IGNORED

Maxwell 46: Relegating the Kids' Table to the Vestibule

Coconut Flan

I think phonics is taught in English schools here, I’m not sure. It doesn’t make much sense to me, English is not a phonetic language. And it doesn’t take regional accents into account either. 
I have no memories of learning to read, apparently I taught myself. 

• Upvote 5

In my post to @Bluebirdbluebell,  I meant to say that bolted flour is NOT that easy to find.  Breadtopia does have it though along with a bunch of other flours.  They were out of stock of some flours last year, but I don't know about this year.  

I did order some whole wheat flour from the Milk Street store  last spring when flour was so har to get.  It was stone-ground by a small miller.  It was superb flour, but it was really expensive -at least $25 dollars for a 5 pound sack.  I didn't get more than 1 or two pounds.  (King Arthur, by comparison is around $5/5 pounds.)

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I think phonics is taught in English schools here, I’m not sure. It doesn’t make much sense to me, English is not a phonetic language. And it doesn’t take regional accents into account either. 

This! My daughter is learning to read with phonics, so she's trying to sound out all.the.words. I've given up on some of them and I just tell her, "Sorry, sweety, you've just gotta know what that one is because it doesn't follow any of the rules."

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, Bethy said:

This! My daughter is learning to read with phonics, so she's trying to sound out all.the.words. I've given up on some of them and I just tell her, "Sorry, sweety, you've just gotta know what that one is because it doesn't follow any of the rules."

Yeah, this doesn’t make sense either. Teaching kids a load of rules, but oh no, wait, loads of words don’t follow those rules. Way to confuse kids.

• Upvote 5

There's a classic bit from I Love Lucy where Ricky is stymied by the unphonetic nature of English spelling:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

All three kids here did jolly phonics with their schools.  It has it place, I disliked having to do a song for every sound and the actions but it is a good starter.  But yes, this year for pandemic homeschooling I am having to teach my grade one that the rules aren't always the rules.  There are words that you just have to know.

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Ah, but the Maxwells don’t read or watch the news, remember? They hear about current events by overhearing people discussing them in the grocery store or at church, I guess.

Stevehovah once said they got their news from “well-vetted pro-life sites.” That limits the information and opinions they’re exposed to.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Eyeroll 6
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 3

@mango_fandango ah the hell that is phonics. I went to an assembly on that when my youngest was at infant school. They showed the word "mayonaise" in its written phonetically, its the length of and contains all of the letters of the alphabet. What is comes down to is, they teach them phonics and then! they teach them to forget phonics as its doesn't work with English, and then they teach them to read. I am so glad youngest is now Y8 because I just cant deal with the stupidity.

I shall not get started on "chunking" as my head will spin and I will vomit green.... ?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

19 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

My mom claims I was reading at a year and a half.

My grandmother also said that about the same time, I could “count to ten*.”  OK, maybe I could say the words in order, but that doesn’t mean I knew what they meant.

*Although apparently, about half the time, I forgot “seven.” ?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

My mom claims I was reading at a year and a half.

My grandmother also said that about the same time, I could “count to ten*.”  OK, maybe I could say the words in order, but that doesn’t mean I knew what they meant.

*Although apparently, about half the time, I forgot “seven.” ?

My oldest could read at 4, but had zero idea about the meaning or context of the words. My youngest starting reading at six, but never read an early reader. He read chapter books with a full understanding at age 6. I think true reading is the whole shebang. True reading and not forced reading develops lifelong readers. Not everyone is ready to read based on a certain age!

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

You just never know what crew we might have for Sunday lunches.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but it might be sarcasm. Maybe they invite the brothers but they don't show up

• Upvote 5

Anna and Jesse are looking radiant lately. I do think they are a love match. (is Bridgerton is getting to my head?) 

And Sarah dear, could you please stop using the words threesome and foursome when referring to your family? It makes us worldly people feel a tad uncomfortable. 

942135927_ScreenShot2021-02-22at12_05_26PM.png.73a6284f342d71aded7f8c28bbeb137f.png2070162308_ScreenShot2021-02-22at12_05_40PM.png.19299188d21ac0d457c5d8be3e3556a7.png

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 22

1 hour ago, freejugar said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but it might be sarcasm. Maybe they invite the brothers but they don't show up

And the last picture of Sunday burrito lunch there is only the lady from church (wondering why the hell a picture is being taken)— still a crew. I feel so badly for Sarah. All the little brothers gone and married. I agree Jesse looks great and they appear a good match. OfJesse must have a lot of spark, because they are renting in the city. 

• Upvote 14

I like that they let Arnold be a regular cat and climb into the cabinet to watch the action.  That's something I never expected in Steve Maxwell's house.  

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3

Anna and Jesse do look very happy together. Anna does look like she has some spunk. Good for them for breaking away somewhat from Steve. Now if only they would stop wanting to take away other people's rights. 

In general I think that the Maxwell sons have picked their wives without a lot of arranging between the parents. Correct if I'm wrong. Maybe Chris and NR Anna had some arranging but I suspect they were the only ones with a no touch courtship. But I don't get the impression that Steve and Teri put pressure on any of the boys to find a girl and any good Christian girl would do. If you compare to most of the courtship stories for the Bontrager kids where the parents obviously just want to get them married off, feelings be damned.

Maybe Steve and Teri didn't actually want the boys to get married that much. But the boys had a bit more freedom so if they really wanted to find someone then they could. Now if only the girls would be free to find a mate. But I doubt any of them will.

• Upvote 14

Joe and Elissa had a no touch courtship— his second, after Elizabeth Munk. I think John totally picked Chelsy, he referred to her as his firecracker. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 2/21/2021 at 2:06 PM, Bethy said:

My son’s teacher calls them “trick words” because they don’t follow the rules. I literally just said yesterday that spellings often don’t make sense. I was talking to my 8 year old about the word “shoe.” 

• Upvote 5

Has anyone else ever read the example that one could logically spell fish "ghoti" by following the way letters are pronounced in English? I remember reading it in a Childcraft edition, or annual back in the 80s.

blog.jpg.4f49d411f51ed5b7706090da09e96858.jpg

• Upvote 13
  • WTF 5
  • Love 3

Regarding Stevehovah’s obsession with buying debt-free houses: That’s something that made sense for many people of his and my generation, and our parents’, particularly for people planning to stay in the same house for the rest of their lives. It used to be a foregone conclusion that a house would appreciate in value.

Then the ‘80s came. Mortgage rates started skyrocketing and house prices were low. Then mortgage rates got lower and house prices rose. Then all kinds of shenanigans started happening. People who had to sell their homes, because of career moves or whatever, often had a hard time getting buyers to pay as much as the sellers had spent in the first place. This was great for first time home buyers who wanted to stay put—but then people who had planned to stay put couldn’t. Case on point: my daughter. She took a job teaching in another part of the state, and she and her husband had to unload their house in a short sale.

An investment advisor, back around the late ‘80s, pointed out that “Your home is likely a lousy financial investment.” I was shocked at the time. Recently, though, I compared the rising value of my 401ks with that of my house, and he’s right. The main reason I’m staying in my house for now is that it’s paid off and cheaper than renting.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

59 minutes ago, Hane said:

An investment advisor, back around the late ‘80s, pointed out that “Your home is likely a lousy financial investment.” I was shocked at the time. Recently, though, I compared the rising value of my 401ks with that of my house, and he’s right. The main reason I’m staying in my house for now is that it’s paid off and cheaper than renting.

We live in a place that has become a very "hot" real estate market recently.  It's amazing to see how much we could get for our house now compared to what we paid for it.  That sounds great except we'd need to move to a cheaper part of the state or country  in order to see any of that profit.  Changing jobs, friends,  leaving relatives, etc.

And as soon as those very low mortgage rates start going up that hot market will cool off.

We're also staying put for the same reason as you.  We might sell one day to down size, but otherwise it's cheaper to stay put for now.

• Upvote 8

Joe and Elissa's living room looks nice I really like the fireplace.  Of course they went to a pro pregnancy rally on Roe v Wade day.  I don't see how any of the grandkids could enjoy playing with Teri.  She doesn't look like the fun type.  Debbie looks a lot like Abby and Benji.  Anna gets stuck watching Nate and Melanie's kids again.  Is Steve allowed to eat burritos.

• Upvote 4

@kpmom , it all comes down to the old real estate rule, “Location, location, location.” Someone I know built her home in a fancy New Jersey suburb in 1985, the same year I built mine in a blue collar town in Connecticut. A couple of years ago she sold it for $475,000. I’ll be lucky to get $200,000 for mine. The picture-perfect raised ranch behind my house recently sold for $158,000.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, Baxter said:

In general I think that the Maxwell sons have picked their wives without a lot of arranging between the parents. Correct if I'm wrong. Maybe Chris and NR Anna had some arranging but I suspect they were the only ones with a no touch courtship. But I don't get the impression that Steve and Teri put pressure on any of the boys to find a girl and any good Christian girl would do. If you compare to most of the courtship stories for the Bontrager kids where the parents obviously just want to get them married off, feelings be damned.

I remember a post from years ago where they said they visited with Anna’s family during one of tours. Afterwards Sarah suggested to Steve that NR-Anna would be a good match for Chris. Chris then started the courtship.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

Anti-choice crap aside, the random life posts are probably the most interesting thing on the blog these days. 3Anna is a very pretty girl and I hope doesn’t lose that spark. I find it rather disheartening that Arnold seems to have more freedom than his humans do. Steve is looking really drawn but I chalk that up to weigh loss and age (I look that way when I’m thinner as well) than I do to dodgy health.

I have no idea how reading is taught these days, nor do I remember how it was taught when I was in grade school in the late 50s/early 60s. I know I was reading before I started school and the only thing I really remember was SRA and blowing through it in second grade. When my daughter was a toddler, Hooked on Phonics was a very big thing and my parents bought if for her. It turned out to be a big waste because she was a spontaneous reader at around 2-1/2, which we discovered one day when she picked up an anniversary card my grandmother sent us and read the whole thing. Freaked us the fuck out, let me tell you. We had no idea that was even a thing. (To balance it out, she was kind of a late talker.) We gave the unopened Hooked on Phonics to our neighbor.   

2 hours ago,  Hane said: 

@kpmom , it all comes down to the old real estate rule, “Location, location, location.” Someone I know built her home in a fancy New Jersey suburb in 1985, the same year I built mine in a blue collar town in Connecticut. A couple of years ago she sold it for $475,000. I’ll be lucky to get $200,000 for mine. 

Our house is nothing remarkable. It’s a small starter cape that was built in 1942, basically a four-room house that had the sunroom converted somewhere along the line and a second floor attic space that was also converted, but just barely. You’d think it wouldn’t be worth much compared to other homes in the area but…it’s located on a cul-de-sac with 20 similar homes so it’s completely set apart from an otherwise busy part of town and it’s got a 1/4 acre lot, one of the biggest on the block.  Houses here, even when the market isn’t hot, typically don’t last a week on the market. It’s a very desirable neighborhood, the kind that you really don’t see anymore, with a real nostalgic community feel that looks like it could be a set for Ozzie and Harriet or Leave It to Beaver (look ‘em up, young people!)

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic