IGNORED

Bontrager/Bowers 8: Cringeworthy

samurai_sarah

The Helferich family doesn't do public social media or much publicity. Last time I posted I thought they might be against it until I realized that they were fine with the Bontragers livestreaming both Praise and Jeremiah's weddings, so it's more likely that while they don't mind it, they don't see the need to publicize themselves as a fundie family in the same way that the Bontragers do. I respect that. They own a construction company (and maybe farm); they are not a ministry family that needs to broadcast their message or drum up audiences for shows.

That leaves little for us to speculate on about Jeremiah, since not much has been published.  I agree that he looks rigid and nervous in pictures, @Melissa1977, but what I conclude from that is that Jeremiah doesn't like pictures and publicity and stiffens up when a camera is on him; I think your final guess that he's shy in pictures is right. I don't really think we can come to many conclusions about what he's like in his family or in private from the few pictures we have of him.

However, I DO agree with you all that we can speculate about Allison's marriage from what she's posting on Instagram, and I agree that she's not particularly happy. That manly men rant reads like she's trying to convince herself that he's meeting whatever ideal she set. Instead of trying to get to know the real person inside Jeremiah she's trying to push him into some sort of mold? I agree that the lack of "blessed pregnancy" posts is highly suspicious.

John Maxwell is not only fun and outgoing and talkative, but he also owns his own home AND owns his own business. (And it's one he founded, not one Steve pushed him into!) FJ doubted his irrigation knowhow when we first found out about his business, but it seems to be doing well, if he's flying all over the country. Chelsy really enjoyed travelling with him when they were first married and he brought her along on business trips, and she also seems to be enjoying pregnancy and motherhood. Her pregnancy wardrobe posts, for example, aren't particularly groundbreaking or exciting, but do show a fair amount of satisfaction with her life and choices. Chelsy and Allison are clearly different people, and Chelsy definitely seems like someone who is much happier with life in general, but the contrast between the two sisters on social media at comparable points in their marriages is pretty clear. Allison is NOT happy.

Edited by Jigsaw3
Typo & extra quote box, sigh...
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I agree with the previous posters who state we really don't know all that much about Jeremiah, other than he seems pretty uncomfortable in the spotlight and does not have a social media presence.  So I am not comfortable speculating about his role as a husband.  My opinion about the content of Allison's IG's is that she misses her role as an influencer of young women. I think she thrives on the admiration of others and she may not be getting the same satisfaction from SAH wifery.  Her SILs in MN have their own lives and probably aren't paying a lot of attention to her

There's a superficiality to her messages that I don't notice when Chelsy posts in her blog.  I only see a lot of canned Christian fundie content.  Maybe she will develop some depth of character through her struggles.

• Upvote 13

Chelsy had a home where she immediately began hosting people too— mom and sisters, the whole family, friends. Allison clearly has none of that. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 2

In fairness to Allison's husband, he looks much more relaxed and happy in candid photos.  There is a photo on instagram (I believe Allison was tagged, but it may have been her family's account that was tagged), where he is talking with a group of people and laughing at his wedding reception.  And Chelsy has a few shots of Jeremiah & Allison in the days before their wedding where they are both smiling and seemed comfortable with one another.  http://www.chelsyrenee.com/search/label/travels

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

I can’t shake the fact that jeremiah dragged a women to church. That right there gives me a bad feeling and turns me off to thinking he is a good person. I would never speculate about spousal abuse but if he is capable of dragging a women to church he doesn’t know them who knows. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

Yet another fundie pilot. All the fundies used to want to be pastors. Now they all want to be pilots. Where did he get the money for a damn plane? Isn’t he like, 18?

C5C60320-6A25-4A5E-A7BE-07F132E570A0.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 1

55 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yet another fundie pilot. All the fundies used to want to be pastors. Now they all want to be pilots. Where did he get the money for a damn plane? Isn’t he like, 18?

C5C60320-6A25-4A5E-A7BE-07F132E570A0.jpeg

I think he (Christian?) is actually 16, this year 17, though he looks quite a lot older. I think it's his hairstyle that makes me think middle aged men.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

I think he (Christian?) is actually 16, this year 17, though he looks quite a lot older. I think it's his hairstyle that makes me think middle aged men.

He’s child #5 in the Bowers family so he’s definitely around that age. I can’t imagine a teen buying a freaking plane. 

• Upvote 12

I thought the fundy answer to the question is always "I prayed and the Lord provided me with a plane"

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1

Ok dang. Yeah I think the Bowers boys have some sort of income stream that is not public. I’ve been starting to notice all the teenage (16-21 y/o) Bowers driving these $40k trucks and now their 16 y/o bought himself a plane?! And they seem to have plenty of time to travel wherever, whenever. And obviously these people believe strongly against going into debt, so...I’d love to know. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

It's not uncommon to see teenage pilots in the US. If you have the time and dedication, and if your family is into aviation, you'll probably have your pilot's certificate (license) before you get your driver's license. 

A teenager with his own plane is less common. Most kids don't have that kind of cash lying around and most parents wouldn't be dumb enough to finance it. From the front (as shown in the picture), that looks like a model of light sport aircraft that could run you six-figures on the open market depending on its age/condition/configuration. Even if purchased at a discount, it's definitely more than a fully-loaded pickup truck.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I thought the fundy answer to the question is always "I prayed and the Lord provided me with a plane"

Wait, is something in this realm a post count title yet? I'm 50/50 over whether or not I've seen it, but if not it needs to be. It's very in the vein of 'Jesus is my Realtor' and 'Got a horse from God.' 

• Upvote 2

Now she's put her latest real men gibberish on her blob.

This girl is nothing if not obsessive. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

This is what makes me sad. She has a lot of young ladies following her and I feel they take what she says to heart. I believe it is harmful to them and they don’t know it. 

43F0DB35-AE02-4362-8852-D43C1BF2A4B1.jpeg

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 4

I like how her post sounds like a direct jab at Lawson Bates. ?

She must have dated a guy just like him before settling for Mr. Unpolished. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I'm amazed that she hasn't deleted that comment yet!

Either she hasn’t seen it yet, or she’s keeping it up to feed her fundie persecution complex. 

• Upvote 4

I wonder what she considers a “fake” man to be? She has a lot of expectations for a man, and I think for herself. Must be hard to live up to them. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I wonder what she considers a “fake” man to be? She has a lot of expectations for a man, and I think for herself. Must be hard to live up to them. 

Her mother expects 2 year olds to understand and behave as adults. Of course Allison has high expectations, she has been raised on absurd ideals.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Her mother expects 2 year olds to understand and behave as adults. Of course Allison has high expectations, she has been raised on absurd ideals.

Remember how Becky doesn’t allow her toddlers to be shy? Jeremiah seems quiet to me. Not shy. Just not outgoing and talkative like Marlin. I wonder if Becky disapproves of that personality trait of Jeremiah’s. 

• Upvote 7

Hey guys I’m new here!

Been lurking on and off ever since DP’s fall. I’ve spent some time with the Bons (and others who are famous on here). They’re kind of a VF replacement for many people with the events they host and such.

Anyway thought I’d finally say hi. A lot of your speculation is spot on.

• Upvote 31

22 hours ago, Seeingwithopeneyes said:

Hey guys I’m new here!

Been lurking on and off ever since DP’s fall. I’ve spent some time with the Bons (and others who are famous on here). They’re kind of a VF replacement for many people with the events they host and such.

Anyway thought I’d finally say hi. A lot of your speculation is spot on.

Welcome. Just out of interest, which parts of the speculation are spot on?

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5

Chelsy chopped off her hair. I would say a good 6 or maybe 8 inches. Lolly Hale posted a picture with her. 

The Bontragers and Allison went to a wedding this weekend. They didn’t say who the bride and groom are. At first I thought it might be Celia Craig. But I didn’t find a single registry for her or Joseph so I doubt it was them. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic