IGNORED

Joy & Austin 32: Living the Fundie Dream with Rifles, RVs & Babies

nelliebelle1197

9 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I think Joy may have had speech therapy. Her voice changed a lot between childhood and maturity. Listen to this clip: 

Maybe she had therapy but I assume when Josie was born that opened up a whole new world of help that the Duggars had never had. I wonder if more than just Josie benefitted from all the services she received. Even if none of the other kids had actual appointments for themselves, they may have learned things from being in the room when various therapists were working with Josie. I've met a lot of therapists who would unofficially work with family members for a few minutes when they were with the patient. It's possible a speech therapist gave her some pointers at one of Josie's appointments. 

Edited by Giraffe
clarifying
  • Upvote 7

I remember when my son was in preschool and my mom was like, “you should get him evaluated for his speech.” The school had already done speech screenings and they said he was fine. I had to show my mom the sheet that said it’s normal for 4 year olds to have trouble with certain sounds. My mom only remembered how my sister and I talked at that age. Our speech was really good from the start so that was her comparison. My older son eventually just grew out of his issue with a few sounds. He is fine with those sounds now. I’m trying to remember the sounds he had trouble with. I think it was sounds like “thr” and “str.” Those are kind of hard when you think about it. He also had a mild stutter that would come and go. It seemed to mostly come about when he was frustrated, anxious, or tired. Since it was so hit and miss, the speech screeners didn’t think he needed speech therapy. If he was calm, his stutter was nowhere to be found. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

My 26 month old isn’t talking yet. She responds to both English and French , loves books but has very few words. I requested a referral to a speech therapist but haven’t heard anything yet. I’m worried. She’s highly empathetic, talks and sings in her own language and figures things out so I don’t think she has cognitive delays but I am worried. 

• Love 17

I went to school with someone who needed speech he couldn’t say the “th” sound. He was the tallest kid in my class  & I think they thought he would grow out of it & he never did. His mother was a pre-school teacher & probably had to look out for speech issues yet she didn’t get him any help. As an adult I don’t understand why one of the teachers didn’t say anything. We are from a well off area that had a speech teacher who worked in the elementary schools. I still run into the speech teacher once in a while she’s such a nice person. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Expectopatronus said:

My 26 month old isn’t talking yet. She responds to both English and French , loves books but has very few words. I requested a referral to a speech therapist but haven’t heard anything yet. I’m worried. She’s highly empathetic, talks and sings in her own language and figures things out so I don’t think she has cognitive delays but I am worried. 

I’ve heard it takes bilingual kids longer to begin talking because they’re processing so much info. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 10

9 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

I’ve heard it takes bilingual kids longer to begin talking because they’re processing so much info. 

I heard that. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6168212/

Here’s an article from the national institute of health (usa) on bilingual children. I haven’t read the whole thing but it sounds interesting. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

My son was the same, and our pediatrician said he was probably trying to process it all (he is trilingual- one language with each parent, and the third is his "school" language, e.g. the language spoken where we live). She told us it was great that he responded/reacted to all 3 languages - like your daughter is responding. At some point, he started talking and now he doesn't shut up, in any language 😄 

His latest thing - at 4 years old- is he will speak with one parent in language 1 and then repeat/translate what was said to the other parent in language 2 - little show off :text-lol: 

Seriously, you know your child best, but listen to her doc and don't fall into the trap of comparing. I wanted to say don't worry but we know, as parents, that is impossible ;) 

Each kid is different. Mine, for example, refused to stand up or walk until he was 20 months old. Drove us crazy, we checked (upon doctor's recommendation) for any congenital hip/legs defect, we started him with physical therapy, with very minimal progress. One day, he was sitting down, stood up, and walked. Stunned us all. 

Edited by Shouldabeenacowboy
  • Upvote 10
  • Haha 4
  • Love 11

I hope that Joy taking Gideon to speech therapy indicates she is willing to prioritize quality over quantity. I’m not saying that she will stop at 2 kids but maybe 5-6. Even with Jessa I don’t see her having more than 7.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

42 minutes ago, BensAllergies said:

I hope that Joy taking Gideon to speech therapy indicates she is willing to prioritize quality over quantity. I’m not saying that she will stop at 2 kids but maybe 5-6. Even with Jessa I don’t see her having more than 7.

OT but everytime I see your avatar I think it's Alice from the Brady Bunch until my eyes focus and I can see it's Ben.

Anyone else see the resemblance?   Probably just me :) 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 1

49 minutes ago, BensAllergies said:

The fact that Austin’s dad had 2 kids with each wife seems kind of promising. Like she can look at Austin’s family and see the positives of only having 4 kids compared to 19. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

3 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I barely spoke til I was 3. Then just like, complete sentences, apparently fairly complex, I'm told. Before that I think I just cried a lot, at least according to my older brothers. 😁

Personally, I actually am on the spectrum, and have always tended to do things a little late and then all at once (So Much Internal Rehearsal,) but I think the bilingual aspect sounds like a reasonable idea. They say (I can't remember who, but more than one of them) that passive language is super important early on, so as you know she understands you well, she is probably doing just fine. I love that she has her own language. 

• Upvote 7

55 minutes ago, BensAllergies said:

After Annabel, I remember Joy saying that she thought that they would have around four kids. I think Joy was trying to process the idea that babymaking was not going to be an easy journey for her. After a successful pregnancy and birth with Evelyn, maybe she’s changing her mind about a bigger family, but I still see the Forsyths with around four.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

I have a friend who was born and raised in Pakistan speaking Urdu at home and English at school. She and her family moved to the US in her late teens and has now lived here over twenty years. Her brother married a woman from Pakistan and they were only speaking Urdu to their kids. When their daughter started preschool (in the US) they neglected to tell the preschool that she only spoke Urdu. The teacher told her mother that the daughter was only speaking “gibberish.” My friend’s kids, high schoolers, refused to learn any Urdu growing up.

• Sad 1
  • WTF 1

5 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

Don't worry! My twin brother was the same (speech was the only thing I beat him in development) because my parents spoke english and their native language to us. He got therapy by like 3 and by 5 it was such a difference! I think he kept with it till we graduated high school but the growth was absolutely amazing! I would speak for him too though which I think learning now it could have assisted in slowing his speech?

• Upvote 2

I think being bilingual is wonderful. Where my mother worked they had a Hebrew immersion class. One year I subbed in that class a lot. Of the kids in that class one kid’s mother was Israeli & he knew the language already he was also very fluent in English because his father only spoke English & the kid had no issue with going back & forth between the 2 languages. Their were a few kids in that class who were probably going to private Jewish schools & those schools start Hebrew in kindergarten.  Their were a few kids (I knew of one of the kids families) who weren’t going to continue with Hebrew but for whatever reason their parents signed them up for that class. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 3

I’m starting to wonder if maybe most, if not all of them, are realizing how much attention, parenting, nurturing each child requires and deserves. I wonder how much the lack of easy money from the show factors into the slowing down of reproduction? Anna was on a 2 year cycle, which will now end, and likely for many years. Yes, the Seewalds have had 4 (in 5 pregnancies) in 7 years of marriage. Joe and Kendra had a baby a year for 3 years. Maybe she is due to have another, who knows. Joy, Jill and Jinger have had 2, and perhaps are slowing their reproduction. I’m not seeing anyone having double digits. Heck, the teen Justin doesn’t have any, and good for them. All the married couples with children have to realize that 19 children in one family, and more importantly, how they were parented is beyond absurd.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

barely spoke til I was 3. Then just like, complete sentences, apparently fairly complex, I'm told. Before that I think I just cried a lot, at least according to my older brothers. 😁

Personally, I actually am on the spectrum, and have always tended to do things a little late and then all at once (So Much Internal Rehearsal,) but I think the bilingual aspect sounds like a reasonable idea. They say (I can't remember who, but more than one of them) that passive language is super important early on, so as you know she understands you well, she is probably doing just fine. I love that she has her own language. 

Youngest kid spoke his own language until he was probably 3-ish. Itty-Bitty does the same thing. The only understandable word for her is NO!!! Youngest kid was not bilingual b/c his sperm donor was absolutely opposed to speaking Spanish. He was/is a racist fuck but Karma has nailed him. His son is 1/4 Latino, his grandson is 1/2 black. Itty-Bitty is spoken to in English and Mongolian. She's not even 2 yet so we'll see what happens. 

• Love 8

17 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

All the married couples with children have to realize that 19 children in one family, and more importantly, how they were parented is beyond absurd.

I do wonder how many of the girls resent their upbringing. Maybe not in a way that they can articulate, but they realise that being a mum to their younger siblings was unfair and they're not going to lay it on their own children, and if that means keeping their family within the acceptable bounds of large families, then that's what they'll do.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, rosamundi said:

I do wonder how many of the girls resent their upbringing. Maybe not in a way that they can articulate, but they realise that being a mum to their younger siblings was unfair and they're not going to lay it on their own children, and if that means keeping their family within the acceptable bounds of large families, then that's what they'll do.

Or that ALL of them, both the male and female G2 Duggars, realize that having child after child is no indication that a couple cherishes children more than a couple with 1,2 or 3 kids. In fact, having large numbers of children could actually mean that each one is less cherished, special, unique etc…We know that the Duggars and others trained individuality out of their children and treated them as merely a monolith. Between Gothardism and the limitations and constraints placed by the large number of children and only 2 parents, the Duggar children were set up for failure. I hope the next generation does not continue the destructive ways.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

28 minutes ago, rosamundi said:

Jill probably is the one who understands it the most. She seems to be enjoying life with just her boys. I wouldn't be surprised to see her and Derick have maybe 2 more, looking for that elusive girl, but since the boys are getting older and more independent, they may decide to stay with just the 2. 

Jessa is J'shelle 2. She'll hit double digits, so will Kendra. JD and Abbie may have one more. Jinger may have one or two more, IF it fits Jeremee's plans. The little girls might go procreation crazy mostly because they only remember the TTH, the $$ and how the older ones started marrying and leaving. But, then again, maybe not. Time will tell. 

• Upvote 4

Oh man I had completely forgotten until now. My oldest son talked like Ned Flanders when he was around 2 or 3. It’s hard to explain. He would just say made up rhyming words like Ned’s “okily dokily.” It was so cute! My youngest talked early and he had an elf voice. So damn cute I could hardly stand it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh man I had completely forgotten until now. My oldest son talked like Ned Flanders when he was around 2 or 3. It’s hard to explain. He would just say made up rhyming words like Ned’s “okily dokily.” It was so cute! My youngest talked early and he had an elf voice. So damn cute I could hardly stand it. 

That’s adorable that your son sounded like Ned Flanders!  

• Upvote 1

Anna is still on the baby train.  Josh managed to time scandal 1 & 2 to not interfere with Anna's baby schedule (M5 arrived bang on time post other scandals, M6 and M7 were on also when expected) .  The only reason Anna is going to be paused after M7 is because Josh is in jail and thus there will be a few years on inability.  Depending on Josh's sentence and if he doesn't decide to leave her after jail (which he might, he clearly doesn't believe the religious crap he spews), Anna will want M8 and M9.  It will depend on her fertility.

Jessa seems to be on the baby train.  As does Joe and Kendra.

Jinger and Jill have both admitted to birth control.  Josiah and JD also seem to be using it due to the timings of their 2nd child.  I don't think Abbie's announced a 2nd pregnancy yet, though there are rumours that Lauren is very pregnant now (there will be at least 2 years between 1 & 2).

Meanwhile since Gideon's birth, Joy has gone through hell.  She's had a still birth, which will have had to make her thing about future babies and would have affected her emotions with her pregnancy with Annabelle.  She's also sat through a Josh's trial.  She alone of the sisters was in court every day (I know Jill wasn't allowed as potential witness, but Jill's views were already changed pre trial).  She listened as a close family friend detailed the conversations about what happened in that house and to her and how her parents covered it up.  She went home every night to her own boy and girl children.  Things have changed for her since her marriage.

Austin's family clearly have no problem with birth control.

Honestly while I wouldn't be surprised if Joy had more children, I would be shocked if she had loads more and didn't control fertility in some way in the future.  She also already has one of each, so there's no need to try for girl/boy.

• Upvote 10

• Coconut Flan locked this topic