Jump to content
IGNORED

Safe At Home 6: PIGS ARE FLYING! Luke is Engaged!


nelliebelle1197

Recommended Posts

I see homechurching amongst fundies just like I see homeschooling. They only do it because they want to keep their children away from the world. They only want their beliefs and ideas to be taught to their children. Nothing else! If they are exposed to different biblical interpretations, they might disagree with dad! They might start thinking for themselves! And we can’t have that. 

  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Mark is 39 so 15 years ago he was 24. By that time he had an older brother that was 27 (Paul) and 25 (John) who from our view didn't have any serious girlfriends so why would he think he would be married and having kids in the near future.

snip

*I know, I know there is a house through the trees that some of the boys may (or may not) now live in but that is still a trail away from the mothership. 

And the house through the trees probably only exists because even their large house isn't big enough space for all 16 adults. I'm willing to bet nothing that wouldn't happen in the big house goes on in that house. If Paul decided he wanted to have a few beers and invite some people over on Friday night, my money is on Mark squealing on him.

Years ago, Mark and Luke used to have personal diaries posted on their website. Years worth of diary entries. I felt like such a voyeur 🤭 reading them and hoped they were fully on board with such personal stuff being posted. I remember Luke being really focused on his weight loss journey, talking a lot about food and workouts. On the other hand, Mark focused quite a bit on his dream girl. What she'd be like, where he'd find her, and generally what he expected of her. Even then I remember thinking - and what about YOU? What will you be bringing to this fantasy relationship? What do you see as YOUR growth opportunities? It was always about the woman and what he decided he would need from her.

So it's not surprising that he's now pushing 40 and still hasn't bumped into that perfect "girl".  Ridiculous standards aside, he lives at home (or the auxiliary home), has no plans to ever branch his photography business outside of the FamTeam, and is deeply - disturbingly, really - enmeshed with his parents and siblings.  

And so, Mark and the other FamTeam boys, if you truly want a fulfilling marriage and a family, maybe it's time to start thinking about what a perspective future wife might be looking for in a husband rather than just what you want. To help you get started, here's one key word for you - Independence. 

  • Upvote 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They need to follow the Maxwell example and accept they are no longer "relevant" and stop with the public persona, I'm not sure who, with the exception of family, is interested in seeing old photos of the family, seeing old videos, reading old diary entries. Also, the four older golden man boys should maybe contact Sarah regarding advice on how to leave the borg and have a life when one has entered "middle age".

 

  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

They need to follow the Maxwell example and accept they are no longer "relevant" and stop with the public persona, I'm not sure who, with the exception of family, is interested in seeing old photos of the family, seeing old videos, reading old diary entries. Also, the four older golden man boys should maybe contact Sarah regarding advice on how to leave the borg and have a life when one has entered "middle age".

 

Except with them, I'm not sure it was ever about fame or relevance. I think for the parents it was always about keeping them safe at home,as an unindividuated hive.

I still find it so weird that in one video from years ago, mom is watching the movie "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." Dangling the possibility of marriage in front of them but even then sending the message that every action must be done as a group, not individually.

  • Upvote 12
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 1:17 AM, livinginthelight said:

Except with them, I'm not sure it was ever about fame or relevance. I think for the parents it was always about keeping them safe at home,as an unindividuated hive.

I still find it so weird that in one video from years ago, mom is watching the movie "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." Dangling the possibility of marriage in front of them but even then sending the message that every action must be done as a group, not individually.

You might be on to something here. Maybe if they want to find a spouse they should look for a group of say 4 deeply enmeshed sisters that all want to marry brothers. 

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that if it wasn’t taboo, fundie parents would push their children to marry their fundie cousins. Many other insular groups in history married cousins. But since it’s taboo today, they just push their fundie cousins and siblings to be their pretend boyfriends/girlfriends and BFFs. 

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re that video posted today: I can't handle the singing, nor can I handle that Mary's hair is almost exactly Cathy's 1950's housewife style that she wears. Ick. I will, however, note that they are relatively nice looking people until they open their mouths (literally, they have that strange 'Arndt' face and figuratively because their values make them a-holes). LOL.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Eastcoastn said:

Re that video posted today: I can't handle the singing, nor can I handle that Mary's hair is almost exactly Cathy's 1950's housewife style that she wears. Ick. I will, however, note that they are relatively nice looking people until they open their mouths (literally, they have that strange 'Arndt' face and figuratively because their values make them a-holes). LOL.

Agree, although arguably Bert and Nan Bobbsey here sound better than the manboys who always sing at Sunday service. That's torturous. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2022 at 5:20 PM, Eastcoastn said:

Re that video posted today: I can't handle the singing, nor can I handle that Mary's hair is almost exactly Cathy's 1950's housewife style that she wears. Ick. I will, however, note that they are relatively nice looking people until they open their mouths (literally, they have that strange 'Arndt' face and figuratively because their values make them a-holes). LOL.

Where is the video? On Facebook, the last video I see is from April.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Petronella said:

Where is the video? On Facebook, the last video I see is from April.

On their YouTube page :) 

  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Petronella said:

Where is the video? On Facebook, the last video I see is from April.

YouTube and FB. They've been posting quite a bit on YouTube lately.

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Did you see Paul's update on the land? He mentions grandkids which, I'm assuming they will have some someday, but why the heck would you assume you and your wife and kids are going to live on the Arndt compound?? Do you really not want to get away from your parents that badly?

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Eastcoastn said:

why the heck would you assume you and your wife and kids are going to live on the Arndt compound?

Just more evidence of profound enmeshment. These boys literally cannot imagine individuating enough to live away from their parents and brothers.  

It's a monastery where all the monks are related and have taken an involuntary vow of chastity. 

  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Howl said:

Just more evidence of profound enmeshment. These boys literally cannot imagine individuating enough to live away from their parents and brothers.  

It's a monastery where all the monks are related and have taken an involuntary vow of chastity. 

I think they are voluntarily “chaste.”   They’ve made choices.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're brainwashed/ coerced/ guilted into choosing something is it really voluntary?

  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

If you're brainwashed/ coerced/ guilted into choosing something is it really voluntary?

That can always be argued here on FJ. Some people draw the line at adulthood. Some don’t. But people join cults as adults and aren’t born into it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:
12 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

If you're brainwashed/ coerced/ guilted into choosing something is it really voluntary?

That can always be argued here on FJ. Some people draw the line at adulthood. Some don’t. But people join cults as adults and aren’t born into it. 

It's essentially Stockholm Syndrome,  except  they are born into captivity, rather than being kidnapped or taken as hostages.

  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

It's essentially Stockholm Syndrome,  except  they are born into captivity, rather than being kidnapped or taken as hostages.

At their age, and knowing they've been out and about in the world, they are now responsible for their own lives.

  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, gustava said:

At their age, and knowing they've been out and about in the world, they are now responsible for their own lives.

And one would think that some of them would see how the world is, compare it to the very limited existence at home, and want out.  And do it.

One of the things that woke me up to the very enmeshed existence in my own family home was actually getting out and traveling on my own at bit.    Once I had a taste of that, I knew I could not stay for long, tolerated it enough to get through college but once I graduated I had a plan to be out of there ASAP.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:42 PM, Eastcoastn said:

Did you see Paul's update on the land? He mentions grandkids which, I'm assuming they will have some someday, but why the heck would you assume you and your wife and kids are going to live on the Arndt compound?? Do you really not want to get away from your parents that badly?

When I got married my folks were upset that I was not going to live nearby.  They actually expected me to stay in the neighborhood, even though I wasn't moving that far away, about an hour away.   You would think I was moving to very ends of the earth the way they carried on.

I honestly saw that expectation as tantamount to never moving out.  I needed that distance, I wanted the distance actually.  If Mr. No was willing to comply, I would have said "hell, no!"

When I see the extreme enmeshment going on this family, I just marvel that any of them can stand it, much less think there's nothing wrong.

  • Upvote 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2022 at 3:42 PM, 0 kids n not countin said:

They need to follow the Maxwell example and accept they are no longer "relevant" and stop with the public persona, I'm not sure who, with the exception of family, is interested in seeing old photos of the family, seeing old videos, reading old diary entries. Also, the four older golden man boys should maybe contact Sarah regarding advice on how to leave the borg and have a life when one has entered "middle age".

 

I used to joke the Arndts could dig a tunnel under the Maxwell to help the girls escape. But the girls rescued theirselves! So, see that, Arndtboys! You, too, can rescue yourselves.

  • Upvote 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m just disappointed he calls her Catie and not Cathy, like mom 😂

798F9306-4F4B-49F6-9069-B4246CCD98DD.jpeg

  • Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 29
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy Shit!! An Arndt is getting married? Hell done froze over!!! 

  • Upvote 12
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where does Luke fall in the order?  Will all the man boys be best men?  Will they live on the property?  So many questions!

Penguins are flying!!! 

Edited by ContrastingButtons
  • Upvote 13
  • Haha 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • nelliebelle1197 changed the title to Safe At Home 6: PIGS ARE FLYING! Luke is Engaged!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Trending Content

  • Recent Status Updates

    • KnittingOwl

      KnittingOwl

      First snow storm of the season hit today. It got windy tonight, and we lost power. Somehow this continues to be a shock to PSE. Why they refuse to upgrade the infrastructure or do something so that 10s of thousands of people don’t lose power and heat literally every time it’s windy, I do not understand. We live in the Pacific Northwest. It gets windy!
      · 2 replies
    • louisa05

      louisa05

      Nebraska's new football coach is an evangelical bullshit artist who participates in "Man Up Ministries" conferences in the off season. Their motto is "Fighting for Biblical Manhood". Excuse me while I go vomit. 
      · 2 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      Don't know I'd charge quite that much though.
       

      · 0 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      Wisconsin’s first thanksgiving 

      · 0 replies
    • mango_fandango

      mango_fandango

      Long time no visit…
      COVID has finally caught up with me. Dad tested positive first, last Friday, then my mother, brother and I all tested positive today. Main symptom is feeling really really tired. Hopefully it doesn’t get much worse 🤞 
      · 1 reply
    • 47of74

      47of74

      Yeah probably not the best place to put that quote...

      · 0 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      If I still did the Catholic thing with confession this would be the priest who heard mine..

      · 0 replies
    • BlackberryGirl

      BlackberryGirl

      Do I wear it?
      i was given a vintage, 70 year old mink coat. It fits like it was made for me. Somehow my cousin, who is 8 years older than me came into 3 gorgeous fur coats from a granddaughter of a woman her mother knew. We’re talking women who died in the mid 60’s.  None of them would fit her or any other of the women in my family. Yay for essentially being a ball. Everyone else is about 5’7 or more and all outweigh me by 50+. 
       
      it is just gorgeous. What women in Skokie and Highland Park many years ago, when I still lived there would call a “serviceable” fur. It was the fur they’d wear to a good restaurant, but not the opera or symphony.
      do I wear it? I’d love to, and I live in hunting country so fur isn’t looked down on. But is it wrong?  Arrrgh god its pretty.
      · 5 replies
    • JoyfulSel

      JoyfulSel

      A modern day love story: Guy reaches out to you, you think he's cute so you start talking to him, give him your number. Guy then messages if you're free, you reply yes, guy never responds again. Love that. 👌
      · 1 reply
    • Maggie Mae

      Maggie Mae

      Ugh people who comment on height are the worst. 
      · 1 reply
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.