IGNORED

Maxwell 46: Relegating the Kids' Table to the Vestibule

Coconut Flan

I sure hope Teri isn't giving her granddaughter an "appetite' for becoming a heavy equipment operator when she grows up by reading that book about construction to her!*

Tsk, tsk Teri.  :penguin-no:

*Honestly, that would be great!  Especially if Steve were alive to see it.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

I actually wondered about a Maxwell GIRL being allowed to look at book about a "boy" book ? 

My toddler loves Good Night Good Night Construction Site. It's a really cute one! We've gotten a few construction-related ones from the library, there's one about construction ducks (Dump Truck Duck) that's pretty cute. 

• Upvote 12

4 hours ago, bertnee said:

Does anyone happen to know what book Teri is reading with Elizaebeth, the one with construction vehicles? It looks like one my kid would like. 

The Maxwells have a reoccuring feature called "Grandma's Book Bag". It's about the books Teri reads to her grandchildren. 

They mention quite a few books about trucks. It's apparently one of the approved topics for children's books in their household. 

The book Teri is reading to Elizabeth seems to be Pull the Tab: Trucks by Roger Priddy.

It could also be Follow the Trail Trucks published by Dorling Kindersley. 

Here is a link to all their "Grandma's Book Bag" posts. I found it by googling and then clicking their tag "Grandma's Book Bag". 

The Maxwells have an Amazon affiliate link so they get money back if you order with their links, but you can see the titles and get ideas. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

Are the Maxwells buying new books or getting  library books to refresh GM’s book bag? If not, maybe the truck and construction books were Teri’s boys’ books? 

• Upvote 3

I am shook.

At least one of Terri's recommended books involves talking animals.

Am I confusing families, or did the Maxwells at one point ban books with talking animals? (I could swear they did.  I know they don't allow books with sports.)

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

@MomJeans,  I think you are correct about the ban on books and stories about talking animals.  Yeah, that's even though there is an account in the bible of Baalam's donkey being given the power of human speech.  

• Upvote 7

My own family banned 'talking animals' but not animal stories with a nondescript narrator.  I kid you not, it was because my family believed talking animals implied witchcraft.

So I really think I did read years ago (when the adult children were children) on the Maxwell blog that they didn't allow talking animals. And yes, it makes books for kids under 7 very hard to find!

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Are the Maxwells buying new books or getting  library books to refresh GM’s book bag? If not, maybe the truck and construction books were Teri’s boys’ books? 

I think they buy new books. Joe and Elissa gave them one of the books. 

• Upvote 6

New post up about grandmas book bag. Books for older readers. She claims it’s to teach her kids/grandkids about different times in history. All of the books were around the same time so I think she meant to say teach them about different family during a time period. 

Edited by Lgirlrocks
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

On 2/25/2021 at 1:43 PM, kpmom said:

I sure hope Teri isn't giving her granddaughter an "appetite' for becoming a heavy equipment operator when she grows up by reading that book about construction to her!*

Tsk, tsk Teri.  :penguin-no:

*Honestly, that would be great!  Especially if Steve were alive to see it.

Shhhhh! Don't ruin for the kiddo!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

New post up about grandmas book bag. Books for older readers. She claims it’s to teach her kids/grandkids about different times in history. All of the books were around the same time so I think she meant to say teach them about different family during a time period. 

My kids loved The Josefina Story Quilt when they were just learning to read. I wouldn't call it a book for older readers, though. Pre-K/Kindergarten. YMMV

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

"Three of the favorites for the younger readers are from the “An I Can Read Book” series."

Teri, you fool.  It's not an "An I Can Read Book" series.  It's the "I Can Read" book series.  

Does she go to a restaurant and say "I'll have the 'An Apple Pancake' pancake"?

Edited by LilMissMetaphor
  • Upvote 13
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

21 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

My kids loved The Josefina Story Quilt when they were just learning to read. I wouldn't call it a book for older readers, though. Pre-K/Kindergarten. YMMV

If you look at the rest of the books Teri has been recommending in book bag series, most of them are picture books and skewered at preschool or even earlier.  In the public schools, those books would be in the first and second grade classrooms. Maybe even third grade. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Don't the Maxwell's discourage reading for pleasure beyond a certain age? If they still hold to this standard then I wonder what it will mean for their "story times".

Edited by browngrl
autocorrection correction
  • Upvote 11

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

Don't the Maxwell's discourage reading for pleasure beyond a certain age? If they still hold to this standard then I wonder what it will mean for their "story times".

I’m guessing that the “story times” dry up once the kids are proficient at solo reading, and are replaced with “Bible time.”

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, Hane said:

I’m guessing that the “story times” dry up once the kids are proficient at solo reading, and are replaced with “Bible time.”

This just makes me so sad. It's not just that they can't escape into other worlds through reading, it's that their faith becomes mandatory and a duty rather than something they can explore. They can't read "The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe" and discuss the allegory, they can't read the Harry Potter books and talk about the nature of good and evil, and choices in the face of fear, they can't even read "Anne of Green Gables" or Anne Frank or Frederick Douglass or Alice Walker or Ursula Le Guin or anything that might let them see a world or worlds beyond the petty boundaries imposed on them.

Hell, they can't even read Encyclopedia Brown, or probably even Peanuts and Garfield. It just makes me so sad that these kids - and adults - who seem to be pretty intelligent are just crippled intellectually because Steve is terrified of something in the outside world, and/or death. Just let them read the books, and question their faith and grow.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5

11 hours ago, Hane said:

Haven't we observed N&M's older girls sitting in on storytime where Teri's reading books geared toward preschoolers? That's probably the only "Grandma, read to me" time they get so they're clinging to it even if it means hearing Goodnight, Moon over and over while they approach their teen years.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 5

On 2/27/2021 at 8:11 AM, LilMissMetaphor said:

Teri, you fool.  It's not an "An I Can Read Book" series.  It's the "I Can Read" book series.  

I Can Haz Cheezburger?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

On 2/13/2021 at 12:28 AM, Coconut Flan said:

Sorry I am terrible at keeping track of who makes the comments that I save for titles.  I loved this one.

I take screen shots in phrases I like for titles in the Rod threads and I have gotten precisely one out of 100 attributed to the right person.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I take screen shots in phrases I like for titles in the Rod threads and I have gotten precisely one out of 100 attributed to the right person.

I think one of mine made it as a JRod title several tens of threads back, but I failed to realise for about a fortnight because I thought I'd quoted someone else (when even the people whose quote you use don't remember...)  But I was/am honoured, albeit belatedly! (I was also chuffed when my 14 year old ideal wedding dress photo made it as the first photo for a new thread - and amused because mid-1980s ruffles ftw!)

• Upvote 5

On 2/27/2021 at 8:11 AM, LilMissMetaphor said:

"Three of the favorites for the younger readers are from the “An I Can Read Book” series."

Does she go to a restaurant and say "I'll have the 'An Apple Pancake' pancake"?

When I saw that on her blog, I screamed.  It was hilarious.  That was no typo either.  She honestly thinks that is the name of the book series.  LOL  Someone needs to inform HarperCollins that they have been getting it wrong all these years.  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5

In case you haven't been reading the comments on the Grandma's book bag post, this one is a real gem.  Apparently wholesome books aren't Godly enough for St. Teri Maxwell.  There isn't enough Christianity in their day and week already, so she misses it when she's reading to her grandchildren once a week.  

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 7.08.51 PM.png

Edited by crunchycarrots
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 9
  • Thank You 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic