IGNORED

Need Advice Catching Injured Cat

The Mother Dust

6 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I found a document from Alley Cat Allies and ASPCA about trapping cats.  There'a lot you can ignore since it is mostly about TNR but there might be some useful information there.

TNR workshop handbook PDF

Yes they are great! Do they have info on trap extenders? That might be very helpful. Small piece of cardboard. Please let me know if you have any other specific questions or want pics of various setups, I spend a lot of time doing this and would love to help. And also I’ve never used a sedative, but can you find any rescue group near you? A drop trap might be very useful, but they are expensive and also much easier to use with multiple people.

• Thank You 1

17 hours ago, SoConfused said:

Yes they are great! Do they have info on trap extenders? That might be very helpful. Small piece of cardboard. Please let me know if you have any other specific questions or want pics of various setups, I spend a lot of time doing this and would love to help. And also I’ve never used a sedative, but can you find any rescue group near you? A drop trap might be very useful, but they are expensive and also much easier to use with multiple people.

Oh thank you so much.  I will definitely take you up on that. Neighbor reported kitty was sleeping on her deck this morning, next to the open trap. Ugh!  We are going to try not feeding him now for a couple of days and see if he gets hungry enough to go in.  With a drop trap, does someone have to be there when the cat walks under it, to activate the trap?   

6 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

Oh thank you so much.  I will definitely take you up on that. Neighbor reported kitty was sleeping on her deck this morning, next to the open trap. Ugh!  We are going to try not feeding him now for a couple of days and see if he gets hungry enough to go in.  With a drop trap, does someone have to be there when the cat walks under it, to activate the trap?   

Yep, you actually need two people to use a drip trap and much easier if one person is familiar with it as it’s a two part situation (you transfer into a box trap). Sounds like this cat might be somewhat friendly? Make them hungry and then bribe with really stinky food. You can even feed in trap with doors unhooked to practice so cat gets used to going in. 

• Thank You 2

Spoiler

gray2.thumb.jpeg.44628edf7624d675c6d04aee0de8dc09.jpeg

I have some updates.  My neighbor put the trap on her deck for a couple of days and caught a possum and a raccoon but no kitty.  Then he (we are calling him Gray) disappeared for a couple of days. :-(.  I took the trap back to my deck and the cat showed back up on my neighbors deck.  We have now given up on using this standard trap to catch him so I closed it up but kept it on my deck with the intention of returning it to humane society today.  

Over the weekend I had left a voicemail with the humane society's community cat guy and he called me back today.  He is going to come over on Wednesday to see if he can help us catch Gray.  While I was on the phone with him, look who showed up on my deck!  I was able to get some good photos of his injury. What do you guys think happened to his paw?  :-(. 

12 minutes ago, The Mother Dust said:
  Hide contents

ignore this self quote, i messed up this post, ugh

Spoiler

gray3.thumb.jpeg.e454f5c2da8b9f5355e1ba7e1a52cfc6.jpeg

Spoiler

gray2.thumb.jpeg.44628edf7624d675c6d04aee0de8dc09.jpeggray2.thumb.jpeg.44628edf7624d675c6d04aee0de8dc09.jpeg

Oh, this is a bit embarrasing, but those white dots you see are just my dirty window....it looks like its schmutz on the kitty, but its not.   Its smudges left by my indoor cats. 

Edited by The Mother Dust
  • Love 4