Jump to content
IGNORED

Maxwell 46: Relegating the Kids' Table to the Vestibule


Coconut Flan

Recommended Posts

PennySycamore

Happy National Reading Day to all US FJites!  It's also Dr Suess's birthday and I read today that several of his books  were being withdrawn from further publication because of stereotypes.  One of the books is If I Ran the Zoo which was one of our favorites when we were growing up.  It's got such wonderful, fantastic made-up animals in it.  It's also got a picture of two Africans drawn in a stereotypical manner which is not cool.  

Also I read the other day that they are going to make of film of Are You There God?  It's Me, Margaret.  

  • Upvote 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • PennySycamore

    18

  • Bluebirdbluebell

    12

  • Black Aliss

    12

  • Bethy

    9

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When certain members of my family come to visit I have be known to have prayer time after they leave. "Thank god that's over!"  

I have had many concussions in my life and one actually caused me to lose what little hearing I had in my right ear (and it was my "good" ear.) I haven't worked since.  People look at me and thin

This is my first time having a quote make it into a post count title and I am unabashedly elated! 

Posted Images

Joe Pukepail
On 2/15/2021 at 4:06 AM, allyisyourpally5 said:

Im

having vague recollections of them having Bible Time in public too - I’ve honestly got pictures in my head of them having it right in a hotel lobby and a restaurant (because they take pictures of that and nothing interesting). It must have been from when they were in the road, I know they usually slept in Uriah but I feel like on the odd occasion they had different accommodation. 
Im just picturing how I would react walking into a hotel lobby and being told to take a seat - and finding no seats, because the Maxwell family is using all of them for Bible time. Or better yet one spare in the middle!

This would be my actual reaction to encountering "Bible time" in public.

Spoiler

 

 

 

Spoiler

1488460176968.gif

 

Edited by Joe Pukepail
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
FloraKitty35

I am going to nitpick:  

1.  "After our arctic blast, our temperatures skyrocketed 60 degrees warmer"  The sentence has no flow, it would flow more smoothly  to say:  "After the Arctic blast, our temperatures were in the 60's."  

2.  "Then, Christopher and crew took down my outdoor Christmas lights to bless me."  Again same critique:  "I was blessed to have Christopher and his family come over and take down my outdoor Christmas lights." 

Now I am going say something complimentary:  It's nice to Joshua wearing googles, gloves, and appropriate footwear.  

(I miss NR Anna's posts (differences in beliefs aside). I enjoy her writing style much more than I do Sarah's.

  • Upvote 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Aliss
1 hour ago, FloraKitty35 said:

(I miss NR Anna's posts (differences in beliefs aside). I enjoy her writing style much more than I do Sarah's.

I just thought of something. Was either Steve or Teri a physical sciences major (Chem, Physics)? Because they would have had it drilled into them in writing lab reports that the passive voice must be used. That's a hard habit to break and some people never do. The passive voice does have its purpose when it's necessary to separate the writer/reporter from the content, but in blog posts and most other writing you (the writer) want to establish a connection with the reader, and you do that by using the active voice.

  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
MamaJunebug
1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

I just thought of something. Was either Steve or Teri a physical sciences major (Chem, Physics)? Because they would have had it drilled into them in writing lab reports that the passive voice must be used. That's a hard habit to break and some people never do. The passive voice does have its purpose when it's necessary to separate the writer/reporter from the content, but in blog posts and most other writing you (the writer) want to establish a connection with the reader, and you do that by using the active voice.

Good point. IIRC they met in a chemistry class, and I've always figured it was rather advanced, as Steve was an engineering major and it was college, after all.  So could be that Teri had a sciences goal, but also IIRC she married and didn't get her degree ... IIRC.

  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

I am going to nitpick:  

1.  "After our arctic blast, our temperatures skyrocketed 60 degrees warmer"  The sentence has no flow, it would flow more smoothly  to say:  "After the Arctic blast, our temperatures were in the 60's."  

2.  "Then, Christopher and crew took down my outdoor Christmas lights to bless me."  Again same critique:  "I was blessed to have Christopher and his family come over and take down my outdoor Christmas lights." 

Now I am going say something complimentary:  It's nice to Joshua wearing googles, gloves, and appropriate footwear.  

(I miss NR Anna's posts (differences in beliefs aside). I enjoy her writing style much more than I do Sarah's.

It is an awkward construction, but as someone who lives not too far from LVKS, I can testify that the temperatures did indeed 'skyrocket.'  The swing was 80 degrees in a week (-10/70).  I've lived in the midwest all my life, and that is really unusual.  In Topeka, it was a 90 degree swing.

  • Upvote 4
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Austrian Atheist
On 3/2/2021 at 12:35 AM, treemom said:

The person who loves hiking is Terri.  I’ve always been surprised she didn’t have to give it up like Pepsi.  For some reason, I remembered distinctly the posts about hiking St. Helen’s right before Christopher’s wedding to Anna.  It was mentioned then Terri was the one who loved hiking and I always wondered if she would lose it because it was an idol.

Outdoor exercise is good against depression. Maybe they think of it more as a "therapy" than a hobby,

  • Upvote 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
anachronistic

@freejugar, nope. Many autistic kids are homeschooled because the public school system failed then, and their parents do a better job. Parents (usually) know their kids really well, respect their limits, and do curriculum based on the kids interests, which is very rare in public or private schools. Autistic kids often do better in very quiet, calm environments, where they are most comfortable, and that’s at home. They also aren’t bothered there by having to learn the stupid ‘social skills’ curriculum like making eye contact or smiling ‘appropriately’. Best of all, they are protected from the abuses of Applied Behavior Analysis, the predominant way of teaching autistic kids in the US, which is just like dog training, except - nope, it really is just like dog training. Homeschooling isn’t for everyone of course but for disabled kids it’s usually done out of desperation and necessity, not religious beliefs.

But omfg, an autistic kid whose brain happens to latch on to *the Moodys* as a special interest? Excuse me while I vomit. Poor, poor kid.

  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@anachronistic, a friend’s autistic teen is thriving on distance learning right now. I’ve heard that many people on the spectrum become attached to a specific interest and see many other issues through its lens. If this child is thriving while seeing the world through a Moody lens, then great—but it makes me wonder about all the great books she’s shielded from because they’re not “Christian” enough.

  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Who would have thought we’d be reading a sentence like this on the Maxwells‘ blog?

it was so much fun it didn’t feel like schoolwork.

Wow. Since when is it okay to have - dare I say the f-word? - fun in Maxhell?

  • Upvote 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.