IGNORED

Joy & Austin 32: Living the Fundie Dream with Rifles, RVs & Babies

nelliebelle1197

3 minutes ago, Cupcake79 said:

Joy isn’t the only one in the family who’s not tiny. In fact I’d say Jinger is the only one who’s rather slim. Well maybe Jana too. Jill and also Jessa seem to me fairly normal, not the kind that bounce back immediately after giving birth. When I think about it, is even Michelle tiny/thin? 

I agree. And before Jeremy entered the picture, Jinger wasn’t overly slim either. This is not to say any of them are overweight because they aren’t. They are all average proportion wise. Some are taller/bigger than others. Now the Bates have some tinier gals (Katie, Josie, Carlin). 

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 2

Wasn’t Joy on Jill’s buddy team? It’ll be interesting to see how the younger kids turn out and if there are patterns with buddy teams.

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Wasn’t Joy on Jill’s buddy team? It’ll be interesting to see how the younger kids turn out and if there are patterns with buddy teams.

Yes, she was.  Jill had Joy, James and Jennifer. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, HeartsAFundie said:

Yes, she was.  Jill had Joy, James and Jennifer. 

What’s sad is that I could easily see JB cutting off contact between Jill and Jenny because of their rift. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 5

On 8/12/2022 at 12:57 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

What’s sad is that I could easily see JB cutting off contact between Jill and Jenny because of their rift. 

I think he already has.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 5
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Photo of Evy and Gideon with Layla from Carlin’s IG since Joy doesn’t post much. I haven’t seen Gideon in glasses before. I’ve seen one picture of Garrett Duggar in glasses too awhile back. I don’t recall any of the Duggars wearing glasses as kids.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7496dc3260e1735488ff94747df53d86.png

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

30 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Photo of Evy and Gideon with Layla from Carlin’s IG since Joy doesn’t post much. I haven’t seen Gideon in glasses before. I’ve seen one picture of Garrett Duggar in glasses too awhile back. I don’t recall any of the Duggars wearing glasses as kids.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.7496dc3260e1735488ff94747df53d86.png

I thought Joy had glasses. She's the only one I remember and I don't think she wore them the way she should.

• Upvote 11

8 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I thought Joy had glasses. She's the only one I remember and I don't think she wore them the way she should.

I didn’t remember Joy having them when she was young, but now I’m remembering Jennifer getting glasses and not being happy about it.

• Upvote 8

Is Evy in this pic the most appropriately dressed female Duggar toddler?  She's actually wearing clothes which are appropriate for the weather, and appropriate for toddler activities such as climbing, playing and getting messy.  Her hair's even up and out the way from both tangles and her eyes.

I've seen Ivy in trousers but they're normally the monochrome bleah things Jessa dresses all her kids in, not fun looking play clothes.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

Absolutely anecdotal- but I’m noticing a lot more really little kids in glasses over the last couple of years. It seems like it used to be fairly unusual to see kids under 7 - 9 ish in glasses, but now it seems really common. And I don’t think it’s just seeing more photos of random kids overall due to social media. And it doesn’t seem like it would be due to more frequent eye exams - I’m noticing it just really recently - last 2 years, when if anything kids likely had fewer routine exams due to Covid. Several little kids in my family/social circle. Anyone else? 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Jenny had glasses when she was younger. I wonder if she wears contacts now. I would bet Josie might need them.

• Upvote 4

I have worn glasses since I was 8 years old. I know someone (we are the same age) she had crossed eyes & has been wearing glasses she was 4. 

@Mama Mia The eye testing for toddlers is better now, relying on electronic measurements instead of the doctor's opinion (or school problems). The identification and treatment for lazy eyes is now recommended earlier, which eliminates the issues in most children before it requires 8 hours a day of patching or surgery. Also, many optometrists were trained to believe that young children are more impaired by the struggle to keep glasses on than the struggle to see, which is... stupid. 

Edited by J'Lurker
  • Upvote 17

3 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Absolutely anecdotal- but I’m noticing a lot more really little kids in glasses over the last couple of years. It seems like it used to be fairly unusual to see kids under 7 - 9 ish in glasses, but now it seems really common. And I don’t think it’s just seeing more photos of random kids overall due to social media. And it doesn’t seem like it would be due to more frequent eye exams - I’m noticing it just really recently - last 2 years, when if anything kids likely had fewer routine exams due to Covid. Several little kids in my family/social circle. Anyone else? 

when my youngest sibling got glasses about 8 years ago when she was about 5, the optician said that a lot of kids use their eyes way more for close-up stuff and don't have much opportunity to work on their longer sight - looking at things at a distance - as they tend to be indoors looking at screens rather than... running about in fields? idk. My sister got glasses and still has a prescription but at the time they also advised taking more walks outdoors and doing things that would encourage her to look at things a distance away as opposed to books and screens (she's a big reader and lived in a very small apartment).

I don't know if this is generally agreed upon but it does kind of scan. 30 years ago you'd probably get your kids out of the way by chucking them out of the house to play outside; these days video games and TV achieve the same goal.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

I have worn glasses since I was 8 years old. I know someone (we are the same age) she had crossed eyes & has been wearing glasses she was 4. 

This is me 🤓 I got them when I was 3 I believe due to a crossed eye. I HATED them as a kid- I was definitely the only kid I knew with glasses and I hated how it made me stand out.  I got contacts when I was around 12 and I was much happier. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

My mom got her glasses at age 5 in 1960. She was definitely the only one in her class with them. I’m sure she barely saw anything clearly before age 5. She should have had glasses as a baby but they didn’t really make baby glasses back then. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

Could the glasses be Joy's glasses, and Gid is just trying them on? 

they don`t sit on the bridge of his nose, but rather his cheeks, so I think they`re Joy`s

• Upvote 1

My younger son got glasses when he was 5 and he was the first in his class to have them - it didn’t bother him too much thankfully. We didn’t ever have problems with him not wanting to wear them and I think he enjoyed being able to see properly. I felt so guilty that we didn’t pick up on how bad his eyesight was, but because he didn’t know what was normal he didn’t ever say anything. 

• Upvote 2

I did a quick search and the glasses Joy wore in a recent photo look different that the ones her son is wearing. Even photos of previous glasses she wore don’t seem to match up.

Spoiler

30ACFCBB-1596-4F04-B5C1-C5679C3174F3.jpeg

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, adidas said:

My younger son got glasses when he was 5 and he was the first in his class to have them - it didn’t bother him too much thankfully. We didn’t ever have problems with him not wanting to wear them and I think he enjoyed being able to see properly. I felt so guilty that we didn’t pick up on how bad his eyesight was, but because he didn’t know what was normal he didn’t ever say anything. 

That’s great. I once worked with someone who’s granddaughter at age 4 needed glasses. The first person who noticed a problem was her pre-school teacher. The teacher mentioned that she would hold things up to her face in order to see more clearly. My co-workers daughter-in-law took her to get her eyes checked & sure enough she needed glasses. She said her daughter-in-law wasn’t surprised because she also needed glasses at a young age. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JillyO said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChyBUHAJOeC/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Joy just posted this picture to IG and Jill commented “Gideon and his little glasses are so cute”, so they are definitely his own rather than Joy’s. 

in that case, this is a great sign that Joy is paying attention to her son, gets him the appropriate expert care, and is willing/able to spend money on things to help him (I don't know where eye stuff falls under US insurance/what insurance she has) 

The bar should not be this low, of course, every child should have glasses and any other aid they might require to conduct their lives... but this kind of parental attentiveness wasn't always to be expected during Joy's childhood so props to her for doing better than the model for parenting that she had. Austin's experience as a child of a more typically-sized family probably helps. It's clear that Austin and Joy draw a lot of pleasure and enjoyment from their children and give them lots of attention, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they notice when Gideon or Evy need something, but this kind of one-on-one parenting is not what Joy grew up with and it makes me happy that she's taken to it rather than struggling to know how to engage.

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

in that case, this is a great sign that Joy is paying attention to her son, gets him the appropriate expert care, and is willing/able to spend money on things to help him (I don't know where eye stuff falls under US insurance/what insurance she has) 

The bar should not be this low, of course, every child should have glasses and any other aid they might require to conduct their lives... but this kind of parental attentiveness wasn't always to be expected during Joy's childhood so props to her for doing better than the model for parenting that she had. Austin's experience as a child of a more typically-sized family probably helps. It's clear that Austin and Joy draw a lot of pleasure and enjoyment from their children and give them lots of attention, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they notice when Gideon or Evy need something, but this kind of one-on-one parenting is not what Joy grew up with and it makes me happy that she's taken to it rather than struggling to know how to engage.

I find the comment Joy made about her kids on the IG post quite interesting: “I am loving this stage and their ages!”

She is enjoying life as a wife and mom knowing that living the Duggar herd life—-one among so many, neglected, lost in the crowd—-is behind her. She’s youthful and attractive and people always respond favorably to a young mom like that out and about with her kids. She’s basking in that positive feedback.

And “loving this stage and their ages” is so so so much more than Michelle ever did as a mother. All Michelle was interested in was the production of kids. It was only about the attention she could get because of her fertility. Beyond that, her parenting skills malfunctioned.

Joy seems to be absorbing the moments of her kids’s lives and enjoying them without feeling like she better hurry up and get pregnant again to fulfill some religious obligation to (over)populate the world. She’s giving herself space to be a mom. She’s present for her kids. She allowing her life to be manageable. Imagine that. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic