IGNORED

Maxwell 46: Relegating the Kids' Table to the Vestibule

Coconut Flan

smittykins
On 3/15/2021 at 10:27 AM, SassyPants said:

My pet peeve: the words “prolly” (for probably) and “tho” (though). 

Totes adorbs!

• Haha 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PennySycamore

• MamaJunebug

• Black Aliss

• fundiefan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When certain members of my family come to visit I have be known to have prayer time after they leave. "Thank god that's over!"  

I have had many concussions in my life and one actually caused me to lose what little hearing I had in my right ear (and it was my "good" ear.) I haven't worked since.  People look at me and thin

And guess what Teri, even kids who "know Jesus"  and regularly go to Baptist Church can become racist misogynist young adults who murder multiple women in Georgia. Stick that in your holier-than-thou

Posted Images

kpmom

Gee Steve, could you be any more curt with your answer?

Susana says:

March 15, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Is this program for Canada as well as the United States?

Steve Maxwell says:

March 15, 2021 at 1:33 pm

Susana, write them and ask. Frankly, I wouldn’t expect it though because of additional shipping fees.

Susana says:

March 15, 2021 at 9:33 pm

Ok thank you. I will write them.

Edited by kpmom
Left out a word
  • Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Thank You 3
FloraKitty35
19 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

At that time Teri and the Spinsters (oh, wouldn't that be a great name for an all-girl heavy metal band?) 

I am picturing Teri & the Spinster as having kind of a punk aesthetic where they all wear frumpers, and have Siouxsie Sioux style  hair & make up (specifically the Happy House video).

• Upvote 9
  • Love 4
Black Aliss
On 3/15/2021 at 7:27 AM, SassyPants said:

My pet peeve: the words “prolly” (for probably) and “tho” (though). 

See, those are words that I would use in emails and texts with a certain subset of close friends, but never in formal written communication, or with people I don't know really well, or in speech. 

For amateur word wonks (linguists already know about this one) https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/ is an entertaining and informative blog. The author spoke at the University of Washington years ago and it was interesting during the Q&A to hear people asking for an injunction on verbing nouns or other crimes against English and having Liberman shoot them down with "That ship sailed a long time ago! Give it up already". Which hit home for me because they were linguistic crimes I have railed against and I realized they were not hills I wanted to die on either. Still, I would not make a good linguist if it requires accepting that words consistently lose their original meanings. I think when a word changes to mean something for which there was already a perfectly good word or phrase we've lost something. An oxymoron is not a "contradiction in terms", it's a specific instance of something that would normally be a contradiction in terms but in this case it's not, e.g. "jumbo shrimp".

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
Austrian Atheist
16 hours ago, usmcmom said:

I think, in photos of Anna and Christopher’s courtship days, her mother and sister are both dressed in jumpers too. Maybe I am remembering things all wrong. I wonder if Anna’s mother has made a shift in her wardrobe and if that might lead Anna to do the same. 

You are right. I went back to their old posts 2010/2011. (They didn't even touch during engagement...).

Reading those old posts I noticed that all of the Maxwells had more friends and social contacts back then than nowadays. They also shared much more on the blog and posted regularly.

Either they have started to isolate much more later on or they still have those friendships but have stopped mentioning them on the blog. Either way their life looked much more interesting than today (of course I mean for Maxwell standards.. they still were sheltered and relied on their mighty schedules).

• Upvote 12
fundiefan

Sarah has created a post that is basically a ten year old writing a "what I did over summer vacation" assignment. 

Stunted, no substance, no information, nothing interesting. And very poorly written. If they want to convince people to do things their way, or that their was is a good way, they really need to learn how to deliver messages. 

• Upvote 21
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1
LilMissMetaphor

Posts like this do the opposite of what the Maxwells hope to show: they merely illustrate how little they actually did and do in their lives.  When I was 16 I was cleaning houses, refinishing furniture, tuning pianos, hunting for meat, working in the garden, making most of my family's meals (from scratch including baking bread), travelling & learning languages, AND going to school.  That's just off the top of my head, and I'm sure others here had likewise varied experiences and skills, some probably far more.  

Meanwhile Sarah printed out reports for the dentist.        

• Upvote 17
  • WTF 1
mango_fandango

I didn’t do much when I was sixteen, but I was thinking about university! I had done plenty of stuff before then, though. 

• Upvote 15
deborahlynn1979

What a PATHETIC post. "Yeah, I studied a book about QuickBooks, but I totally don't remember the name. Just do a Google search and you'll find more information. 'K, bye!"

• Upvote 18
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
fundiefan
42 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Posts like this do the opposite of what the Maxwells hope to show: they merely illustrate how little they actually did and do in their lives.  When I was 16 I was cleaning houses, refinishing furniture, tuning pianos, hunting for meat, working in the garden, making most of my family's meals (from scratch including baking bread), travelling & learning languages, AND going to school.  That's just off the top of my head, and I'm sure others here had likewise varied experiences and skills, some probably far more.  

Meanwhile Sarah printed out reports for the dentist.        

It's pretty typical for 16 year old's to start working / get jobs, if they didn't have them before then. It's really nothing special or new. I'd been babysitting - making money - since 11 or 12 & got my first job at 16 in a grocery store. Going to school & working a job is a pretty common way of growing, learning responsibility & skills, and gaining independence. By 17 I was working pretty much full time, as I had 3 classes my last year of high school and got credit for working. 

There is a big difference though between a teenage job and adulthood. It's not that common for people to still be doing exactly what they did at 16-18 when they're almost 40. It's more common that they change jobs, go to college/trade/whatever, gain more skills, get another job, etc. 

I don't knock the working - it's the smugness of Sarah's post, as though she did something super special because her dad is super godly, while the rest of the teenagers of the world are playing games & eating junk food. 

By the way, we had an Atari when I was 16 and I worked & went to school AND played video games. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 26
  • Love 1
Lgirlrocks
8 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

It's pretty typical for 16 year old's to start working / get jobs, if they didn't have them before then. It's really nothing special or new. I'd been babysitting - making money - since 11 or 12 & got my first job at 16 in a grocery store. Going to school & working a job is a pretty common way of growing, learning responsibility & skills, and gaining independence. By 17 I was working pretty much full time, as I had 3 classes my last year of high school and got credit for working. 

There is a big difference though between a teenage job and adulthood. It's not that common for people to still be doing exactly what they did at 16-18 when they're almost 40. It's more common that they change jobs, go to college/trade/whatever, gain more skills, get another job, etc. 

I don't knock the working - it's the smugness of Sarah's post, as though she did something super special because her dad is super godly, while the rest of the teenagers of the world are playing games & eating junk food. 

By the way, we had an Atari when I was 16 and I worked & went to school AND played video games. 

Most book keeping jobs require some type of degree or certification. My grandma was a book keeper for a tailor/dress shop for years. She stopped in the late 1980’s. She didn’t have more than an 8th grade education. She may have gotten a certification though. Most businesses now a days would want someone with a degree in accounting. Maxwells aren’t keeping up with the times. 

• Upvote 16
Coconut Flan

Ouch.  She went from continuing Christopher's tracking the dental practice and following what he had done to setting up the books for a company!  Way to exaggerate tracking your family sales.  

• Upvote 17
  • Haha 3
crawfishgirl

Working for someone outside of the immediate family is probably a big deal for one of the Maxwell girls.  I wonder if the dentist was a church friend who had similar beliefs, otherwise Steve would have been worried about outside influences.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2
Tatar-tot
16 hours ago, kpmom said:

Susana says:

Steve Maxwell says:

Susana, write them and ask. Frankly, I wouldn’t expect it though because of additional shipping fees.

Susana says:

Every one of Steve’s comments have the tone that he starts or ends the comment with “YOU IDIOT” but somehow it mysteriously gets edited put before it is posted to the web. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 6
MamaJunebug
17 hours ago, kpmom said:

Susana says:

Steve Maxwell says:

Susana says:

Ladies & gentlemen, ‘Tis The Great Conversationalist, himself!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 2
HereticHick

Hey Sarah--

I too had a part time job at 16 (started at 15, actually) at my local library. But, unlike you, I had to:

--show up on time

--follow a dress code

--juggle multiple tasks, including putting long term projects on hold to deal with time sensitive "emergencies"

--answer to multiple supervisors (who were not family members or fellow parishioners)

--deal with the public, including cranky seniors, loud children and unruly teens

--enforce rules

--deposit my paycheck and manage my bank account 

• Upvote 19
HerNameIsBuffy

You guys are making me feel guilty for being so shallow and lazy at 16.

I promise you life kicked my ass later, but damn....some of you guys were awesome teenagers.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1
3splenty

Oh geez, 16 was a long time ago!

I was in swing choir, honor choir, and regular choir, band, speech, drama, International Thespians (acting group for those with 100+ hours of drama and/or speech), helped with the family cattle operation, helped my dad with repairing vehicles, started working as a nurses' aide, was in 4-H...

At my job I dealt with death and the dying process (my senior thesis was Kubler-Ross's stages of death and dying and my parents were notified that I might be suicidal).  At school I hung out with the outcasts (best friend group EVER).  I learned a lot about who I am and what I believe. 

Sadly, I don't think Sarah has made it as far as I had at 16.  

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3
anjulibai

I was doing too much as 16, and it make me burned out later. 😛

I had a job after school for a few hours, working for an archaeologist doing everything from filing to data entry to cataloging. I also was in the drama club, the marching/concert band, French club, and the literary magazine. And that was on top of a full load of classes. 

I knew a few kids that did even more than that, which always blew my mind and made me feel like I was NOT doing enough. Most kids, though, at least had jobs in addition to their school work, if they weren't on a team or doing other extracurriculars. 

The Maxwells really have no idea what teenagers do. 

• Upvote 11
Jana814
41 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

The Maxwells really have no idea what teenagers do. 

They definitely don’t. They kept their kids so sheltered that they probably didn’t know what typical teenage behavior is. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
allyisyourpally5

Sorry Sarah, you’re “real life experience” isn’t unique.

By 16, I had already had a job as a Paper Girl (not sure if current job title would be correct). That was also pretty real life experience -I didn’t just get up early because I had to meet my family for Bible Time - I set out on my bike 3 or 4 times a week to collect the papers from the store and deliver them, get back home to shower and then set off to school. I also did babysitting, for children outside the family - so again, time deadlines to meet.

At 15 I started my weekend job in a store where I developed photos. So I was dealing with machinery, photo developing software, chemicals....as well as dealing with customers (the public! Not just home schooled evangelical Christians!) I stopped the paper job at this point but still went to school full time and did plenty of overtime in the holidays to earn my own money and start savings. I also juggled volunteer work twice a week and went to church. And played video games and saw my friends.

Sarah, what you did was great but not unique, nor are your parents the only ones out their who encourage work. I had plenty of real life experience myself thank you very much. Good for you. But it’s not special honey,

• Upvote 15
SPHASH

Remember this gem by Teri regarding teenagers?

https://articles.titus2.com/are-you-preparing-your-sons

So many of the youth of today are hopeless. They don’t know Jesus Christ, and they have no purpose. Their lives are sadly out of control. Many are on anti-depressants. They have nothing worth living for, and they become overwhelmed with the emptiness of their lives.

Edited by SPHASH
  • Upvote 16
  • Eyeroll 3
johnhugh

Poor Sarah wrote:

We’ll continue with Part 2 in this series.

Don’t stretch yourself!

Is blogging just scheduled for 30 minutes? Surely both parts could have been one post or are they running out of ideas? Obviously the ceiling fans were scheduled to be cleaned.

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 4
Bethy
On 3/16/2021 at 10:19 AM, usmcmom said:

I think, in photos of Anna and Christopher’s courtship days, her mother and sister are both dressed in jumpers too. Maybe I am remembering things all wrong. I wonder if Anna’s mother has made a shift in her wardrobe and if that might lead Anna to do the same. 

I hope that if Anna WANTS to change her look (and more power to her if she really likes the prairie frumpers - you do you!) she doesn't feel like she's locked into always dressing the same way in those same gathered-waist jumpers because that's what Christopher married. (Sort of like that nasty "pastor" whose "sermon" about trophy wives made the rounds recently, and he said wives need to maintain the exact same size/shape they were when they got married.)

• Upvote 11
anachronistic

I was utterly miserable at 16. I thought I was supposed to be carefree, dating, going to parties, succeeding at school, and instead I was friendless, lonely, depressed and flunking.

Twenty-one years later, the government is supporting me instead of my parents, and I am actually doing *less* than what I was doing at 16 because I don’t have school. But I am so, so, so much healthier (mentally) and happier, and I’ve come to so many realizations that 16 year old me would be astonished by. Like, oh, btw, that *was* abuse. And I should have been properly supported with your (then-undiagnosed but in retrospect SO obvious) undiagnosed autism and learning disabilities. And even though nobody was out at my school that I knew of, I’m gay. Through a heck of a lot of hard work and therapy I’ve learned that I’m not a bad person, struggle as I may to accept it. My 16 year old self wouldn’t be able to recognize who I am now, she was too busy trying to mold herself into the typical success story she saw everywhere around her.

Whats astonishing to me about Sarah in that in roughly the same period of time, she has not grown mentally *at all*. She has not had any great revelations about herself, discovered nothing on her own. She has worked hard but only for other people. She has not, as most people have, considered her childhood and what was good and bad about it, because in her mind it was only good. She hasn’t had her worldview or opinions about anything changed or challenged. She hasn’t made any hard choices. Brains are meant to grow, expand, keep learning all your life, it’s what keeps you healthy. She has never done that. She honestly may never do that. At least her brothers had to make choices and faced new situations in marriage and parenting. Sarah, and her sisters now, too, is just....sitting. She’s like a bird in a cage, and even if someone opened the cage door now she would have no idea how to exit and exist on her own.

Damn you, Steve. You were supposed to raise children, not potted plants.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 25
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic