IGNORED

Joy & Austin 32: Living the Fundie Dream with Rifles, RVs & Babies

nelliebelle1197

Since my SO found out he is lactose intolerant, we can only order from chains because they are the only ones here that offer the possibility of vegan cheese instead of normal cheese. 
In Utrecht, the closest city to where we live (but can't order from cause it's too far away), there is actually a great vegan/veggie italian restaurant, called Vegitalian, and their pizzas are delicious. Whenever we get the chance, we get a pizza there. Their No Pepperoni is *chef's kiss*.

• Upvote 9

9 hours ago, Marly said:

Since my SO found out he is lactose intolerant, we can only order from chains because they are the only ones here that offer the possibility of vegan cheese instead of normal cheese. 
In Utrecht, the closest city to where we live (but can't order from cause it's too far away), there is actually a great vegan/veggie italian restaurant, called Vegitalian, and their pizzas are delicious. Whenever we get the chance, we get a pizza there. Their No Pepperoni is *chef's kiss*.

I've given up on the vegan cheeses. I only order pizza without cheese, even at places that offer a vegan option. I just can't enjoy the texture of any of the ones I've found. And here it's the opposite, most chains don't even have a vegan cheese option, it's mostly only found at local places. 

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

I've given up on the vegan cheeses. I only order pizza without cheese, even at places that offer a vegan option. I just can't enjoy the texture of any of the ones I've found. And here it's the opposite, most chains don't even have a vegan cheese option, it's mostly only found at local places. 

That's how I eat all pizza.  I hate cheese so I take it off and one of the kids eats it.  For me it's all about crust and sauce.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That's how I eat all pizza.  I hate cheese so I take it off and one of the kids eats it.  For me it's all about crust and sauce.  

My husband has a gluten intolerance, so we joke we're the only couple in the world that would split a pizza horizontally. I'll take the crust and half the toppings, he'll take the cheese and the other half of the toppings. But realistically we just get two totally separate pizzas, because I don't want a GF crust and he wants ALL the cheese. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, OHFL2009 said:

a couple of years ago, I was worried I was lactose intolerant (turned out to be something very different). I didn't mind the soy yogurts but I could not handle non-dairy cheese. Yuck! I tried different ones. The almond cheese had no flavor and that one brand Diaya tasted like feet. If I couldn't have cheese, I would probably order a pizza without any and load up on veggies instead. 

1 hour ago, OHFL2009 said:

My husband has a gluten intolerance, so we joke we're the only couple in the world that would split a pizza horizontally. I'll take the crust and half the toppings, he'll take the cheese and the other half of the toppings. But realistically we just get two totally separate pizzas, because I don't want a GF crust and he wants ALL the cheese. 

A place by me has take and bake personal pizzas that have a cauliflower/brown rice crust. We had them one day for dinner and they were really good. The place that we get them from doesn't charge per veggie, you can add as many as you want. No meat but a light sprinkling of cheese if you want. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

a couple of years ago, I was worried I was lactose intolerant (turned out to be something very different). I didn't mind the soy yogurts but I could not handle non-dairy cheese. Yuck! I tried different ones. The almond cheese had no flavor and that one brand Diaya tasted like feet. If I couldn't have cheese, I would probably order a pizza without any and load up on veggies instead. 

Diaya reformulated and every once in a while I'll make a grilled cheese with it, but there's a very small window to eat it between "hot lava scalding my mouth" and "congealing to squishy plastic." But I've found nothing that works on pizza. At least the ice cream options are good. That's far more vital to my overall happiness. 

• Upvote 8

The only vegan cheese I've ever liked was an herbed spread type made from cashews. I don't remember the brand. But it was a very small container that sold for $8 or something ridiculous. I'm not vegan but lived with someone who was sort of vegan when sober (she ate all the cheese and gelatin candies when drunk).

• Upvote 7

There are (maybe used to be, it was 20 years ago) old school pizza places in Rhode Island where a "plain" pizza is just crust and sauce.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Any body can make him a sandwich, but only YOU can order Pizza for him

Well...unless you're Terri Maxwell. Then you have to pray and pray and pray that Stevehovah remembers to order pizza like he promised to. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 16

On dairy-free cheese. There is a cookbook called The Uncheese Cookbook, in which there is a recipe for soy mozzarella. It uses soy yogurt (Silk finally makes a plain one). Blows away any store-bought shit. No weird after taste, no chemically coating in your mouth. See attached image for recipe.

image.jpg

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 5

51 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Well...unless you're Terri Maxwell. Then you have to pray and pray and pray that Stevehovah remembers to order pizza like he promised to. :pb_rollseyes:

Now that you are using the pizza cutter for lettuce, how are we going to cut the pizza?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13

Lactose intolerant here almost 39 years now. Lactaid is a godsend and now you can get yogurt, cheeses, milk, ice cream, sour cream, cream cheese all lactose free. I have been waiting almost all my life for these products, well since I was 17 anyway :)

Edited by Smoochie
  • Upvote 16

7 hours ago, keen23 said:

There are (maybe used to be, it was 20 years ago) old school pizza places in Rhode Island where a "plain" pizza is just crust and sauce.

Pizza Squares!  They were a staple at most family functions I attended.  Pizza squares are very popular in the Fall River MA area as well, which borders Rhode Island and is home to two rivaling Italian bakeries/sandwich shops that sell them.   Here's a recipe I found for them:  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/231060/rhode-island-style-pizza-strips-aka-bakery-pizza/ 

image.thumb.png.cff0b7f5594f83b60fa58349667c6a74.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

@Denim Jumper Do you have a recipe for dairy, soy and nut-free cheese? I’m anaphylactic to tree nuts and my daughter is allergic to dairy and soy. She really likes the Boursin dairy free that uses coconut but I haven’t found a cheddar or mozzarella that she eats. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

@Denim Jumper Do you have a recipe for dairy, soy and nut-free cheese? I’m anaphylactic to tree nuts and my daughter is allergic to dairy and soy. She really likes the Boursin dairy free that uses coconut but I haven’t found a cheddar or mozzarella that she eats. 

Found these but not tried and not recommending

https://zardyplants.com/recipes/soy-free-nut-free-vegan-cheese-sauce/https://detoxinista.com/vegan-cheese-sauce/

https://makeitdairyfree.com/nut-free-soy-free-vegan-cream-cheese/

• Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't shoot me for saying this, but I think Joy is pregnant again. I'm basing this off of the fact she has been wearing her glasses a lot lately, and she always breaks those out especially in early pregnancy.

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

Don't shoot me for saying this, but I think Joy is pregnant again. I'm basing this off of the fact she has been wearing her glasses a lot lately, and she always breaks those out especially in early pregnancy.

interesting! I could see if she's feeling like rubbish she wouldn't have energy to deal with lenses.

I'd be disappointed (but not shocked, because cult) if she was. I really see waiting for baby #3 as being a potentially defining moment in how likely they are to be choosing a different way of life. You marry and can finally have sex and becoming a parent is such a status symbol in their circles, so baby #1 comes along fast. You love your kid, and they are so portable and sleep so much that more seems reasonably doable, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to go against the cult ideas and before you know it #2 is on the way. But then you have a toddler and a baby and you can't just rest/be productive during nap times because the toddler is still awake. And the toddler isn't just a passive little potato happy to sit in a capsule, they are rapidly becoming a little person with likes, dislikes, interests, quirks. They demand attention. So not only are things getting much harder, but you also see how you are able to spend time nurturing #1, teaching them things, stimulating their curiosity of the world. Even with only two children, you worry if you'll have the time and energy to do all the things for #2 that you currently do for #1, nevermind numbers #3-19. I feel like post second baby is a point where a couple might re-evaluate if BC (especially non-hormonal) is really the be-all-and-end-all to what god wants for them.

I know Joy and Austin are very conservative, but I was kind of hoping with him having come from a smaller family and seeming to want to be quite hands-on with his own kids he might exert his headship over their family planning.

Edited by baldricks_turnip
additional thought
  • Upvote 24

5 hours ago, baldricks_turnip said:

interesting! I could see if she's feeling like rubbish she wouldn't have energy to deal with lenses.

Pregnancy can also affect vision. If she has dry eyes while she's pregnant (just for example), contacts might be uncomfortable to wear.

https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/pregnancy-and-vision

ETA--I have no opinion on whether she's pregnant or not. She might be. Schrödinger's womb and all that. :pb_wink:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
eta
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Pregnancy can also affect vision. If she has dry eyes while she's pregnant (just for example), contacts might be uncomfortable to wear.

https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/pregnancy-and-vision

ETA--I have no opinion on whether she's pregnant or not. She might be. Schrödinger's womb and all that. :pb_wink:

I can be a source for this.  I have astigmatism and needed a new Rx for my glasses every pregnancy.  It's due to retaining more fluid and it changes the curve of the cornea.  (astigmatism is a corneal waviness (for lack of a better word before coffee) and when you have more fluid it makes your vision wonky.

My vision going weird was one of my earliest signs of pregnancy, just didn't realize it the first time of course.  

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 5

9 hours ago, baldricks_turnip said:

I'd be disappointed (but not shocked, because cult) if she was. I really see waiting for baby #3 as being a potentially defining moment in how likely they are to be choosing a different way of life. You marry and can finally have sex and becoming a parent is such a status symbol in their circles, so baby #1 comes along fast. You love your kid, and they are so portable and sleep so much that more seems reasonably doable, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to go against the cult ideas and before you know it #2 is on the way. But then you have a toddler and a baby and you can't just rest/be productive during nap times because the toddler is still awake. And the toddler isn't just a passive little potato happy to sit in a capsule, they are rapidly becoming a little person with likes, dislikes, interests, quirks. They demand attention. So not only are things getting much harder, but you also see how you are able to spend time nurturing #1, teaching them things, stimulating their curiosity of the world. Even with only two children, you worry if you'll have the time and energy to do all the things for #2 that you currently do for #1, nevermind numbers #3-19. I feel like post second baby is a point where a couple might re-evaluate if BC (especially non-hormonal) is really the be-all-and-end-all to what god wants for them.

I know Joy and Austin are very conservative, but I was kind of hoping with him having come from a smaller family and seeming to want to be quite hands-on with his own kids he might exert his headship over their family planning.

I agree mostly  - but think the waiting/ spacing/ using non-hormonal family planning to completely limit - might be more likely to happen after baby #3 or #4 with these kids who grew up in mega-families. Their general background noise and chaos “normal” tolerance  level has to be pretty high.  

I do think Joy is one though who would likely be happier with a smaller family - I’m thinking most of these couples will end up with larger than regular folks families—- but not gigantic - maybe in the 4 — 7 range, with some spacing between sets of kids. They start so young though, and most appear so fertile — they could certainly have a few “oops” kids over 20+ years with non-permanent methods. 

• Upvote 2

I always think it is hard to judge family wise until after 4 or so. Because, as I have said before, in my (very liberal and non fundie) social circle, most people have 3 and several have 4. I have multiple friends who had 4 in 7 years..I had 3 in 5 years (and within 6 years of marriage). 

• Upvote 6

My Dermatologist had 3 kids very quickly. The reason she was building a practice & wanted to have her kids close in age because she & her sisters are. They are all now in their late 20’s. However, no one looked at her weirdly for having her kids so fast. She also always had full time help & was a very involved parent because her home, practice & the private Jewish school her kids attended were very close by. So if her kids had an event at school she was able to rearrange her patients & still attend. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I always think it is hard to judge family wise until after 4 or so. Because, as I have said before, in my (very liberal and non fundie) social circle, most people have 3 and several have 4. I have multiple friends who had 4 in 7 years..I had 3 in 5 years (and within 6 years of marriage). 

I agree that a couple close together don't mean much, as my non-fundy self had 3 kids (4 pregnancies) in less than 5 years.  I wanted my kids close together.  

I know a couple people with four and lots of people with three who had them all close together and stopped.  Granted in the fundy world when they start at that pace they could be on track to being Michelle 2.0, but there is no way to know.  I wonder if Jill and Jinger being open about having using BC/family planning to avoid conception will cause some of the others to consider it as well.

Austin was only one of four so perhaps he has a different view on family size, no idea though.

• Upvote 4

I'm always surprised people have hope for Joy and Austin doing things differently and becoming more mainstream. I consider these two to be two of the most hardcore fundies in the Duggar family. 

I wouldn't be surprised if she was pregnant, because it's been long enough since Evelyn was born that Joy could be pregnant again.  I hope she isn't, because fewer kids in a cult and Joy has had it rough with all of her previous pregnancies.

I doubt we'll know whether she's pregnant for a while, because Joy likes to hold off announcing (which is her right). 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic