IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 15: [29 May 2021] Gwen, Joe & 5 Others Presumed Dead in Plane Crash

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I cannot imagine why the Bible, written over a long period of time during which famine was an ever-present possibility and fear, would focus on being grateful for not having thought about food even though you are hungry. Now I'm curious as to how often "starving" is mentioned in the Bible, and in what contexts.  

I suspect most of the times hunger and starving are mentioned are occasions where God feeds the people. Jesus fed the masses their fill. God dropped manna for the Israelites. Jesus ate with his disciples on several occasions and attended events like weddings where food was plentiful. Jesus even used food as a metaphor during the communion and gave the order to EAT. Even - was it John the Baptist? Out in the wilderness as an ascetic? He ate, too. Locusts and honey, but he did eat.

I think Baptists might be a little closer to God's opinion on food than Gwen is. Any excuse to eat together and fellowship!

If God wanted us all not to eat, he wouldn't have made it a requirement for life. What kind of god makes something necessary also be sinful? That makes no sense. It's a sin to eat but if you don't you'll die. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Hey, Gwen! I’m sitting here eating an Italian pastry and enjoying every bite. Screw you.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

20 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Is she getting more blatant or am I just reading the whole thing properly this time?

I cannot imagine why the Bible, written over a long period of time during which famine was an ever-present possibility and fear, would focus on being grateful for not having thought about food even though you are hungry. Now I'm curious as to how often "starving" is mentioned in the Bible, and in what contexts.  

I did a quick search. Jeremiah is full of references to war and starvation and dying by the sword or starvation. I don't know the context as I was only reading he quotes in the below link. The passages seem like people weren't following God so they were going to perish in war by either starvation, disease or sword. 

The rest of the references seems to be talking about pennishments or God showing mercy and saving them from starvation. This list is just from the OT, which Gwen seems to favor

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/words/Starvation

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

The reason diets will never work is because Gwen said so.  She is redefining language again:

85 percent of the consumers are female

Forbes said that women control or influence 85% of consumer decisions  (eg. buy more food than their husbands) but of course that is not the same thing as 85% of consumers being female.  Everyone who ever bought anything is a consumer and so the percentage of female consumers is about the same as the percentage of women in the population.

Gwen in pictures: Joining Gwen's cult will cure your depression. If it doesn't  it's your own fault for not praying enough.

If you focus on how stupid and wrong she is you will despise Gwen but if you focus on thinking good thoughts about her you will love her.

kuva.png.409468afcdba50131c33aa194ebc02bf.png 

• Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 4

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

The reason diets will never work is because Gwen said so.  She is redefining language again:

Forbes said that women control or influence 85% of consumer decisions  (eg. buy more food than their husbands) but of course that is not the same thing as 85% of consumers being female.  Everyone who ever bought anything is a consumer and so the percentage of female consumers is about the same as the percentage of women in the population.

Gwen in pictures: Joining Gwen's cult will cure your depression. If it doesn't  it's your own fault for not praying enough.

If you focus on how stupid and wrong she is you will despise Gwen but if you focus on thinking good thoughts about her you will love her.

kuva.png.409468afcdba50131c33aa194ebc02bf.png 

There's a difference between burdens magically disappearing, and not feeling alone in carrying your burdens. ?

• I Agree 9

Today we play a game of Rock Paper Superstition

Superstition beats paper, reading, knowledge, learning, and you can beat your head on the rock.

Modern medicine is bad because they trust science instead of God and people have never been more unhealthy. (Also, the average life expectancy is decades longer than back in the day when people used to take medical advice from God and not science.)

• Thank You 7

Is Gwen really this stupid? Yes, yes she is. 

The term "regular food" can refer to anything that Gwen happens to crave but the established usage is to distinguish Gwen-approved junk food, industrially processed unhealthy crap with high fat, salt and sugar content and low fiber from "diet food", things that most nutritionists and doctors recommend (=man made rules). If you consider salty fries, cheeseburgers and Fritos good, and plant based and whole grain bad, you get he general idea.  Today we learn that your body was naturally programmed to reject the abnormal concoctions of healthy food and to crave industrially processed crap that is not available anywhere in the nature.

My friends, just like animals, God programmed you to desire Fritos and diet Coke. I just wonder why no animals eat Fritos and diet Coke in the wild.

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

I just wonder why no animals eat Fritos and diet Coke in the wild.

What about RJ the raccoon in the Over the Hedge comic?  Twinkies. He loves Twinkies!  And any junk food! 

SRSLY, I have to look at this from a more cheerful angle, because Gwen is an unrelenting toxic mess who is in the process of destroying lives by interfering with the natural process of enjoying food in a normal way. 

I don't understand how anyone can follow this woman and not develop some kind of eating disorder, and that includes men. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

Is Gwen still married to Tarzan?  She stopped doing how to be thin, religious & married I figured things were on the way to divorce court. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

Is Gwen still married to Tarzan?  She stopped doing how to be thin, religious & married I figured things were on the way to divorce court. 

Not seeing any gossip on the google...

Ironically, as I was searching around the internet, I came across a youtube by Gwen titled "How to fix a broken marriage..." which apparently did not work for *now disappeared, it may have never really happened* marriage #1. 

• Upvote 6

I will never understand why Gwen, a trained dietitian, doesn’t emphasize eating healthy foods like fresh produce, but instead suggests licking the salt off potato chips.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

19 hours ago, Hane said:

I will never understand why Gwen, a trained dietitian, doesn’t emphasize eating healthy foods like fresh produce, but instead suggests licking the salt off potato chips.

I was looking at some pics on Joe Lara's web site, and a few included some pics of Joe and Lara.  She's a tiny woman with zero body fat; I wonder if she started Gwen's Church of Chip Licking  to  enshrine her own problematic relationship to food. Eating plants is step 1 to healthy eating .

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

20 hours ago, Howl said:

I was looking at some pics on Joe Lara's web site, and a few included some pics of Joe and Lara.  She's a tiny woman with zero body fat; I wonder if she started Gwen's Church of Chip Licking  to  enshrine her own problematic relationship to food. Eating plants is step 1 to healthy eating .

If I remember correctly, Gwen has said she was overweight by 10-15 lbs when she followed the dietitian/ "worldly" guidelines and didn't lose weight until she found the "weigh down method". If you look at her explanation of finding this eating method, she observed "thin eaters" and used the Bible as reference material.

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Thank You 1

Today in Anorexics Against Readability, we get light text on pale background about eating less, getting thinner, and praying for help when hunger comes.

:kuva.png.3b8620414c1a4def12499c1ecbefd5c4.png

The daily delusionals have been part four and part five of the why diets won't work series. She Who Lives On Diet Soda rails against non caloric stuff and believes that Apostle Paul warned the Colossians not to wear plastic sweat suits.

Are plastic sweat suits even a thing? Forget the Colossians, does anybody really wear a plastic sweat suit?

This argument seems like the ultimate straw man. If plastic sweat suits don't work you must throw away the entire nutritional science because of course.

• Haha 2
  • Thank You 2

22 hours ago, Howl said:

I wonder if she started Gwen's Church of Chip Licking  to  enshrine her own problematic relationship to food. Eating plants is step 1 to healthy eating .

My baby sister can attest to the benefits of eating plants. She’s a science teacher who follows a plant based whole foods eating plan to deal with diabetes, and it’s keeping her blood sugar well under control.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 2

On 4/11/2021 at 8:44 AM, ElleHouston said:

Why is Michelle wearing a sweater in Flori.... never mind ??‍♀️ 

It’s a sun protection top.  I wear them and I make my kids wear them.  We’ve got fair skin. Sunscreen alone doesn’t cut it.

These tops are great because the protect against the sun and they double as rash guards for boogie boarding.  The right ones will not make you hotter, either.

The Shamblins are an unhealthy mess and no one should follow them—except for those UV tops—those are awesome—everyone should buy one.

Edited by HereComesTreble
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 6

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Are plastic sweat suits even a thing? Forget the Colossians, does anybody really wear a plastic sweat suit?

I don’t know about plastic sweat suits, but does anyone remember the “Slim Suit”?

• Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

believes that Apostle Paul warned the Colossians not to wear plastic sweat suits

I am getting far too much entertainment imagining the Apostles in plastic sweat suits. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

She Who Made An Entire Religion About Eating thinks you are far too obsessed with food because you shop for veggies and cook. 

Eating healthy food makes you fatter because you only want to eat junk food and you will. Nobody likes salad, so there.  We also learn that walking down a different grocery store aisle  forces you buy clothes that are suitable for  taller people. (I would love to be a couple of inches taller but this method has yet to work. Perhaps I have not found the right aisle yet.)

• Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

We also learn that walking down a different grocery store aisle  forces you buy clothes that are suitable for  taller people.

I would say wtf but she's kind of right in that if I walk down the confectionary aisle I may well need bigger clothes... but not for height reasons, dammit. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

Therapy makes you fat. Because Gwen said so.

Suppose there is a person who gives all their focus to God. How long do you think they survive in heavy traffic?

Screenshot_20210427-104344__01.thumb.jpg.e13809b68358d769d621cb126a0a15c3.jpg

And how did God grow up to be so spoiled, self centered and egotistical that this is what he wants from his perspective? Everybody focused on him all day every day and not giving a shit about anything else?

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

And how did God grow up to be so spoiled, self centered and egotistical that this is what he wants from his perspective? Everybody focused on him all day every day and not giving a shit about anything else?

do we know anything about her parents?

After a bit of digging I only found this mention of her dad but nothing about her mom:

About the Founder of Weigh Down Ministries

GWEN SHAMBLIN, M.S., R.D.
Registered Dietitian, Master's degree in food and nutrition, University Instructor Foods and Nutrition 5 years

Gwen Shamblin was born and raised in Memphis, Tennessee, with a strong faith and foundational values. She grew up with a medical background, making rounds with her belated father, Walter Henley, M.D., who was a General Surgeon. She received her master's degree in food and nutrition from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. Mrs. Shamblin was an Instructor of Foods and Nutrition at the University of Memphis for five years, and she worked with the city’s Health Department for an additional five years, helping specifically in the areas of overweight, obesity, pregnancy, and child health.

A very spiritual person with a strong faith in God, Ms. Shamblin felt led to found The Weigh Down Workshop in 1986, in order to teach these principles to those who were desperately seeking to lose weight permanently. Initially offered through audiotapes and small classes taught by Mrs. Shamblin in a retail setting, this teaching began yielding unprecedented results. Participants were not only losing their weight while eating regular foods, but they were using the same Bible-based principles to turn away from other addictions such as smoking or alcohol abuse.

By 1992, word had begun to spread about Weigh Down, and churches from all over the country asked if they could host Weigh Down seminars for their church members. The program was packaged for seminar use, churches began to sign up, and the media began to pay attention. The growth was explosive. By the late 1990s, Weigh Down was internationally known in most Protestant, Catholic, and Evangelical churches. Gwen Shamblin and The Weigh Down Workshop was featured on such shows as 20/20, Larry King Live, and The View, as well as in such magazines as Good Housekeeping and Woman’s Day. In 1997, Mrs. Shamblin responded to the nation’s request to offer the Weigh Down principles in book format, and The Weigh Down Diet was published by Doubleday, Inc. The book quickly became a million-seller as people discovered the secrets to losing weight quickly and permanently while finding a new relationship with God.

Feeling led to go even further in helping others to live fully for God, in 1999, Gwen Shamblin, along with other individuals who shared her passion for God, founded Remnant Fellowship Church. Remnant Fellowship Churches are now found in over 100 cites worldwide where members hear convicting and encouraging messages of the importance of putting God and His will first in your life. Twice-weekly church services are webcast live from the original Remnant Fellowship church located outside Nashville, Tennessee, built using her own personally donated funds.

The dream of helping people turn away from the love of food and toward a love of God has turned into a ministry. Through Remnant Fellowship and the Weigh Down Workshop seminars, hundreds of people are helped daily as they break away from the pain of obesity and other addictive substance or destructive behaviors. Mrs. Shamblin is continually producing new materials for both the church and the Weigh Down Workshop, yet she takes no salary for her efforts. Funds that are received through the sale of Weigh Down products and seminar fees or through donations to the church are used to support each respectively in order to help hurting people of every nationality discover the love of God that can set them free.

from this source: http://www.weighdownathome.com/FounderGwenShamblin 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

On 4/28/2021 at 3:10 AM, quiversR4hunting said:

She grew up with a medical background, making rounds with her belated father, Walter Henley, M.D

Ok, I realise that is probably a regional usage but it reads to me as "she grew up making rounds with her constantly late father..." which is amusing me a lot.

On 4/28/2021 at 3:10 AM, quiversR4hunting said:

The dream of helping people turn away from the love of food and toward a love of God

Weirdest dream ever, and says a crapload more about Gwen than she thinks.

7 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Don't wake up and breathe... wait, what? Oh you shouldn't both breathe and enjoy your meals.

Maybe don't breathe in at the same time as swallowing, but other than that both are essential for life, Gwen.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

• hoipolloi changed the title to Gwen Shamblin Lara 15: [29 May 2021] Gwen, Joe & 5 Others Presumed Dead in Plane Crash
  • Destiny locked this topic