IGNORED

Maxwell 46: Relegating the Kids' Table to the Vestibule

Coconut Flan

I love soup and almost always have a giant pot of soup on the go, but Teri's soup does not look good. 

I would not be pleased if someone gave me that soup because it would mean a lot of work to "fix" it.  However I will give Teri this: this soup makes me feel superior to Teri because (although I am a godless heathen feminist who is definitely NOT a homemaker) I can make much better food than she can. Is this her secret plan? Have the Maxwell's been playing some kind of 3D chess of emotions? It can't be.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

I'm not the best cook (nor the best food photographer), but I did make this eggplant soup topped with feta crumbles two days ago.  What do you all think, does it look more appetizing than Terry's????

20210305_200302.png

• Upvote 25
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 6

Target has  a Vita mix on sale for $150 off and this thread and a recipe for butternut squash soup I have had helped me decide to get if it it's still on sale tomorrow

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Target has  a Vita mix on sale for $150 off and this thread and a recipe for butternut squash soup I have had helped me decide to get if it it's still on sale tomorrow

Recently I got the vita mix  immersion blender. I just like the ease of use of an immersion vs a traditional blender. It is fantastic-

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Recently I got the vita mix  immersion blender.

I have both and heartily concur with both of you. These kitchen tools are great. I use the blender when I want a silky smooth texture and the immersion blender when smooth is smooth enough. I'm glad I bought both.

• Upvote 5

I just went to the Maxwell blog and thought someone had died from the "Beauty for Ashes" header and photo of a red rose.

And then I read the post and I can't stop giggling.  Spoiler: it's just about headlice ??? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 3

On 3/6/2021 at 4:39 PM, Austrian Atheist said:

I love soup but what's the purpose of the post? If you have a freezer full of meals why wouldn't you share one of those? Why would you feel the need to cook a different meal just to give away?

I'll take it back. I looked at the comments. One reader "struggles with this" and thanked her for the suggestion. Another fan-lady finds the idea even "spectacular".

I would have never thought the idea of keeping some additional meals in the freezer for emergencies would be so mind blowing...?

Regarding soups:

I have started to make my own soup seasoning recently, because I don't like the additives in the store bought ones. You need a bit of time for preparation but you can make a big amount for the next half year in advance and use it for soups, sauces, stews, risottos whatever...

I only have the recipe in German but I'll try to explain: you need typical soup veggies like carrots, parsnipes, celery roots, leeks, fennel (or whatever root vegetables you prefer). You can add onions and garlic (I'm careful with that because I can only tolerate it in small amounts.).  And you need spices and herbs you usually like in your soup (f.e. parsley, thyme, majoram...). You really can be flexible and adapt everything to your own taste.

You wash, peel and dice it into bigger pieces. Measure everything together with kitchen scales.

For 100g (~ 3.5oz?) of veggies-herbs-mix add 12g (~ 0.4oz?) of salt.* Mix everything and let it rest for 15 minutes.

Afterwards you produce a kind of thick paste with the help of a food processor and/or blender. It should look like that:

https://img.chefkoch-cdn.de/rezepte/1234331228376365/bilder/496929/crop-600x400/1-a-suppengewuerz.jpg

Fill it in clean jars. (Maybe you can close them extra good with the help of a vaccum device if you have the possibility.) The salt preserves the seasoning about 6 months.

To use it brown 1-2 tablespoons in oil (but carefully, you don't want to burn it), then add water/broth and the other ingredients. Cook your soup as usual.

*(I used an online converter for the measurements. I hope these results are correct. I'm totally overwhelmed with U.S. american measurements... sorry.)

Edited by Austrian Atheist
typos
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 11
  • Love 1

Wow, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for content. Beauty for Ashes....about lice...which was previously posted about more than a year ago. 

What sad little lives. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, ClareDeLune said:

I just went to the Maxwell blog and thought someone had died from the "Beauty for Ashes" header and photo of a red rose.

And then I read the post and I can't stop giggling.  Spoiler: it's just about headlice ??? 

I went to their blog after I read your post, but if I had gone before, I agree, I would have thought something bad had happened too.

And what is with the fetish that fundies have about long hair on women?  I'm referring to the commenter who said her husband was so worried she'd have to cut her long hair due to lice he spent hours combing through her hair.  Geez dude, hair grows back.

And considering the Maxwells have a DIL who lost her hair due to chemo, that might not have been the most sensitive comment to include.

• Upvote 18
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

What sad little lives. 

What is it about the Maxwell's that make me introspective? I think it is because a lot of the stuff they do (minus the Jesus bits and the control thing) is stuff I do eg I like hiking, I like walking, I cook a lot, I make lists (a lot of lists), I clean a lot, I'm about Teri's age, my hair is salt and pepper and a straight blunt cut like Teri, I wear sandals and socks etc It makes me wonder. This morning my husband and I had a long conversation about  vacuums and which one we should buy. It was a conversation I found both interesting and satisfying. Have I gone off the deep end? Am I secretly a Maxwell living a small sad life? I'm going to put on a tremendous amount of black eyeliner and drink a Pepsi now to distinguish myself from Teri. I'm on a slippery slope and I count on you lot to pull me back if I go too Maxwellian.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 12
  • Love 11

15 minutes ago, browngrl said:

What is it about the Maxwell's that make me introspective? I think it is because a lot of the stuff they do (minus the Jesus bits and the control thing) is stuff I do eg I like hiking, I like walking, I cook a lot, I make lists (a lot of lists), I clean a lot, I'm about Teri's age, my hair is salt and pepper and a straight blunt cut like Teri, I wear sandals and socks etc It makes me wonder. This morning my husband and I had a long conversation about  vacuums and which one we should buy. It was a conversation I found both interesting and satisfying. Have I gone off the deep end? Am I secretly a Maxwell living a small sad life? I'm going to put on a tremendous amount of black eyeliner and drink a Pepsi now to distinguish myself from Teri. I'm on a slippery slope and I count on you lot to pull me back if I go too Maxwellian.

The difference is you have chosen your life and you make choices every day. You do not do all these things as though your very life, now or later, depends upon it. You don't tout your choices & preferences in life as the only way to do things. You no don't have a blog where you post stupid, inane, worthless shit in a desperate attempt to feel validated. 

The ex and I had a major fight about vacuum cleaners! He wanted the damn monster Kirby and I just wanted a Thunder something or other. He won and we got the damn Kirby and I hated it for a decade. When it died, as I knew it would, I was giddy about getting one I wanted! I also dyed my hair this weekend for the first time in 8 months, going back & forth about letting the grey grow out. There just isn't enough to do it yet - not where I'm comfortable with it anyway. I am actually looking forward to it being a little more prevalent so I can just let it do its thing!

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, Austrian Atheist said:

I'll take it back. I looked at the comments. One reader "struggles with this" and thanked her for the suggestion. Another fan-lady finds the idea even "spectacular".

I would have never thought the idea of keeping some additional meals in the freezer for emergencies would be so mind blowing...?

Those comments are so funny! Neither the Maxwells nor their readers elaborate much, and they are then so puzzled by each other. ?image.png.be76bfb4339c7172d5514321e5921201.png

Edited by ClareDeLune
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 14

When I read this I immediately was like whaaaat that was Jill Rodrigues’ retreat theme, and there was that horrible video where she kept saying “beauty for ashes” and it was supposed to be inspiring. Anyone else? 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

We recently replaced our Dyson cordless with another Dyson cordless -a V7 Animal.  I wanted a cordless vacuum because I didn't want to trip over cords and we don't have enough outlets and some of them are blocked by furniture.  We needed one that handled animal hair as we have Lab mix who sheds like crazy.  It's also easy to take out to the cars so we can use it there.  

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

15 hours ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

I'm not the best cook (nor the best food photographer), but I did make this eggplant soup topped with feta crumbles two days ago.  What do you all think, does it look more appetizing than Terry's????

20210305_200302.png

You know you don’t have to ask. It looks craveable!!!!

2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Wow, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for content. Beauty for Ashes....about lice...which was previously posted about more than a year ago. 

What sad little lives. 

Creepy Jill Rodrigues used the Beauty For Ashes theme at a ladies gathering that featured her DISABLED SISTER. So the Maxwell’s not only lack originality, they ape Jill. Bad. Very bad. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

38 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

So the Maxwell’s not only lack originality, they ape Jill. Bad. Very bad. 

If there were ever a marriage between a Rod and a Maxwell can you imagine the holiday dinner planning?  The age old 1.5 tablespoons of mashed potatoes per person vs the all holiday foods must be yellow and burnt debate.  

Only compared to the Rods is the Maxwell food more palatable.  

As hateful as that family is, at least the Bontragers know how to put on a spread.  I bet John still can't believe his luck every time he sits down to eat.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, ClareDeLune said:

Those comments are so funny! Neither the Maxwells nor their readers elaborate much, and they are then so puzzled by each other. 

Did you forget that they are great conversationalists?

From Titus2:

"Making Great Conversationalists has the potential to change your child’s life. Within this book’s pages, Steve and Teri unlock the keys to dynamic conversation. The ability to effectively converse prepares your child for courtship, influences his job potential, and could even help him lead someone to the Lord.

“This book should be required reading material for every parent of a school-aged child in America!” Henry

Don’t think that one-word replies, short answers, and lack of interest in others is normal for a child’s conversation. It’s not, and you can do something to change it."

?

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 12

57 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Creepy Jill Rodrigues used the Beauty For Ashes theme at a ladies gathering that featured her DISABLED SISTER. So the Maxwell’s not only lack originality, they ape Jill. Bad. Very bad. 

I doubt the Maxwells are copying JillRod. "Beauty for ashes" is used in lots of Christian things, quoting Isaiah 61:3.

Isaiah 61:3
New International Version
3     and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor.

There's a book by Joyce Meyers with "beauty for ashes" in the title, an song by Crystal Lewis, and probably a bunch of other things I'm missing. The Maxwells are probably referring to the Bible verse, not to the Rods.

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
grammar
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

4 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

I was SO confused reading this blog post and seriously wondered if there was some kind of connection I didn’t pick up on as a non-native speaker.

• Upvote 6

The latest lice post is a bit....disturbing.  The beautiful side of a lice infestation is having an excuse to spend quality time with your children and spouse?!?  Why not schedule more quality time into the daily schedule if time together proves so precious? I would hope that after the commenters experienced the delights of spending quality time with loved ones, they continued to spend time together sans lice combing. That didn't seem to be the point of the post, though. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1

If my children's fondest memories of me are of me combing lice nits out of their hair, I give them permission to not include me in their future Christmas plans. 

ETA:  I really should thank the Maxwells. I've had a terrible Monday so far, and seeing a post geared towards mourning a loved one, and realizing it's only headlice, was a quite a pick me up.

Edited by MomJeans
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 19

1 hour ago, MomJeans said:

ETA:  I really should thank the Maxwells. I've had a terrible Monday so far, and seeing a post geared towards mourning a loved one, and realizing it's only headlice, was a quite a pick me up.

I'm very sorry about your terrible Monday.  But I'm wondering if this is the first time anyone on FJ said a Maxwell post was a pick me up? ?

• Haha 19

4 hours ago, browngrl said:

In terms of the tedious work ethic and level of control, my dad is very Steve Maxwellian. As an example, he is nearing 90 and rakes and bags pine needles at his mountain vacation home. He dumps the needles and saves the bags, as not to waste good bags. I think he’s been using the same bags for decades. My equally aged mom is also involved in this process. Conversely, he also likes cookies and alcohol, and supports advanced education for all males and females.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 4

I have often thought I could live like the Maxwells, in terms of the "boring" and routine/repetitive nature of their days, because habit and routine are the keys to life satisfaction, for me personally.

Of course as soon as I think about the oppressive nature of rules being imposed rather than freely chosen, I nope right out of there and that's well before either patriarchy or any consideration of religion even enters the picture (either of which would be enough to send me running in the other direction).

tldr:  it's their beliefs that are objectionable to me, not their blandness or need for routine.  YMMV.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I doubt the Maxwells are copying JillRod. "Beauty for ashes" is used in lots of Christian things, quoting Isaiah 61:3.

There's a book by Joyce Meyers with "beauty for ashes" in the title, an song by Crystal Lewis, and probably a bunch of other things I'm missing. The Maxwells are probably referring to the Bible verse, not to the Rods.

I feel better now ... I guess... :D 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic