IGNORED

Bontrager/Bowers 8: Cringeworthy

samurai_sarah

On 3/21/2021 at 5:56 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Elliot Page was at time not transgender, but a lesbian. 

Someone who transitions is always transgender, even from birth. How one is presenting their gender at any given point has nothing to do with being trans. I am not sure why you felt the need to post this, but Ellen Page was Elliot Page back then and not a lesbian no matter how he was presenting.

• Upvote 12
  • Confused 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Not that we know of. Last post was just 10 days ago. 

Last time I checked I couldn‘t access their blog. But now it‘s working again.

12 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Someone who transitions is always transgender, even from birth. How one is presenting their gender at any given point has nothing to do with being trans. I am not sure why you felt the need to post this, but Ellen Page was Elliot Page back then and not a lesbian no matter how he was presenting.

I could be wrong, but I think @Bluebirdbluebell was trying to clarify how Elliot was presenting at the point when he met the Bontragers, because the original poster said she wasn't sure if Elliot was out yet. 

The language around transgender individuals can be tricky at times, and it can be easy to trip up. I do it myself, and I feel like I'm fairly well educated on the subject (mostly). 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

15 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I thought I was answering someone's else question. I did not explain it in the proper manner, but I thought I was clarifying something for someone else. Clearly I need to learn more about transgender language/issues. I didn't mean to offend anyone. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

No wedding photos yet, but in the most recent Bontrager blog post, there are two photos of Liz wearing a Jed! campaign shirt. That combined with the photo of Liz and one of the Duggar girls (Johannah?) has me wondering about a Duggar match rather than a Bowers one. Or maybe she's just best friends with one of the girls. ?‍♀️

I suppose there are still three Duggar sons within a reasonable age range, even if Liz is only 17.

2A311F8C-794D-4003-9FBC-6381E43E7229_1_2

• Upvote 6

Which set of newlyweds does the "dinner at the newlyweds' house" picture in the blog post refer to? Denver and Praise, I suppose?

Also, no mentions of vaccinations, yet housefuls of unmasked visitors. Yikes.

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Aithuia said:

No wedding photos yet, but in the most recent Bontrager blog post, there are two photos of Liz wearing a Jed! campaign shirt. That combined with the photo of Liz and one of the Duggar girls (Johannah?) has me wondering about a Duggar match rather than a Bowers one. Or maybe she's just best friends with one of the girls. ?‍♀️

I suppose there are still three Duggar sons within a reasonable age range, even if Liz is only 17.

2A311F8C-794D-4003-9FBC-6381E43E7229_1_2

I think Liz is close friends with Johannah. She was probably happy to go help out with the campaign of her close friend’s brother. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Aithuia said:

I suppose there are still three Duggar sons within a reasonable age range, even if Liz is only 17

She can marry at 18. Her mom married at 18 (or 19?) and I'm sure they are already praying for Liz to marry. 

I'm so lost with the Duggar Howlers. Which one is still single? Jackson, James and the non-Jed!-twin? Is any of them actually working?

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Melissa1977 said:

She can marry at 18. Her mom married at 18 (or 19?) and I'm sure they are already praying for Liz to marry. 

I'm so lost with the Duggar Howlers. Which one is still single? Jackson, James and the non-Jed!-twin? Is any of them actually working?

Jackson and Liz are similar in age and she’s seemingly close friends Johannah. Who was always closest with Jackson when they were little. But I would hope Jackson doesn’t become another teenage groom. I truly hope Justin was the first and last. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jackson and Liz are similar in age and she’s seemingly close friends Johannah. Who was always closest with Jackson when they were little. But I would hope Jackson doesn’t become another teenage groom. I truly hope Justin was the first and last. 

I think Johannah's age is like my eldest, so Jackson must be 1 year older than my kid. Imagining a high school boy engaged makes me suffocate! 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think Johannah's age is like my eldest, so Jackson must be 1 year older than my kid. Imagining a high school boy engaged makes me suffocate! 

If Justin went to public school, he would still be in his senior year of high school. It’s crazy to think about. 

• Upvote 8

Also, I'm not sure how I managed to not realize this when I first looked at the blog post, but Liz is wearing a ring on her left hand in several of the photos. Is the whole purity ring custom common among fundies, or could that be a promise ring?

A6A3667F-CEE2-4563-88BA-CA2964C85DBC.hei

My apologies for stirring up speculation if this is all nothing, but the Bontragers have married off their children very fast and very young over the last three years. And they unfortunately don't share our qualms about teenage marriage.

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, Aithuia said:

Also, I'm not sure how I managed to not realize this when I first looked at the blog post, but Liz is wearing a ring on her left hand in several of the photos. Is the whole purity ring custom common among fundies, or could that be a promise ring?

A6A3667F-CEE2-4563-88BA-CA2964C85DBC.hei

My apologies for stirring up speculation if this is all nothing, but the Bontragers have married off their children very fast and very young over the last three years. And they unfortunately don't share our qualms about teenage marriage.

It’s hard to say since so many fundies wear promise rings. 

• Upvote 4

None of the Bontragers have married as teens. The youngest couple to marry ever was Joshua and Cassidy, and they both married at 20 years of age. 

I'm sure they're thinking about Liz getting married sooner than later, but I'm not sure whether she's old enough or not. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that was a purity ring from Marlin. 

• Upvote 5

Sometimes I wonder if the Bontrager parents will be less pushy about marriage with the youngest four. I could easily see them looking at their 10 children all still at home and half of them legal adults thinking, “we have to do something.” Which meant them fervently praying/pushing their children to marry the next person who catches their eye. Having 4 kids at home is nothing compared to 10. I wonder if they will become lax about their marriage prayers since there are only 4.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

@Aithuia to answer your question, yes, purity rings are extremely common among fundies. I remember one of the Duggar or Bates daughters having to remove hers from her left ring finger as she got engaged, too, so Liz’s ring doesn’t sound any alarm bells to me. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Who is writing the blog now? Is it Liz or Rebecca? It's not an advertisement for Bontrager homeschooling: it's riddled with spelling mistakes and the overuse of exclamation marks makes me cringe.

I'm very interested in that shot of the newlyweds' house -- yes, I'm pretty sure it's Praise and Denver's. It looks nice, not fully furnished and decorated but in a good, just-starting-out kind of way. It's definitely a contrast to what we've been shown of Allison's home, which seems to be an already established house that doesn't reflect Allison and Jeremiah.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Who is writing the blog now? Is it Liz or Rebecca? It's not an advertisement for Bontrager homeschooling: it's riddled with spelling mistakes and the overuse of exclamation marks makes me cringe.

I'm very interested in that shot of the newlyweds' house -- yes, I'm pretty sure it's Praise and Denver's. It looks nice, not fully furnished and decorated but in a good, just-starting-out kind of way. It's definitely a contrast to what we've been shown of Allison's home, which seems to be an already established house that doesn't reflect Allison and Jeremiah.

It must be Liz writing the blog now. I also like what I can see of Denver’s house. It looks like an older home based on the wood trim. 

• Upvote 4

On 4/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I thought I was answering someone's else question. I did not explain it in the proper manner, but I thought I was clarifying something for someone else. Clearly I need to learn more about transgender language/issues. I didn't mean to offend anyone. 

That is okay. Sorry if it seemed I overreacted.

• Thank You 1

On 3/22/2021 at 11:58 AM, usedbicycle said:

Mitch and Bryn were not arranged but weren't love at first sight either. They knew each other from church growing up. When Bryn came home from college and was still single, Mitch asked her out (at 25 and being the eldest, I'm sure he was feeling some pressure to find a wife). Bryn took some convincing. She admits to dating him "out of curiosity" without thinking it would last, and that their dating relationship was full of ups and downs. 

http://bontragersingers.blogspot.com/2017/10/mitchell-bryns-love-story.html

But I do hope they're happy and that Bryn doesn't feel like she settled. Their kids are very cute!

Perhaps I mis-remember but didn't Mitch say something like, "It's not like she [meaning Bryn] had a lot of other options." I thought that was a really weird thing to say about the woman you just married.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 4

What generation is Grandma Stoltfuz? (Maybe spelt that wrong sorry.) Is she Marlin or Beckys mom, or their grandma? Given how young they marry I’m thinking that it could be the latter, which means that she’d be great-Grandma to all those kids, and great-great-Grandma to the little ones. Still, even for ass young looking an 89 year old as she is, that is a *lot* of progeny in one place.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

What generation is Grandma Stoltfuz? (Maybe spelt that wrong sorry.) Is she Marlin or Beckys mom, or their grandma? Given how young they marry I’m thinking that it could be the latter, which means that she’d be great-Grandma to all those kids, and great-great-Grandma to the little ones. Still, even for ass young looking an 89 year old as she is, that is a *lot* of progeny in one place.

I’m almost positive she’s Becky’s mother. I think Becky is one of the younger ones in her family. So I think her mother was probably a little older when having her. Both Becky and Marlin come from large families. I think one has 11 kids and the other has 9. 

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

@Aithuia to answer your question, yes, purity rings are extremely common among fundies. I remember one of the Duggar or Bates daughters having to remove hers from her left ring finger as she got engaged, too, so Liz’s ring doesn’t sound any alarm bells to me. 

Thank you! I stumbled across these families and this corner of the internet essentially at random and tend to only check in on the goings-on in Maxwellworld and Bontrager-and-adjacents-land, so I don't have too much general fundie knowledge. I'd never win Jeopardy! Fundie Edition. 

16 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Perhaps I mis-remember but didn't Mitch say something like, "It's not like she [meaning Bryn] had a lot of other options." I thought that was a really weird thing to say about the woman you just married.

Yep, he did. Allison asked her brothers what they most looked for in a wife for a blog post back in 2018, and one of their main criteria was.... "Isn't Desperate." That was a very telling glimpse into their particular brand of sexism. I think Mitch was probably trying to make the point that Bryn had priorities beyond just trying to get married, and he did say that "all the guys at her college were apparently blind," but the whole point came across as a no-win situation. Despite knowing that all of the women they met from like-minded families were raised to believe that marriage/motherhood was their greatest calling, Allison's brothers all disparaged women who somehow outwardly signaled that. It was sad to read, honestly.

https://www.fromallison.com/what-mr-right-is-looking-for-in-a-wife/

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aithuia said:

Despite knowing that all of the women they met from like-minded families were raised to believe that marriage/motherhood was their greatest calling, Allison's brothers all disparaged women who somehow outwardly signaled that. It was sad to read, honestly.

https://www.fromallison.com/what-mr-right-is-looking-for-in-a-wife/

Oh, right. "She didn’t have a lot of options (guys), but she wasn’t concerned about it. " I find it ironic that Allison herself conveyed an air of desperation about finding her GYM right until she started courting.

• Upvote 9

It looks like the modesty restrictions for Praise are easing up, which is nice. None of the extra modesty panel BS.

Re: No other options. I wouldn't think it would be reference Bryn. Bryn openly noted that she only went on a date with him out of pure curiosity; she wasn't necessarily looking for a husband and it was super casual initially. My bet would be a reference to Carolina. Carolina and Carson were both very 'meh' about the pairing, while Josh and Cassidy both admitted to having a crush on the other for quite a while before anything started to happen. Carolina and Carson were basically a 'find one spouse, get the second free' for each of the respective families ? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic