IGNORED

Royal Family of Sweden

viii

I thought we could start a general thread about the royal family of Sweden for those that are interested. 

https://people.com/royals/princess-sofia-sweden-gives-birth-third-child-baby-boy-prince-carl-philip/

Prince Carl Philip and his wife Sofia (who is such an underdog) welcomed their third son today. They have two older sons, Alexander (4) and Gabriel (3). This baby is the first child born since the King made changes to the royal family of slimming down the monarchy. He will be a prince but he will not be styled as HRH. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

I don't know too much about her, but I like what I do know. I know she has quite the scandalous past, but I think she's come so far since then and it shouldn't be held against her for the rest of her life. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I find her involvement with the hospital in the last months such an amazing work. Training and helping out with the „unglamorous“ work (cleaning, serving food...) so that the stuff has more time for other tasks is great. Pushing through in a pandemic while pregnant, might have not been my choice but it was probably very much appreciated. I was always surprised other royal families didn’t start something like this (the wessexs do now, but quite late into the game). Her past is definitely not an easy pill for traditionalists but she seems to deal ok with the criticism and just does her thing.

Victoria and Daniel are also doing a great job. I think from all heirs to the throne, she is the one with the biggest backing in her country (well deserved). She also has a great way of bringing big jewels and ball gowns. Together with Maxima, they should definitely offer a workshop to Kate, Mette, Letizia and some tips for Mary. But she can be very much hit&miss.

Madeleine and Chris are the “controversial” ones. Not quite Harry and Meghan level but they got so much flack. I wonder if their children with actually loose their place in the line of succession when not schooled in Sweden. 

Edited by just_ordinary
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I'd forgotten she was pregnant. Congrats to them! I've always like Sophia. She seems like a nice person. 

I don't know a ton about the Swedish royals, but the younger ones have always seemed to do well for themselves. 

• Upvote 1

They bridge the gap between traditional Royal and  modern monarchy expertly Especially Princess Victoria. She is both regal  and sophisticated as well as sporty, genuinely down to earth, hard working  and compassionate and seems to training Estelle (who is a complete Doll IMO) to be the same. Sweden could not be in better hands I think. 

On 3/26/2021 at 1:12 PM, just_ordinary said:

Madeleine and Chris are the “controversial” ones. Not quite Harry and Meghan level but they got so much flack. I wonder if their children with actually loose their place in the line of succession when not schooled in Sweden. 

I don’t know too much about them but this surprises me. Royal Dish paints Madeleine as the Second Coming. 

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

She is both regal  and sophisticated as well as sporty, genuinely down to earth, hard working  and compassionate 

But her fashion is so terrible ?

• Haha 1

Really? I think she rarely misses!  Her friend CP Mette Marit of Norway is  the one with horrible fashion Sense in my opinion ... she likes frilly expensive frumpers :)

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Royal Family of Sweden

Mette Marit has Pulmonary Fibrosis, or so I read in an article on a reputable site.  Yes, she loves pastel frills for sure.  Maxima is my favorite.

• Upvote 2

Yeah. And a very bad back. Because of this she is not as active as the other consorts. Maxima is lovely and so is Queen Mathilde of Belgium who incidentally  is one of only two noble  born Royal wives. 

The Tiny new Swedish meatball is named:

Julian Herbert Fulk count of Halland 

Sounds funny for a little baby but I am sure he will grow into it! 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Here he is, prince Julian Herbert Folke, Duke  of Halland.

Spoiler

20210328_201921.jpg.999d87d89f071f5fc00344ee4b176ce8.jpg

Photographer, Prince Carl Philip

Edited by Pink Muffin
Add photographer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

I’m impressed the Swedish royals fully embraced upending male primogeniture. Even though I’m not a fan of monarchy, I’m happy a woman will wear the crown. It sends a strong signal.

Poor Mette-Marit! That’s a horrible diagnosis; I had a friend who died of it. I love the way she broke barriers as a commoner and unwed mother. More of this type of royal, please.

• Upvote 3

There was a bit of controversy when the Swedish Parliament ended male primogeniture.

Due to how it had to be voted and approved, it was not officially law until after Victoria's younger brother was born.  So for a short while, he was the Crown Prince, but then Victoria became the Crown Princess. He was a baby, so it's not like he understood what was happening.  Their father the King was allegedly quoted as objecting to his son losing his place, since Carl Philip was alive before the law became official.  However, the legal process began before Carl Philip was born, so I'm not sure the quote is true.  

By all accounts, the King is very supportive today of the Crown Princess.  Carl Philip is enormously supportive of his sister as Crown Princess and future Queen. 

I would say that Madeleine is the least popular of the siblings in the Swedish tabloids.  I honestly don't know why.   I believe her children will be excluded from the succession*, and I think she and her husband are completely fine with it, as there is no chance their children will ever be working royals anyway.    

A famous interview of Madeleine and her husband Chris (it's mostly in English!) 

*(to be in succession they must be educated in Sweden.  The requirement isn't well defined- but her kids are in preschool and elementary school in Florida.)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pleiades_06 said:

I’m impressed the Swedish royals fully embraced upending male primogeniture. Even though I’m not a fan of monarchy, I’m happy a woman will wear the crown. It sends a strong signal.

Poor Mette-Marit! That’s a horrible diagnosis; I had a friend who died of it. I love the way she broke barriers as a commoner and unwed mother. More of this type of royal, please.

Don’t get too excited about that. Carl Gustav was very angry his son was passed over for his daughter and fought the government as much as a figure head can. 

I read MM has a slow moving type of Pulmonary Fibrosis so there is that but she is not a healthy person regardless of that... It’s pretty dreadful 

https://norwegianne.net/2013/11/16/crown-princess-mette-marits-history-of-ailments/

• Thank You 1

12 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Don’t get too excited about that. Carl Gustav was very angry his son was passed over for his daughter and fought the government as much as a figure head can. 

Yeah, he fought so hard for the change to take place for the next generation since Carl Philip had already been born but because the law had already been in the works before he was born, he was shut down. It's very obvious by his treatment of his children and grandchildren that CG very much wishes that CP was Crown Prince. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

The only European Royal houses to still have male preference primogeniture are Spain and Monaco. Queen Letizia is long done with having children so that’s an issue for the next generation but when Royal twins were  born in Monaco and the girl was first out but second in line no much seems interested in changing the succession laws. 

36 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

The only European Royal houses to still have male preference primogeniture are Spain and Monaco. Queen Letizia is long done with having children so that’s an issue for the next generation but when Royal twins were  born in Monaco and the girl was first out but second in line no much seems interested in changing the succession laws. 

Gabriella should be queen, it's such garbage that she's not. 

I was surprised that they announced she was born first, it would have been easier to just say Jacques was born first as the boy but I guess that wouldn't be medically accurate and might have eventually leaked. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I also expected a change in Monaco when Gabriella was born first. Hopefully in the next generation they’ll fix it.

• Upvote 2

It’s Japan they need to fix ASAP. One man  is going to be literally the whole monarchy if he never marries or just has girls. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

It’s Japan they need to fix ASAP. One man  is going to be literally the whole monarchy if he never marries or just has girls. 

They won't fix it until absolutely necessary. I assume they will employ the height of medical science to ensure there will be a male heir.

• Upvote 2

They most likely already did to get Prince Hisahito. There was a movement gathering strength to change the succession so Princess Aiko could become empress and all of a sudden 40 year old Princess Kiko who had not had a baby in 12 years gets pregnant and gives birth to a male... the first male in family in well over 40 year.  No need for discussion or legislation now! 

Hmm...

• Upvote 5