IGNORED

Seewalds 45: Ben’s a REAL Pastor at a PRECIOUS Church!

nelliebelle1197

52 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

The quiz is uncanny: accurately pegged me as being from northern New England. Which is true, although I have lived in NY for a couple of decades now; I refuse to assimilate, lol.

Yep. This is accurate for me, within 100ish miles, Coastal California, put me in with cities more in the Central Valley. Which are cities with very similar demographics, except not a big influx of out-of-area University people. So makes sense. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 4

I just took the British version - it seems pretty accurate, given that I lived 0-18 in one city, and 18-37 in the other!
 ETA Sorry, messed up the post, internet just went weird.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2021-03-31_01-13-31.png

Screenshot_2021-03-31_01-13-31.png

Edited by Zebedee
Internet went down and I kept pressing buttons...
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Funny--this morning, I just retook the "where are you from" dialect quiz. It was posted on NYT site. It is fascinating to me, because it nails me to a pinpoint of where I was born in Massachusetts. I moved to Texas at age 9, then moved again in my early 20s to the Mid-Atlantic.  I think it is very interesting that it still puts me in my birthplace, even though I lived there the shortest.  My kids get pegged to our current state, but do have little spikes of SE Massachusetts in them from me. :) 

Hope people can access these:

Dialect quiz

British/Irish version

This is fascinating. I kept trying to figure out the different colors on the map and thought it was putting me in the southeast!

Final result: Washington State, which is correct. 

• Upvote 6

I have taken it several times over the years,  even thinking I'm answering differently,  but it always gets me within 25 miles of where I  grew up. I thought I'd shed my Massachusetts vocabulary and accent, but even after all this time, people do occasionally notice. 

A lot of work went into that study. I was involved with a similar one while in college at Univ of Texas. Tons more questions. A long term project there. Maybe they are still doing it.

• Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I have taken it several times over the years,  even thinking I'm answering differently,  but it always gets me within 25 miles of where I  grew up. I thought I'd shed my Massachusetts vocabulary and accent, but even after all this time, people do occasionally notice. 

I think I've taken that quiz 4 or 5 times since I joined FJ. It usually either gets me in the city I've lived in my whole life (based this time on the term "drinking fountain"), or in the area where my mom grew up. That's accurate in both cases. I'm just not sure which phrases I sometimes change when I take it. :think: 

ETA--I grew up calling carbonated drinks "pop" (definitely an area thing here) and switched to calling them "soda" sometime in my 20s. I suppose that could be one I flip-flop on.

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
eta
  • Upvote 8

Oh linguistics is so much fun! I also was a part of that study, cataloging regional dialects for phonemes (the sounds and how they work together) and lexical selection (which word). I would be interested to see how the internet has influenced the accents of second language speakers and map those connections like this quiz.

Sometimes you can even tell someone's accent before they even speak, by the way they hold their mouth and tongue.

And I always always think of Pygmalion/My Fair Lady. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

I've taken that quiz as well and it always puts me where my mother grew up, rather than my birthplace on the east coast or southern CA where I've lived for most of my life. I'm thinking it makes sense, as we are so influenced by our mothers - particularly the oldest children.

Edited by livinginthelight
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

The 3 cities it gives me are Springfield, Mo, OKC and Little Rock.....I live in Northwest Arkansas exactly in the middle of that triangle. Crazy!

• Upvote 8

I took it again just now and I think I got about the same as before... top 2 cities for me are Minneapolis and Fresno and I've never lived in either, but neither is that far off, either... I think my top influences would be Omaha (grew up there) and SF Bay Area (lived here 30+ years now).  I also have an Australian husband who has had some influence and parents from Duluth and Pittsburgh.  But taking the quiz there were some questions that I wished I could give more than one answer (eg, tennis shoes and sneakers I use pretty interchangably and merry, Mary, marry I personally don't say differently but my dh does and I can definitely tell the difference when he says them.)

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, patsymae said:

Mary, merry and marry are not all pronounced differently? Quelle surprise! (but, yeah, Jersey)

I always wonder about how teachers handle this when teaching phonics to young kids. Do they teach these as different sounds but point out that people in their area tend to pronounce them all the same (and therefore implying they are incorrect), or do they teach them as spelling variations of the same sound?
I'm a teacher in Australia and we have programs for teachings phonics like THRASS that groups spelling choices and it seems like the US would need different charts for each state!

THRASS chart under the cut:

Spoiler

image.png.9cd9330546843b62312bbabb4041ebf6.png

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, baldricks_turnip said:

I always wonder about how teachers handle this when teaching phonics to young kids. Do they teach these as different sounds but point out that people in their area tend to pronounce them all the same (and therefore implying they are incorrect), or do they teach them as spelling variations of the same sound?
I'm a teacher in Australia and we have programs for teachings phonics like THRASS that groups spelling choices and it seems like the US would need different charts for each state!

Things could have changed since I was in school (I was in elementary school in the mid-late 90s), but my teachers always taught us to say things the way they said them. Marry/merry/Mary was a lesson on homonyms, not phonics, and there was never a discussion about how some people pronounce them differently (honestly, that would be like also explaining that people with British vs. Australian vs. South African accents pronounce things differently- true, but not the point of the lesson.) 

My parents pronounced a few things a little differently than my teachers/classmates (“naked” and “nekked” come to mind) and there were other things that were so regionally accepted that I remember being a teenager before I heard a different pronunciation (App-uh-latch-uh vs. App-ah-lay-sha). 

Perhaps if there was one standard version of American English, we’d be taught that... but everything from vocabulary to pronunciation to how direct people will phrase something varies widely by region, and for the most part, one way is not better than another; just different. The same way someone from Scotland and someone from New Zealand wouldn’t speak the same way, and neither of them are wrong, just like neither of them are more correct than the other. 

Sorry for the novel- this subject is a bit sensitive for me. I grew up in the South, but for some reason never got an accent, and I am AMAZED at how many people act like it’s incredible that I can put together a coherent sentence when they find out I’m from there. People very much use accents to judge people (and I know that’s not just limited to the US), and it’s a shame. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

8 hours ago, Topaz said:

I’ve never seen the British/Irish one before. It had me for either Devon/Cornwall or the South East. I’m from Cornwall so good going.

Very much Cornish here also, but the quiz put me in Brighton ?

• Upvote 3

I took the British one, and it was all over the place, the quiz was basically like "sorry, I don't know what to tell you, your dialect doesn't fit in anywhere", and then I felt a bit bad, as if I should adopt a dialect just to fit in somewhere. 

I have learnt particular English words from a variety of sources, more sort of "standard" English in school (standard in terms of vocabulary for particular things), Scottish English from living in Scotland and American English from American TV shows. So it's a bit all over the place. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Ms. Brightside said:

Sorry for the novel- this subject is a bit sensitive for me. I grew up in the South, but for some reason never got an accent, and I am AMAZED at how many people act like it’s incredible that I can put together a coherent sentence when they find out I’m from there. People very much use accents to judge people (and I know that’s not just limited to the US), and it’s a shame. 

No apology necessary, and I hope I didn't cause offense with my pondering. It is always interesting to me what we consider 'incorrect' and what we consider a valid difference. On my Australian THRASS chart we have the large group of schwa sounds that Australians basically pronounce the same- doctor, soccer, banana all end in the same sound here, and we certainly don't consider that to be wrong.

• Upvote 3

I took the British quiz. Its got from Cornwall across the whole of the south and east and up to Oxford/Reading. 

I was born in Northern Ireland, lived in Germany for 5 years, back to NI for 6 years, then to the South of England for another 6 years and then up to the South East from age 17 to now, tho I did move back to NI for 18 months and I did Cornwall for 22 months.

I have been asked if Im posh or just stuck up... my accent is all over the place 

• Upvote 3

The quiz put me in Boise (odd...) , Worcester, MA, or Boston, MA. I was born in Vermont, and currently live there- BUT I went to college in Boston and ended up living there for a total of 14 years. I've never lived outside of New England, so I guess it's fairly accurate for me! :)

• Upvote 5

On 3/30/2021 at 1:33 PM, Travelfan said:

Ok wait, are they supposed to sound different?!!  I’m from the Midwest and I’ve never heard any difference between Ben, bin or been. They are all pronounced exactly the same. So are pin and pen.  I can’t imagine what the difference is supposed to be...

13 hours ago, patsymae said:

Mary, merry and marry are not all pronounced differently? Quelle surprise! (but, yeah, Jersey)

I mean they are spelled differently- so it shouldn’t be surprising. I am not a native speaker and definitely miss the very tiny nuances sometimes (write vs ride/ wrote vs road/ merry vs marry) for example. But if someone speaks clearly and I listen carefully they are all obviously different?
Nothing against dialects - they are a wonderful thing. But I think it’s important to realise that you are not using standard pronunciation. It’s also very interesting that in some countries most people are able to switch between regional dialects and standard form and in other countries many just have one speech pattern. Especially, as here, a strong abbreviation from standard can work negatively in a job interview for example. So countries that have no problem with that is always a cool difference.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

The dialect quiz correctly identified me as living in the southeast but was not really accurate on the city. However,  the city where a grew up is located near a very large air force base. A large portion of the city residents are employed by or have a connection to the base. Many people move in and out frequently and come from all over the world. It would make sense that many different dialects are blended.

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed duplicate paragraph.
  • Upvote 4

I took this for fun, even though I'm not American, and it put me in North Dakota which makes sense since I live right above it! 

• Upvote 10

I’m a native German speaker who has lived in NZ for a couple of years but I took the accent test (US version) regardless - after all, it’s fun.

And the result is that my accent is closest to Montgomery (Alabama) or Boston (Massachusetts). Who would have thought? ?

Does anyone know if there’s an international version so I can’t check if I rather speak Kiwi English, whether I’m influenced by the Aussie way of pronouncing things, etc.? 

• Upvote 4

My results show most similar in the area I live now and the area where my mom grew up in the mid-Atlantic, with only a moderate match with the area where I grew up. Interestingly, my "least similar" cities include 1 in the state where I grew up and 2 in the neighboring state, although all on the other end of the state from where I lived. 

• Upvote 3

I'm Canadian (Montreal transplant but originally from Ontario. I took the American quiz and it gave me Buffalo, Rochester, and Honolulu lol! The first two make sense but never been to Hawaii!

• Haha 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic