IGNORED

Maxwell 46: Relegating the Kids' Table to the Vestibule

Coconut Flan

The effort it must take to find the work of the devil in the most harmless things. Life as a Maxwell has to be exhausting.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 28
  • Love 1

Wow. Actually, now that I read those words & phrases, I am honestly surprised they played at all. There is so much that I can see Steve wigging out about & trying to keep his innocent adult offspring from seeing. I started pulling out ones I was certain they'd toss, but seriously, it would be less work to pull the ones I think he would allow, simply by quantity.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

In the post I saw they were playing Apples to Apples in front of small children.

Apples to Apples also has a lot of pop culture references that the Maxwells will never get.

Honestly I probably know people who would take certain cards out of Apples to Apples, especially while playing in front of little kids.  I'm not sure if this is normal thing or not.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

In the post I saw they were playing Apples to Apples in front of small children.

Apples to Apples also has a lot of pop culture references that the Maxwells will never get.

Honestly I probably know people who would take certain cards out of Apples to Apples, especially while playing in front of little kids.  I'm not sure if this is normal thing or not.

She did point out that they omitted some of the cards from their game. And @allyisyourpally5, I’m nasty enough to want to send them Cards Against Humanity!

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

Do you guys have Cards Against Humanity? We should send them a box....

I've played Cards Against Humanity with someone who is now very not-fundie, but who grew up fundie. There were a few things she had to google and she was blushing about the fact she kept blushing.

I suspect that (in front of Steve, at least) the Maxwell girls would be clueless and confused enough that the game wouldn't even be funny. The Maxwell boys, however? They've been away at trade shows and such, haven't they? No way they're as sheltered as Steve wants people to believe.

Kind of like how PP & Zsu's "pure as the driven snow" sons knew enough to quote Eminem and Tupac in those texts that got them in hot water. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

hmmm https://www.reddit.com/r/technicallythetruth/comments/j7gww3/cards_against_humanity_never_ceases_to_deliver/

oh dear https://www.reddit.com/r/cardsagainsthumanity/comments/ez7ezi/technically_the_truth/

I was going to say that I hit my head when I was 17 and my memory stopped working for a few hours (no new memories worked) but I was fine ever since with no lasting symptoms.  But I could be wrong about that.

Anyhow the Maxblog has now graced us with a recipe from the back of a flour bag.  Not an original recipe, but one presumably seen by millions of grocery store customers.  Wow.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Anyhow the Maxblog has now graced us with a recipe from the back of a flour bag.  Not an original recipe, but one presumably seen by millions of grocery store customers.  Wow.

Ah, but Sarah adds that you don't have to use a full package of chocolate chips. Yes you do! My mother used to pull that stunt because she was beyond cheap, and getting a chocolate chip cookie with just 2 or 3 chips in it sucks.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 8

9 hours ago, sparkles said:

The effort it must take to find the work of the devil in the most harmless things. Life as a Maxwell has to be exhausting.

I have friends and relatives that blame the devil for almost anything that goes wrong in their life. If their car didn't start, it was the devil. If someone got sick, it's because they were tempting the devil. I told one of them that it was strange that the devil only was getting to them and not the rest of us. And they are all praying for March 4th, that the true president will be sworn in and the devilish imposter in the White House will be hauled out and executed. Yeah, nope. 

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 3
  • Eyeroll 8
  • WTF 10
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

Ah, but Sarah adds that you don't have to use a full package of chocolate chips. Yes you do! My mother used to pull that stunt because she was beyond cheap, and getting a chocolate chip cookie with just 2 or 3 chips in it sucks.

No, yeah .... what do you expect of the daughter of the man who limits animal crackers on birthdays? Or declares beans to have the same taste as beef?  I'm not that crazy about chocolate but I agree: If you're going to have chocolate chip cookies, have chocolate chip cookies!

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Hane said:

She did point out that they omitted some of the cards from their game. And @allyisyourpally5, I’m nasty enough to want to send them Cards Against Humanity!

Yes,  I saw the Maxwells took some of the cards out of the game. It doesn't seem like a good game for people who don't follow pop culture. I wouldn't be surprised if they no longer play that particular game.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

The cards against humanity end game, 3 cards to make a story, I won and forever will win! My 3 cards and the story I made was...... Michael Jackson wanking into a pool of childrens tears.

So bad, but thats the game ?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 1

I love Apples to Apples but I despise Cards Against Humanity and made the decision years ago to not play it. The reason is that I think A2A is about having fun, while CAH is about making fun of people, and not in a kind way but in a mean way. It is also really embarrassing for those people who don’t know what a term means but don’t want to google it because they’d rather not encounter something explicit. Some of the cards have really outdated, incredibly offensive terms and the fact that they are in a game normalizes those terms or ideas - off the top of my head I remember ‘dwarf tossing’ but there were other ones so bad they’d get me sent to the prayer closet to even mention their existence here. CAH turned my friends into people who were not as kind as they usually were and that is weird. I also think the game sexualizes women and, frankly, children, and I don’t think it’s fair to someone who may have been abused to have to deal with those issues coming up on a game night. Incest isn’t and never will be funny to someone who experienced it.

But I’m also surprisingly prudish for someone raised by hippies, and for medical reasons I have never drunk alcohol. I think the game is made for people who are at least a little inebriated and that may make it more fun to play. I have never asked my friends to not play it, just said that I don’t like it and won’t play it. (Although as we get older the game has become less funny for people overall. At least, I think it has, I haven’t been to a gathering for games in about a century at this point.) Despite this incredibly judgmental post I just made, I honestly don’t judge people for playing it. That’s their decision. And at this point, I feel like a hypocrite for ever saying no to sitting with my friends and playing a game or doing anything. I had no idea how much I’d miss those simple times until they were gone.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 4

Here’s a simple rule for determining what is/isn’t OK in Maxhell: If it’s fun or interesting it isn’t allowed.

Clear as mud?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Here’s a simple rule for determining what is/isn’t OK in Maxhell: If it’s fun or interesting it isn’t allowed.

This sums the Maxwell’s up very well.  This only thing allowed in the Maxwell house is Bible & & Jesus. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

I swear I'm not a long-lost Maxwell relation or anything but I never even heard of Cards Against Humanity before this thread. ?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, anachronistic said:

I love Apples to Apples but I despise Cards Against Humanity and made the decision years ago to not play it. The reason is that I think A2A is about having fun, while CAH is about making fun of people, and not in a kind way but in a mean way. It is also really embarrassing for those people who don’t know what a term means but don’t want to google it because they’d rather

Thanks for your review. I have heard the Cards Against Humanity but have never seen it played. I have a pretty extreme squick factor so I suspect I wouldn't enjoy it, even if I didn't have to look up any terms using Google. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

Thanks for your review. I have heard the Cards Against Humanity but have never seen it played. I have a pretty extreme squick factor so I suspect I wouldn't enjoy it, even if I didn't have to look up any terms using Google. 

I also say thank you, @anachronistic. :pb_smile: My squick factor can vary widely depending on the company, so I'm glad to be forewarned.

My husband received a set of Exploding Kittens cards from his (socially distanced) work Secret Santa. We haven't tried playing it yet, but it looks like it could be fun. Has anyone played it? I need to teach my kids more card games, like Mille Bornes, Flinch, Tripoley, and maybe Ono 99. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

CAH is not to be played by the prudish, squeamish, or among people you'd be worried about offending. Or around children. 

I would not, for example, ever under any circumstances play it in my parents' presence. Or with most of my co-workers. Or in the presence of my friend's 13 year old daughter. (Now, when she is 20 or so, sure.)

I found it really fun - it didn't feel like making fun of people to me, but more of a challenge to make others laugh (or blush, but mostly laugh). I ended up in a tie with our very extroverted pun-loving friend, which made me happy. (Also, we all only had one glass of wine or less, so that wasn't really a factor.) I feel like it'd be uncomfortable with people you aren't comfortable being open with, however. 

So if you're in a situation and someone suggests playing, I'd say maybe ask to glance through the cards first. If the things on there are things you'd be uncomfortable saying out loud in front of the company you're in, you'll know to decline. It does kind of require a twisted or dry sense of humor, I think.

Steve Maxwell would hate it.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

I have played Exploding Kittens with my just turned 30 daughter, but I remember it was fun.  

I think part of the objection some fundie have to playing cards is their historical association to Tarot cards, but the playing aspect of the cards is way older than the divination use which only dates to the 18th century. In parts of Europe, people still use Tarot cards to play games.  The Joker, btw, is The Fool of the Major Arcana.  I'd not thought of till a few minutes ago, but the song "The Fool on the Hill" is about the Fool from the Tarot.  

ETA:  I almost posted the Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 version.  If you haven't heard it, you might want to check it out on You Tube

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I stopped playing Cards Against Humanity a few years ago. I used to think it was fun because of how "edgy" it was but then I realized that if you need to make a card game that racist, ableist, and misogynistic in order for people to be fans it's probably not my scene. Guess that makes me a prude! ?‍♀️

There's also the thing where the creators had one of their only black employees forcibly committed because he disagreed with some of their ideas... And multiple employees speaking out about how toxic the office culture is.

Edited by indianabones
  • WTF 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

I'm a prude too. It truly sounds like an offensive game.  

16 hours ago, anniebgood said:

I have friends and relatives that blame the devil for almost anything that goes wrong in their life. If their car didn't start, it was the devil. If someone got sick, it's because they were tempting the devil. I told one of them that it was strange that the devil only was getting to them and not the rest of us. And they are all praying for March 4th, that the true president will be sworn in and the devilish imposter in the White House will be hauled out and executed. Yeah, nope. 

I've heard the March 4th thing too. But why is that the date Trump will be re-installed as dictator?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 2/15/2021 at 5:06 AM, allyisyourpally5 said:

Im

having vague recollections of them having Bible Time in public too - I’ve honestly got pictures in my head of them having it right in a hotel lobby and a restaurant (because they take pictures of that and nothing interesting). It must have been from when they were in the road, I know they usually slept in Uriah but I feel like on the odd occasion they had different accommodation. 
Im just picturing how I would react walking into a hotel lobby and being told to take a seat - and finding no seats, because the Maxwell family is using all of them for Bible time. Or better yet one spare in the middle!

Matthew 6:5: 

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites

are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and

in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.

Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I need to teach my kids more games, like Mille Bornes, Flinch, Tripoley, and maybe Ono 99. 

Not a card game, but it somes in a small box, and is a riot.  Pigmania, you have these two little rubber pigs, and you put them in a cup and thrown them, and you get points for how they land.  If they are tipped on their noses, it's "snouter", on their back, it's a "razor back."  There is one where one lands with the other pig on top of it, called "Makin Bacon" that might be unacceptable to some, but not if you don't make a big deal of it.     

image.png.b0a7f2d822b097d34650be79717b3e79.png

Water Works is a game where you build water systems and cards contain faucets, joints, wrenches, hoses, and other plumbing parts.  One we like but if you don't live in an area where car deer accidents are common, it doesn't make a lot of sense, it's called "Deer in the Headlights."

What about Dice?  These two games require a game board, but Sequence  is a fun game, the game board has card faces for a full deck of cards, and the goal is to get your colored chip on 5 or more cards in a sequence.  Sequence Dice is a dice driven version of the same game.       Cootie, putting bugs together, Yatzee too.  

• Thank You 4
  • Love 7

5 minutes ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

Not a card game, but it somes in a small box, and is a riot.  Pigmania, you have these two little rubber pigs, and you put them in a cup and thrown them, and you get points for how they land.  If they are tipped on their noses, it's "snouter", on their back, it's a "razor back."  There is one where one lands with the other pig on top of it, called "Makin Bacon" that might be unacceptable to some, but not if you don't make a big deal of it.   

Oh my gosh! My family played that back in the 80s! I didn't realize it was still around. :face_pig: Isn't there also a pose called a leaning jowler?I guess I'll be going on a little internet shopping trip. ?️ Thank you!

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic