IGNORED

Joy & Austin 32: Living the Fundie Dream with Rifles, RVs & Babies

nelliebelle1197

5 minutes ago, imokit said:

I don't know about the US, but in the UK there are a million nasty non covid viruses going on at the moment.  I know lots of people missing work over the last few weeks due to being sick, but very few of them had covid.  All the usual winter stuff went away for a while due to covid precautions affecting them too, now they're back and people have less immunity to them so they're seeking revenge!

It’s happening in the US too. My son currently has a cold. The only good thing about being locked down was the complete lack of colds. Even though my kids wear masks at school, they can still spread some germs around. 

• Upvote 3

I haven’t had a cold in two years. I’m back working in the office full time, but everyone is fully vaccinated for COVID and we all wear masks except when sitting alone in an office with the door closed. I commute using public transit , masks required and 99% are compliant. I also go to the gym a few times a week, masks required. Hoping to keep the cold-free train running for as long as possible… I will happily wear a mask on public transit for ever and ever if it means fewer colds.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s happening in the US too. My son currently has a cold. The only good thing about being locked down was the complete lack of colds. Even though my kids wear masks at school, they can still spread some germs around. 

I call my toddler granddaughter Our Lady of Perpetual Green Snot. She is patient zero for the rest of us.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 20
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Pibblesmiles said:

When my kids were in n elementary school, our friends called them the Plague Mites.

Oh Rufus, I have another cold. They are plague mites!

• Upvote 3

The F’s are in TX. The noise level in that house has to be in the unhealthy range, especially for babies (not sure if there are babies in attendance). What a miserable setting! Hope it’s warm enough for outside activities.

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

The F’s are in TX. The noise level in that house has to be in the unhealthy range, especially for babies (not sure if there are babies in attendance). What a miserable setting! Hope it’s warm enough for outside activities.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? It was noisy, but no more than a daycare or large family gathering would be.

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

What? It looked and sounded like any big  family holiday gathering with lots of kids. The house they all rented looked great - huge kitchen, cute bedrooms…what are you seeing? 

• Upvote 3

The noise…daycare situation? Yikes. Personally, I don’t find that atmosphere relaxing. I’ve said it many times, I would have been out of mind in any fundie home. Nope-

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

The noise…daycare situation? Yikes. Personally, I don’t find that atmosphere relaxing. I’ve said it many times, I would have been out of mind in any fundie home. Nope-

I also hate a bunch of noise, but their family gathering looks small to the ones I had to endure in my childhood. My aunt and uncle own a four bedroom mountain cabin with an adjacent barn that has a converted apartment above it and for Thanksgiving they’d cram 30ish people between the two spaces and some people would sleep in their campers as well. There was always a kid or animal underfoot and people would sit all over the couches and floor to watch Thanksgiving football. I was always chaotic but I remember it fondly despite my needing to go outside for some fresh air and me time everyday. I don’t think I’d be able to do a Thanksgiving like that anymore, but as a kid and teen, I loved it. 

• Upvote 5

When OneKid was in daycare I was convinced children were Petri dishes with legs.  

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

When OneKid was in daycare I was convinced children were Petri dishes with legs.  

I don't remember how it came up, but once my dental hygienist told me about when their oldest child started pre-school, her husband caught cold after cold for almost 6 months. She didn't get sick at all (probably helps that she spends most of her days with her face masked), those pre-school germs were easily defeated by her immune system. 

• Upvote 4

The house has a pool and the little ones were swimming and hanging out around the pool. There were parents in attendance. Last month my SIL’s 3 YO nephew was a near drowning at a family party with lots of little kids and parents in attendance. He took his water wings off to use the restroom and jumped back into the pool upon his return outside. His uncle is a firefighter and started CPR immediately. He will likely have life long neurological deficits. Of course the family is devastated. My own nephew did the same into my pool many years ago. I witnessed it and jumped in to rescue him. He was 18 months old. Sadly, the Duggars are not known for safety.

• Sad 15
  • Love 8

I grew up in a large extended family and the loud, crazy family holidays are some of my most treasured memories but I remember that I was always happy to go back to my quiet house (I am an only child) when the holidays were over but I loved the noise, the good, hanging out with my cousins. 

• Upvote 4

On 11/24/2021 at 8:11 PM, onekidanddone said:

When my oldest was 2.5 and my youngest was a baby, I needed a break. So I started the 2.5 year old in early preschool a couple days a week. After 2 months I had to pull him. He was sick for 2 months straight and it was the summer. Not cold and flu season. Hand foot and mouth was the final straw. I waited until he was 3.5 (almost 4) to start preschool. He still got sick, but thankfully it was mostly colds. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When my oldest was 2.5 and my youngest was a baby, I needed a break. So I started the 2.5 year old in early preschool a couple days a week. After 2 months I had to pull him. He was sick for 2 months straight and it was the summer. Not cold and flu season. Hand foot and mouth was the final straw. I waited until he was 3.5 (almost 4) to start preschool. He still got sick, but thankfully it was mostly colds. 

I know someone where the entire family has probably caught COVID from her younger brother visiting. They didn’t know until he got tested at school and returned a positive test as all of her family has been sick almost nonstop since June when her youngest child started kindergarten. 
My youngest is definitely bringing the most bugs home, followed by my middle child and the oldest brings the least home.  Once they hit tweens/teens, the urge to lick every surface and cough in each other’s faces seems to have passed! Thank Rufus!!! I truly love my kids, but they can be so gross 🤢 

On 11/25/2021 at 2:11 PM, onekidanddone said:

Germ distribution units is what I tend to call mine (lovingly 😇)

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

During Covid nursery drop-off was one at a time via an external door, but now the restrictions are relaxed we can go into a private courtyard which the nursery building looks onto. There are lots of floor-to-ceiling windows and a glazed door, and the little kids all press their hands and faces against the glass to see out.

NOW I understand why they're constantly sick. It's the glass that's the petri dish. One child will smear saliva and snot over the glass, then another will come along and lick it off and contribute their own in a wonderful pandemic-y merry-go-round 🤢

• Disgust 8

God bless all you parents of littles. When mine were tiny I worked every T, Th, Fri and every other Saturday and Sunday (32 hours/wk). And you can bet I prayed that no one my son as my girl was never sick, showed signs of illness on a Wednesday night as that would likely involve missing 2 days of work  or finding someone else to help. 

• Upvote 3

I want to cast my vote for referring to kids as walking germ banks. My 23 month old LOVES her daycare, comes home covered with paint, markers etc and gets cold after cold. I wouldn’t pull her (I have to work and I like that she plays with lots of kids, gets filthy, and can sort objects based on characteristics) but wow is she giving me viruses! She’s in a faith-based daycare so they have a Christmas Concert coming up the week after her second birthday. 19 toddlers all singing and dancing; it should be an absolute hoot! 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

28 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Today, I had to stop my daughter from eating a grimy quarter she found in the car.

The tears were epic.

I pulled a live beetle out of my daughter's mouth 🤢🤮

My son licked the dogs nose 😆

Edited by Skyline
  • Haha 15

This is why I’m planning on putting any future kids at a childminder. Less germs to be exposed to, as there will only be a couple of other kids, but will still train their immune system for nursery at age 3 or 4. 

My daughter tried to kiss an anole lizard.  It bit her lip and a bit of her face.  She went to school with a red diamond shape on her face.  I wrote a note explaining what happened.  Got a call from the school nurse saying she had called the school doctor and that there wasn't anything she could catch from a lizard.  Well, I already figured that out.  SMH.

• Haha 8

I've told this one before, but did you know that ladybugs can be digested and still look exactly the same? My youngest taught me that. We had a ladybug issue and she ate several. And, well, they came out the other end perfectly intact. 🤢

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 7
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 6

21 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

This is why I’m planning on putting any future kids at a childminder. Less germs to be exposed to, as there will only be a couple of other kids, but will still train their immune system for nursery at age 3 or 4. 

I love the concept (that’s what my parent did before kindergarten started and we even went after kindergarten till they finished work. We still have loose contact and she was the best). We will look into it this time as last time we couldn’t for several reasons.
Sadly it’s s bit of a gamble germ wise still. We did the whole nursery thing from 13 months on. Colds, colds, colds all year round. When we switched to kindergarten at 3 the same plus a small stomach bug for 24h (great fun when I cought it and first thought I was blessed with really BAD morning sickness. Only made the connection when I didn’t have to visit the bathroom every hour anymore). So all in all nothing out of the ordinary. 
Our neighbours son goes to a childminder and he caught Hand-Mouth-Foot there. It sounded like a massive nightmare. 
I think it also depends on the society. Here children stay home with a temperature or even with an obvious cold. Your paediatrician will write a note and one parent just hands it in, either at work or the health insurance so they get financially compensated for the time they are off work to take care of their child and we don’t loose any free days over it (holidays because we don’t have any set numbers of sick days. We are just sick as much as we are- only after six weeks certain things get into motion). So children are less likely to be in childcare even with mild colds. They still manage to spread enough. 
I think it is changing though. It feels like it’s mostly colds nowadays, while it was lots of stomach bugs, lice or middle ear infections some years ago. Measles is finally thankfully a required vaccination before they are allowed to go to a public (or maybe any authorised) childcare situation. Sad that it had to take lots of severe cases (involving babies and adults), even more sad that it had to get that far at all.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic