IGNORED

Maxwell 47: Vestigial Tales of the Messy Towel Drawer

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

Even in a Stevejovah-adjacent family such as Nathan's I'm sure any mention of magic or fairies talking toys or even having an attachment to a stuffed toy would be Strictly Forbidden. Remember this is the man who used white-out to cover up the line "life is but a dream" in the lyrics to Row Row your Boat.  So, no Velveteen Rabbit for the Max Grands!

But don't some of the books Teri brings over to the grandkids to read have inanimate objects talking?  I remember being surprised that one of her books was about tractors or farm equipment, or similar,  who could talk.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, fundiefan said:

If I were a parent and my child summitted that after reading a story, said child would have a long afternoon of question & answer. Why doesn't it have value? What would give it value? Do you really think the reader hasn't learned anything? Nothing? Really? Why? 

Then they'd have been set the assignment of an essay justifying their stance that it has no value, with examples. 

Seriously, those people fail at education. Fail.

I'm a parent and a teacher, and I agree:  These people make religious homeschooling sound like a very bad idea.  

Also:  I'm the proud mom of a daughter who just completed her MFA in Creative Writing and gave me as a mother's day gift her bound thesis ( a novel she's been working on for two years).  That gift made me cry and I am not a crier. We always took reading and writing seriously and allowed her to read anything she wanted.  When she was young we often read the same novels and talked about them and what we had learned.   She's a thinker and an analyzer, something the poor Maxwell kids will never be allowed to be.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 18

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Just in the summary posted above, I learned

-that mongooses attack cobras ferociously

Now you need this for whenever someone waves their Gadsden flag at you. (I'm thinking of sewing this up into a flag or banner that I can wave back with.)

Spoiler

treadwhereIplease.jpg.c36848447dbbe24766fd1c8a8c954c56.jpg

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 8

I’m glad they did a Mother’s Day post for Teri. I think one year they didn’t do a post or it was more of an after thought. However, for Father’s Day their always a post. One year I think they celebrated Father’s Day twice because Anna & Mary were not going to be home on the actual day. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1

Is it just me or does Teri seem to be much more "at peace" these days. She seems almost relaxed in a lot of the photos. I wonder if the weight of homeschooling and raising kids has finally been lifted. I know Mary is in her twenties now; but maybe it has taken a few years for the relief to set in. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Now you need this for whenever someone waves their Gadsden flag at you. (I'm thinking of sewing this up into a flag or banner that I can wave back with.)

Hide contents

treadwhereIplease.jpg.c36848447dbbe24766fd1c8a8c954c56.jpg

Corollary to the fierce honeybadger!!! Thank you! But now I have to DuckDuckGo “Gadsden flag—!”

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Corollary to the fierce honeybadger!!! Thank you! But now I have to DuckDuckGo “Gadsden flag—!”

Spoiler

61PFOmcLliL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.821219311311ba1e9a6e0ddcdf0b059d.jpg

That's my fave version of the Gadsden Flag.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

5 hours ago, Alisamer said:
  Hide contents

61PFOmcLliL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.821219311311ba1e9a6e0ddcdf0b059d.jpg

Had no idea that flag had a name! Thanks all !!!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Mine, too!

• Upvote 3

On 5/10/2021 at 9:32 AM, usedbicycle said:

Wow @crunchycarrots and @RachelDM, you deserve a FJ award for those detective skills. 

I got the idea from all the true crime podcasts I listen too, where they sometimes talk about investigators using the imprints left behind on notepads to solve crimes. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

13 hours ago, crunchycarrots said:

I got the idea from all the true crime podcasts I listen too, where they sometimes talk about investigators using the imprints left behind on notepads to solve crimes. ?

Remember when amateur sleuths carefully shaved a pencil lead so the dust settled in the impressions on the pad? The better to see what had been written! 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Remember when amateur sleuths carefully shaved a pencil lead so the dust settled in the impressions on the pad? The better to see what had been written! 

I have read entirely too many Nancy Drew books.

Something else the Maxwellians are probably not allowed to enjoy, I assume.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

On 5/10/2021 at 2:42 PM, Black Aliss said:

Even in a Stevejovah-adjacent family such as Nathan's I'm sure any mention of magic or fairies talking toys or even having an attachment to a stuffed toy would be Strictly Forbidden. Remember this is the man who used white-out to cover up the line "life is but a dream" in the lyrics to Row Row your Boat.  So, no Velveteen Rabbit for the Max Grands!

Wait, what? I've been away for a few years and hadn't heard this one. What do they sing at that line instead?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Talitha Cumi said:

Wait, what? I've been away for a few years and hadn't heard this one. What do they sing at that line instead?

It was in one of the Dad's corners that has been removed from their website. I  misspoke;  all the lyrics were covered up.  If memory serves me correctly it was a piano lesson book so, according to Steve, the lyrics were unnecessary and they weren't Jesus-centered. Too many merrilys I guess, plus life is NOT a dream.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Talitha Cumi said:

If I remember correctly, it was in an instruction book for an instrument, and just happened to have the words in it, as well.

I don't know if they ever sang it.

ETA - I see @Black Aliss hit submit before I did! I went off for a minute to google whether there were alternative Christian lyrics.

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

13 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

ETA - I see @Black Aliss hit submit before I did! I went off for a minute to google whether there were alternative Christian lyrics.

Surely you could come up with some that would be Steve-approved. I only got as far as "verily, verily, verily"

ETA I found this rather bleak one, but it's still a little too cheery for Steve.

Spoiler

image.png.0e2a51527a84c305138d409f6c6a62a5.png

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 9

10 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Surely you could come up with some that would be Steve-approved. I only got as far as "verily, verily, verily"

OK!

To be sung to Peter (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+14%3A26-31&version=KJV):

Step, step, from the boat,
Keep your faith in Him.
Verily, verily, verily, verily,
He'll keep you afloat!

Edited to be more KJVish:

Step, step, from the boat,
Keep thy faith in Him.
Verily, verily, verily, verily,
He'll keep thee afloat!

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Thank You 1

14 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

It was in one of the Dad's corners that has been removed from their website. I  misspoke;  all the lyrics were covered up.  If memory serves me correctly it was a piano lesson book so, according to Steve, the lyrics were unnecessary and they weren't Jesus-centered. Too many merrilys I guess, plus life is NOT a dream.

Oh for God's sake! It's not enough to be completely innocuous; everything has to be overtly Jesusy. It must be exhausting to be in this family.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 10

I’m wondering when Chelsy and John will slow down. Maybe after they have 4 kids 4 and under? Do we think Steve saw Chelsy’s tight skinny jeans? Sarah took the pictures for Chelsy so I’m guessing he did. 

• Upvote 13

6 hours ago, Talitha Cumi said:

Oh for God's sake! It's not enough to be completely innocuous; everything has to be overtly Jesusy. It must be exhausting to be in this family.

While the song Row Row Row Your Boat is interesting, it has no value. It does not teach the singer anything. So, while it does entertain you, you are not any wiser and you have not learned anything while singing this song.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bertnee said:

While the song Row Row Row Your Boat is interesting, it has no value. It does not teach the singer anything. So, while it does entertain you, you are not any wiser and you have not learned anything while singing this song.

I love you!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

I was bored and looking through old blog posts from the Maxwells and I came across this gem. I think Nate is about to choke someone out.

B3753548-F037-4C78-84F7-0585499E6169.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • Move Along 1
  • Haha 8

26 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was bored and looking through old blog posts from the Maxwells and I came across this gem. I think Nate is about to choke someone out.

Holy shit does he look like Steve.  I never noticed the resemblance before.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

That face coming at me like that, no matter what he was saying, would make me run for the damn hills. 

It's scary. 

I guess boys don't have to worry about their countenance. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Well what do you expect -- the other guy is brandishing a Pepsi!  :lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 28
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic