Jump to content
IGNORED

Alyssa and John 8: Four Daughters, a New House, and a Pool


Recommended Posts

JermajestyDuggar
9 minutes ago, llucie said:

Alyssa also mentioned that currently she is closest with Katie, Carlin, Ellie and Addie of her sisters, and that it has changed with the years.

I can tell you why these 4 are her current favorites. Because they can help her. Those are the 4 that visited when they were moving. The other sisters are too busy with their own children and lives to go help Alyssa in Florida. 

  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Jackie3

    60

  • SassyPants

    55

  • Melissa1977

    46

  • JermajestyDuggar

    23

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I grew up with some pretty horrific beliefs. One thing that helped me change is that people did react in horror when I said really awful stuff. If people in my life had just quietly tolerated my hatef

Small reminder that fj has an international crowd of members , english is my 4 th language for example. Please be considerate

Honestly, I’m a little sad that “school of the dinning room table” didn’t somehow work its way into this thread title...

Posted Images

MaryOrMartha
8 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

At this point I’m guessing that only Erin, Michaela, and possibly Tori saved their first kiss for the alter. And of course Katie had to since they’re not even holding hands yet. I’m guessing none of the Duggars have broken that rule yet.

I think Carlin said they saved their first kiss but I have my doubts about that too.

What was said around the weddings of those who didn't wait? Silence?

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jackie3
9 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

At this point I’m guessing that only Erin, Michaela, and possibly Tori saved their first kiss for the alter. And of course Katie had to since they’re not even holding hands yet. I’m guessing none of the Duggars have broken that rule yet.

They aren't holding hands IN PUBLIC. Who knows what they do in private?

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
freethemall
4 hours ago, llucie said:

In the Q&A she also talked about the girls room situation, and admited the reason for having Allie with the baby is just because she is older and more responsible and can help out. She does plan to put her with Lexi in the future. They also talked a bit about sleep training. John mentioned it was a controversial topic "because some people think its abuse", but that they just used some parts of the baby wise method that worked for them, and that he knew how to diferenciate when the babies cried because they needed him and when they were just being spoiled.

See there's that word again,  spoiled.  I know Alyssa used "spoiled rotten" in a "cute " way but I just have so many issues with anyone thinking babies under younger than a year can in any way be considered "spoiled". Comfort is just as much of a physiological need as food, and that attitude that it's something extra is so problematic. 

  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
WiseGirl
11 hours ago, llucie said:

the babies cried because they needed him and when they were just being spoiled.

This thinking drives me nuts. How the hell is a baby spoiled? They need you/comfort from you, you twit (John) ffs these people drive me nuts.

A six year old helping with a newborn? No thank you. Has anyone asked why the kids have to spend so much time nappping? Does she ever interact with them?

How to get away with kissing whike "chaperoning". Hey (young) chaperone XYZ can you go get us some ice cream/ treat from that truck/store? 

Hmm I seem to be very irritated by Batesessess this morning...and I'm okay with that.

  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
GuineaPigCourtship

I am for sure not defending the Bates in this one, but we did have a fair amount of crying when we bassinet trained our daughter. We were having issues with getting her asleep in the evening and making sure she had enough restorative sleep overnight. We did the sleep wave method of check in every few minutes while she cried and stopped when she dozed off. She was crying because she wanted me to pick her up, but not at all because she was spoiled. Babies just want comfort and closeness! The problem was that she was no longer sleeping soundly in my arms when there were other things to see and do. She's going to change and have regressions and sick days and vaccines and whatnot which means we'll have to revise our plan sometimes, and that doesn't make her spoiled either. I am finding that for me parenthood is both an exercise in being flexible and also following routines as much as possible (not normally my style).

  • Upvote 10
  • Disgust 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
IsmeWeatherwax

Ive got 4 children They are 13, 15, 22, 24. Some slept well, some did not. At times is was so difficult to deal with crying baby and lack of sleep. If I can offer any advice to the mums with babies, - it wont last forever! I got to bed when I want, and I wake up when I want and they all sort themselves out now. I did think at times that I would forever have a child sleeping in bed with me lol I'd give an arm to my babies back and them all snuggling in bed with me ❤️

  • Upvote 6
  • Love 17
Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants

My confession... I can’t dislike John. And I loved that he said something to the effect of not many people can have 20 kids. Good for him. He might be goofy but at least that statement shows he does have some common sense. Didn’t they also say something about doing something “permanent “?

OTOH, Alyssa becomes less endearing on the daily.

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
llucie
49 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

My confession... I can’t dislike John. And I loved that he said something to the effect of not many people can have 20 kids. Good for him. He might be goofy but at least that statement shows he does have some common sense. Didn’t they also say something about doing something “permanent “?

OTOH, Alyssa becomes less endearing on the daily.

I think John is just as responsible as Alyssa on all the kids decisions we snark on here about. Its not really fair to blame just the mother when its decision they both make. He seems hardworking, but thats about it in positive things i can say about him. He definetely is not a good father if he does not think its his responsability to wake up at night when the baby cries or that babies that cry because they want to be held up and not because they are in pain are being spoiled. And the daddy-daughter dates he does with his daughters are beyond creepy to me.

Alyssa did say they would wait 2 years at least before making any permanent decisions on having more kids or not.

 

  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants
2 hours ago, llucie said:

I think John is just as responsible as Alyssa on all the kids decisions we snark on here about. Its not really fair to blame just the mother when its decision they both make. He seems hardworking, but thats about it in positive things i can say about him. He definetely is not a good father if he does not think its his responsability to wake up at night when the baby cries or that babies that cry because they want to be held up and not because they are in pain are being spoiled. And the daddy-daughter dates he does with his daughters are beyond creepy to me.

Alyssa did say they would wait 2 years at least before making any permanent decisions on having more kids or not.

 

I’ll get flak for this one, but I agree with Alyssa on her reasoning for who gets up at night. She is correct in that a SAHP does have more flexibility in resting when they are tired during the day. Will fewer tasks get done? Yes, but those are the breaks. A person who is on the clock does not have that same level of flexibility in their work day. Plus, Alyssa did say that John would get up at night to help in the immediate PP period. 

As dual working folks, we took turns getting up at night to tend to kids. Luckily, by the time I was back at work post ML, both our babies reliably slept through the night. Once BF was established I also gave by babies a bottle of either EBM or formula before bed. I think that helped them sleep through earlier. I also stopped BF altogether once I went back to work at 6 months of age. This was over 30 years ago. You have to do what works for your lifestyle.

  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
AussieKrissy

Omfg now that tiki is her BFF and buying her pool furniture. Has she even met the women???!!!! 

8BE642E9-6048-419B-BA5B-FBD3D9249668.png

  • Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jackie3

John seems inoffensive and nice, but I personally can't stand him. He has been handed everything in life, yet still holds intolerant views about gay rights, the less fortunate, abortion and a host of other topics.

Look at all his god has given him:

a guaranteed job with his dad's business

a prominent father (that must come with some perks)

He is tall and nice looking. He belongs to the majority race (white). He is heterosexual. These things must make his life easier.

an attractive wife who seems to suit him well

four healthy children, born without any complications

supportive inlaws on both sides (!)

good health (why is this so low on the list?)

Despite having all this, he belongs to a church that seems to lack compassion for marginalized groups. I can only take that to mean that HE lacks compassion for those groups. I'm not saying he should be a raging liberal or a socialist, but he belongs to a church that is really right wing, and he goes to that church every Sunday and teaches his children those values.

When faced with ONE problem--Alyssa's heart condition--he spoke about how he "lost faith in God" temporarily. One problem! And a problem that was ultimately remedied. Talk about a weak faith.

Of course John is good natured. He has had everything in life. He has no reason to be mad at anyone. It seems likely he has never experienced discrimination, poverty, unemployment, prejudice or abuse. He does not wish to help those who have.

  • Upvote 22
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants
55 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

John seems inoffensive and nice, but I personally can't stand him. He has been handed everything in life, yet still holds intolerant views about gay rights, the less fortunate, abortion and a host of other topics.

Look at all his god has given him:

a guaranteed job with his dad's business

a prominent father (that must come with some perks)

He is tall and nice looking. He belongs to the majority race (white). He is heterosexual. These things must make his life easier.

an attractive wife who seems to suit him well

four healthy children, born without any complications

supportive inlaws on both sides (!)

good health (why is this so low on the list?)

Despite having all this, he belongs to a church that seems to lack compassion for marginalized groups. I can only take that to mean that HE lacks compassion for those groups. I'm not saying he should be a raging liberal or a socialist, but he belongs to a church that is really right wing, and he goes to that church every Sunday and teaches his children those values.

When faced with ONE problem--Alyssa's heart condition--he spoke about how he "lost faith in God" temporarily. One problem! And a problem that was ultimately remedied. Talk about a weak faith.

Of course John is good natured. He has had everything in life. He has no reason to be mad at anyone. It seems likely he has never experienced discrimination, poverty, unemployment, prejudice or abuse. He does not wish to help those who have.

While I agree with many of your assertions, I wonder what evidence you have of the highlighted?

In addition, I always try to remember that as much as I might disagree with their religious beliefs and approach, they also disagree with mine. So if I want to have my beliefs tolerated or even accepted, I must do the same for their’s.

and vote, vote, vote-

  • Upvote 5
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Satan'sFortress
7 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

At times is was so difficult to deal with crying baby and lack of sleep. If I can offer any advice to the mums with babies, - it wont last forever! 

I've been thinking the same thing while reading about the mamas here with little ones with sleep problems.  Sleep deprivation felt like torture. I had one good sleeper and one really tough one. It felt like 10 or 15 years before I got a good night's sleep! But, as they say, the days are long and the years are short.  You mamas have my sincere sympathy; I remember how difficult it can be. It does get better! It really does!

  • Upvote 9
  • Love 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
rebeccawriter01
7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

My confession... I can’t dislike John. And I loved that he said something to the effect of not many people can have 20 kids. Good for him. He might be goofy but at least that statement shows he does have some common sense. Didn’t they also say something about doing something “permanent “?

OTOH, Alyssa becomes less endearing on the daily.

John lost some points with me when he started saying how much he adores and admires Taliban Dan in the Q&A video. 

  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jackie3
1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

So if I want to have my beliefs tolerated or even accepted, I must do the same for their’s.

This is very true! Did you feel I was being intolerant of their beliefs, somehow? Is disagreeing with someone the same as being intolerant of them?

I don't believe I was trying to silence John in any way, and the guy's free to think what he likes. I just don't agree with his church's beliefs. I'm assuming he shares those beliefs, since Florida has a million other churches he could belong to.

I guess I'm missing your point, here.  Is it against the rules to dislike John, and his anti-abortion, anti-lgbtq beliefs?

 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
CaptainFunderpants
1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

In addition, I always try to remember that as much as I might disagree with their religious beliefs and approach, they also disagree with mine. So if I want to have my beliefs tolerated or even accepted, I must do the same for their’s.

and vote, vote, vote-

The paradox of tolerance.

He's a Dominionist. He doesn't believe you should have your beliefs tolerated. He believes you should be barefoot and pregnant, homeschooling your brood, that you're not a person -you merely exist as the property of your husband.

Mmm, no, those are not beliefs that should be tolerated in modern society.

  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants
4 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

The paradox of tolerance.

He's a Dominionist. He doesn't believe you should have your beliefs tolerated. He believes you should be barefoot and pregnant, homeschooling your brood, that you're not a person -you merely exist as the property of your husband.

Mmm, no, those are not beliefs that should be tolerated in modern society.

Sorry, but how is it wrong for them to be intolerant of certain beliefs but ok for me to be intolerant of the converse.

Gotta be the change you want to see.

The only way we can change things is to direct our money and our vote accordingly-

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
justmy2cents
On 4/23/2021 at 1:50 PM, justmy2cents said:

At this point I’m guessing that only Erin, Michaela, and possibly Tori saved their first kiss for the alter. 

Somehow my comment made it onto this tumblr, unless someone else made the exact same comment, haha. That’s a first for me.

 

A56B45D7-FD57-4C74-B47B-7DFCF157AA57.png

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
nelliebelle1197
On 4/22/2021 at 8:13 PM, SassyPants said:

No doubt that the religious beliefs that the Websters do have are awful-

The Websters are worse than the Batessesses. It is not all about Quiverfull and skirts. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
nelliebelle1197
33 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Sorry, but how is it wrong for them to be intolerant of certain beliefs but ok for me to be intolerant of the converse.

Gotta be the change you want to see.

The only way we can change things is to direct our money and our vote accordingly-

Bull. This is the type of nonsense bothsiderism that allows bigotry and racism to flourish within a society. 

John’s religion should not guide the way rights are given to others but John and Alyssa and their ilk believe their views should. What these people believe is just as abhorrent as segregationists and racists believe/d and are as appalling as apartheid.  They want to remake who gets rights and how our system runs our based on their narrow set of religious beliefs.

Some things are just wrong. Period. Dan and John Webster’s theology is bad and wrong and hurts people. I refuse to tolerate hate. 

  • Upvote 25
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jackie3
1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Bull. This is the type of nonsense bothsiderism that allows bigotry and racism to flourish within a society. 

John’s religion should not guide the way rights are given to others but John and Alyssa and their ilk believe their views should. What these people believe is just as abhorrent as segregationists and racists believe/d and are as appalling as apartheid.  They want to remake who gets rights and how our system runs our based on their narrow set of religious beliefs.

Some things are just wrong. Period. Dan and John Webster’s theology is bad and wrong and hurts people. I refuse to tolerate hate. 

I understand what Sassypants is saying. We should tolerate racism, homophobia, misogyny, anti-semitism, etc because we expect others to tolerate our views. 

Can't agree, Sassy. Not going to tolerate racism or homophobia or any of those other things. You can, though.

 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
FrumpyAtheist

I think a definition of "tolerance" is warranted here. To me tolerance just means not willing to go to war over, willing to have a conversation with, willing to shop peacefully next to at the grocery store and generally willing to intellectually accept differences of belief. I think it's a hallmark of civilized society and, frankly, adulthood. 

Tolerance does not mean you have to agree with someone or be a moral relativist. I'm an atheist and think all religion is dead wrong and harmful. But I 100% tolerate religious people. I suspect most of us hold at least one belief others would find wrong. Tolerance is essential. I'm with Sassy on this.

  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jackie3
1 hour ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

I think a definition of "tolerance" is warranted here. To me tolerance just means not willing to go to war over, willing to have a conversation with, willing to shop peacefully next to at the grocery store and generally willing to intellectually accept differences of belief. I think it's a hallmark of civilized society and, frankly, adulthood. 

But how does posting on a snark board = intolerance? I'm just not sure what her point was. It's "intolerant" to criticize John Webster? Why? 

Honestly, it's almost like a Webster fan came to this board and tried to silence anyone criticizing John.

I can certainly understand crying "intolerance" if I had discriminated against John, or gone to his house to try to change his mind. But criticism on a snark board is intolerance? Makes no sense.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
GreenBeans
On 4/24/2021 at 1:22 AM, llucie said:

In the Q&A she also talked about the girls room situation, and admited the reason for having Allie with the baby is just because she is older and more responsible and can help out. She does plan to put her with Lexi in the future. They also talked a bit about sleep training. John mentioned it was a controversial topic "because some people think its abuse", but that they just used some parts of the baby wise method that worked for them, and that he knew how to diferenciate when the babies cried because they needed him and when they were just being spoiled..

 

The point is: babies can’t be “spoiled”. When they cry, they need you. It’s as simple as that. Babies don’t cry because they are “just being spoiled”, they’re aren’t capable of crying out of spite or with a plan behind it. “Training” them by not responding to their crying means they learn that mom and dad won’t come to help them when they need them. “Successful training” means they’ve resigned and given up even trying.

It’s so incredibly sad.

  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



  • Recent Status Updates

    • WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

      WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

      A happy summer solstice to all northern hemisphere FJers! And a happy winter solstice to all southern hemisphere FJers! (I know it's already Monday is Australia, so I'm late for most of you.)

      ETA--Oh! I just checked, and the winter solstice is at 1:31 PM on Monday, June 21 in Eastern Australia Time. So, for once the time zones worked in my favor. I'm not late!
      · 0 replies
    • Bluebirdbluebell

      Bluebirdbluebell

      I'm so angry at the Bishops right now. Shit like this is why I left the Catholic church. They play politics so blatantly.  I hope this convinces more people to leave. 
      · 0 replies
    • Destiny

      Destiny

      I’m okay. I can do this. 
       
      (I’m not okay.)
      · 5 replies
    • Destiny

      Destiny

      I have an extremely stressful weekend coming up. If you can spare me and the kitties some good thoughts I’d appreciate it. 
      · 1 reply
    • Mrs Ms

      Mrs Ms

      One of my siblings has a work related thing coming up where they get to visit a fundie place. Has promised a detailed rundown of the encounter for me and another sibling via video chat. Not that I am jealous or anything….
      · 1 reply
    • BemusedByFundamentalism

      BemusedByFundamentalism

      My in-laws gifted me a hand crank Singer 127k family piece for my birthday. It's from 1926... whoaaahh I feel so loved! Any tips are welcome 😃
      · 4 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      They don't make movies like that anymore....
       
       
      And...oh yeah.  KHAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN!
      · 0 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

      HerNameIsBuffy

      My grandmother came from a town in Missouri of (now) population ~14,500 and 8 Baptist churches.  Not counting all the other denominations, that's just the Baptists.  
      MY grandfather came from Drimoleauge, Ireland which has a current population of ~450 people (not a typo) and 1 church and 5 pubs.  
      If I get a time machine take a wild guess which ancestors I'm going back to visit?  I'm not social, don't enjoy bars, and prefer to imbibe at home but sitting in a pub has to be better than being Godbothered to death by people pretending they don't drink.  
      Fun unrelated fact - Martin Luther spent so much time on the toilet he had a desk built so he could work there, and would take meetings while actively pooping.   He also wrote letters to people with vivid descriptions of his poops.   That should make everyone feel a little better about their work place and emails.
      · 2 replies
    • Chocolate Lover

      Chocolate Lover

      Dear FJ ladies of a certain age.  Did you know that joint pain can appear/increase with perimenopause and menopause?  No?  Me neither till my rheumatologist told me yesterday.  It's all down to the fall in (o)estrogen. 
      Looking online, it'll either settle down as your hormones adapt to their new levels OR you're stuck with it!  I don't fancy needing NSAIDs for the rest of my life.
      · 3 replies
    • GoddessOfVictory

      GoddessOfVictory

      This evening a biker dude went out of his way to follow my car into a retail store's parking lot to lecture me on - get this - braking when the light turned yellow. I had been going the speed limit and it was by no means the shortest stop I've ever made. He condescendingly told me that next time I should hit the gas because people like him could "go splat" into my car. Really dude?!? If you're going to drive any vehicle, especially a motorcycle, actually learn to drive it and don't effing tailgate me when I'm going the speed limit. And if you did rear-end me, guess whose fault it would be? Certainly not the person who was obeying the law.
      Also, I hate living in a society where I have to say this, but I am soooo thankful my male coworker was with me. The biker stopped his bike right behind my car when I parked and wouldn't move it until his lecture was over. If I had been alone I would have been terrified.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.