IGNORED

Jed and Katey 2: The Hidden Engagement?

Coconut Flan

I am gobsmacked that the engagement video is up on the Nakatsu family site, but that there is complete silence from the Duggar machine.  Is it possible that Jed went rogue? The engagement itself...while slightly reminiscent of Jessa's...was far too lovely in every detail to be orchestrated (and paid for) by Duggardom, even with Jana's skills.

My other thought was that it was a TLC production from the get go, and that the Nakatsus are savvier about negotiating than previous brides' families. Perhaps they negotiated the right to announce. I am also wondering if the fact that they are doing a live feed wedding for invited guests might also turn into a premium based TLC event....to be announced later, by the network.  This could be a marketing ploy to rev up interest, just as I suspect the Vuolos are keeping Baby Jo's face hidden to do the same...(unless they are doing treatments on her birthmark. Sometimes those can grow a bit, depending on the vascular nature of the birthmark, and in the not long distant past, some fundamentalist groups considered birthmarks judgement on the parents for straying from doctrine...for whatever reason.) Lots of speculation, obviously.

• Upvote 19

5 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Pickles posted this link this morning https://www.nakatsus.com/?fbclid=IwAR2EFxwyJspHSqHOxtr6lFkeSjG_dZuDpD6-C2LSDMZ_sWtgWriYA9jXpCM - not sure if it's the same post you were referring to (it's the video of the Jed/ Katey proposal).  The visuals are lovely.  But then there's a voiceover of their pledges to each other than are definitely super religious/ conservative.  

If scroll down to bottom of the page, you can see a post about biblical betrothal which is password protect. That's post I was referring to. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

These people are way more obsessed with sex than 16-year-old boys. Heck, they're more obsessed than single males that vacation in Thailand.

I wasn't thinking about Katey's vagina, but I sure am now. Thanks for that Papa Nakatsu! So modest!

And as soon as they are married they are hitting it as much as most folks hit their kitchen or bathroom faucet. Remember in that DIllard YouTube where DD mentioned doing it 4 times one day? Much like their modesty clothing standard for all non pregnancy females, but once that egg and sperm have united, the clothing becomes as tight and center stage as possible. Like DD said, “they get married quickly for sex.” Idiots.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bal maiden said:

Yeah I’m filing this one in the Old Skool Fundie box. That voice over has soooooo many tells and red flags. 

What do we know about the Nakatsus already? Apologies if I’ve missed this discussion somewhere else, here’s what I know. We have Kory and Kim, married July 5 1997. Jamie, Reed, Katelyn, and another younger daughter, Lauren. Kory used to work for Cisco, not sure if he still does? Are the older brothers married and fundie? When did they get super conservative? 

Kory and Kim divorced and Kory is remarried to Kerry. He’s retired now according to his LinkedIn profile and they recently moved to Springdale.  Just a few miles from TTH...

Not sure about the older brothers...their blog only mentions Katey and Lauren.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 3

The Duggar’s posted on Facebook that there is a new episode coming but no promos or information has been released by TLC. I think they are trying to tell people that TLC is controlling the announcement timeline.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

TLC has a really tight leash on the 90 days cast. Even when fans find marriage certificates for couples they won’t admit to being married on social media. The serious fans know it’s good ole tlc fraud but love to play detective and the casual fans feel like they are watching something unfold in real time. It seems to work really well for that franchise. 

I wonder if they are trying the same with the Duggars to help drum up the same kind of intense fan base 90df has. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

I agree that Jed and Katey seem to be doing things much closer to the Mortons - "Biblical betrothal", quick weddings, "the day that the Lord sees fit to have us be wed"... it all seems formal and much less lovey/focused on bringing their personalities together like the other Duggars, minus Josh. I hope they genuinely enjoy each other's presence. The setting was beautiful though, i'll give them that. Expecting some Nakatsu Dad word vomit at the wedding for sure. 

• Upvote 16
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

I wonder if the future of the show is in jeopardy but not yet actually decided. TLC may be particularly reticent to work with them due to the headache of squaring their behaviour with the reality of Covid guidelines. That would be an edit and a half. They may even have given JB certain ultimatums about the optics of his family carrying on as normal in a pandemic, which he is choosing not to engage with.

Anyway, just spitballing, but it appears to me that the Duggars are proceeding as if they still have a show, in the hope that something can be scrambled together, but TLC have not commissioned a new series, or haven't bought what the production company made, or want to skip this year and return when Covid is no longer an issue. The silence is weird.

There is supposedly a show on March 30 on TLC's schedule titled ep2 ... I've seen ZERO promo.  I really wonder if they have some leftover footage they are required by contract to air and then it's done.  I am very sus that it's over or that maybe they will only have specials on disc + if anything.   This is far too much stuff happening with zero publicity coverage and a lot of released photos and video for them to currently be under contract.   Can't be sure but it's def sus. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Kory and Kim divorced and Kory is remarried to Kerry.

All of those names being unisex is confusing me. And the fact that they all start with k! 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 9

After watching that video on the blog I’m wondering if Katey’s dad is the reason we’ve heard nothing about the relationship. If he truly believes in biblical betrothal and is as fundie as Katey and Jed’s “vows” to each other make them sound, he probably does not want a whole lot of publicity in order to maintain the holiness and purity of the union. If he believes that they will be married “when the lord sees fit” for them to do so, then he may not want any information aired until it is the day the “Lord” decided would be their wedding day. Either way, the video, while beautifully set, was very creepy and would probably be very offputting for most casual Duggar viewers. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 6

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

All of those names being unisex is confusing me. And the fact that they all start with k! 

According to Duggar Data, Kory's grandfather was named Koryo Nakatsu and he was a Japanese immigrant. I think Kory is named for him. (Kory is Katey's father.) 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

So Katey's paternal grandfather was Koryo, her father is Kory, her middle name is Koryn, her mother is Kim, her stepmother is Kerry. Poor Lauren Nakatsu is the only one who doesn't get to be matchy-matchy! xD

I forsee J'Katey naming their firstborn son Robert Kory Duggar. 

Edited by ihaveanexamintwodays
  • Upvote 10

I think it is about the biblical betrothal: the vows, all of it...it's like a contract, unlike an engagement. That fits in with the seeming lack of lovey dovey excitement. In biblical betrothal, the love is supposed to grow after the betrothal, not before...though there can be interest. And all 4 parents have to agree. However, the bride's family runs the show...which explains the radio silence from the Duggars....and TLC may think it is too funny, though I DO suspect they may have funded the proposal costs. The video credits were not TLC related, though...which stumps me. Are the Nakatsus wealthy?

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Kjaerringa said:

Are the Nakatsus wealthy?

Going off their blog, you could call them upper-middle class. Kory had a really good job working for Cisco, they lived in a relatively inexpensive area of the country, he only had two blessings to feed, and he just sold his house in Arizona for over $800,000. They're probably the wealthiest family a Duggar will marry into.

I'm sure it helped their savings when he changed his mind about sending his daughters to college.

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 17
  • Thank You 6

I read through the blog. Kory seems to be a good guy (and a charmingly self-deprecating geek) who used to be really into scuba diving and underwater photography with his daughters, who wore normal swimwear and went to school. Then he got divorced and remarried, and got the girls involved with Sarah Malley’s Bright Lights organization. (There’s an FJ thread on it. Sarah wrote “Before You Meet Prince Charming” and the group indoctrinates girls to be godly and submissive.) In 2012 the Nakatsus started hosting a Bright Lights group in their home. They also made the girls start homeschooling and joined ATI. Now their blog is all family conferences and fellowship with prominent ATI families. Their family sounds a lot like the Forsyths, in that the dad got divorced and was much more fundie in his second marriage, but didn’t get involved with Quiverfull or decide to grift instead of work. 

• Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Thank You 11

9 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I read through the blog. Kory seems to be a good guy (and a charmingly self-deprecating geek) who used to be really into scuba diving and underwater photography with his daughters, who wore normal swimwear and went to school. Then he got divorced and remarried, and got the girls involved with Sarah Malley’s Bright Lights organization. (There’s an FJ thread on it. Sarah wrote “Before You Meet Prince Charming” and the group indoctrinates girls to be godly and submissive.) In 2012 the Nakatsus started hosting a Bright Lights group in their home. They also made the girls start homeschooling and joined ATI. Now their blog is all family conferences and fellowship with prominent ATI families. Their family sounds a lot like the Forsyths, in that the dad got divorced and was much more fundie in his second marriage, but didn’t get involved with Quiverfull or decide to grift instead of work. 

Now that’s interesting, given how deeeep hard core that engagement video is. Sounds like it’s coming  from the kids, not the parents. How old is Katey? 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

So Katey's paternal grandfather was Koryo, her father is Kory, her middle name is Koryn, her mother is Kim, her stepmother is Kerry. Poor Lauren Nakatsu is the only one who doesn't get to be matchy-matchy! xD

I forsee J'Katey naming their firstborn son Robert Kory Duggar. 

Can we please stick with “Kateydid!”, pretty please? ?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

Now that’s interesting, given how deeeep hard core that engagement video is. Sounds like it’s coming  from the kids, not the parents. How old is Katey? 

I think the dad went hardcore. The stepmom posts to the blog less often. She could be driving the crazy train, or she could be along for the ride. I’m really curious about what the bio mom and her family think. As has been discussed earlier in this thread, it remains to be seen whether Katey has the zeal of a convert, or is going along with it to please her dad. At the moment she seems to be very into it, but she could turn out like Derek or Jeremy, in that she’s not from a big family and she hasn’t always been ATI/Quiverfull, so she might be less interested in breeding for Jesus.

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but the Nakatsus are good friends with the Burnetts. They might have spent more time with the Duggars after Abbie married JD, and moving to Arkansas not only keeps them near Katey, it gets them closer to Big Sandy and the Burnetts. Maybe Lauren Nakatsu (whose nickname apparently is “Pickle”) will marry one of the Duggar boys, and there will be another Lauren Duggar after all.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 9

10 hours ago, indianabones said:

I think Jamie and Reed are Katey's cousins.

When I looked at the old website from the early 2000s on the way back machine, they are on there as Kim and Kory’s children (unless they were cousins being fostered/adopted by K&K? But definitely seemed presented as their children). 

• Thank You 6

From a bit of searching, it seems that the older brothers now have a different surname, I’m guessing that perhaps Kim remarried and the boys took that name. They don’t seem remotely fundie nor have a public blog or anything, so I’m not going to post any details. Same for Kory’s sister Jaimie and her son Tyler. Did the fundamentalism come in with Kerry then? Or way Korey headed that way and then found his perfect fundie wife? 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic