IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 5: Oprah, Racism, and Gossip! Oh My!

nelliebelle1197

4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

That’s a really interesting question. I logged on to my work network at 11:00 pm so I could use an employer-funded database to look into it. Another exciting Friday night. It first came up in the mid-1990s when the Labour Party gained power, and the Royal family embarrassed itself with a spectacular series of scandals. It was first attributed to Labour politicians, and then there were articles saying that Charles agreed with the idea. There doesn’t appear to be any direct quote from Charles about it, but it’s clear that his aides have been authorized to speak for him. In almost thirty years, no one has ever suggested that maybe it’s not true.

We will see what Charles will do with the monarchy in the next 10 years when he will become King. He may even be able to not change much, if he doesn't want to, given his advanced age when he will get the job. But William can't refuse change to slim down the monarchy.  When this pandemic is over and Britian will feel the full force of the Brexit, public opinion can change pretty drastic on the Royal family. It can be a hard sell why you need several working royals distantly related to the ruling monarch and spend millions on tax money on them visiting retirement homes to wink and smile, while the people paying these taxes feel the full force of economic downturn.

Edited by klein_roeschen
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

The slimmed down Monarchy will come naturally as the Queens very elderly relatives who perform Royal duties retire or die.  The Williams own only Titled cousins are not and will never be working Royals in the first place. 

In 10 years presumably it Will only be Charles, Camilla William Kate Edward and Sophie with the Children waiting in the wings. That’s about the Size of the other current Modern Royal families and should be sufficient But if more are necessary they can most pull in the The Wessex kids as well.   

• Upvote 1

With all the talk about how green the millions of those millionaires are - I do wonder how much are assets that are easily accessible. While it’s undeniable that non of them have to wonder if they maxed out their credit card, I would assume that a lot of their estimated worth is actually tied up. All those land, properties, art, furniture, businesses and so on are a big part but nothing is money they can just use to pay bills. With the pretty grey lines between money they get for doing royal jobs, crown assets and private wealth I have never seen a good schematic how rich the Queen, herself actually is and how much is actually accessible in real money. Her private stock portfolio is probably massive as well and brings in more every year, but the base is probably well set in long term investments and cannot be withdrawn just like that. A lot is probably also put in trusts and whatnot for tax reasons, so not that easy to take on a whim.

We know that Harry and Wiliam inherited money, but you would assume it was well invested too.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

Iirc it wasn't the fact that she wore pants. But she watched a game there with a friend and for her security, a whole section of the seats around her where empty. All while on maternity leave after the birth of her son and not attenting official functions. I don't care about her watching a tennis match while on maternity leave, but I get why people are getting angry. All these seats could have gotten to people also wanting to watch the match, but where left empty for her security.

There was also a man who was taking a selfie with the court in the background.  He got warned off by Meghan’s security people because they thought he was taking a photo of her, which was seen as being unnecessarily heavy handed.

10 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It’s not automatic, and if Charlotte prefers a private life, he might not do it. Also, Anne has to be dead first, and given her mother and grandmother’s longevity, it could be 30 years or more before it’s an option.

Even when the title is available it might not be given straight away. The previous holder was Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood who died in 1968 but Anne wasn’t created Princess Royal until 1987.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Topaz said:

There was also a man who was taking a selfie with the court in the background.  He got warned off by Meghan’s security people because they thought he was taking a photo of her, which was seen as being unnecessarily heavy handed.

It WAS heavy handed. I remember that incident and I thought it was ridiculous she expected no one to take her photo from a distance. Up in her face - sure, I get it. But from a distance in your own seat? Nah... you’re fair game in public for a photo. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

42 minutes ago, viii said:

It WAS heavy handed. I remember that incident and I thought it was ridiculous she expected no one to take her photo from a distance. Up in her face - sure, I get it. But from a distance in your own seat? Nah... you’re fair game in public for a photo. 

Although I generally don’t like the comparisons between them, it was widely observed that Kate sits with other spectators around her. What happened to the Royal box? Wasn’t that a thing when Diana went to Wimbledon? After Meghan talked about the threats against her, I wonder if it was a more reasonable security request than it seemed at the time. The Firm doesn’t seem to know what to do when the highest ranking Royals aren’t under the highest threat.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Although I generally don’t like the comparisons between them, it was widely observed that Kate sits with other spectators around her. What happened to the Royal box? Wasn’t that a thing when Diana went to Wimbledon? After Meghan talked about the threats against her, I wonder if it was a more reasonable security request than it seemed at the time. The Firm doesn’t seem to know what to do when the highest ranking Royals aren’t under the highest threat

13 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Although I generally don’t like the comparisons between them, it was widely observed that Kate sits with other spectators around her. What happened to the Royal box? Wasn’t that a thing when Diana went to Wimbledon? After Meghan talked about the threats against her, I wonder if it was a more reasonable security request than it seemed at the time. The Firm doesn’t seem to know what to do when the highest ranking Royals aren’t under the highest threat.

This was on one of the outside courts so there was no royal box.

• Thank You 3

11 minutes ago, Topaz said:

This was on one of the outside courts so there was no royal box.

I heard there were around 70 seats in the Royal Box and a lot of non-royals are often invited to sit there (is there an indoor Royal box at Wimbledon? William and Kate always appear to be outdoors). I thought in this case she wanted to be the only person in the Royal box and there was some grumbling about so many seats being unavailable due to this. It’s been awhile since I read about the incident, so I could be misremembering some details.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, DalmatianCat said:

I heard there were around 70 seats in the Royal Box and a lot of non-royals are often invited to sit there (is there an indoor Royal box at Wimbledon? William and Kate always appear to be outdoors). I thought in this case she wanted to be the only person in the Royal box and there was some grumbling about so many seats being unavailable due to this. It’s been awhile since I read about the incident, so I could be misremembering some details.

I’d thought it wasn’t Centre Court, but as you said it’s been a while so I’m not sure either.

I think there’s just the one, outdoor royal box. I’ve never been there though I’d love to. 

Edit: I Googled a bit and it appears it was court one and she was sitting in the members area, so other members weren’t able to sit there because of the seats being kept empty.

Edited by Topaz
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I don’t mind so much that they kept a wide berth of seats empty around her. We have no idea what kind of security issues she was under at the time. It was the photography rule that I found so unreasonable and frankly, ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I wonder if Harry and co will invited to the balcony with the family next coronation or just show up on their own to be photographed or do interviews and color commentary with maybe get invited to private family dinners or would that be too awkward you think? 

Edited by tabitha2

Considering that plenty of non-working royals attend public functions with the royal family, I don’t think Harry and Meghan will be any different. I’m sure they will be invited to multiple events once the pandemic is over. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

21 minutes ago, viii said:

Considering that plenty of non-working royals attend public functions with the royal family, I don’t think Harry and Meghan will be any different. I’m sure they will be invited to multiple events once the pandemic is over. 

That's true, and in the event that Prince Philip dies, they would most likely attend the funeral, as he is still Harry's grandfather. The Queen's Platinum Jubilee is next year, and I'm sure they'll be invited to attend those events.

• Upvote 8

This the official policy as regards The Sussex claims and interview:

“The royal household, No 10 and Lambeth Palace agreed that the best thing to do was run what is known to cricketers as a “dead bat” strategy, minimising their response so as not to fuel the furore. Johnson repeatedly declined to make any comment and ministers were told to do the same. Lambeth Palace refused to correct Meghan’s mistake about the fake wedding, leaving Team Sussex to clarify their error."

Lambeth Palace is where the rehearsal dinner that for some strange  reason Meg said was a real wedding/blessing took place.  

33 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Lambeth Palace is where the rehearsal dinner that for some strange  reason Meg said was a real wedding/blessing took place.  

It is not. Lambeth Palace is the London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury, i.e. Lambeth Palace in this case refers to the Archbishop's office or spokesperson. 

The rehearsal + blessing presumably took place in the grounds of Kensington Palace ('our backyard') and was performed by the Archbishop of Canterbury. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

I think saying little to nothing is kind of a bad idea I feel like they ought to say something like "we feel terrible she experienced her time in the RF this way, and we certainly take claims of racism seriously. We need to look into these matters further." 

It's basically what the official statement from the palace has been, but it's what all the royals plus Downing street ought to say when asked. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

On 3/11/2021 at 3:06 PM, Destiny said:

I’m glad they fixed that at least. I still think the whole concept of born to rule is weird and forked up. 

I’m also pretty sure that I didn’t know Edward existed either. 

The only time I’ve voluntarily cared about royals is when i keep hearing that there’s a big wedding coming up because BFF and I enjoy being total bitchy stereotypes about the often questionable fashion and hat choices being made. 

Can I sit with you & your BFF? For years my family have found it hilarious that my interest in awards shows begins and ends with the pre-event promenade of fashion! If some celebrity changes outfits after entering the venue, I have to learn about it while waiting in line at the grocery later that week and seeing the outfit on a magazine cover later.  I guess I’m a little like Teri Maxwell & her husband Steve, in that! Ha!

• Haha 3

I'm also one who mostly watches award shows to see what people are wearing, and was a big fan of the Fashion Police.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Awards shows and royal weddings are boring, but I love being really really bitchy about what people are wearing. Obviously I would never behave like that in public but with BFF at home with the doors closed where no one could be hurt is fun.

• Upvote 7

On 3/12/2021 at 1:01 AM, Anna Bolinas said:

The stuff about passing titles through the female line is funny too because the Hanovers/Saxe-Coburgs/Windsors are only on the throne because of the female line. Depending on where you start, their claim to the British throne comes either from Margaret Tudor, Queen of Scotland (daughter of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York) or from Margaret's great-great-granddaughter Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia. Margaret gave the Scottish Stuarts their claim to the British throne. She had James V of Scotland, he had Mary, Queen of Scots, she had James VI/I of Scotland and England, and he had Elizabeth Stuart. Elizabeth married Frederick, King of Bohemia and Elector Palatine; her daughter, Sophia, married the Elector of Hanover; and Sophia's son, George, inherited the British throne once the main male Stuart line died out. But Sophia herself would have inherited if she had outlived her childless cousin, Queen Anne of England. 

All the stuff about women not being able to have titles or pass titles because of ~tradition~ amounts to a hill of beans if you really, really need to keep certain properties or titles within a family that only has female heirs. But it all gets obscured because of misogyny.

Also, to be more on topic--the Queen could give any of her descendants some kind of title. Even descendants of questionable legitimacy could get titles. Most of Charles II's bastards were given titles (and many of his mistresses were also given peerages in their own right, that they could even pass down to their children). And for legitimate children of younger children, they also are often given titles. Queen Victoria issued a Royal Warrant granting the title of "Highness" to the children of her youngest daughter, Princess Beatrice, even though they technically should have had a lesser title being the children of the youngest UK princess and a minor German prince. I know the circumstances of who wanted what title for Archie are muddled, but the argument that Archie can't possibly have the title of Prince or Highness because he's too far down the line of succession is bunk.

You are actually incorrect on Archie. The Letters Patent of 1917 limits royal titles. Elizabeth issued a revision for William’s children  because he is in the direct line and Charles was not yet king. It is not his place in line of succession - it is the fact his grandfather is not yet king. She is not going to extend it further to Harry’s children because Charles can give them the titles if he chooses without any revision. 

On 3/12/2021 at 1:47 AM, just_ordinary said:

I don’t think anyone disputes the fact that he could have gotten a title, but that the BRF has decreased the titles that they give out over the centuries and that this will continue. I actually think it wasn’t even the Queen’s call. She knows her time is up sooner than later and she will try to make the transition for Charles as easily as she can (because the monarchy and he are polarising and bring lots of conflicted discussions). Now, he doesn’t have to kick them out personally (like King Gustav did with his grandchildren) when the time comes. She might have not have some thing against a title for Archie but it just doesn’t fit with the agenda. 

That is obviously all my personal take on it and maybe wishful thinking. I do believe they need to cut down drastically to be able to survive. I think titles without real material benefits could be given out still. It doesn’t cost anything but fits in nicely when you bring all members out. If I were them I would start bringing out the bling more and get a better stylist for Kate for the big events (she tries, but she just leaves me underwhelmed. Forget the Cambridge lovers knot for gods sake. Someone spunky like Charlotte might carry it better, but it crushes Kate. Not enough puffy hair to sit on), start a yearly gushing documentary like the Swedes (now whoever came up with that idea and sold it so them was a PR genius), develop a better social media and photo release strategy (maybe I actually apply when BP looks for employees again).

If they could get a Anne, Camilla, Sophie, Kate, Bea and Eugenie all decked out regularly- they would be gold. Sadly- they have a lack of high level young and pretty females (from an easy PR point of view).

Archie has a title - he is an earl. 

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Thank You 8

“Prince William and Charles 'speak to Harry for the first time since Oprah interview' - but talks were 'unproductive': Meghan Markle's friend Gayle King reveals on US morning TV show that couple told her about discussions.

She said: "Well I'm not trying to break news, but I did actually call them to see how they were feeling, and it's true, Harry has talked to his brother and he has talked to his father too. The word I was given was that those conversations were not productive. But they are glad that they have at least started a conversation."

No member of the Royal Family has yet spoken to Meghan after the interview”

These two are unreal! A  private family conversation and immediately blabs to Oprah’s best friend to report on her talk show? 

Untrustworthy and trifling clowns.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

These two are unreal!

I agree! Prince William and Prince Charles are unreal! After Harry and Meghan shared their vulnerabilities and their story, it's hard to believe that a father and brother wouldn't realize the hurt they have caused and try to have a more productive conversation.

It's also sad that nobody else in the royal family has reached out to them after she shared her hurt. 

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 3

Really!? Are you serious?

They Threw the British Monarchy under the bus on Prime time Television by labeling them in effect Racists who did not care about her  or her infant sons Safety, Brought up a three year old story about how Kate Made her Cry, cried about how mean his family were by not giving them massive amounts of money to support their unsustainable lifestyle or permanent security for Archie for the next 16 years. And just flat out lied about things. Now they tell a talk show host about private family talks. 

The British Royals have released one clear and succinct statement and launched an investigation by an outside agency with  One of the accusers had been fired. All the while going about their Jobs and honoring the mothers in their lives. 

Fuck reaching  out to them! I would not even take their calls. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic