IGNORED

Maxwell 46: Relegating the Kids' Table to the Vestibule

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, usmcmom said:

I enjoyed visiting his home in my home state of Illinois. Galena is a wonderful historic town on its own. This puts it over the top, in my opinion. 

https://www.visitgalena.org/Venue/Ulysses-S-Grant-Home-State-Historic-Site

Have not been there yet but I visit Whitehaven - the NPS historic site in St. Louis - every chance I get. Hope you can see it some time!

https://www.nps.gov/ulsg/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

General Grant's memoirs are worth a read.  Mark Twain was not exactly a ghost writer of the memoirs, but he did lend Grant a hand to help finish them before the General died of cancer.  He needed to write them so that Julia and the children would not be destitute when he died.  He was born poor and did not want that for his widow and kids.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

General Grant's memoirs are worth a read.  Mark Twain was not exactly a ghost writer of the memoirs, but he did lend Grant a hand to help finish them before the General died of cancer.  He needed to write them so that Julia and the children would not be destitute when he died.  He was born poor and did not want that for his widow and kids.   

I'd recommend Ron Chernow's "Grant" as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, sparkles said:

Thank you and @PennySycamore too. 
I just treated myself to “American Ulysses” by Ronald C. White. I don’t often buy books, so I hope this doesn’t disappoint!!! 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Thank you and @PennySycamore too. 
I just treated myself to “American Ulysses” by Ronald C. White. I don’t often buy books, so I hope this doesn’t disappoint!!! 

Read American Ulysses not long ago and can highly recommend. His bio of Lincoln is also very good. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, postscript said:

Read American Ulysses not long ago and can highly recommend. His bio of Lincoln is also very good. 

Now I’m really anticipating it! 

• Upvote 3

On 3/25/2021 at 4:57 PM, sparkles said:

Anything by Ron Chernow is excellent! If you like Hamilton, he literally wrote the book. 

I also really like David McCullough for narrative style history. I'm currently reading his book on the American pioneers and it's great. 

----

Edited to add another recommendation for Alibris for all your book buying needs. I buy so many books and rarely pay more than $5 for a like-new copy of anything. I am not affiliated with the site or any of its sellers at all (but yo, Alibris PR, if you see this, I have no qualifications beyond reading excessively but I think I'd be an excellent fit).

Edited by Joe Pukepail
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 6

Update from Anna Marie— healing from hernia surgery is going well, will start a new medication soon for cancer protocol. She was apparently having to avoid running, jumping, skipping etc for years due to fear of aggravating the hernia. That sounds absolutely awful with so many young children. And a sweet picture of her with Sarah (Gracie) and the kids. Sarah “introduced” the post and encourages us to get right with the lord with resurrection Sunday approaching. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

So Anna had the hernia for years?  For some reason I thought is was newly discovered recently.

It sounds like she had it before her cancer was diagnosed.  I wonder why she didn't deal with it since it sounds like it was painful.

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

So Anna had the hernia for years?  For some reason I thought is was newly discovered recently.

It sounds like she had it before her cancer was diagnosed.  I wonder why she didn't deal with it since it sounds like it was painful.

Probably because she's either been pregnant or nursing. 

*note, I have zero knowledge of hernias and their treatment. I am merely speculating on delaying medical treatment. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

52 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Probably because she's either been pregnant or nursing. 

*note, I have zero knowledge of hernias and their treatment. I am merely speculating on delaying medical treatment. 

No knowledge of hernias either but I bet that is the reason. 

• Upvote 8

On 3/25/2021 at 10:53 AM, MamaJunebug said:

Have not been there yet but I visit Whitehaven - the NPS historic site in St. Louis - every chance I get. Hope you can see it some time!

https://www.nps.gov/ulsg/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm

Grant is all over the place in my part of Ohio. Even a local career center (high school) is named for him.

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Grant is all over the place in my part of Ohio. Even a local career center (high school) is named for him.

Good to know! Thanks. 

• Upvote 2

New blog up! 

Folding dish towels is no longer on the schedule. 

It's almost self-parody. To be fair, I'd rather read that than anything preachy or political.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

New blog up! 

Folding dish towels is no longer on the schedule. 

It's almost self-parody. To be fair, I'd rather read that than anything preachy or political.

I found this blog post to be utterly confusing. I absolutely agree with the sentiment - why spend time with a household chore that is pointless additional work? But hearing that from Teri Maxwell was so odd.

Their whole brand is about scheduling every minute of the day and having a schedule for even the most mundane of tasks, without ever asking WHY this task is even on the schedule and whether this time couldn’t be spent doing something more meaningful.

And while the entire blog post does read like a parody, I doubt the Maxwells are capable of irony and possess the level of self awareness this would require.

• Upvote 19

A post about folding dish towels. The shark. It is jumped. Seriously, Maxwells. Just pack it in already. 

ETA: Thinking about it though, I’m struck by how un-Maxwellian it actually is. Note how Teri did NOT say you could use the minutes you saved by not folding the towels for more bible time. 

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 18
  • Haha 5

I actually liked the post. Maybe because it was so .... normal? ... unmaxwellian? I can relate to avoid stupid chores. I once had a coworker who even ironed her cleanig rags. I couldn't wrap my mind around such a waste of time.

• Upvote 12

PS: I was surprised that one of the sons had the courage to question his parents' way...

However, still no Sarah. I hope she is alright!

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

I don't know how she folded towels that it took 20 minutes - a week! Even if you washed them every day, it takes 2 minutes to fold them & stuff them in a drawer. 

Also, how much time does Teri have on her hands that she thinks it prudent to calculate the minutes to come up with total amount saved for the year. Minutes. Not dollars, not hours, not miles. Minutes. 

I think she's lazy and always has been and looks to take the easiest way out possible.

As for towels in a drawer, generally, who cares? You do you, whatever works. Personally, I've always folded mine but I've also never been so desperate for down time that I am looking to shave 2 minutes off my laundry folding time. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6

I wonder what would happen if Teri realised that she also doesn't HAVE to polish the cabinets.

What would she do with all that free time?!

Daydream about Pepsi?

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1

LOL. 

I hope Teri discovers new unnecessary chores and gets into some hobby in her new free time.

Who do you think questioned the folding? Was it John/Joe? Jesse?!

• Upvote 11

I am just jealous she has a large enough kitchen space to have 2 large drawers for things LIKE unfolded towels and dishrags...lol   

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

I fold mine, separated into terry towels for drying dishes, cotton flat fabric towels for glass cleaning, and dishcloths in a separate corner of the drawer because I hate having to search for one through a pile of other towels.  I have a second drawer that is all rags because I got tired of finding my nice new hand knit cotton yarn dishcloths in the garage that were used to wash a car.   My family knows you don't grab the nice towels for dirty jobs, that's what the rags are for. 

Now if I could just train them to stay away from my good scissors, I would be a much happier person.   I have even written on the blades with shapries to say TOUCH THESE AND DIE, and find little knicks and burrs in my nice expensive fabric scissors because someone wanted to snip off a piece of wire.   GRRRRRRRRR

• Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic