IGNORED

Adam Kinzinger: The Last Decent Republican?

Black Aliss

So Congressman Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) was just another GOP face in the crowd until last summer when he began denouncing Qanon and other conspiracy theories being touted by the right. After the 2020 election he really manned up and denounced Trump's baseless lies about election fraud. On January 7 he became the first GOP member of the house to call for Trump's removal from office via the 25th Amendment. And then he supported the second impeachment. All of which might have gone unnoticed if eleven members of his family hadn't sent him a two-page letter that began with "Oh my, what a disappointment you are to us and to God". The letter went on to call him a traitor, disowning him, and asserting that in turning away from Trump, Kinzinger had joined the devil's army. Which also would not have been noticed had they not sent copies of that letter to his father, all the other members of the Illinois congressional delegation, and the New York Times.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/read-the-scathing-letter-from-gop-rep-adam-kinzingers-disgusted-family-members-disowning-him-for-going-against-trump-11613495748

Yesterday The Atlantic published an article that goes into the evolution of Kinzinger's conscience and here's where it gets into FreeJinger territory:

If military service shaped Kinzinger in some important ways, Christianity has shaped him in others. Kinzinger was raised as an independent fundamentalist Baptist until he was 20, but the experience left him alienated. “That was a really damaging, in my mind, a very damaging religion,” he said. I asked him why.

“The best way to put it is your salvation is by faith alone unless you do something wrong—and then you were never saved in the first place,” he said. “And by the way, we have these really strict rules that you have to follow that nobody can follow, but everybody at the church is going to act like they are and you’re the only one that isn’t.”

For Kinzinger, that sort of legalism took “the joy out of Christianity.” He resolved to find something different; today, he considers himself a nondenominational Protestant. “The second part of my life has been the journey to really, truly understand what faith is,” he said.

This new phase in his pilgrimage has made him less rigid. “I think as I’ve gotten older and I’ve kind of journeyed on in my faith, I understand what salvation is. I understand that Christ spent his time hanging out with sinners, not great people—and not because they were sinners but because that’s just where his compassion was.” Twenty years ago, he admitted, he had a hard time seeing how a Democrat could be a Christian; today, it’s easy for him to understand. “There are frankly roles for Christians on all sides of the aisle,” he told me. And like many Christians, Kinzinger believes the Trump years, in which so many conservative evangelicals enthusiastically embraced a man who embodies an ethic antithetical to biblical Christianity, have done untold harm to the Christian witness.

“My goal is, frankly, to admonish the Church for the real damage it has done to Christianity,” Kinzinger said. “The thing I’m always asked, and I don’t think anybody with a straight face can answer differently—maybe they can, but—‘Do you think the reputation of Christianity is better today or five years ago?’ And I think most people would say it was better five years ago.”

Kinzinger’s stance has earned him some critics. One of Trump’s fawning court pastors, Franklin Graham—the son of the prominent evangelical preacher Billy Graham—attacked the 10 Republicans who supported impeachment. “It makes you wonder what the thirty pieces of silver were that Speaker Pelosi promised for this betrayal,” Graham wrote on Facebook.

“He said we took pieces of silver from Nancy Pelosi because—what?” Kinzinger asked me. “Trump is Jesus Christ? Christians have got to open their eyes and be like, ‘What is happening?’”

Kinzinger is now on a mission to save his party. I'm not optimistic he can pull that off. I suspect he has committed political suicide. The article is a long read, but well worth your time. The Atlantic has a paywall but allows (I think) 3 free articles a month. So if you can't get past the paywall today (Feb. 28) try again tomorrow. You won't regret it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/02/man-who-refused-bow/618156/

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 10

• Black Aliss changed the title to Adam Kinzinger: the last decent Republican?
  • Coconut Flan changed the title to Adam Kinzinger: The Last Decent Republican?

Wow. While I probably disagree with Kinzinger on many (political) things - Kudos to him for being open and honest and for so much soul-searching. I can relate in many ways to that soul-searching journey.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

I disagree with Kinzinger on so many things. However, I am proud to be able to say he is my representative. I've sent him several messages thanking him for his integrity and courage. I live in a very small town with only three Democrats (they were glad when I moved here because "we were down to just three after Bob died"), but they have all been impressed with Kinzinger. When he first ran, a women's community group invited several candidates to their meeting. He was the only one who showed up, and he spent most of the time listening and asking questions. It's exactly what I want in the person representing me.

• Upvote 11

On 2/28/2021 at 7:41 PM, molecule said:

I disagree with Kinzinger on so many things. However, I am proud to be able to say he is my representative. I've sent him several messages thanking him for his integrity and courage. I live in a very small town with only three Democrats (they were glad when I moved here because "we were down to just three after Bob died"), but they have all been impressed with Kinzinger. When he first ran, a women's community group invited several candidates to their meeting. He was the only one who showed up, and he spent most of the time listening and asking questions. It's exactly what I want in the person representing me.

Again, not aiming to put him on a pedestal, but isn't that exactly what  GOVERNMENT  should be? In theory, I should not have automatic disdain for anyone that is a supporter of an opposing party. I, personally, don't believe in everything that AOC stands for. But I do believe in a party that represents diverse thought (because they represent diverse people!). AOC and Joe Manchin should BOTH exist in the Democratic party. So long as there are Americans with more conservative views, they deserve representation for those views. But today is different, people aren't separated by a difference of opinion on legislative policy; it's a difference of believing in equal human rights for all and being against that. Unfortunately, I am unable to reserve judgment for anybody that tells me they voted for Trump, specifically in 2020. Because what is happening is NOT government.

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

Kenzinger seems to be consistently decent.  He could be a role model for his fellow Republicans who want to ride on the decency train...but his fellow Rs seem to be too afraid, too corrupt, too compromised, or too crazy to go there.

• I Agree 6

• 4 weeks later...

I love the description of the former guy running around, trying to find women's clothing, to get on the first lifeboat.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

On 2/28/2021 at 5:37 PM, Black Aliss said:

Yesterday The Atlantic published an article that goes into the evolution of Kinzinger's conscience and here's where it gets into FreeJinger territory:

I somehow missed this post (or forgot) so catching up again on this, over two months later.  I had been noticing and appreciating Kinzinger's remarks, but assumed he was a still a regular fundy conservative, who decided to call out Trump.  

Kinzinger: "We have a band playing on the deck, telling everybody it’s fine, and meanwhile Donald Trump’s running around, trying to find women’s clothing and get on the first lifeboat.

Damn, this way past throwing shade, beyond a burn, it's some serious torching of Trump and 100% accurate. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

• 4 weeks later...

I bet the orange man will have a melt down after hearing this:

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

• 4 weeks later...