IGNORED

Maxwell 46: Relegating the Kids' Table to the Vestibule

Coconut Flan

I blend a lot of my soups, in fact, most of the vegan ones I make for myself. I swear by my Vitamix but, as Browngrl said so well above, sometimes just blended is enough and I bought an immersion blender during 2019 Prime days for that (and love it). I hide handfuls of power greens in my soups on top of lots of other veggies and blending them makes them not as noticeable. 

0 kids...you just bring that eggplant soup on over. I took my vaccinated husband to the airport this morning for a flight back East for overdue family business, returned home and immediately started deep cleaning and polishing my kitchen cabinet doors (how appropriate, on the Maxwell blog!). They are half done and the hardware is not yet put back on, it’s 4:15pm and I’m hungry (starving, actually) and really don’t feel like cooking for one tonight. 

• Upvote 8

10 hours ago, kpmom said:

I went to their blog after I read your post, but if I had gone before, I agree, I would have thought something bad had happened too.

And what is with the fetish that fundies have about long hair on women?  I'm referring to the commenter who said her husband was so worried she'd have to cut her long hair due to lice he spent hours combing through her hair.  Geez dude, hair grows back.

And considering the Maxwells have a DIL who lost her hair due to chemo, that might not have been the most sensitive comment to include.

All of the above. Roses on a post about lice? Weird, and awkward considering that there's been a family member battling cancer within the last year.

My husband loves my long hair so much that as far back as when we were dating I told him he was my lice plan, because if it were entirely my responsibility to mitigate a lice infestation, my first move would be chopping off a significant portion of it. If he liked my hair long, I figured he could put some feet on that claim and help me with the comb-out! One tiny benefit of covid is that with all the six-feet-apart regulations, nobody gets close enough to share lice these days.

As for the timing of the comments about long hair and lice in relation to Anna Marie's cancer battle, I think we can all rest assured that this post was written long before Anna Marie started chemo - probably before she even knew she had cancer. This is the backlog of posts that got preempted by more important things like cancer and five-month-old wedding photos.

• Upvote 6

37 minutes ago, Bethy said:

As for the timing of the comments about long hair and lice in relation to Anna Marie's cancer battle, I think we can all rest assured that this post was written long before Anna Marie started chemo - probably before she even knew she had cancer. This is the backlog of posts that got preempted by more important things like cancer and five-month-old wedding photos.

That's what makes it even funnier. This happened a year ago, and Anna Marie posted about it year ago, but for the Maxwells, Anna Marie's post about her kids' lice is such a a fond memory, they wanted to revisit . . . . with a picture of flowers. 

I can see Sarah, Terri & Steve have a discussion after bible time of what was the fondest blogging memory, and for the Maxwells, it was head lice. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 6

I appreciate y’all’s’ recapping thus so much. I don’t want to waste time on tits2 blog and with your comments I don’t have to. AND your comments make me laugh - even if it’s just a snicker-snort / rolleyes  kind of laugh. 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 6

We keep getting more blog posts from Teri.  Teri would be a good writer if she knew what to write about. She seems to have trouble finding topics. 

Part of keeping a blog is having regular posts. Monday is usually the most important day for the Titus2 blog, as the Maxwells almost always have a Monday post. They're more likely to skip Wednesday or Friday. 

I hope Sarah is okay. Teri seems to be writing more blog posts. It's possible she just wants to be more involved, but it's also possible that Sarah's recovery from her head injuries means she needs more time to heal and Teri is covering for her. 

• Upvote 11

9 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I have often thought I could live like the Maxwells, in terms of the "boring" and routine/repetitive nature of their days, because habit and routine are the keys to life satisfaction, for me personally.

I am Maxwellian too. I love hiking, but worse: I LOVE puffer vests....?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12
  • Love 2

I am a generally boring person, but I'm no good at schedules or rigid routines, and I almost make an idol out of variety. (For example, I drink tea most mornings, but I have a different kind of black tea every day until I start over again. I seem to own a ridiculous number of kinds of tea.) I see the value in routine and repetition, but I'm not good at it.

I'm fond of cross country skiing (though I've only gone a few times since I had kids), but I'm not much of a hiker. I'd rather stay up late than wake up early. I love, love, love reading fiction! I've never dusted a ceiling fan (never owned one!), or polished a cabinet. I don't own any warm vests.

I sometimes think I'm the Anti-Maxwell™️!

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
punctuation
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 3
  • Love 6

Well, I'm actually not good with schedules but I like routines and a quite, boring life. And I like a clean house - I'm just not good in cleaning... Also I'm an introvert and don't need tones of social contacts. So I can relate to some aspects of their lifestyle, but I choose to live like that. They forced all their children to live this lifestyle. I just can't believe that all of them like hiking, all of them want to get up early, all of them like to eat bland soup without seasoning...

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

22 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

We recently replaced our Dyson cordless with another Dyson cordless -a V7 Animal.  I wanted a cordless vacuum because I didn't want to trip over cords and we don't have enough outlets and some of them are blocked by furniture.  We needed one that handled animal hair as we have Lab mix who sheds like crazy.  It's also easy to take out to the cars so we can use it there.  

All this talk about vacuum cleaners make me glad that my apartment has no carpeting(tile in the bathroom and laundry room, fake wood everywhere else).  Of course, not when Shadow decides to play with one of her bottlecaps at 3 am...

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

I resemble the Maxwells in more ways than I’d usually care to admit, but only on the housekeeping part, not the religion and judgmental parts at all. I love a tidy house, and it’s getting worse as I get older. I have a reminder list on my iPhone and once a month “clean baseboards and ceiling fans” pops up. As I mentioned yesterday, I’m actually doing a once very few years cleaning of my kitchen cabinet doors. We’re expecting snow possibly measured in feet this weekend so I may get the insides cleaned too (these get done more often). 

But here’s the thing:  I have yet to see a photo of the Maxwell’s house where it appears they spend as much time as they lead us to believe cleaning and straightening and polishing. It just looks very different than I’d expect it to look with five adults and no kids living there. Their meals are positively uninspired. And I have never had to spend more than 45 minutes or so to thoroughly clean the inside and the outside of my refrigerator.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, HoneyBunny said:

I resemble the Maxwells in more ways than I’d usually care to admit, but only on the housekeeping part, not the religion and judgmental parts at all. I love a tidy house, and it’s getting worse as I get older. I have a reminder list on my iPhone and once a month “clean baseboards and ceiling fans” pops up. As I mentioned yesterday, I’m actually doing a once very few years cleaning of my kitchen cabinet doors. We’re expecting snow possibly measured in feet this weekend so I may get the insides cleaned too (these get done more often). 

But here’s the thing:  I have yet to see a photo of the Maxwell’s house where it appears they spend as much time as they lead us to believe cleaning and straightening and polishing. It just looks very different than I’d expect it to look with five adults and no kids living there. Their meals are positively uninspired. And I have never had to spend more than 45 minutes or so to thoroughly clean the inside and the outside of my refrigerator.  

I have always been a "clean freak". Much to the disdain of the ex husband. I've actually gotten less so as I've aged though. I used to do all that annual/semi-annual/monthly stuff right on track and it bugged me if I couldn't get it done when planned. Now, I don't even think about it half the time. Every six months or so I get into a mood and do some of the bigger cleaning stuff - the baseboards, the cracks where carpet meets baseboard, ceiling fans, inside cupboards, etc. But, it's more "whenever I think of it" rather than having to do it. 

But, in general, I have a weekly cleaning schedule (in my head, and not in 15 minute increments, and not in any specific order) - just the cleaning I've always done & want done weekly. Probably once a month or so I do a deeper clean of one room in rotation, like one month, I move all the furniture & vacuum & clean behind everything, etc. in my bedroom but the next month it's a different room so several months pass before I get back to that first room.

I am, however, the only person living here so I am not picking up after others or doing things for others. So, generally, it's pretty clean & neat around here. Every day dishes are done and counters in the kitchen wiped down, things like that. I rarely have things "out of place" because I just put stuff back when I am done. I'm actually overly anal about that. I hate stuff lying around doing nothing when it belongs elsewhere. 

Plus, working from home offers a lot of opportunity to do stuff just randomly on my lunch hour. I am required to be logged off for that hour and particularly in winter I have nothing really to do for that hour. So, I'll clean out a closet or wash out garbage cans, or whatever. Today, because it's in the 60's, I have windows open & fans blowing all over and I sprayed much of my furniture with Scotch Guard. I bought new furniture in late summer, but it was December before it all came in, so a lot didn't get treated. I just did it at lunch and am sitting in my bedroom to avoid the fumes for my enforced lunch. No schedule, no plan, just knowing that it needed to be done and today presented the chance. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 11

I love making lists. Writing lists, reading list, tv and movie lists, weekly lists, monthly and yearly lists. But I keep them flexible before my medical problems sometimes work and other things kept me from completing them. Which is fine I just move the daily and weekly lists to the next day/week and usually catch up. With my medical problems its still flexible since I can't on bad days and sometimes they last a week or longer. Sick and healthy it was great way to see what I needed to do and things I hoped to get done and see how much of it I can get done. I've talked with my doctors and its a good idea since its so easy to not do anything when you don't have a schedule and to focus what I can do and not what I can't do. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

19 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

We keep getting more blog posts from Teri.  Teri would be a good writer if she knew what to write about. She seems to have trouble finding topics. 

What's weird is that they've requested in the past ideas for topics, and been given many good ideas. 

Ones you'd think they wouldn't have a hard time talking about. 

But they don't post about that stuff! 

It's so bizarre. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

22 hours ago, MomJeans said:

That's what makes it even funnier. This happened a year ago, and Anna Marie posted about it year ago, but for the Maxwells, Anna Marie's post about her kids' lice is such a a fond memory, they wanted to revisit . . . . with a picture of flowers. 

I can see Sarah, Terri & Steve have a discussion after bible time of what was the fondest blogging memory, and for the Maxwells, it was head lice. 

I thought the reference to the lice post was funny because of all the people who wrote and talked about their own headline experiences.  I'm inexperienced on this subject because in 63 years (39 of them spent teaching in public schools) I've never encountered a case of head lice (maybe just lucky?)  I have two sisters and a brother. None of us came home from school with head lice and I've never known anyone who had to deal with them.

It amused me that fundies who don't even send their kids to school have problems with head lice.  Although it doesn't sound like there's anything funny about bugs living in your hair.  (yuck)

• Upvote 3
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

What's weird is that they've requested in the past ideas for topics, and been given many good ideas. 

Ones you'd think they wouldn't have a hard time talking about. 

But they don't post about that stuff! 

It's so bizarre. 

I think the dining room table post was topic someone had brought up. I liked that post. Do you remember any specific posts people wanted to hear about?

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

I thought the reference to the lice post was funny because of all the people who wrote and talked about their own headline experiences.  I'm inexperienced on this subject because in 63 years (39 of them spent teaching in public schools) I've never encountered a case of head lice (maybe just lucky?)  I have two sisters and a brother. None of us came home from school with head lice and I've never known anyone who had to deal with them.

It amused me that fundies who don't even send their kids to school have problems with head lice.  Although it doesn't sound like there's anything funny about bugs living in your hair.  (yuck)

Yeah it sounds like you're really lucky. I'm not sure where you live, but head lice are quite common here. I never had head lice, but we had several cases growing up and they checked my head for head lice several times in school. All the teachers knew about it. I thought Anna Marie seemed out of touch that she had never heard of them, but maybe it only happens in several regions. (I was going to say the east coast and then I remembered the Maxwells live in Kansas.)

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 2

On 3/8/2021 at 6:27 AM, Austrian Atheist said:

*(I used an online converter for the measurements. I hope these results are correct. I'm totally overwhelmed with U.S. american measurements... sorry.)

I'm American myself but I am always looking for recipes that give me amounts by weight not by measure volume. It's just so much easier to weigh things out on a digital scale especially when baking. And everybody's "1 cup of flour" weighs differently.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

New post up: Poor Anna Maria. She needs hernia surgery and is not supposed to pick anything up afterwards.

She has the surgery in Nevada because it's a special "mesh-free" method. I only know two men who had hernia surgery and I don't know very much about it in general - is this a legit method?

At least it sounds like she gets a lot of help from both sides of the family. I can't even imagine going through cancer, needing another surgery and having six small kids and an eighth person household.

(Btw: I know a woman who has diastasis recti/abdominal separation after 8 pregnancies. Could hernia be pregnancy related as well? I have never heard of any women with hernia before.)

Edited by Austrian Atheist
  • Upvote 5
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, Austrian Atheist said:

(Btw: I know a woman who has diastasis recti/abdominal separation after 8 pregnancies. Could hernia be pregnancy related as well? I have never heard of any women with hernia before.)

This was actually what I thought!.  With back to back pregnancies I assumed she had weakening in her abdomen and a split.  Of course wearing frumpers all the time no one can see anything.  I *HOPE* that this is a sign that there will not be any future pregnancies- repair the abdomen for good and continue cancer treatment protocols

• Upvote 8

Have we covered professional writer Sarah Maxwell's latest quote- " please be in prayer for her" 

Wtf! Please pray for her , please keep her in your prayers are both sentences that make grammatical sense. She strikes me as writing like a pretentious 13 year old(no shade I was a pretentious 13 year old) who thinks the more uncommon/awquard the sentence the brighter they are 

Edited by byzant
A
  • Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 11

I feel terrible for Anna Marie, but am glad they are listing to doctors about cancer treatment.  I'll be honest, I cringe every time I hear about holistic cancer treatment, but it sounds like she's still taking normal cancer medications. 

I did not know she had HER2+ breast cancer (I should have, she's young and it was found while pregnant.)  I know about the side effects of Nerlynx, but I'm glad she's going to still take it.  

And yes, I know a few women who have had hernias (not sure why I know so many!), and pregnancy can be a cause. Also, hernias have been commonly not diagnosed in women because doctors may ignore their complaints of pain.  One woman I worked with had severe pain for years, was told she just needed to lose weight, and while having her gall bladder out the surgeon did an emergency hernia repair. He told her it was the worst one he had ever seen, and couldn't believe she was suffering for so long without help.

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 5

I had an incisional hernia a few years back.  I'd had a three abdominal surgeries previously and a hernia developed around the old incision area.  Up until then I also thought hernias were a problem only for men.

It's a different type of hernia than Anna's, but the treatment is the same.  Yes, no-mesh hernia surgery is a thing.  Mesh can apparently break off and "travel" in the abdomen causing all kinds of issues, so I see her concern.

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 5

11 hours ago, kpmom said:

I had an incisional hernia a few years back.  I'd had a three abdominal surgeries previously and a hernia developed around the old incision area.  Up until then I also thought hernias were a problem only for men.

It's a different type of hernia than Anna's, but the treatment is the same.  Yes, no-mesh hernia surgery is a thing.  Mesh can apparently break off and "travel" in the abdomen causing all kinds of issues, so I see her concern.

Huh.  My husband had two open abdominal surgeries in six weeks (emergency in Nov 2019 for a complete bowel blockage, where they found the cause was a multi-focal form of cancerous tumors; the second surgery in Jan 2020 was to remove the ones found after diagnosis), and surprise! developed an incisional hernia which he had repaired in September.  The really odd thing...the major academic medical center less than an hour away from Leavenworth offers mesh-free repair.   I wonder why she has to go all the way to Nevada for this.   Seriously, there are many fine hospitals in greater Kansas City, and one of them is an NCI designated cancer center.  They do lots of amazing 'out of the box' things there.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Pregnancy is counterindicated on Nerlynx due to the risk of embryo death or birth defects; effective birth control is an absolute requirement for any fertile woman taking it. I guess that answers the question of whether AM&C are currently preventing.

Maybe she's going to Nevada because there was an opening right away, and the nearer hospital had no room?

My prayers are with Anna during her surgery. It can't be easy to have had to spend so much time away from her young children over the past year.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 3

53 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Pregnancy is counterindicated on Nerlynx due to the risk of embryo death or birth defects; effective birth control is an absolute requirement for any fertile woman taking it. I guess that answers the question of whether AM&C are currently preventing.

Maybe she's going to Nevada because there was an opening right away, and the nearer hospital had no room?

My prayers are with Anna during her surgery. It can't be easy to have had to spend so much time away from her young children over the past year.

A long time ago Steve said the only "acceptable" form of birth control is complete abstinence. This is not natural family planning, which would require abstinence for only a few days a month, but complete abstinence. So technically, the "right" thing would be for them to completely abstain. 

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic