tees, etc.! 

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Same! I once found some loose, black, knit pants (basically t-shirts for your legs - but with POCKETS) that are comfy enough to wear as PJs but can be worn in public without judgement.

Are you me? I did the same - only I found my pants at Winners (a Canadian discount store). I also bought every pair in my size (but only got 5 ?).

My life has been so much easier since I curated my wardrobe. I used to fret over what to wear but now it is easy. I wear  the same thing every day: black pants, black top , black cardigan (if it is cold) , black socks, sensible black shoes. If I feel like going wild I switch to the same outfit with a white shirt. Even my workout outfits and pyjamas are multiples of the same thing. bonus: if one sock gets lost in the wash - I can pull out a matching sock from one of the multiple identical pairs of socks. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, browngrl said:

Are you me? I did the same - only I found my pants at Winners (a Canadian discount store). I also bought every pair in my size (but only got 5 ?).

My life has been so much easier since I curated my wardrobe. I used to fret over what to wear but now it is easy. I wear  the same thing every day: black pants, black top , black cardigan (if it is cold) , black socks, sensible black shoes. If I feel like going wild I switch to the same outfit with a white shirt. Even my workout outfits and pyjamas are multiples of the same thing. bonus: if one sock gets lost in the wash - I can pull out a matching sock from one of the multiple identical pairs of socks. 

I have always wished I could just have a uniform and wear the same things to work all the time...the amount of time I spend picking out clothes for work when not even I care is such waste.  

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have always wished I could just have a uniform and wear the same things to work all the time...the amount of time I spend picking out clothes for work when not even I care is such waste.  

I wore a uniform my whole life (minus 4 years at university when I wasn't working at the hospital). I loved it, so easy.

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Several years ago, I read an article about a woman who did just that—found a navy blue suit and white shirt she liked, bought a few of them, and made her life easier.

@HerNameIsBuffy, IIRC, “children stacked like cordwood” indicated the Coughlins, whose patriarch worked for DPIARBT in his warehouse. They crammed something like eight kids into one small bedroom, with “bunk beds” made of industrial metal shelving and thin sheets of foam for mattresses. They were three or four levels high, with maybe two feet of headspace for each one. The mother insisted they “loved” it and didn’t want to spread out into a spare room in the house that was being used for a library or something.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 5

33 minutes ago, Hane said:

children stacked like cordwood” indicated the Coughlins, whose patriarch worked for DPIARBT in his warehouse. They crammed something like eight kids into one small bedroom, with “bunk beds” made of industrial metal shelving and thin sheets of foam for mattresses. They were three or four levels high, with maybe two feet of headspace for each one. The mother insisted they “loved” it and didn’t want to spread out into a spare room in the house that was being used for a library or something.

And now that they have less children living at home, they live in a much bigger and nicer house with a pool and a hot tub. Ironic that they seem to be doing much better than the tool these days. 

• Upvote 9

I like Lands End crop pants, I think they are called Starfish (for reasons unclear to me).  Nice wide elastic waistband!  I also have a couple pair of black yoga pants that I love.  For tops, I prefer popovers (loose fit, no button ups for me).  

• Upvote 7

26 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I like Lands End crop pants, I think they are called Starfish (for reasons unclear to me).  Nice wide elastic waistband!  I also have a couple pair of black yoga pants that I love.  For tops, I prefer popovers (loose fit, no button ups for me).  

I never had much luck with button down shirts fitting properly.  If they fit across my chest to not gap the rest is so big the shoulders are halfway down my arm.  An oversize flannel stolen from a man around the house is fine, but for work I'd have to get them tailored and nah....[pullovers for me too.  Although I'm stealing popovers now, much cuter phrasing!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

Yes, button ups always gap at my chest.  Plus, I'm short so long sleeves are always too long.  Since I gave up on trying to look tailored, I'm much happier.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

On 5/18/2021 at 11:48 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I could have lived my whole life not knowing which part of a woman's body Steve found most tempting.  I can't unknow this now :) 

Sorry!!! :brainbleach:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

On 5/18/2021 at 5:48 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I could have lived my whole life not knowing which part of a woman's body Steve found most tempting.  I can't unknow this now :) 

I feel like that's not exactly well-hidden Maxlore. The tale of Steve weeping with sorrow after he accidentally saw down a church acquaintance's blouse was on either a blog post or a Dad's Corner (more likely the Corner, and probably one of the ones that it says "women, don't read this!" but I did anyway.) Plus the layering of shirts kind of gives it away. Although when I first started following them 10+ years ago, they were all about "we wear our jumpers ankle length, if we buy jumpers with slits we sew them shut" so calves were also verboten but they seem to have relaxed on that. Also they used to NEVER wear sandals (Teri had some toe-bumper hiking sandals in those days, which she wore with socks) which made me wonder if Steve was worked up about "toe cleavage" as well, but the gurks seem to wear flip-flops/sandals and go barefoot a good bit of the time on the blog now, so that must have been relaxed as well.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic