IGNORED

United States Senate 2

GreyhoundFan

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

More from Stars and Stripes:

image.png.8b6f1bf381abf69023ce2b0fdcc434fd.png

U.S. Army leaders rallied around a soldier featured in a recruitment video clip that Sen. Ted Cruz mocked as representative of an “emasculated military.”

Cruz, a Texas Republican, retweeted a video Thursday that featured Cpl. Emma Malonelord, an air defense system operator stationed in South Korea.

The original video, part of a five-part series called “The Calling,” showed an animated depiction of Malonelord’s life and the reasons why she joined the military.

The Army was “a way to prove my inner strength and maybe shatter some stereotypes along the way,” Malonelord said in the video, adding that by enlisting, “I answered my calling.”

Cruz retweeted a shorter version of the ad that was juxtaposed with a video of Russian service members staring menacingly into the camera.

“Holy crap,” Cruz said on Twitter to his 4.4 million followers. “Perhaps a woke, emasculated military is not the best idea.”

Cruz’s retweet was shared over 14,500 times and the edited video received over 3 million views. Following his viral tweet, Army leaders expressed support for Malonelord and her service.

U.S. Forces Korea commander Gen. Robert Abrams called Malonelord a “superstar by any measure.”

“For what it’s worth, I met this Corporal a few months ago during a routine unit visit,” Abrams tweeted Friday. “Exceptionally sharp, professional, technical expert, highly respected by her peers, superiors and subordinates.”

The Army Enterprise Marketing Office, which manages the service’s recruitment efforts, also supported Malonelord’s service and added that “it is important that the Soldiers featured in the campaign reflect the incredible diversity of both the Army and the American public.”

“We are now seeing the various tweets of support for Cpl. Malonelord,” AEMO public affairs chief Laura DeFrancisco said in a statement to Stars and Stripes. “She volunteered to tell her story as part of this campaign with the four other soldiers in ‘The Calling.’ We’re glad to see the supportive comments from those who know and work with her.”

DeFrancisco added that Malonelord “is grateful for the support she has received from leaders across the Army.”

Cruz addressed the controversy in a separate tweet and said “lefty” commentators on Twitter were “dishonestly claiming” he was disparaging the military.

“We have the greatest military on earth, but Dem politicians & woke media are trying to turn them into pansies,” Cruz tweeted.

Cruz’s office did not respond to a Stars and Stripes request for comment.

• Upvote 8

Has Ted ever served in the military himself? Of course not. So.. who's the real pansy here?

• I Agree 7

My inner old-movie nerd mocks Ted Cruz heartily. In the popular culture of the Second World War, the women in the service were cherished, and, while there were some sexist images, most were portrayed as strong and smart.

In dramas, they were courageous and useful, in comedies, they were often smarter and tougher than the men (I Was a Male War Bride springs to mind). Most were serving in support or medical roles, but they were still trained members of the armed forces.

So, even if you go by image and stereotype, he's living in his own little world. His idea of what it means to be a soldier is entirely based on the bullshit in his own mind, Not only are women in the service not some modern "woke" anomaly, they are quite traditional.

Not to mention that, in real life, and in the modern world, his mental image is even more ridiculous.

He's such a shit.

• I Agree 12

3 hours ago, Becky said:

“Pansies.”  Holy crap,Ted  Cruz is a piece of work, and by that I mean a piece of shit. What a two-bit bully, just like his Lord and Master,  the other guy. 

Yep. And has equally as much military and community service, and is as fit as the other guy.  

The whole Rambo military stereotype is... well, somewhat dated. Like Cruz.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

It definitely should not be normalized.

• Upvote 13

Lindsey is pathetic:

• Upvote 6

A disgusting ad from a sitting senator:

• Disgust 4

36 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

A disgusting ad from a sitting senator:

Not only is that ad disgusting, they misspelled “believe.” 

• Upvote 4

WTF. Why aren‘t the Democrats getting rid of the filibuster? Why isn‘t there pressure on Munchin (spelling?) to vote in party line? Are the Dem‘s underestimating the GOP? When do they stop treating them as a normal party and instead as the threat to democracy?

Don’t get me wrong. I love Joe Biden. I just fear he acts like we have normal times (show don’t tell and if you’re making a good job voters will automatically move away from the GQP). I hope they will get their shit together.

• I Agree 8

Ted is a hypocrite. No surprise.

• I Agree 11

Marsha, honey, were you frequently dropped on your head as a child? When you are a guest in someone else's electronic house, you risk losing your account if you violate their terms of use. As an old employer of mine would have put it, Trump continually showed his rear end, so they showed him the door.

• Upvote 10

Hmm ?

From CNN "Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin on Sunday defended his decision to vote against a sweeping voting rights bill and reiterated his opposition to gutting the filibuster, declaring in the strongest terms yet that he is not willing to change Senate rules to help his party push through much of President Joe Biden's agenda."

• Thank You 4

7 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Why doesn’t he join the GQP?

Cause that would put Mitch McConnell back in charge.

• Upvote 2

On 5/21/2021 at 5:50 PM, thoughtful said:

My inner old-movie nerd mocks Ted Cruz heartily. In the popular culture of the Second World War, the women in the service were cherished, and, while there were some sexist images, most were portrayed as strong and smart.

In dramas, they were courageous and useful, in comedies, they were often smarter and tougher than the men (I Was a Male War Bride springs to mind). Most were serving in support or medical roles, but they were still trained members of the armed forces.

So, even if you go by image and stereotype, he's living in his own little world. His idea of what it means to be a soldier is entirely based on the bullshit in his own mind, Not only are women in the service not some modern "woke" anomaly, they are quite traditional.

Not to mention that, in real life, and in the modern world, his mental image is even more ridiculous.

He's such a shit.

Somebody needs to tell Cruz about the Night Witches (link to Wikipedia article). Russian female wartime combat pilots. 

The filibuster needs to be GONE like yesterday. In what other job can you block progress like that, by talking forever instead of working? It's obstruction.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

The thing that scares me about ending the filibuster, when the Democrats no longer control the Senate, and it will happen at some point, the Republicans can pass all sorts of awful laws. Sadly, I can see it now- Roe v Wade strongly limited by Senate vote like several states have done. anti GLBTQA legislation passed involving sports and bathrooms, anti climate/environment legislation passed, bills to end the ACA and others.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

The thing that scares me about ending the filibuster, when the Democrats no longer control the Senate, and it will happen at some point, the Republicans can pass all sorts of awful laws. Sadly, I can see it now- Roe v Wade strongly limited by Senate vote like several states have done. anti GLBTQA legislation passed involving sports and bathrooms, anti climate/environment legislation passed, bills to end the ACA and others.

I get your reservations about ending the filibuster, but.. keeping it is undermining democracy as well. And if the Republicans gain control of the Senate again? Well, they had the chance to do what they wanted the past couple of years. All they did was pass that damned tax break for the rich, and couldn't manage to get anything else done, so what would be the difference? 

Also, and this may sound callous, but if the Republicans gain the majority again, then that is the political system you are stuck with at work. If you don't change the system, then things won't get better. And I think that it can only be done by ending the filibuster-- and ending the minority stranglehold on politics.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Also, and this may sound callous, but if the Republicans gain the majority again, then that is the political system you are stuck with at work. If you don't change the system, then things won't get better. And I think that it can only be done by ending the filibuster-- and ending the minority stranglehold on politics.

I'd like to think that as Americans we ARE trying to change the system by having the most people elect democrats in the House, Senate, and White House. However, at this current time, having the majority in all three does nothing, despite the will of the people.

I also don't think we have the Senate, bc Joe Manchin is NOT a democrat.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I've seen some memes that show Manchin as Dino from "The Flintstones", since he's a Democrat In Name Only.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I'd like to think that as Americans we ARE trying to change the system by having the most people elect democrats in the House, Senate, and White House. However, at this current time, having the majority in all three does nothing, despite the will of the people.

Yes, exactly my point. Ending the filibuster is changing the system, and opening the door to even more changes. And I agree with you that the vast majority of Americans themselves are doing their utmost to effectuate change by electing democrats, all the republican roadblocks notwithstanding. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the majority in the Senate will be larger after the midterms next year, so that Manchin an Sinema (is it her or am I confusing her with someone else?) won't be holding the whole country hostage with their republican ideals shining through a threadbare Democrat veil.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Yes, exactly my point. Ending the filibuster is changing the system, and opening the door to even more changes. And I agree with you that the vast majority of Americans themselves are doing their utmost to effectuate change by electing democrats, all the republican roadblocks notwithstanding. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the majority in the Senate will be larger after the midterms next year, so that Manchin an Sinema (is it her or am I confusing her with someone else?) won't be holding the whole country hostage with their republican ideals shining through a threadbare Democrat veil.

Sinema, yes! Although Cher yesterday confused Kyrsten Sinema with Kristin Gillibrand (of NY), so it's easy to confuse :)

I hope I didn't initially come off as aggressive towards you. Ultimately, I'm just so incredibly frustrated with the absolute sht that is playing out in our country. I didn't at all think Biden was going to take over in January, and the Trump issue was going to magically disappear, and all the Senate Republicans were going to suddenly change their tune. I just didn't anticipate how ACTIVE the entire GOP establishment is in running our democracy into the ground.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I hope I didn't initially come off as aggressive towards you.

Oh gosh, no, not at all. Your frustration was dripping off your post and unmistakable, so no worries. We are both on the same page about all this. I think the GQP (I refuse to call them GOP, they don't deserve that moniker) is acting like a cornered rat. They know that they have no chance of winning in free and fair elections, and so they lie, and cheat and make atrocious laws in order to subvert democracy as much as they can, while they still can, in the hopes of overthrowing democracy. To them, democracy is a threat to their very existence. Without it, they can survive. With it, they will not. And in this fight for their very survival, things will only get worse and worse, until they either succeed in their aim, or when they are finally defeated once and for all. 

There is only one thing that can stop them: a complete change to the political system. With federal laws ensuring free and fair elections and which criminalize voter suppression, that abolish the electoral system, and instate a 'popular vote wins' system which defeats the purpose of gerrymandering. But right now, all that just seems like a pipe dream. There does not seem to be the necessary sense of urgency among the Dem politicians, and they are the only ones that can make it happen.

• Upvote 7

Re: getting rid of the filibuster, I don’t see why Dems should refrain from fear of what the GQP might do sans filibuster if they gain control again. I firmly believe that if the GQP does regain control then it won’t matter whether the Dems didn’t get rid of the filibuster because the GQP could just get rid of it at that point themselves if they wanted to.

Might as well just get rid of it now when the Dems could potentially do some good with their majority (if Manchin would stop being an obstructionist asshole ?) and maybe actually manage to stay in power. If they don’t get rid of the filibuster then I think the GQP will win anyhow after gerrymandering and suppressing votes as much as they possibly can. 

Not that the Dems can actually do much as things stand anyhow (thanks Manchin). But I don’t think fear of what the GQP might potentially do in the future should be part of the filibuster consideration. 

Mostly I’m frustrated with the general state of politics right now. I despise partisanship because it honestly seems to be more of a “team spirit” thing than a “what’s best for my constituents” thing. But, that said, if I could imbue Manchin with some team loyalty I’d do it in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 8