IGNORED

Maxwell 47: Vestigial Tales of the Messy Towel Drawer

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

Yes, button ups always gap at my chest.  Plus, I'm short so long sleeves are always too long.  Since I gave up on trying to look tailored, I'm much happier.

I think "tailored" is beyond my ability, but luckily I work in a creative field so I don't have to look that way. I love the look of button ups, but yeah, if they fit my chest they're tents. I do have a few though that I wear unbuttoned with the sleeves rolled up over tank tops occasionally. It looks like I put in some effort! And for some reason I freeze if my shoulders are exposed, so they help with that but are light enough for airflow when it's hot.

I mostly live in jeans, t-shirts, and hoodies (a cardigan if I need to dress it up slightly), however. Occasionally a dress or skirt in the summer, with slip shorts underneath. I love leggings and long shirts too, but none of mine have pockets which is crazy annoying. Where am I supposed to put my chapstick, hair tie, and pocket knife? For shoes I have an almost-worn-out pair of black Vans, or running shoes in the winter (or sometimes some furry Emu boots!), in the summer Keen or Betula sandals mostly.

• Upvote 8

4 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I think "tailored" is beyond my ability, but luckily I work in a creative field so I don't have to look that way. I love the look of button ups, but yeah, if they fit my chest they're tents. I do have a few though that I wear unbuttoned with the sleeves rolled up over tank tops occasionally. It looks like I put in some effort! And for some reason I freeze if my shoulders are exposed, so they help with that but are light enough for airflow when it's hot.

I mostly live in jeans, t-shirts, and hoodies (a cardigan if I need to dress it up slightly), however. Occasionally a dress or skirt in the summer, with slip shorts underneath. I love leggings and long shirts too, but none of mine have pockets which is crazy annoying. Where am I supposed to put my chapstick, hair tie, and pocket knife? For shoes I have an almost-worn-out pair of black Vans, or running shoes in the winter (or sometimes some furry Emu boots!), in the summer Keen or Betula sandals mostly.

I work for two different family law attorneys, but fortunately they also dress relatively casually unless they have to appear in court.  And of course, since Covid - very rare for clients to be in the office when I am there.  I also live in northern California, where we are generally less uptight than law firms in other places.  My favorite shoe wear are Aetrex sandals - I've got three pair that I alternate depending on the coloring in my outfit for the day.  Love, love, love them!  Also like my Clark's sandals but they are worn less since I discovered Aetrex.  I have one black dress (a simple sheath Michael Kors dress) for either dressy occasions or funerals, and two other printed dresses for spring or summer family occasions.  Other than that, it's either the Lands End or yoga pants for me.

• Upvote 7

@EmmieJ, you are correct about the Land's end pants being the Starfish line.  I'm wearing a olive green pair of Starfish right now.  Petites though and not crops.  I need to get a few other pairs.

Unfortunately, they stopped carrying their pin-tucked tunics.  They were relatively flattering for those of us who aren't as skinny as we used to be.  I've got enough to last a while, but it was a mistake to stop carrying them.  Vermont Country Store does have something similar and they have short-sleeve and sleeveless versions.

• Upvote 3

I realise I'm a bit late to this conversational party, but someone should tell Steve that historically, women's undies were open in the crotch. Only hussies wore closed knickers...... The split allowed respectable women to pee etc without having to *gasp* pull their undies down. You'd think that the closed undies would make it more difficult for the hussies to huss, too.  

I think Steve should be more appreciative of jeans.

Edited by Katzchen24
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 14

The Maxwells have done a post about NON-STICK FRYING PANS. Seriously, no1curr. Teri’s recommended a brand that isn’t Teflon.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

On 5/20/2021 at 7:06 AM, Bethy said:

I feel like that's not exactly well-hidden Maxlore. The tale of Steve weeping with sorrow after he accidentally saw down a church acquaintance's blouse was on either a blog post or a Dad's Corner (more likely the Corner, and probably one of the ones that it says "women, don't read this!" but I did anyway.) Plus the layering of shirts kind of gives it away. Although when I first started following them 10+ years ago, they were all about "we wear our jumpers ankle length, if we buy jumpers with slits we sew them shut" so calves were also verboten but they seem to have relaxed on that. Also they used to NEVER wear sandals (Teri had some toe-bumper hiking sandals in those days, which she wore with socks) which made me wonder if Steve was worked up about "toe cleavage" as well, but the gurks seem to wear flip-flops/sandals and go barefoot a good bit of the time on the blog now, so that must have been relaxed as well.

Lady must have worn contrasting buttons-

• Haha 8

@mango_fandango, I was about to report this mind-blowing and world-changing post, but I will eternally be grateful for your succinct observation “no1curr.” I will use it 4evr!

@SassyPants, Steve was too taken aback to mention whether the woman was wearing slutbuttons, but damn near burst into tears when she bent over and he caught a glimpse of cleavage. I seem to recall he was appalled that her husband didn’t do anything about it.

Steve has major sexual issues. As @Bethy pointed out, the Maxwomen’s clothing has morphed from frumpers to nearly normal in the past decade or so. I wonder whether it’s because he’s pushing 70 and his testosterone levels have dropped. (Dropping testosterone levels are my theory as to why Warren Beatty and George Clooney didn’t settle down until their 50s.) Poor Steve: all that testosterone and no practical ways of managing it.

Edited by Hane
  • Haha 11
  • Thank You 1

20 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

The Maxwells have done a post about NON-STICK FRYING PANS. Seriously, no1curr. Teri’s recommended a brand that isn’t Teflon.

Non stick frying pans?!  What will they think of next?!

Note to Steve:  If you let them read a book that isn't written in parables with numbered paragraphs once in a while they might have something interesting to blog about.  Just a thought.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4

The thing is that I bet some of their humpers will post stuff like “thank you Teri, I’ve been looking for alternatives to Teflon for ages!” 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

31 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I came here to say the same, these people make my day ? $88 dollars for one pan (lid extra) "Patented ceramic titanium nonstick cooking surface is impossible to scrape away, even with metal utensils" but some of their nonstick has worn away and they still recommend them ?  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

39 minutes ago, ClareDeLune said:

I came here to say the same, these people make my day ? $88 dollars for one pan (lid extra) "Patented ceramic titanium nonstick cooking surface is impossible to scrape away, even with metal utensils" but some of their nonstick has worn away and they still recommend them ?  

Oh FFS Maxwells....why, why, why are there two pics of the same pan, same angle.  You are talking about the non-stick features then show the inside of the pans!

And I have two similar ceramic pans, one of which I got for $7 from a thrift store with the lid....and it's still in great shape after 5 years of regular use.  

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
i do so know the difference between their and there, but my fingers don't
  • Upvote 9

My cheap Target nonstick Pan is doing just fine. No need to spend huge amounts of money. 

• Upvote 9

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My cheap Target nonstick Pan is doing just fine. No need to spend huge amounts of money. 

But have you taken bad pics of it to post with a tribute?  

Honestly, since I don't see anything on the post indicating it was an ad I think they are making an idol out of those pans.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

But have you taken bad pics of it to post with a tribute?  

Honestly, since I don't see anything on the post indicating it was an ad I think they are making an idol out of those pans.  

I’d have stuck with the Pepsi, and I don’t even drink soda.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

Maxwell enthusiasts, I feel like there has been a shift at the MaxBorg. Hear me out: in the olden days when they traveled, updating the blog was a pretty big and practical job. It has gotten painfully obvious to us that they have little or nothing to write about, but Sarah’s been stuck doing it. They’ve said they update three times a week and she’s tried to keep that going but it has to be just mind-numbing churning. Enter the concussion— it’s her out from the responsibility. I think we’ll see more from Terri and less from Sarah. And I wish I was a fly on the wall. 

• Upvote 14

I'll give the Maxwells a wondrous new thought.  They could update once a month on just family matters or they could simply let the blog die.

It was useful years ago when they were speaking, traveling, and peddling their wares.  Surely simply leaving it open for the few orders that they get now would be sufficient. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

8 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

Maxwell enthusiasts, I feel like there has been a shift at the MaxBorg. Hear me out: in the olden days when they traveled, updating the blog was a pretty big and practical job. It has gotten painfully obvious to us that they have little or nothing to write about, but Sarah’s been stuck doing it. They’ve said they update three times a week and she’s tried to keep that going but it has to be just mind-numbing churning. Enter the concussion— it’s her out from the responsibility. I think we’ll see more from Terri and less from Sarah. And I wish I was a fly on the wall. 

3 posts a week, 52 weeks a year, for years means a lot of work. And what does Sarah get out of it? I’m sure Steve doesn’t pay her. I doubt it’s her passion. It sure doesn’t come across that way. Look at all the blogging families that barely post once a month anymore. The Maxwells are one of the few blogging families to continuously keep blogging for years on end without breaks here and there. And that’s mostly because of Sarah. If she wants to step back, I say good for her. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Darn I was really hoping that they would do a post about the jug they serve lemonade in. Mine has started leaky but I don't want to buy an ungodly version.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13

8 minutes ago, jegfile said:

Darn I was really hoping that they would do a post about the jug they serve lemonade in. Mine has started leaky but I don't want to buy an ungodly version.

If you don't mind a recommendation from a heathen...

lemonade4.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

As soon as @mango_fandango said non-stick pan, I trotted off to Titus2, mumbling "please don't be scanpan, please don't be scanpan" 

Its scanpan. I love my scanpan. We don't use teflon because we have birds, but scanpan is ceramic, so we can even put it in the oven. 

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

As soon as @mango_fandango said non-stick pan, I trotted off to Titus2, mumbling "please don't be scanpan, please don't be scanpan" 

Its scanpan. I love my scanpan. We don't use teflon because we have birds, but scanpan is ceramic, so we can even put it in the oven. 

Two nearly identical pics showing no details of the pan or it didn't happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

BREAKING NEWS!!

TERI HAS POSTED ABOUT HER CHOICE OF NON-STICK PANS!! 

TO THE BLOG, EVERYONE! TO THE BLOG!

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 8

Poor Terri. Her table post went well so she was like ba-zinga, I’ll do this again with this pan. But as mentioned above she has to include the facts that they aren’t holding up that well, they’re $80 and don’t have lids, and they have no experience with the new version. Basically, a post that no one asked for, and isn’t a good endorsement. 

On the other hand I liked the table post. When we had five kids in the house our large one was routinely not big enough. Two people on each end?! Love. 

• Upvote 5

I have T-Fal pots & pans. 

Are they the best ever? No. But, I am one person, it's not like they are used in high volume. I've had them...about 8 years? or so. I think it was like a $150 for the whole set. They're still perfectly fine, no chipping, no peeling, no need to boil hot water to pick up residue. 

When I was married, for one Christmas my mom got me a set of Calphalon that was like $400. I did not like them. They peeled & chipped & had build up within a couple of years. They couldn't go in the dishwasher.  And then the ex used them in his games and intentionally used metal utensils (which we never had, he had to go out and buy them for just this purpose) and put them in the dishwasher. Everything that goes wrong under those circumstances did, and he knew they'd be ruined. I used them a couple of years after being on my own, but they were just awful. In all I think I had them 10 years. Even without the ex playing "let's damage everything that is hers" they wouldn't have lasted much longer and were showing pretty obvious signs of damage.

My T-Fal from Target are holding up better after 8 years than the Calphalon did in the first place,. And if they do get damaged enough to need replacing, they didn't cost and arm & a leg. 

Some things, I'm all for the whole "you get what you pay" thing and investing. Pots & pans is not one of those things, not after my experience with the pricier ones. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 6

On 5/18/2021 at 11:27 PM, CyborgKin said:

When will proper manly attire be back in fashion?

220px-After_Hans_Holbein_the_Younger_-_P

I think of this whenever Jll posts a photo of her in her white tights. Does she not know she is wearing that which pertaineth to a man? Or does she get a pass because the Kings James (VI and I) also wore them?

On 5/20/2021 at 7:06 AM, Bethy said:

Teri had some toe-bumper hiking sandals in those days, which she wore with socks) which made me wonder if Steve was worked up about "toe cleavage" as well, but the gurks seem to wear flip-flops/sandals and go barefoot a good bit of the time on the blog now, so that must have been relaxed as well.

"toe cleavage" hurr hurr hurr Actually you might be right about that. Keens sandals do work well for relatively short hikes, especially when the trail isn't terribly rough or you might have to wade through a stream.

New post up with Teri singing the praises of her non-stick pans. Just how she came up with this scripture to accompany the pan paean, I don't know

“For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father” (Romans 8:15).

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic