IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

Bluebirdbluebell

Free Breakdown of the new Seriously Dads. Huh? I thought the title was Seriously Steve. Did he change it? Anyway this one is called "Fearful or Bold." It's a big improvement on last week and I really like one thing he says. 

Many believers have recently been focused on the events prior to and including Christ’s crucifixion and resurrection. Then attention typically turns to the disciples, hiding in fear for their lives. Their hopes and dreams of reigning with Jesus were likely exchanged for mental images of being crucified themselves.

Yes generally after the story of the crucifixion, the attention does shift to disciples for a while. Yes in the beginning, they feared for their lives. 

And Thank You Steve for saying:

Have you ever imagined yourself in that position? What a blessing that most of us have not experienced persecution for our faith. 

A huge thanks to Steve for this! I'm so happy to hear this. It's one of the most reasonable things he's ever said. I'm so tired of hearing fundies whine about being perscuted: from Marlin Bontrager to Jill Rodrigues to Bro Gary, etc.  Nobody cares about your faith; we mostly just want you to leave the rest of us alone and treat others well. 

I wonder how many of you are fearful to share your faith. Are you actively sharing your faith? “… as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you” (John 20:21). The question isn’t how many you have led to Christ, but are you sowing seeds? If we truly love the Lord Jesus and others, may we not miss any opportunity.

I admit to being somewhat insecure about sharing my faith, because sometimes I have trouble explaining what I believe.

On the other hand, usually I don't share my faith not out of fear, but out of  neighborly tact. I don't it's right to talk about faith with people who don't wish to discuss it.  I had at least one facebook friend share this quote about religion being like someone's dick.  

“And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these” (Mark 12:30-31).

Yes love thy neighbor by respecting their religious views as they respect your religious views. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Don't talk to them about Jesus and they won't talk to you about the Flying Spaghetti Monster. 

Also loving your neighbor means wearing a facemask to slow the rate of transmission of a deadly disease. That's for all the non-social distancing fundies out there. 

(To be continued.)

Argh. Most of your "To Be Continued" posts aren't actually continued in the next post. Maybe a vague carrying over of the same themes. Just end it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HerNameIsBuffy

• MamaJunebug

• Bluebirdbluebell

• fundiefan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would love to hear the following conversation: STEVE: (Son), did you read the Bible today? I know you ate today! SON: Actually, Dad, I'm fasting today. If it's good enough for the Jews on

And from the POV of a daughter whose mom never said what she wanted because she didn't want to be a burden - please keep doing it! Your kids will eventually be very grateful you did. My mom passe

Rather than his daily bible reading obsession being about a rogue son, I think it all has more to do with the fact he is in an actual church right now. One where he didn't make all the rules and is no

Posted Images

mango_fandango

It was Dad’s Corner first, then it changed to Seriously Dads. I don’t think it’s ever been Seriously Steve. Although I guess that’s what we say every time we read one of those posts...

Edited by mango_fandango
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
Bluebirdbluebell

Another Free Breakdown of a new Seriously Dad column: Loving Whom or What.

This is indeed a continuation of part 1 above.

Fear is often the reason why people don’t share Christ (I’ve had first hand experience.)

I see reluctance to share Christ as kindness, tact and respect. 

Also I'm surprised Steve admits to being afraid.

However, the compelling, overcoming force in our sharing are the greatest commandments which are to love our God and neighbor (Mark 12:30-31).  Our relationship and love drives us to obey our Savior. 

Again I see loving your neighbor as a reason not to share your faith. I interpret "loving your neighbor" as respecting those who don't share my religious beliefs.

This is so important that in each of the four gospels we are commanded to tell others. 

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” (Matthew 28:19). 

“Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature” (Mark 16:15). 

“And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem” (Luke 24:47). 

“Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you” (John 20:21). 

In the blog article, the four quotes are numbered, but when I copied and pasted them the numbers disappeared. 

The "John quote" is less specific than the other ones.  I think plenty of clergy manage to share and live their faith without pestering random people.

If we haven’t been sent elsewhere, we are to go to those in the locality we are living. The “why” is terribly important. It is because we love the One Who died for us, AND we love our neighbor

Ah, how Steve and Teri justify their harassing of the bag boys  and also keeping their whole family in a very small area of the world. It used to be within a one-mile radius.

If you are lacking love, likely that is a problem of either not saved, or love of self, and/or love of the world. That means something is broken. 

That first sentence could have been much more clear.

If lacking love, that could a problem of growing up in abusive home, an isolated lifestyle, etc. If you mean lacking love of Jesus, then maybe it's not what they want. Loving Jesus is a choice and loving your neighbor means respecting them and their lifestyle choices.

“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him” (1 John 2:15). 

Of course this is how he ends it. 

Hey Steve, have you heard of Preachers and Sneakers?

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
MamaJunebug

I could not sell a bottle of water to a thirsty man.

So my witnessing to others has to be in my attitude, my activities, my overtures and responses to people and situations.  Hopefully, others will ask how I can be so kind, calm, giving and hopeful, and I can say "I believe in the promises of Christianity."  

----------------------

Steve Maxwell, this story is for you:

My religion teacher and his wife had absolutely no physical contact until they were pronounced wife and husband.  They have gone on to have 9 children and they lead kosher lives.  My teacher is online at least 10 times a week delivering teachings in a very prepared, scholarly manner.  He tries to be sure that he's answered any questions from us, made things clear.

That said: Recently he talked about how the pandemic caused the rabbis to re-approach some of the laws of Sabbath.  The discussion moved into areas of emergency health care and becoming physicians, and how the decision to practice medicine is something of a holy call.

With me so far? Okay, think of Christopher and your strong advice not to pursue paramedic studies because he might have to see naked ladies.

The rabbi quoted a portion of the Talmud in which the sages say: "If you are called to a life of medicine and you ignore the call because of selfish reasons, you are a terrible sinner."

A terrible sinner, Steve.

Apparently your Little Steve was pretty excitable, back in the day, and you might even have touched a woman or two to whom you weren't married.  Pushing your neurotic reactions onto your son to make him abandon a career spent helping others? That makes you a terrible sinner, Steve.

I'm just the messenger, friend.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2